PDA

View Full Version : Dent's Real Stick

Goran
03-01-2005, 06:52 PM
In this month's Tennis Magazine, there's an article on Taylor Dent's backhand volley. You can clearly see that he isn't using the Rok. The racquet is a 16 x 19, and actually appears to be the ProStaff Zone! The Zone was released at the same time as the Rok, but it's no longer continued by Wilson. So Dent uses a Zone with a Rok paintjob :p How odd.

BreakPoint
03-01-2005, 07:08 PM
Hmmm...The Zone was actually introduced several years before the ROK and was discontinued BEFORE the ROK was ever introduced. The ROK was just introduced in the spring of 2003 in the U.S. BTW, Dent stopped using a ROK paintjob in the summer of 2004, and switched to the red and white nCode nSix-One 95 paintjob like most of the other Wilson sponsored pros.

Some people even believe he is still using a Volkl underneath the Wilson nCode paintjob. Others believe he is using a PS Classic 6.1 under the paintjob. I have no clue but would love to find out. He is one of the best volleyers out there and is great fun to watch.

Goran
03-01-2005, 07:23 PM
I stand corrected. I do think it's pretty clear he's using the Zone in those pictures at least.

PrestigeClassic
03-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Maybe Dent is good enough to not have to settle for a frame that was ever on retail. Why would a string pattern make you believe he's using this or that? Wilson undoubtedly would be able and willing to make for Dent his own mold with dimensions based on where he hits the ball.

Goran
03-02-2005, 08:14 AM
Perhaps it is custom made, but the geometry of the frame perfectly matches the Zone (I've compared it to mine at the various angles in the photos). The indentations on either side of the top of the throat, as well as the special triangular indentations at the bottom of the throat that are not seen on any other prostaff model, are dead giveaways. The perimeter weights are also on the exact same strings.

tom-selleck
03-02-2005, 09:07 AM
what's RoK stand for???? i see that everywhere.......... can't figure it out... i know POG is Prince Original Graphite, but can't crack this one.

Goran
03-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Rok... is the name of the racquet. It says ROK in red on the side :p Doesn't stand for anything. I think the name is supposed to imply a solid, stable frame.

loubapache
03-02-2005, 09:42 AM
ROK might have come from two ways:

1) When Wilson offered to Sampras the Tour 90, it developed the "ROK" for "Roger" Federer.

2) "Rock Solid" is how Wilson called the "ROK."

Somehow Federer did not liked the ROK or did not use the paintjob.

dutch monkey
03-02-2005, 09:55 AM
I thought the racquet he was using looked like the mid-plus rok.

tennisnj
03-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Doesn't ROK stand for the chief designer's initials? When this racquet was released, on these message boards, there was a thread regarding this. Robert O' Kelley or something to that notion? I'm not quite sure if this was farcical or factual, but it definately stuck in my mind.

Richard Pur
03-02-2005, 10:13 AM
I remember either a thread or magazine article (maybe within the thread)saying that.

BreakPoint
03-02-2005, 11:34 AM
"ROK" also stands for "Republic of Korea" (South Korea). Perhaps it was originally designed by Wilson for the Asian market (like so many other Wilson models)? Or perhaps they thought of manufacturing them there? ;) Who knows? I know it's just a coincidence but it is a strange name for a tennis racquet. :roll: :lol:

gregraven
03-02-2005, 11:48 AM
I heard it is called the ROK because the person who reportedly designed that frame is Wilson's Ron Rocchi.

As for Taylor's racquet, I've posted the specs on this board before. Although the early versions of his racquet -- which I believe were made to his specifications -- do not look like the Zone, later versions are virtually identical in shape, size, etc. (that is, everything but the decal/paint). However, it is much heavier than the Zone, it feels more flexible than the Zone, and of course the swingweight is different, although the balance is very close.

loubapache
03-02-2005, 12:01 PM
BreakPoint:

You might onto something.

