PDA

View Full Version : Donald Young - Disrespected by Many

downthewall
02-22-2009, 08:48 PM
For those of you who were at the challenger event in Dallas a few weeks ago and watched Dy **** everyone off including the sponsors, who has any respect for the guy anymore?

Incase you havnt heard, there was a national anthem before the match. Everyone stood up and did their part except for dy. He sat down on his chair being a jerk while everyone else gave respect to the country.

I spoke to some of the sponsors and they mentioned that they do not want dy back next year or else they wont sponsor.

thoughts?

saram
02-22-2009, 08:56 PM
My thoughts are I'd like to hear more about this. I would like exact details and what sponsors it is that you talked to. You opened the can of worms surrounding the sponsors so you'll have to cite some sources here.

While not required to stand during the National Anthem--he sure should have if he didn't. If this is true--I'm pretty disappointed in DY.

danb
02-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Respect is something you earn (nothing new) - that means some brain AND A LOT of effort. DY hasn't proven either (please notice I said brain AND a lot of effort).
I haven't heard about the incident; IF it's true IMHO he should have stood up his a^& at least for all the WC he got from his country. He owes his country at least this much.
Can't believe he sat down - are you sure?

Rob_C
02-22-2009, 09:07 PM
For those of you who were at the challenger event in Dallas a few weeks ago and watched Dy **** everyone off including the sponsors, who has any respect for the guy anymore?

Incase you havnt heard, there was a national anthem before the match. Everyone stood up and did their part except for dy. He sat down on his chair being a jerk while everyone else gave respect to the country.

I spoke to some of the sponsors and they mentioned that they do not want dy back next year or else they wont sponsor.

thoughts?

If that actually happened, thats unfortunate. But, sponsors have no control, and rightfuly so, over which players enter, and play a tournament.

DarthFed
02-22-2009, 09:09 PM
I wouldn't stand for the national anthem either...the US isn't some clean chased country it has a history soaked in crimson...

Rob_C
02-22-2009, 09:16 PM
This brings back the time when NBA player Chris Jackson, who changed his name to some Muslim name, Mahmoud something, wouldnt either stand, or cross his heart when the anthem was played before NBA games. Eventually a comrpomise was reached where he would stand and was alllowed to say an prayer of his choosing.

blue12
02-22-2009, 09:20 PM
I wouldn't stand for the national anthem either...the US isn't some clean chased country it has a history soaked in crimson...

Yeah what country doesn't?

If you can't respect the national anthem you should go live somewhere else!

saram
02-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah what country doesn't?

If you can't respect the national anthem you should go live somewhere else!

Switzerland, I believe?

Noveson
02-22-2009, 09:23 PM

Are you kidding me? Even the littlest children stand where I live. What country doesn't?

blue12
02-22-2009, 09:28 PM
Switzerland, I believe?

My point exactly!

Maybe he was feeling dizzy.

saram
02-22-2009, 09:30 PM
Are you kidding me? Even the littlest children stand where I live. What country doesn't?

Well, he is an adult and can do as he pleases. He may have had reasons for not standing or just been obtuse to the moment. I would not crucify him until further information comes of this.

rubberduckies
02-22-2009, 09:32 PM
"Donald Young - Disrespected by Many" - this means that many people have disrespected Donald Young.

DY was probably just protesting our War on Drugs or something.

Fedace
02-22-2009, 09:32 PM
Sponsors really said that ?? they usually don't express their feelings that straight forward. but then This is Dallas so, it doesn't surprise me.
Donald is a spoiled child, someone should just talk to him about that. I thought ATP had classes for such a thing.

Fedace
02-22-2009, 09:58 PM
maybe good caning will do the trick...??? like they do in England..

