PDA

View Full Version : Oddest, Funniest, or Worst thing you've seen in a USTA match?

EasleyTennis
02-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Let's hear it.

saram
02-21-2009, 04:15 PM
Worst thing I saw was two years ago. Saw a player blow out an ankle to the extreme on the court. Worst part about it was that a physician saw the guy in pain on court and just kept on going. Totally ignored the guy on the court.

Never liked "Doc" after that. What an *****.

Guy with the busted ankle could not play for a year--it was that bad of an injury.

cak
02-21-2009, 04:22 PM
At combo sectionals a woman blew out a knee. Had to be taken away in an ambulance.

raiden031
02-22-2009, 02:50 AM
Worst thing I saw was two years ago. Saw a player blow out an ankle to the extreme on the court. Worst part about it was that a physician saw the guy in pain on court and just kept on going. Totally ignored the guy on the court.

Never liked "Doc" after that. What an *****.

Guy with the busted ankle could not play for a year--it was that bad of an injury.

lol about the doc. What is the doc's specialty? Do you think that would make a difference? I mean with an ankle injury there is nothing he can do. He won't have pain meds to give, and can't fix the injury right there. I'm sure if someone passed out for no apparent reason he would jump in because there are things he knows how to do until paramedics arrive.

Topaz
02-22-2009, 02:59 AM
Just the other night, in a mixed match, our male opponent hit his first serve (and he was going for it) right into the back of his partner's head at the net. She was fine, but it was a bit harrowing to watch!

A few years ago, I got pegged while at the net...in the neck. Again, the other person was 'going for it', and it knocked the wind right out of me...a bit scary.

In a warm-up at a doubles tourney, on pretty slick indoor courts, I watched the opponent I was hitting with (and who was wearing regular running sneakers and not tennis shoes) loose her footing, slide, fall, and end up with a kind of 'burn' on both her knees and her chin!

raiden031
02-22-2009, 03:10 AM
I saw a guy do an action roll on a hard court. I've done one myself as well. I felt pain in all parts of my body after that one.

goober
02-22-2009, 03:21 AM
lol about the doc. What is the doc's specialty? Do you think that would make a difference? I mean with an ankle injury there is nothing he can do. He won't have pain meds to give, and can't fix the injury right there.

Actually I agree. If you blow out an ankle, there's really not much he can do other than provide sympathy?

jefferson
02-22-2009, 03:59 AM
I like the guys who pound like 5 beers before the match and then wonder why their timing is off!!! Once in between sets, my opponent asked for a smoke break!!

equinox
02-22-2009, 04:26 AM
old lady, breaking both her wrists trying to stop a fall. Screams of pain were very loud. Needed ambo to stretcher her off the court.

mikeler
02-22-2009, 05:41 AM
I like the guys who pound like 5 beers before the match and then wonder why their timing is off!!! Once in between sets, my opponent asked for a smoke break!!

Maybe you and I played the same smoking opponent. :)

cak
02-22-2009, 06:06 AM
I have seen an USTA men's match where the guy kept his beer in his cup near the back fence.

EasleyTennis
02-22-2009, 06:57 AM
old lady, breaking both her wrists trying to stop a fall. Screams of pain were very loud. Needed ambo to stretcher her off the court.

She didn't finish the match? Pathetic...but seriously two broken wrists would make your life awful for the next few months.

TheGreatestAudia
02-23-2009, 08:50 AM
Actually I agree. If you blow out an ankle, there's really not much he can do other than provide sympathy?

Ummmm....How about wrapping the ankle or getting a splint?! You're right, he couldn't cure him of is injury but he could have helped his pain and made sure it wasn't worse than it was. Give me a break...

goober
02-23-2009, 09:19 AM
Ummmm....How about wrapping the ankle or getting a splint?! You're right, he couldn't cure him of is injury but he could have helped his pain and made sure it wasn't worse than it was. Give me a break...

Making sure it wasn't worse than it was? What does that exactly mean? Making a splint out of what? Seriously, you expect someone to make a splint at a tennis court? Exactly what purpose would it serve? If somebody is sprained their ankle bad enough they can't bear any weight, they should be off their feet not mucking around while somebody makes a splint of who knows what.