Normally the Asian versions of various Wilson racquets are called the Asian versions. When I saw the Asian version of the ROK in China this past December, the store owner called it the "Korean" version.

Prostaffer
03-02-2005, 04:58 PM
rok....is short for Ron Rocchi's nickname at wilson. that is all. ;)

ibemadskillzz
03-02-2005, 05:34 PM
i always believed that he used a wilson prostaff classic. I think I'm right

jpsigchi
03-02-2005, 06:48 PM
I remember meeting Taylor Dent when he was 16 years old at the Hamlet cup on Long Island. I was one of the teaching pros at the country club at the time. He was given a wildcard into the qualifying rounds and was there prior to the start of the tournement to hit/practice with Guga Kuertan.While he was hiting, he broke a string and asked the pro shop on the grounds to string it for him.Another teacing pro actually strung the racquet but I had a chance to take a closer look at the racquet.His racquet at the time was a Wilson Pro Staff Classic 6.1 but it appeared to have smaller head and a frame type like the Pro staff original.(more square edges, not curved like a stock PS 6.1).He used alot of lead tape on his racquet and felt very heavy.

thejackal
03-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Ps 6.0 95?

PrestigeClassic
03-03-2005, 10:11 PM
More like a 6.1 85 extra-long, really weird combination. I'm not sure the extent to which the angles on Dent's were square, but I had one of Graf's 85 inē frames painted as the 7.0, and the cross section seemed like it could have been 1mm or so thicker than similar off-the-shelf frames (7.5 95) that I remember hitting, though the 85 was still not as boxy as a 6.0. Other than for the length, I'd guess that both Graf's and Dent's frames would have come from the same mold otherwise. There have been several players that played the 6.1 85, like Jim Grabb, whom happens to have come out of here in Tucson.

gregraven
03-04-2005, 03:18 PM
Taylor used to play with a Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 many years ago, and his father, Phil Dent, still has the custom-made Wilson Pro Staff 6.1 85s that he used to use. It's possible that Taylor was using one of his dad's old frames. Phil is now using the same custom-made Wilson frame that Taylor uses -- only he uses the early prototypes, before they finalized some of the details.

mctennis
03-12-2005, 08:39 PM
It's a Vantage racquet.

Kirko
03-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Dent's racket looks like a Volkl it not a Wilson & certainly not the ROK or N-code.

PrestigeClassic
03-12-2005, 10:36 PM
Actually, as Goran said, Dent's frame looks to be from a Pro Staff Zone 7.1 mold. I stand corrected in my previous assertion that Dent was having a custom mold.

morten
03-13-2005, 09:25 AM
375g strung.2 years ago i spoke to him about it at a tournament,i got one of his broken rackets,Volkl c10 93 sqi,painted like c9. Lead all round the racket,and in handle.Very headlight though..

TennisD
03-14-2005, 12:14 PM
If it is a good lead tape job, you won't see it. Look at mine, nobody knows it is about 375g!

fedex27
03-14-2005, 02:50 PM
whatever it is, what is it strung at?

PrestigeClassic
03-14-2005, 02:57 PM
If it is a good lead tape job, you won't see it. Look at mine, nobody knows it is about 375g!

Maybe because you have CAP System grommets?

TennisD
03-14-2005, 09:32 PM
Maybe because you have CAP System grommets?
Yeah, that also helps. But some Volkl racquets have the same idea. Also, some people I know have tons of lead tape, without CAP grommets, and it's still hard to see.

edge
05-11-2005, 04:31 PM
The Wilson rep told me that Dent plays with a painted over Zone 7.1.

Stuck
05-11-2005, 04:42 PM
ROK is Ron's nickname at Wilson. There are a few people that had it right.

gregraven
05-13-2005, 06:08 AM
The Wilson rep told me that Dent plays with a painted over Zone 7.1.

Almost right. Taylor's racquets are made using the PS Zone 7.1 mold, but the weight, balance, flex, and swingweight are way off of the PSZ 7.1.