Justin
02-22-2009, 10:02 PM
maybe he does not interpret standing up as a show of respect. it is a little presumptuous to come to the conclusion that by not standing he does not respect his country. even if you are right and he doesn't, do you think people should not be allowed to show their distaste with their country by sitting down? i dunno man, to say that you MUST respect your country and stand for the anthem rouses images of fascism in my mind, lol. in a democracy you are allowed to protest and show your disapproval with what your country is doing/has done.

to be entirely honest here, i have never once stood for the anthem out of genuine respect for the US. and no, i do not hate the US. i am grateful that i live in a country where i am safe and have all kinds of opportunities. i just do not get that feeling when i am standing for the anthem. don't ask me why. the reason i stand is because i am a disgusting conformist like everyone else. lollll

saram
02-22-2009, 10:03 PM
maybe he does not interpret standing up as a show of respect. it is a little presumptuous to come to the conclusion that by not standing he does not respect his country. even if you are right and he doesn't, do you think people should not be allowed to show their distaste with their country by sitting down? i dunno man, to say that you MUST respect your country and stand for the anthem rouses images of fascism in my mind, lol. in a democracy you are allowed to protest and show your disapproval with what your country is doing/has done.

to be entirely honest here, i have never once stood for the anthem out of genuine respect for the US. and no, i do not hate the US. i am grateful that i live in a country where i am safe and have all kinds of opportunities. i just do not get that feeling when i am standing for the anthem. don't ask me why. the reason i stand is because i am a disgusting conformist like everyone else. lollll

Wow--highly intelligent post there. Well said.

Fedace
02-22-2009, 10:16 PM
Wow--highly intelligent post there. Well said.

I thought you were going to say that about my post...:)

saram
02-22-2009, 10:16 PM
I spent ten years in the Army. I fought in two wars. Young's actions do not offend me in any way--even if they are true.

I consider my time in the service well spent if it means no fascist government is forcing him to stand when he does not want to.

That is what freedom is all about.

saram
02-22-2009, 10:17 PM
I thought you were going to say that about my post...:)

No, your post scared me :twisted:

Noveson
02-22-2009, 10:20 PM
^^ I sure did! My bad!

Hah totally understandable.

Well said. I don't totally agree with you but hey, to each his own. When I stand I do feel as if it is a thanks for all our country has given us(cheeesy I know). If I felt as you did I would not stand either.

Now calling everyone else a disgusting conformist is ridiculous, the US is remarkably diverse.

Okazaki Fragment
02-22-2009, 10:21 PM

Of course he has the right not to stand for our anthem. He has the right to burn our flag too without government penalizing him. But I have the right to think of him as unpatriotic and fire him as my spokesman. Freedom of speech is freedom from government interference, not freedom of judgment from your fellow citizens.

saram
02-22-2009, 10:24 PM
^^I'm not sure many of us on the planet have the right to judge other people. Just my two pennies.

Noveson
02-22-2009, 10:25 PM
^^I'm not sure many of us on the planet have the right to judge other people. Just my two pennies.

I think we all have the right to judge other people. Judgements rule our lives.

saram
02-22-2009, 10:26 PM

I think we are wasting our time when we judge other people but that's must my thoughts. I have more important things to do in life than pass judgment on other people and whether they are cool or not.

dParis
02-22-2009, 10:29 PM
I spent ten years in the Army. I fought in two wars. Young's actions do not offend me in any way--even if they are true.

I consider my time in the service well spent if it means no fascist government is forcing him to stand when he does not want to.

Word. And thanks for your service.

Justin
02-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Of course he has the right not to stand for our anthem. He has the right to burn our flag too without government penalizing him. But I have the right to think of him as unpatriotic and fire him as my spokesman. Freedom of speech is freedom from government interference, not freedom of judgment from your fellow citizens.

i never said he should be free from judgment by others. but if there is one thing i do not like, it is people being quick to attach a label to a person (like "unpatriotic") without knowing the details of what really happened, or just by poor reasoning.

dParis
02-22-2009, 10:30 PM

And you're right too Okazaki. That's diversity.

darrinbaker00
02-22-2009, 10:34 PM
If that actually happened, thats unfortunate. But, sponsors have no control, and rightfuly so, over which players enter, and play a tournament.
No, but they do have control over whether or not they want to sponsor a tournament if a player they don't care for is entered.