In the acute phase ice and wrap it if available and keep him nonweight bearing. Give him a ride to the ER to get xrays. There is nothing that is commonly available on a tennis court that is going to make his pain better immediately.

TheGreatestAudia
02-23-2009, 10:14 AM
Making sure it wasn't worse than it was? What does that exactly mean? Making a splint out of what? Seriously, you expect someone to make a splint at a tennis court? Exactly what purpose would it serve? If somebody is sprained their ankle bad enough they can't bear any weight, they should be off their feet not mucking around while somebody makes a splint of who knows what.

In the acute phase ice and wrap it if available and keep him nonweight bearing. Give him a ride to the ER to get xrays. There is nothing that is commonly available on a tennis court that is going to make his pain better immediately.

LOL First off, splints are carried around by some athletic trainers. Have you ever taken a first aid class? They tought us how to use splints that we already had. I never once said the guy could fashion a splint out of some tennis strings and balsa wood. Yes, wrapping and stabilizing the injury is the point. A trainer/doctor would know how to correctly do this if there isn't anyone around that knows for sure what is needed. Now, I don't know about you but, I would MUCH rather have a trainer/doctor helping me out than some of my teammates or opponents. That is their job!

Nellie
02-23-2009, 10:26 AM
I once played someone who would, during the serve, would watch to see where you were standing - If you were standing up, he would rip the serve like normal. If you were back, however, he would intentionally misss the serve overhead and hit an underhand, dropshot, kind of like a ping pong serve, all in one motion and without letting the ball hit the ground.

Topaz
02-23-2009, 10:28 AM
Our opposing captain last night pronounced USTA as 'ooosta'.

:)

JRstriker12
02-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Dude busted up his racket after I beat him in a tourney. I was sitting on the bench next to him and all a sudden he went all "Goran" on his racket. Seriously, I was a bit afraid I might be his next target. I was thinking "chill, this is only 3.5 tennis." Must have seen the look on my face because he apologized for his outburst a few minutes later.

-----

Had a friend play a USTA tourney. His first round opponent didn't show, so he got a bye to the second round. He lost in the second round, but got a guaranteed second / consolation match.

Guess who he was supposed to play in the consolation round? The guy from the first round who didn't show up for the consolation match either.

I felt so bad for my friend. Traveled to the tourney site 3 times, but only got to play once.

goober
02-23-2009, 11:06 AM
LOL First off, splints are carried around by some athletic trainers. Have you ever taken a first aid class? They tought us how to use splints that we already had. I never once said the guy could fashion a splint out of some tennis strings and balsa wood. Yes, wrapping and stabilizing the injury is the point. A trainer/doctor would know how to correctly do this if there isn't anyone around that knows for sure what is needed. Now, I don't know about you but, I would MUCH rather have a trainer/doctor helping me out than some of my teammates or opponents. That is their job!

thanks for the medical lesson... Not. Uh do you any know doctors who play tennis and carry around splints in their tennis bag? I know about a dozen and none of them carry them around. They have *gasp* regular tennis stuff in their bag. How about a lesson in reality. The most common scenario is if you get injured on a tennis court is that you will no have anything available except your cell phone and car. A doctor who happens to be playing tennis on the court next to you most likely won't either. Guess what this exact scenario happen to me 2 years ago and I was playing with a group which included 3 doctors. Nobody had any medical supplies- nor would have made really any difference. I just had them lend me their shoulders so I could make it to their car without putting any weight on my ankle which was markedly swollen and off to the ER I went.

mikeler
02-23-2009, 11:17 AM
I played a USTA tourney here in Central Florida about a year ago. A buddy of mine was playing 2 rows of courts behind me. This guy hates when people do fist pumping. So I'm playing my match and I know that they are probably somewhere in the 2nd set. The guy he was playing speaks Spanish and I heard the guy yell out a very loud "Vamos".

About 5 minutes later, my friend who is a white man from Utah that does not speak Spanish yelled out a loud "Vamos". He did it twice more in the next 10 minutes. Each time I was trying so hard not to laugh. He ended up winning the match by coming back in the 2nd set after an easy first set.

