PDA

View Full Version : Best string for generating topspin?

EasleyTennis
02-22-2009, 02:26 PM
What strings, gauge, and tension are best for topspin? I play with a head liquid metal 4 if it matters. I'm sure it's been discussed but I'm new here so help me out. Thanks.

rich s
02-22-2009, 02:57 PM
Forget the string....it doensn't matter what string you use.

Learn how to generate more racquet head speed and you will have topspin......

10nistennis
02-22-2009, 04:03 PM
Blue Gear or Cyberflash. Signum Pro Poly Plasma generates a lot of spin too.

Don't rely solely on the string though. Good topspin is generated from fast racquet speed, which generates a fast brushing motion on the ball, allowing more topspin. So basically it is more about the technique then the string or racquet.

EasleyTennis
02-22-2009, 04:52 PM

All right, well any advice on how to generate more head speed and maintain control?

eeytennis
02-22-2009, 04:58 PM

So true...ultimately it comes down to your stroke to create topspin.

But to generate more spin...brush up on the ball quickly...whip it up. If you hit a ton of topspin, then you should be hitting a lot of balls in anyway. If you hit the ball flatter, you can still hit a lot of balls in and any string in the world isn't going to automatically give you more topspin...it's how you hit the ball.

nate_malone
02-22-2009, 05:00 PM
Look no further, Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour. The best power and topspin string ever; looks cool and is cheap (12 USD I think.)

Murray_fan1
02-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Polyfibre TCS

ogruskie
02-22-2009, 05:28 PM
Polyester strings provide easier access to spin than other strings. As others have said, its all about technique. I know some players who use synthetic gut strings and have the craziest topspin ever. However if you're not THAT good, poly might help.

That being said, any poly string should suit you well. What you should primarily look for is feel; whether the string is stiff or soft.

lazyeenviet
02-22-2009, 05:31 PM
Look no further, Babolat Pro Hurricane Tour. The best power and topspin string ever; looks cool and is cheap (12 USD I think.)

Semi-wealthy upper middle class suburban person, I wish 12 USD a for a set of string was cheap for me. :(

wordyshaman
02-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Polyester strings provide easier access to spin than other strings. As others have said, its all about technique. I know some players who use synthetic gut strings and have the craziest topspin ever. However if you're not THAT good, poly might help.

That being said, any poly string should suit you well. What you should primarily look for is feel; whether the string is stiff or soft.

wait, continue with that.

Is a softer poly better for spin? how's the durability of softer polys?

Fedace
02-22-2009, 07:07 PM
That NEW spiky shark is just as or even better than the blue gear.

ogruskie
02-22-2009, 08:05 PM
wait, continue with that.

Is a softer poly better for spin? how's the durability of softer polys?

It makes no difference. Polys are either soft or stiff, and this has no effect on spin potential. I find no difference in spin/durability between a stiff poly such as ALU Power and a soft poly such as Big Ace.

saram
02-22-2009, 08:17 PM
As stated above: SPPP and technique.

Cey
02-22-2009, 10:56 PM
What strings, gauge, and tension are best for topspin? I play with a head liquid metal 4 if it matters. I'm sure it's been discussed but I'm new here so help me out. Thanks.

Pro Supex Blue Gear and a western grip.

kashgotmoney
02-22-2009, 11:08 PM
for more head speed and control, use knee bend and hip rotation.

juchas
02-23-2009, 04:04 AM
Prince Synthetic Gut

origmarm
02-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Essentially it's all technique. There are three things as I understand it that will give you a marginal advantage:
- Use a stiffer string such as poly, less deformation on impact means more spin returned to the ball
- Use a thinner gauge
- Use a textured string (such as a hexagonal or "rough" string).

Good luck,

Orig

Deano
02-23-2009, 05:24 AM
Pro Supex Blue Gear and a western grip.

Where can I get that western grip? ;-)

mawashi
02-23-2009, 05:44 AM
Essentially it's all technique. There are three things as I understand it that will give you a marginal advantage:
- Use a stiffer string such as poly, less deformation on impact means more spin returned to the ball
- Use a thinner gauge
- Use a textured string (such as a hexagonal or "rough" string).

Good luck,

Orig

I'm not 100% sure about the stiffer string as I though softer strings pocket the ball better n are able to provide good spin but I could be wrong.

LOL! TW sells em in packs of 3 :-o!

mawashi

tenis
02-23-2009, 08:28 AM

At Cosco............................................. ..(just kidding).

rich s
02-23-2009, 05:49 PM
All right, well any advice on how to generate more head speed and maintain control?

Take a couple lessons, rent a ball machine and practice, practice practice.

Casco
02-23-2009, 05:59 PM
Luxilon ALU Rough
and
Gamma Zo Tour Rough (softer then ALU and as good, if not better, spin)

Winners or Errors
02-23-2009, 07:03 PM

OK, have to disagree. Different strings do make a difference in topspin. I'm with the group that said Cyberflash and SPPP, having tried both, though I'm not sure I like the feel. If your arm can handle it, you might try an 18ga kevlar hybrid, because there's some serious spin to be had there...

Cey
02-23-2009, 11:58 PM

Haha, what's a US k-mart called coz u gan get em from there,;-) Seriously though ever since I switched to blue gear my grip went further and further around. It is good but weird.

TennisandMusic
02-24-2009, 12:12 AM
It makes no difference. Polys are either soft or stiff, and this has no effect on spin potential. I find no difference in spin/durability between a stiff poly such as ALU Power and a soft poly such as Big Ace.

Gotta disagree with this. There is a huuuuge difference among polys. I definitely experience a large difference between Luxilon strings and Big Ace, in terms of playing characteristics.

origmarm
02-24-2009, 12:14 AM
I'm not 100% sure about the stiffer string as I though softer strings pocket the ball better n are able to provide good spin but I could be wrong.