Rob_C
02-22-2009, 10:56 PM
No, but they do have control over whether or not they want to sponsor a tournament if a player they don't care for is entered.

Then that would amount to be a form of censorship/control/potential discrimination, and would open a whole new can of worms.

For example, what if sponsors of the Dubai tourney would pull out if Shahar Peer were allowed to participate, then what???

NamRanger
02-22-2009, 10:58 PM
Then that would amount to be a form of censorship/control/potential discrimination, and would open a whole new can of worms.

For example, what if sponsors of the Dubai tourney would pull out if Shahar Peer were allowed to participate, then what???

Sponsors are governed by a totally different set of laws. They are private investors, not a tournament governed by a league. Totally different. They can sponsor whoever they want as long as the person isn't performing illegal activities, etc.

Fee
02-22-2009, 10:59 PM
So here's some more about this story...

Someone associated with the tournament (I'm not sure if he's a co director or on the committee or what) started a thread at MTF about two days into the Dallas Challenger blasting DY for not standing for the anthem. Turns out they decided to 'get the anthem out of the way' for the night session and decided to play it while the two players who had just finished their match were still on court instead of waiting for them to leave and play it for the two players who were about to play as is normally done. So DY has just finished a match that he lost, and while he's sitting there pouting or fuming or whatever about losing, they start the national anthem and he doesn't stand up.

Links to MTF are edited here, so if you want more info you'll have to go over there and find it. It's in the General Messages section, just do a seach for DY anthem or something like that.

Noveson
02-22-2009, 11:01 PM
I think we are wasting our time when we judge other people but that's must my thoughts. I have more important things to do in life than pass judgment on other people and whether they are cool or not.

I think judging is totally necessary. How do you decide on who you would like to be friends with? There are quite a few people I like, but wouldn't want to spend too much time around. Isn't that a judgment?

saram
02-22-2009, 11:03 PM
So here's some more about this story...

Someone associated with the tournament (I'm not sure if he's a co director or on the committee or what) started a thread at MTF about two days into the Dallas Challenger blasting DY for not standing for the anthem. Turns out they decided to 'get the anthem out of the way' for the night session and decided to play it while the two players who had just finished their match were still on court instead of waiting for them to leave and play it for the two players who were about to play as is normally done. So DY has just finished a match that he lost, and while he's sitting there pouting or fuming or whatever about losing, they start the national anthem and he doesn't stand up.

Links to MTF are edited here, so if you want more info you'll have to go over there and find it. It's in the General Messages section, just do a seach for DY anthem or something like that.

Thanks, Fee. I knew there had to be more to this story. Look how many people blasted him without waiting for the truth.

saram
02-22-2009, 11:05 PM
I think judging is totally necessary. How do you decide on who you would like to be friends with? There are quite a few people I like, but wouldn't want to spend too much time around. Isn't that a judgment?

No, it is not judging. It is, however--taking in information and making a decision as to whom you want to hang out with and like for various reasons. You either like people or you don't.

Look at the information Fee posted. She gave us the facts as to what happened. Look how many people judged DY prior to getting the facts. Now that you have the facts, would your judgment be the same?

Judging, to me--is quick and unjust.

Making a decision based off information gathered over time is something else IMO.

dParis
02-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Look at the information Fee posted. She gave us the facts as to what happened.

Fee is a she, not a he? News to me, I see.

Fee
02-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks, Fee. I knew there had to be more to this story. Look how many people blasted him without waiting for the truth.

Well who knows. I'm giving you a condensed version of someone else's account. I wasn't there.

Fee
02-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Fee is a she, not a he? News to me, I see.

oh bloody hell, not this again.

dParis
02-22-2009, 11:17 PM
oh bloody hell, not this again.