As of about a year ago, Dent's racquet specs were:

387 grams mass
32.5 cm balance
400 kg x cm2 swing weight

FWIW, they play beautifully.

BreakPoint
05-13-2005, 10:56 AM
If the above is correct, then WOW that's heavy!! SW of 400? And about 13.7 oz.? And even to a little HH balance? How does he get that club into position so quickly to hit those great volleys at the net? Amazing! What's the flex?

BTW, Greg, I assume you have strung his racquets and weighed them and that's how you know this?

gregraven
05-13-2005, 12:58 PM
I have never strung his racquets, but I took my scale, balance, and swingweight tester to the courts one day, and asked if I could borrow one of his racquets for a few minutes to get the measurements. I wasn't able to get the flex on it, but from hitting with it for about fifteen minutes, it seemed to be no stiffer than the Wilson HPS Zone 7.1, which is to say that my guestimate would be that it is about a 58 or lower on the Babolat RDC flex scale.

The balance is still head light (the racquet is 68.58 cm long). If you just look at the specs, it does seem like a club, but it felt very impressive. At the time, I was using a racquet weighing 408 grams, 27.8 cm balance, with a swingweight of 325 kg x cm2, so the weight felt fine, and I just had to get used to the difference in balance.

BreakPoint
05-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Thanks Greg! Sorry, my mistake on the balance. Even is 13.5 in., not 12.5 in. Doh! :)

Still, I would of thought for a pure serve and volleyer like Taylor, that his racquet would be a bit lighter, balanced much more headlight, and much stiffer. Just shows you how much talent he has, I guess.

gregraven
05-13-2005, 05:11 PM
Clearly, for maneuverability you want something more head light. However, at the level he plays, the speed of the incoming shots can be incredible. If you don't have some mass in your racquet, your hand/wrist/arm have to do all the work of resisting the incoming force. With that much mass, however, you are putting a lot of energy back into the ball, so a more flexible racquet is better because it absorbs some of of that energy, so you have better control. As you point out, though, the more mass there is, the more effort it takes to accelerate and decelerate the racquet.

DoubleHanded&LovinIt
05-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Does Dent use a leather grip?

gregraven
05-14-2005, 11:47 AM
Yes, with an overgrip.

D. Nelson
05-14-2005, 07:59 PM
....I saw that picture.... email me if you have a spare grommet set for an Elite Pro --- or have a SOURCE where I can get a set...Thanks, Dave

......email : imouch@bellsouth.net

Duzza
05-06-2006, 06:52 AM
he must have the heaviest on tour in top 100 right? that is freakishly heavy. I could barely serve with that let alone hold it

chess9
05-06-2006, 08:12 AM
Well....my college racquet was a Wilson Jack Kramer model. It is 13.4 oz with power pads and gut. Dent's racquet is probably better engineered, weighted, balanced, etc. so I would think a lot of guys could actually use a racquet that heavy with no problems.

My ROKs are only 12.4 oz with tape, but I'm an old, weak, slow, fart. :)

They are very nice racquets too. I have no clue why no one likes them.

-Robert

brucie
05-07-2006, 02:37 AM
Hang on I thought he was using the n code 6 1 tour

Greg Raven
05-07-2006, 05:20 AM
When I last saw him at the Mercedes Cup event in Los Angeles, he had just switched to the nCode paint scheme on his racquets. During a break in his practice session, I said, "Except for the color, that racquet looks a lot like your old racquet." His reply: "It plays a lot like my old racquet, too."

knasty131
05-07-2006, 09:00 AM
i was always under the impression that he was playing a volkl c-10 pro tour (93 sq in.)....a while back i think there were threads about it...oh and did i forget to mention a paintjob??? lol

BreakPoint
05-07-2006, 11:56 AM
Hang on I thought he was using the n code 6 1 tour

It's a paintjob. You have heard of them, right?

Like Greg says, it's a custom made racquet with the nCode paintjob on it.