My understanding is that this (and durability to an extent) was the main reason for the invention of polyester monocore strings, well the deformation part at least. The challenge has become to make them as soft as possible without losing that property.

I think it's one of those things like string gauge though, you'll hear both sides of that argument for more spin also.

MrBen
02-24-2009, 12:21 AM
I use Luxilon Big Banger Rough strings and can generate a lot of top spin on my shots...

rich s
02-24-2009, 09:03 AM
OK, have to disagree. Different strings do make a difference in topspin. I'm with the group that said Cyberflash and SPPP, having tried both, though I'm not sure I like the feel. If your arm can handle it, you might try an 18ga kevlar hybrid, because there's some serious spin to be had there...

If you're not generating sufficient head speed and/or hitting flat there will be no topspin....regardless of if you have SPPP, Cyberflash, etc.

nickarnold2000
02-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Polyfibre TCS
Try practicing against a wall - it's a great way to experiment with different strokes.
Hey Murray, is the Becker Pro popular where you are? I have 3 myself.

nickarnold2000
02-24-2009, 10:05 PM
If you're not generating sufficient head speed and/or hitting flat there will be no topspin....regardless of if you have SPPP, Cyberflash, etc.
Totally agree

mawashi
02-25-2009, 02:27 AM
My understanding is that this (and durability to an extent) was the main reason for the invention of polyester monocore strings, well the deformation part at least. The challenge has become to make them as soft as possible without losing that property.

I think it's one of those things like string gauge though, you'll hear both sides of that argument for more spin also.

I've gotten very nice spin from natural gut just before it breaks so that really sucks to get it to play the way I want only to have it die the next moment.

I would think that a thinner sting will bite better in to the ball to give the spin needed. Again, I'm still trying to find concrete info about stiffness n spin.

I know guys like bud n some have given me the advice to stay away from kevlar cus of my te issues but really the thinner gauge of the forten 18 with a thin 17 syn gut is really really comfy for the moment. That n the spin is awesome!

mawashi

ogruskie
02-28-2009, 03:40 PM
If you have to rely on the string to get you topspin, your technique is mediocre. The top varsity players on my school's team provide TREMENDOUS spin, and they use basic synthetic strings. I play with full poly and I provide maybe half the spin that they do.

Its all in technique. Grip, racquethead speed, etc...

EDIT: Regarding strings, its all a personal matter. Some people will claim to get better bite out of certain strings, while other people (like me) see no difference.

stringwalla
02-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Learn to hit flat like the old guys:twisted:. You'll hardly ever break strings and the "topspin generation" will hate it 'cause your ball will only come in low and they won't be able hit on top of it with any juice-

charliefedererer
03-11-2009, 10:41 AM
The best a string can do is give you the potential to hit more topspin.
Your technique is what will determinine how much topsin you hit. You must drop that racquet head down at the end of your backswing, then swing up and out with your racquet face beveled slightly down.
That being said, a stiff, textured polyester string like Luxilon Alu Power Rough ought to let you modify your swing pattern to gain the maximum amount of topspin. But it's probably 99% technique and 1% the string. And stiff polyester strings are harsh on your arm.

Superman1272
03-11-2009, 12:47 PM
The way I see it...

Natural Gut is the most powerful string. Kevlar is the least powerful. Nylons and polys are in the middle.

Assuming the racquets are set up the same (weight, swing weight, head size, make, model, string gauge size, etc...), if racquet A is strung with NG and racquet B is strung with a full Kevlar bed and they are swung with the same force and technique, then the NG is going to fly farther then the full Kevlar. Nylons strings second farthest and polys somewhere shorter than that.

NOW... to make racquet B (full kevlar bed) hit as far as racquet A (full NG bed) you have to swing harder. This extra head speed not only generates plow through power to drive the ball deeper into the court, it also generates more spin. This is why stiffer (less powerful) strings deliver more topspin. It is not the string magically adding spin to the ball... it is the extra effort made to hit the ball deep that allows faster racquet head speed. Fast Head Speed = More Spin Potential.

Now if you are still hitting the ball flat, then you are not going to see any increase in spin...

But like I said, all things being equal....

EasleyTennis
03-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Learn to hit flat like the old guys:twisted:. You'll hardly ever break strings and the "topspin generation" will hate it 'cause your ball will only come in low and they won't be able hit on top of it with any juice-

Old guys who hit flat are my sworn enemies. I'm always stuck playing them in singles at the 3.0 level, I hate it. I don't see how hitting flat balls all the time is much fun.

davidahenry
03-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Luxilon BB Alu Power Rough - I use a full bed of it and get incredible bite on the ball.

hoodjem
03-11-2009, 07:56 PM
Would one string be better for generating topspin, and a different string be better at slice?

Wouldn't any particular string that is good at one type of spin be good at the other?

In)SpiRe
03-11-2009, 08:33 PM
Luxilon BB Alu Power Rough - I use a full bed of it and get incredible bite on the ball.

I second this. I keep a pack around just in case for a big tournament. The ALU Rough has THE best bite of any poly I have used and the topspin is tremendous. The only reason I don't use it full time is due to the OUTRAGEOUS price for something that doesn't even last that long.

People say string doesn't matter, but I disagree. I will say that a lot of it does in fact take place with your racquet head speed, but I'll get more spin with ALU Rough than with something like PSGD, no question.

soyizgood
03-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Whatever Nadal, Andreev, or Schnyder uses.

Irvin
03-12-2009, 03:04 AM
Kevlar will produce more spin than any other string. The stiffer the string the more spin you will get. Be careful what you wish for. Most spin with Kevlar less power.

Check out the stiffness of different strings here:
http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/issues/200809/200809allstrings.html

Irvin