Sorry. Assumed that was you on your avatar obviously sitting in front of your computer.:oops:

saram
02-22-2009, 11:19 PM
Sorry. Assumed that was you on your avatar obviously sitting in front of your computer.:oops:

I think that is Andy Roddick...

Fee
02-22-2009, 11:22 PM

Word, wearing Crocs. I still can't get over this photo and it's been almost a year. I am easily amused. :)

(PS, Saram - thanks for your service :) ).

dParis
02-22-2009, 11:24 PM

I need a bigger monitor. Or a better optometrist. Looks like Conan O'Brien or Clint Mathis.
Or Andy Roddick. :shock:

tahiti
02-22-2009, 11:26 PM
All some correct comments but When in Rome do as the Romans. it's the least you can do to respect others. Spoilt children will never be true champions on the sportsfield. Someone will always be better. Respect for self and for others will lead to great achievements, on and off the court. My two cents worth

Deuce
02-23-2009, 02:37 AM

^ Unbelievable! Someone who actually understands!!

Standing/taking off your hat, etc. for a national anthem is simply a reflex action for 98% of the populace. They do it because everyone else does it, and it is the socially acceptable thing to do.
Blind sheep, merely following.

(This isn't to mention the absolutely horrible "Look at ME! Look at ME!" renditions of the national anthem delivered by some 'music stars'.)

Good for Donald Young for not being afraid to assert his independent thinking (something that is habitually punished by the court of mindless public opinion, as proven in this thread).

^ You are totally wrong.
You make dozens of judgments each and every day - I guarantee that.
Judging is absolute human nature.
To not judge - or assess - situations, circumstances, and people is to not be human.
What you are likely referring to in a negative way is not judging, but PREjudging - as in judging someone before knowing the relevant facts, or judging someone simply based on irrelevant things like skin colour, or age, etc.
That is PREjudging, from which the lovely word prejudice comes.

Judging is something else altogether.
Judging is a normal and instinctive - and highly necessary - human action.

^ Of course they do.

^ I've been saying the same thing for years. Judging is how we distinguish our friends from our foes; how we decide what to do and what not to do; how we decide our favourite food, etc., etc.
It is remarkable how many people immediately disagree with me - simply because they've heard over and over that "judging is bad".
They don't THINK about what judging actually is - they simply react as they are told - by society - to react. And that is to say that "judging is bad". But they have no idea what they're saying.

Just like standing for the national anthem - the majority are merely blind followers who live for the most part unconsciously.

But - hey - TWO people in one thread (three now) who actually understand.
Must be a record.

tenis
02-23-2009, 09:21 AM
The other think is, he got a lot of support and money as young player from USTA and "he doesn't get it". Too bad, maybe he's missing some part of .......

Oui, c'est moi.
02-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Switzerland, I believe?
No, not even Switzerland.

drakulie
02-23-2009, 09:33 AM

don't know if this is true or not, but anyone who was does not stand for a national anthem is a loser with no grace or respect for the people that came before, and under great sacrifice gave up much of their freedoms, including their lives at times so that we have it better. Whether you are happy or not with the current state of things, one should at least show respect for those who provided you a better way of living.

Serpententacle
02-23-2009, 09:37 AM
All DY has to do to show respect for his country is go shopping. Right?

Moz
02-23-2009, 09:42 AM
The UK is looking for good players...why don't you move there.

With the added benefit that only our sheep give a crap about the national anthem.

JoshDragon
02-23-2009, 09:59 AM

thoughts?

IMO, that's not enough of a reason to call Donald Young disrespectful. If he doesn't want to stand for the national anthem then that's his decision. Leave him alone.

RoddickAce
02-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Imagine if DY gets banned next year cuz the tournament wanted to keep their sponsors. That would be ANOTHER political statement, wasn't Dubai enough? That said, I do think that if DY is American, and playing in front of an American crowd, and wants to have that crowd behind him, he sholda stood up.

