PDA

View Full Version : How old do you stop playing/using the Wilson Prostaff 6.0 (85)?

TuTu
03-02-2005, 04:23 AM
Dear all,

How old do you stop playing/using the Wilson Prostaff 6.0 (85)?

When did you finally gave up using the Wilson Prostaff 6.0 (85)?

Anyone still using it after the age of 30? Do you find it a disadvantage over your other same age group buddy who change to a lighter or Mid+ or OS racquet?

Thanks.

joe sch
03-02-2005, 07:41 AM
I know quite a few players in the 40s..60s that still play the classic ps60. They are good players that have kept thier games consistent by playing regular. Many of these players would handicap themselves with a larger racket head because they are soo familar with the properties of the sweetspot on the ps60 and the sweetspot on larger heads has diff effects. If you can play a 85si head then moving upto a 95si+ actually handicaps your swinging technique. I even know one player in his 60s that is still using the ultra pws original which has a headsize of the standard woodies, ie 70si, and there is no way he would ever even considering using the classic ps60 ! I think he pretty much proves the point that oldage does not require changing rackets if you can keep your game consistent.

nutter
03-02-2005, 06:14 PM
I am 37yo and I still use the original PS 85. Think joe sch is right when he says people use to the PS 85 can still use it even if they are over the hill! My game suffered a bit due to lack of fitness and matchplay but since recently picking up my game again, there doesn't seem to be anything wrong my game using the PS85. Demoed a few rackets as I am thinking of changing due to arm/wrist issues but I think it was more a lack of fitness on my part. And I've added more lead tape to the 3 & 9 positions which makes hitting half volleys from the baseline a cinch. Never come close to the control and feel of the PS85 but one must keep their game up.

Ray Wong
03-02-2005, 06:58 PM
What is the reason that need to gave up PS85 after 30? I am 30 & I still using it & love it, I will use it until I can't play tennis. I have 27 racquets and almost all of them are midsize, from 70sq.in. wood to 92sq.in Estusa(I have few prestige mid but I think they are not more than 90sq.in), except one Bab PD & one Head TiS5(my wife's racqeut). I had tried a few MP & OS and I didn't like them.

paulfreda
03-02-2005, 09:06 PM
I am 58 and love my PS6.095. It is flexible, so easy on the arm, but has great control. It is still one of the best frames I have ever played with. Perhaps I will want a 100+ sqin frame in my 70's, but for now, I am quite happy.
Yes I know you asked about the 85. JFYI concerning the 95.

elbuzzard
03-02-2005, 09:42 PM
im 31 and i still use it. i like it strung with gut at 62lbs. most controll ever. not much for power.