JRstriker12
02-23-2009, 12:05 PM
I played a USTA tourney here in Central Florida about a year ago. A buddy of mine was playing 2 rows of courts behind me. This guy hates when people do fist pumping. So I'm playing my match and I know that they are probably somewhere in the 2nd set. The guy he was playing speaks Spanish and I heard the guy yell out a very loud "Vamos".

About 5 minutes later, my friend who is a white man from Utah that does not speak Spanish yelled out a loud "Vamos". He did it twice more in the next 10 minutes. Each time I was trying so hard not to laugh. He ended up winning the match by coming back in the 2nd set after an easy first set.

LOL!

That reminds me of this one guy I saw who said "OLE!" after EVERY shot he hit. I'm 100% serious. EVERY SHOT......

"Ole!" - ball on racket sound - "Ole!" - ball on racket sound - "Ole!" ..... ( ad infinitum)

kimbahpnam
02-23-2009, 12:20 PM
Just the other night, in a mixed match, our male opponent hit his first serve (and he was going for it) right into the back of his partner's head at the net. She was fine, but it was a bit harrowing to watch!

A few years ago, I got pegged while at the net...in the neck. Again, the other person was 'going for it', and it knocked the wind right out of me...a bit scary.

In a warm-up at a doubles tourney, on pretty slick indoor courts, I watched the opponent I was hitting with (and who was wearing regular running sneakers and not tennis shoes) loose her footing, slide, fall, and end up with a kind of 'burn' on both her knees and her chin!

I think getting pegged by your doubles or pegging him/her happens to every tennis player at least once in their life. :)

bleach
02-23-2009, 05:29 PM
Worst - many years ago a guy had a heart attack on the court. It wasn't like dropping to the court and CPR or anything, but still scary. He was tranported to hospital and was OK.

cak
02-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Worst - many years ago a guy had a heart attack on the court. It wasn't like dropping to the court and CPR or anything, but still scary. He was tranported to hospital and was OK.

We have CPR paddles near our courts, and all the club employees took a class to know how to use them. We got them about a year ago. So far they've been used once in a USTA match. It was an opponent that went down.

mikeler
02-24-2009, 05:25 AM
I played this guy in high school tennis my senior year. We had a close singles match which I lost and then I had to play doubles against him. On an overhead, I accidentally hit the guy in the groin. He went down and could not get up for about 10 minutes. I felt bad, but he was able to finish the match.

Fast forward a year later, I'm a freshman in college out of state. I run into a girl at a party and we start talking and she tells me where she is from. I told her we played her high school last year in tennis. She said her ex-boyfriend played tennis. So I told her what happened and it turned out it was her ex. She said that he could not "perform" for a month after the incident. :shock:

GraphiteMachete
02-24-2009, 06:30 AM
This one time during social play, I was watched a lady on adjacent court running to receive for a wide shot. I was on the next court on her opponent's side and hence she was sort of running diagonal towards me. As she was running, she locked eyes with me and noticed that I was watching her. At the last second she fell hard and sort of broke her fall with her hands and face. It was like watching it in slow motion. Her hands and face were okay although she decided to go to an emergency room and get it checked out, just in case.

To this day, I wonder if her noticing me watching her made her fall. I don't watch adjacent courts as much anymore.

EasleyTennis
02-24-2009, 06:32 AM
I played this guy in high school tennis my senior year. We had a close singles match which I lost and then I had to play doubles against him. On an overhead, I accidentally hit the guy in the groin. He went down and could not get up for about 10 minutes. I felt bad, but he was able to finish the match.

Fast forward a year later, I'm a freshman in college out of state. I run into a girl at a party and we start talking and she tells me where she is from. I told her we played her high school last year in tennis. She said her ex-boyfriend played tennis. So I told her what happened and it turned out it was her ex. She said that he could not "perform" for a month after the incident. :shock:

So she dumped him and started dating you right?

rasajadad
02-24-2009, 06:35 AM
I type up this story about once a year. It happened to me in a High School match in New Jersey in my freshman year.

