PDA

View Full Version : Crosses w/Lux. rough mains

alice59864
02-23-2009, 08:45 AM
I've been using Luxilon ALU Rough and have had some elbow problems. I would like to use something durable yet playable for crosses. Any suggestions??

davidahenry
02-23-2009, 02:07 PM
I use full Alu Power Rough but recently tried a hybrid with Tecnifibre NRG2 in the crosses. It was a really nice hybrid - just a little too soft and a little too powerful for my liking. Therefore, I went back to full Alu Power Rough.

If you are having arm problems though, I suggest giving it a try. It is a nice, soft multi, and using it as a cross should soften your overall string bed a little and perhaps help your arm. Is it the most durable? Probably not, but "soft" and "durable" don't always go hand-in-hand. In other words, if you want a durable string, chances are it will not be the softest. Conversely, if you want a soft string, chances are it will not be the most durable. Like with most things in life, there is a trade-off. :)

NRG2 is definitely not the cheapest multi, so you may want to save money with something else. I've read some great things about Babolat Addiction ($9 per set vs. $13 per set for NRG2), so you may want to give that a try as well.

Good luck.

DH

wao
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I've been using Luxilon ALU Rough and have had some elbow problems. I would like to use something durable yet playable for crosses. Any suggestions??Durable and playable as a hybrid. I have tried ALUR and MT ( a soft mulit simular to NRG) got about 10 hrs out of it. That is expected with a softer cross. I get between 12-15 hrs when I gave used a syn gut.

Ilove10nis
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
IMO, Put Multi or Syn gut work well with ALu rough. But just want to let you know When you put Multi string on cross it will have a lot of power b/c the string is softer than Poly. you have to add 2-4 lbs.
For me , I been try so many strings, Multi, Natural Guts and Syn Guts. I love Syn Gut best on cross and Alu rough main. It's the best combination for me... others strings seem to give too much power, even I add 3-5 lbs more than main.

I think you have to try and play with it. good luck!!!

alice59864
02-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Thanks I will try a few different syn. gut offerings and will see if this helps. I really like the playability of the ALU rough and usually need it to reduce the power of racquet(Prince SP Black LB and Bab Roddick). Will probably just go back to full ALU rough and take more ibuprofen!

hoodjem
02-28-2009, 06:58 AM
I've been using Luxilon ALU Rough and have had some elbow problems. I would like to use something durable yet playable for crosses. Any suggestions??

Full Luxilon ALU Rough ? Ouch! Definite elbow-problem-formula.

Cross with any decent and durable multi (at 3-4 lbs. higher tension to cut down on power), and I believe your elbow will love you.