CCSurf
02-23-2009, 12:25 PM
The pledge is a reaffirmation of the contract between the citizen and their nation in which the citizen agrees to live up to their duties (follow laws, stay informed, vote, jury duty, draft if necessary, question authority/leaders...) if the government agrees to protect the constitution, its amendments, and the rights of the citizen. I'll still stand for the pledge since I'm living up to my end of the bargain even though the government, in many cases, has not. This is because I hope we'll have a reversal in the policies that have trampled our constitution. IF DY doesn't want to be a part of that contract then he has the right to opt out of the protections offered by the constitution as well. IF DY just prefers to reaffirm his commitment to the ideals of the nation in a different way, so be it. I leave out the "under god" part since it is unconstitutional and was added in 1954 under considerable pressure from fundies during the Cold War/Red Scare.

skip1969
02-23-2009, 03:05 PM
ya'll need to lighten up and read back a page to where fee explains what really went down. it's no big deal.

do i stand at anthems? well, if standing in line for beer counts . . . then, yes.

saram
02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
ya'll need to lighten up and read back a page to where fee explains what really went down. it's no big deal.

do i stand at anthems? well, if standing in line for beer counts . . . then, yes.

Best post yet....:twisted:

And you are right--people should have read what Fee posted.

Andres
02-23-2009, 04:08 PM
This brings back the time when NBA player Chris Jackson, who changed his name to some Muslim name, Mahmoud something, wouldnt either stand, or cross his heart when the anthem was played before NBA games. Eventually a comrpomise was reached where he would stand and was alllowed to say an prayer of his choosing.
Mahmoud Abdul Rauf. Yeah, I remember ;)

NamRanger
02-23-2009, 04:38 PM
IMO, that's not enough of a reason to call Donald Young disrespectful. If he doesn't want to stand for the national anthem then that's his decision. Leave him alone.

Regardless whether it his decision or not, he is also representing American companies and the USTA. I don't think this kind of behavior flies too well with them.

stormholloway
02-23-2009, 04:47 PM
If it were considered respectful to remain seated during the anthem, you might all be complaining about Donald Young's disrespecting the anthem by standing up.

What difference does it make?

Maybe he's just oblivious to it, maybe he recognizes how trivial the ritual is, or maybe he's actively protesting the state of our union. Either way, you don't know why he didn't stand and I haven't heard a good explanation as to why one should stand for the anthem at all.

The only I reason I stand is because I don't like people standing up all around me while I'm seated. It obstructs my view and forces me to be on the level of crotches and asses.

heftylefty
02-23-2009, 04:50 PM

Thank you for services and sharing your take on freedom.

Bhagi Katbamna
02-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Saram, thanks for your service. Young can do what he likes, but standing up wouldn't have hurt him but sitting down will(with sponsors).

saram
02-23-2009, 06:58 PM
You know, I never wanted to hijack this thread and make it the "thanks Saram for your service thread".

My point was that I did my time in the service and fighting in wars and yet hold no contempt towards not only DY--but anyone that opts to not stand.

Considering that this instance of DY sitting during the anthem occurred at a period of time that mentioned confusion when the anthem was not scheduled to be played--I can understand DY being so caught up in focusing on his match and being totally oblivious to it happening.

Now, DY also does have a temper. He has thrown sticks out of stadiums. I have seen him go off in person and on the television. He does have a short fuse and I am aware of his antics at times.

I am not blinded by patriotism. And I will not judge him based off of some rumors floating around on the web. The only way I would be able to judge him and what happened and how I would feel about it is if I were there and witnessed it for myself.

I may have missed it in this thread. But I'm not sure the OP (that claims to have talked to the sponsors) has come along and cleared things up as to what the sponsors said. I'll read again but I'm still waiting for that reply from the OP.

dherring
02-23-2009, 07:30 PM

...what?!? are you kidding? I like the poetic use of the word "Crimson" tho

NamRanger
02-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Saram, thanks for your service. Young can do what he likes, but standing up wouldn't have hurt him but sitting down will(with sponsors).