My doubles partner Lennie and I were playing first doubles in an away match. On the first game we served, the receiver's partner who was a well known to me a-hole) lined up right on top of the center strap and would feint into the service box in an attempt to distract the server. I had an immediate pow-wow with Lennie and told him that by rule, if we hit the guy it would be our point. We agreed that whoever hit this guy the most would be declared the winner and would be owed dinner (at the diner post match.) Lennie plunked him on the next point. He argued the rule but both coaches verified we were right. Despite being hit, he continued his "net strap" position. Two points later, lo and behold, Lennie plunked him again. He was getting extremely steamed.

In my first service game I nailed him on my first try. He got so angry, he went to toss his racquet into the net, but he missed. The racquet ended up sliding to ma at the baseline. As I assumed he no longer wanted the racquet, I picked it up and tossed it over the back fence.

That began the first (and only I'm told) bench clearing brawl in NJ boy's tennis history. Luckily, my dad was there. Otherwise I'm pretty sure the opposing coach would have killed me.

Topaz
02-24-2009, 06:37 AM
^^^LOL, that is most excellent!

mikeler
02-24-2009, 06:49 AM
So she dumped him and started dating you right?

No. This chick had pink hair, not my type. I like the idea of throwing an opponent's racket over the fence. :twisted:

EasleyTennis
02-24-2009, 08:59 AM
I type up this story about once a year. It happened to me in a High School match in New Jersey in my freshman year.

My doubles partner Lennie and I were playing first doubles in an away match. On the first game we served, the receiver's partner who was a well known to me a-hole) lined up right on top of the center strap and would feint into the service box in an attempt to distract the server. I had an immediate pow-wow with Lennie and told him that by rule, if we hit the guy it would be our point. We agreed that whoever hit this guy the most would be declared the winner and would be owed dinner (at the diner post match.) Lennie plunked him on the next point. He argued the rule but both coaches verified we were right. Despite being hit, he continued his "net strap" position. Two points later, lo and behold, Lennie plunked him again. He was getting extremely steamed.

In my first service game I nailed him on my first try. He got so angry, he went to toss his racquet into the net, but he missed. The racquet ended up sliding to ma at the baseline. As I assumed he no longer wanted the racquet, I picked it up and tossed it over the back fence.

That began the first (and only I'm told) bench clearing brawl in NJ boy's tennis history. Luckily, my dad was there. Otherwise I'm pretty sure the opposing coach would have killed me.

I'm not sure this story can be topped..

mdjenders
02-24-2009, 09:39 PM
rasajadad, that is the best story ever posted on this forum!!!! hilarious.

rasajadad
02-25-2009, 05:09 AM
rasajadad, that is the best story ever posted on this forum!!!! hilarious.

Even though it happened 40 years ago, I still remember that match better than any other I've played. I remember everything about the day, the match, paying off my bet with Lennie (french fries with gravy and a vanilla coke,) doing "victory circles" in Lennie's Corvair in the parking lot. I guess it's something when something that funny not only happens, but happens to you.

TheGreatestAudia
02-25-2009, 06:45 AM
thanks for the medical lesson... Not. Uh do you any know doctors who play tennis and carry around splints in their tennis bag? I know about a dozen and none of them carry them around. They have *gasp* regular tennis stuff in their bag. How about a lesson in reality. The most common scenario is if you get injured on a tennis court is that you will no have anything available except your cell phone and car. A doctor who happens to be playing tennis on the court next to you most likely won't either. Guess what this exact scenario happen to me 2 years ago and I was playing with a group which included 3 doctors. Nobody had any medical supplies- nor would have made really any difference. I just had them lend me their shoulders so I could make it to their car without putting any weight on my ankle which was markedly swollen and off to the ER I went.

Who said anything about the guy playing tennis?? All it said was the fact that the physician just walked on by. I don't expect "Doctors" to carry around all their medical equipment. I do expect an athletic physician/trainer to have the necessary supplies to aid if minor injuries occur if they are there to supervise; obviously not if they're playing. Get off your "high horse" and know that "goober" fits perfectly.

Sheesh...