PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Will BOOM With More Serve & Volley Play - Here's Why

TheOneAndOnly
02-22-2009, 08:27 PM
Upon viewing the clip b/t Roddick and Stepanek, whew! What a match! I really didn't follow Stepanek's play, but he's a serve & volleyer! This is why Roddick was pumping himself up even more than normal after shots.

You see, Serve & Volley playing cuts the time to play and puts a lot of pressure on the baseline player. This is what Stepanek did to Roddick, and when Roddick would make a passing shot, it's not just a baseline winner, but a sort-of escape from the PRESSURE incurred on him when Stepanek or any S&V'er comes up to net.

With more of this S&V playing, this will be a boom for tennis.... especially now in the waters of today's game of all baseline game-playing.

Stepanek may be my new hero!

Let's see more S&V playing and see if they can bring in the game of Becker, Edberg, and Sampras, and McEnroe to the likes of Roddick, Djokovic, Federer, Nadal, and other baseline players.

skuludo
02-22-2009, 08:29 PM
How does Stepanek dominate Nadal?

Did he ever do that?

saram
02-22-2009, 08:30 PM
I think your prediction is an epic fail for the next 5 years at least. Sorry, but I don't see Stepanek reviving the S&V. He's just not sexy enough :)

TheOneAndOnly
02-22-2009, 08:48 PM
What other serve and volleyers are there?

Any up and comer serve and volleyers? Who?

With Nadal, I think Nadal has beat Step. all the time because Nadal keeps the ball low with his topspin, which is poison to a s&v'er.

breadstick
02-22-2009, 08:56 PM
I think you may have overlooked the fact that Roddick won...

saram
02-22-2009, 08:58 PM
With Nadal, I think Nadal has beat Step. all the time because Nadal keeps the ball low with his topspin, which is poison to a s&v'er.

You lost me with this...

danb
02-22-2009, 09:03 PM
I think we need BOTH S&V and baseliners. When you get a good S&V against a good baseline player - the game is ON.
My 2c.

benasp
02-22-2009, 09:10 PM
You lost me with this...

Well you can use your topspin to make the ball drop at the feet of the volleyer. with flat shot your only option is to hit very close to the net in order to make the ball drop enought for a hard volley but with spin you can clear the net and make the ball land in their feet. I found this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJPgCB_8hQ8 Despite the fact that federer got that shot it's a very low percentage shot even for him and he wasn't that late or anything