PDA

View Full Version : Babolat VS Team natural gut

Player 1
02-21-2009, 07:30 PM
So I've played maybe.. 20-30 hours with this string and it popped today.. is it supposed to pop that quick? Also what should I do with the string? should I leave it on there or should I cut it off?

azn_lefty_roddick_jr
02-21-2009, 09:12 PM
Of course, you'll have to cut it off eventually. xP Sooner is better, I suppose.

But to answer your other question, not quite sure. I guess it depends on your playing style. The only time I ever played with gut, it lasted me about a month. Do you play with heavy spin?

thefederman
02-21-2009, 09:18 PM
i'd say at a competative level 20-30 hours is more than enough for any string

ClubHoUno
02-22-2009, 03:02 AM
So I've played maybe.. 20-30 hours with this string and it popped today.. is it supposed to pop that quick? Also what should I do with the string? should I leave it on there or should I cut it off?

20-30 hours with VS Team 17 gauge natural gut - what's your worry then :confused::shock:

I use Babolat teflon Elastocross string savers in my VS Team gut set up to maximize its durability, and I get 12-15 hours out of my setup before my strings pop - and I'm not a heavy topspin hitter or a real string breaker.

If you get 20-30 hours out of VS team 17 gauge natural gut, you should be very happy - you play with the best string in the world and you're NOT a sstring breaker at all, in fact you're the ideal guy to use natural gut.

Be happy and install a new set of VS 17 natural gut in your racquet and play on..........

If you hit just a little bit hard, 20-30 hours out of any type of string is AWESOME durability. 20-30 hours out of natural gut is simply AMAZING durability.

This is like me making a post: "I bought a set of new premium tennis shoes. I've used them every day for 2 years now, both on the tennis hard court and also used them in daily life. Now after 2 years, they are already beginning to show signs of wear, what should I do - file a complaint to the manufacturer of the shoe, because the company makes NON-durable tennis shoes ?"

jim e
02-22-2009, 04:43 AM

If you want more durability, then try the VS touch 16g. That still is an amazing string.

Player 1
02-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Alright cool guys. thanks for the info.
Regarding the matter of cutting the strings.. regular scissors should work right?

eeytennis
02-22-2009, 02:45 PM

Well you definitely want to cut it out of the racket ASAP...you run the risk of warping the frame if you leave the racket as is right after you break a string.

jim e
02-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Well you definitely want to cut it out of the racket ASAP...you run the risk of warping the frame if you leave the racket as is right after you break a string.

You know, I always heard that as well, but I have had others give me their racquet to string, with a broken string and they told me it was that way for a while, and I have yet to see a warped racquet from this.
I'm not saying it is not so, it's just I have not seen it, and a lot of racquets came my way over time with a broken string.
I was wondering has anyone here seen this happen that is actually from a broken string. (not counting an abused racquet from a customer).
I have seen broken, or cracked racquets that came in they wanted strung, but that most likely was from a bad temper.Fortunately I look them all over real well before I even cut the strings out myself, so I can show them the condition of the racquet that they left for me to string.One cracked frame was in my place for 3 weeks before he came back for me to show him,origional strings broken and left that way, and the racquet was not warped, it was cracked from abuse most likely.

eeytennis
02-22-2009, 03:34 PM
You know, I always heard that as well, but I have had others give me their racquet to string, with a broken string and they told me it was that way for a while, and I have yet to see a warped racquet from this.
I'm not saying it is not so, it's just I have not seen it, and a lot of racquets came my way over time with a broken string.
I was wondering has anyone here seen this happen that is actually from a broken string. (not counting an abused racquet from a customer).
I have seen broken, or cracked racquets that came in they wanted strung, but that most likely was from a bad temper.

I too have never seen a warped frame due directly to leaving the string in the frame but I have been told that cutting the string out of the racket relieves tension and keeps the frame from warping. I could very well be wrong, but until I am disproved I'm going to cut broken strings out of my rackets ASAP :)

lawlitssoo1n
02-22-2009, 03:36 PM
sorry for the thread jack but
What is the difference between VS TOUCH, VS TEAM, VS TONIC+

jim e
02-22-2009, 03:40 PM
sorry for the thread jack but
What is the difference between VS TOUCH, VS TEAM, VS TONIC+

VS Touch and team is 1st quality, where touch comes in 15g. and 16g. and team is 17g.
The Tonic is 2nd grade, they say just cosmetic, but the gauge is not as uniform as well, a lesser quality. I heard that some on these boards have had tonic snap while stringing, another reason I never purchased tonic.
My thoughts are if you are going to use gut yourself, or put it in someones racquet to get a good grade gut, and charge appropriately.

Player 1
02-23-2009, 09:13 PM
Alright but can I cut the strings with scissors and it won't damage my scissors? Or do I need some special equipment?

tnc1970
02-23-2009, 11:14 PM
20 hours? more than a good result for such (actually "any") string.

I'm breaking a full luxilon alu string job in 5-6 hours, so, I'd be really happy if something last more than 10 hours

You can cut your strings with standard sturdy scissors or use a wire cutting tool. Not a big deal for natural gut.