This is exactly the point. I don't have a problem with not standing during the pledge. However, he'll have to face the consequences with the sponsors, many whom are American based (USTA for instance).

saram
02-23-2009, 11:07 PM
This is exactly the point. I don't have a problem with not standing during the pledge. However, he'll have to face the consequences with the sponsors, many whom are American based (USTA for instance).

Did you read what FEE POSTED?

NamRanger
02-23-2009, 11:11 PM
Did you read what FEE POSTED?

Regardless of a loss or not, I don't think the sponsors will be too happy to see the way he acted AFTER his loss. It's his choice whether he wants to stand up or not. It's also his own fault if the sponsors don't like his sore loser attitude either (which I believe is what happened).

Fee
02-23-2009, 11:21 PM
It was the national anthem, not the pledge of allegiance (not sure if that matters to anyone, but I just wanted to make it clear).

Some years ago, there was a candidate forum on my campus. At the beginning of the forum we all stood for the pledge except for one young Black man in the front row. The first candidate actually used some of his alotted time to ask the young man why he didn't stand and he said something like 'because I don't feel like the country I live in really cares about me' or something like that. It was a very short answer and the candidate said 'fair enough, thanks for your answer.'

Now I don't think that DY was thinking anything like that, I have no idea at all why he didn't stand for the national anthem, but it's just an example that some people will make this relatively small gesture as a sign of some type of personal protest.

edmondsm
02-23-2009, 11:47 PM
So yes, in summation it is very possible that DY didn't even realize that he would be expected to stand, as he had just finished his match and was getting his crap together. I doubt tennis players are usually in this situation, where the Anthem is playing right AFTER their match. Who cares. After Fee's post this is pretty much a non-issue.

Okazaki Fragment
02-24-2009, 12:03 AM
I've never seen Young play before. His game doesn't seem very overpowering or unique. How is getting so many sponsorship deals? In any case, am I the only who had the misconception that Donald Young was right handed...and Asian?

ESP#1
02-24-2009, 12:29 AM
If D Young cared about his game as much as you guys care about this situation then maybe he'd crack the top 100

edmondsm
02-24-2009, 12:49 AM
I wonder if IW will give DY a wild card. I bet they will.

Okazaki Fragment
02-24-2009, 12:57 AM
I wonder if IW will give DY a wild card. I bet they will.

Again, the other thing that us as a tournament and our sponsors were upset about was there was no thank you from Donald or anyone in his camp for giving him a wc. A wc that his agent hounded us for. He showed up one day before his scheduled match, gave no interviews, didn't attend any of our adult or junior clinics, played his match and left.

I bet they won't after this incident.

edmondsm
02-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Again, the other thing that us as a tournament and our sponsors were upset about was there was no thank you from Donald or anyone in his camp for giving him a wc. A wc that his agent hounded us for. He showed up one day before his scheduled match, gave no interviews, didn't attend any of our adult or junior clinics, played his match and left.

I bet they won't after this incident.

Can't find that quote anywhere. Do you have a link?

boreas
02-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Not to jump into a Nationalist fray or anything, but where I live and attend sporting events, before they play the National Anthem, the ask everyone something like:

"Would you now please stand to honor your country and serviceman with the playing of the National Anthem."

Or something like that. I stand because my 92 year old German grandfather who fought for America in WWII, and can hardly stand up by himself, stands up and takes off his hat. I stand to respect him and all other people who fought to protect our right to NOT STAND if we choose.

danb
02-24-2009, 10:52 AM
Not to jump into a Nationalist fray or anything, but where I live and attend sporting events, before they play the National Anthem, the ask everyone something like:

"Would you now please stand to honor your country and serviceman with the playing of the National Anthem."

Or something like that. I stand because my 92 year old German grandfather who fought for America in WWII, and can hardly stand up by himself, stands up and takes off his hat. I stand to respect him and all other people who fought to protect our right to NOT STAND if we choose.

