PDA

View Full Version : How far will Gael Monfils make it?

BabolatPureStorm
02-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Gael is definitely in the top of my favorites list when it comes to tennis, but we all know he is plagued with a bad wrist. How far do you think he will make it in his career? Any more titles?

P.S. Do you think his Prince has anything to do with it?

GameSampras
02-22-2009, 06:46 PM
Gael is definitely in the top of my favorites list when it comes to tennis, but we all know he is plagued with a bad wrist. How far do you think he will make it in his career? Any more titles?

P.S. Do you think his Prince has anything to do with it?

Similiar career to Nalbandian? I dunno that may be too generous. Monfils just doesnt have that desire IMO. 0 slams for Monfils. Maybe a few big tournaments. But not the big slams

He has talent but lacks that "eye of the tiger" and that will to sacrifice and the will to want it truly bad enough. But this is a case with most of the young guys. Many have talent but so many will just not do anything with it

Fedace
02-22-2009, 06:55 PM
Don't think Prince has anything to do with injuries. he is playing better than ever with the prince frames anyway.
He is good enough to be consistant top 15 player. Maybe he can win few of the Masters series events.

but if he went back to Paddle tennis, he would be the best player in history of the sport...

saram
02-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Similiar career to Nalbandian? I dunno that may be too generous. Monfils just doesnt have that desire IMO. 0 slams for Monfils. Maybe a few big tournaments. But not the big slams

He has talent but lacks that "eye of the tiger" and that will to sacrifice and the will to want it truly bad enough. But this is a case with most of the young guys. Many have talent but so many will just not do anything with it

I agree with everything here. He has the eye of the tiger in the early rounds, then seems to falter when facing the big guns (like against Roger at the FO) in the later stages of a big tournament.

I like him--I would like to see him have a wonderful career and stay on tour for a long time as he is so darn entertaining to me.

breadstick
02-22-2009, 07:58 PM
The Australian open commentators said that his social life takes priority over his tennis...

Dunno if he still does this, but it brings into question his dedication to the game.

DarthFed
02-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Well he just made the top ten...good for him

tintin
02-23-2009, 07:47 AM
if Rasheed can convince Monfils to play doubles with Mauresmo and his fellow countrymen;it will help him a great deal
and I'd like him to flatten that backhand a tad more and 1-2 punch by serving/volleying more often
he's an ALL-surface player and since he missed I believe were 2 slams last year(Wimbledon and the USO)just like Tsonga missed out of 2(RG and Wimbledon watch out for both of them to do well

tahiti
02-23-2009, 11:18 AM
Monfils has the talent and fitness he's just so erratic. He might kind of give up now Tsonga's around.

BabolatPureStorm
02-23-2009, 01:52 PM
I'm glad he just punched into the top ten, hopes he makes it farther! Think he'll miss any slams this year?!