Yes - we all have this right. The problem is when you do that you make a statement - you must be motivated by something serious not just "I'm not in the mood".
US did enough for DY - WC, sponsorship and such. Unless he has a serious beef with his country he should stand up his as&*(.
This shouldn't be a fashion statement.
Dude, your grandfather stands up at 92 - all the respect for that. What is the reason DY doesn't stand up? He should make it public.

THUNDERVOLLEY
02-24-2009, 04:10 PM
The pledge is a reaffirmation of the contract between the citizen and their nation in which the citizen agrees to live up to their duties (follow laws, stay informed, vote, jury duty, draft if necessary, question authority/leaders...) if the government agrees to protect the constitution, its amendments, and the rights of the citizen. I'll still stand for the pledge since I'm living up to my end of the bargain even though the government, in many cases, has not. This is because I hope we'll have a reversal in the policies that have trampled our constitution. IF DY doesn't want to be a part of that contract then he has the right to opt out of the protections offered by the constitution as well. IF DY just prefers to reaffirm his commitment to the ideals of the nation in a different way, so be it.

Pure propaganda. DY has no obligation to engage in anything for whatever reason. He is a free man,not a puppet marching in lockstep with drones believing a series of words or music defines the character of a citizen.

Racer41c
02-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Sorry to say, in the case of this guy, you get what you get. Not representative of anybody but himself.

Mkie7
02-24-2009, 05:21 PM
Well, he is an adult and can do as he pleases. He may have had reasons for not standing or just been obtuse to the moment. I would not crucify him until further information comes of this.

Agreed !!!

equinox
02-24-2009, 09:38 PM
And in the end we all know that Donald Young will hold aloft the championship trophy by 2012. It's his destiny.

OTMPut
02-24-2009, 10:06 PM
Incredible! So many people equate not standing up for an anthem to disrespecting one's country!!
Is that the level of critical thinking here?

I still go by G.B. Shaw's "Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel".

stormholloway
02-25-2009, 01:51 AM
It was the national anthem, not the pledge of allegiance (not sure if that matters to anyone, but I just wanted to make it clear).

Some years ago, there was a candidate forum on my campus. At the beginning of the forum we all stood for the pledge except for one young Black man in the front row. The first candidate actually used some of his alotted time to ask the young man why he didn't stand and he said something like 'because I don't feel like the country I live in really cares about me' or something like that. It was a very short answer and the candidate said 'fair enough, thanks for your answer.'

Now I don't think that DY was thinking anything like that, I have no idea at all why he didn't stand for the national anthem, but it's just an example that some people will make this relatively small gesture as a sign of some type of personal protest.

What is 'the pledge' exactly? Are you talking about the pledge of allegiance? This is about the national anthem.

Joeyg
03-02-2009, 10:50 AM
I remember the stir I caused back in high school when I refused to say the Pledge of Allegiance every morning in first period. This was the late 60's early 70's, right in the middle of the Vietnam conflict. I had a very hard time justifying my allegiance to a country headed by a man, Nixon, who was committed to "winning" the war over there.

coloskier
03-02-2009, 02:38 PM

Tell that to Dubai, who let in Ram, or they would have lost a lot of sponsors.

coloskier
03-02-2009, 02:44 PM
If D Young cared about his game as much as you guys care about this situation then maybe he'd crack the top 100

Now you are getting at the real root of the problem.

edmondsm
03-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Well maybe DY will grow up in the next couple years, cut the cord and hit the road without his mommy. He still has plenty of time to carve out a good career.

Cybele
03-05-2009, 11:41 PM
and yesterday he went out in the second round of a futures tournament where he was no1 seed, beaten by a player in the 400's...

GET A REAL COACH, DONALD!

Rhino
03-08-2009, 01:21 AM
and yesterday he went out in the second round of a futures tournament where he was no1 seed, beaten by a player in the 400's...

GET A REAL COACH, DONALD!

Yeah I saw that, beaten by Tigran Martirosyan, wtf?