PDA

View Full Version : Will Murray take the number 3 slot?

batz
02-23-2009, 09:25 AM
Back to back wins at Dubai and IW will see Murray leapfrog Novak into 3rd spot. Bit of a long shot but a shot nonetheless.

Will Murray get that third spot this year?

vbranis
02-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Well, not to jump on the Murray bandwagon, but I do think that he will overtake Joker by the French Open.

Djokovic seems to be lacking confidence now and he looks really vulnerable.

wihamilton
02-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Ya I think he'll overtake Novak. If anything he's just mentally tougher... I'd give him the edge in pulling out close matches late in tournaments. Which is kind of funny, considering Murray's mental game used to be relatively inconsistent.

DoubleDeuce
02-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I voted end of season. He shows more consistent than djok, currently.

allcourter2008
02-23-2009, 10:13 AM
I don't think so.

As long as Djokovic stays a clearly better clay courter than Murray he'll be #3.

Max G.
02-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Djokovic has about 3000 points to defend between now and RG.

Murray has about 600 to defend between now and then.

They're currently separated by about 1500 points in the rankings. Based on how Djokovic is playing, it looks like he'll lose some of those 3000.

However, we'll have to see how much Murray can improve on his 600. Remember, we've never seen him do well on clay yet.

IF Murray overtakes Djokovic, it will have to be by the end of the clay season. After which Djokovic will have an excellent chance to take it back by the end of the year.

bobbynorwich
02-23-2009, 10:45 AM
It'll be after the US Open, when Djoker wins the Retirement Slam (first player to retire in each Grand Slam) due to a pesky hangnail on his left pinkie.

tahiti
02-23-2009, 10:59 AM
The way is looking at the moment it might be higher than three at season end.

shadows
02-23-2009, 12:00 PM
I've gone for by the end of the french open, I'm not quite sure Murrays fitness right now is high enough to see him have a real chance do what's necessary @ Dubai and Indian Wells. I definately expect to see an improvement on clay for him this year though and I've felt Djokovic has been lacklustre so far this season.

FlamEnemY
02-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Djokovic has about 3000 points to defend between now and RG.

Murray has about 600 to defend between now and then.

They're currently separated by about 1500 points in the rankings. Based on how Djokovic is playing, it looks like he'll lose some of those 3000.

However, we'll have to see how much Murray can improve on his 600. Remember, we've never seen him do well on clay yet.

IF Murray overtakes Djokovic, it will have to be by the end of the clay season. After which Djokovic will have an excellent chance to take it back by the end of the year.

Quoted for truth. I expect Murray to overtake the number 3 spot, but give it back later in the season.

GameSampras
02-23-2009, 12:37 PM
Djoker had ample opportunity to take over the number 2 ranking. He didnt do it. And it doesnt look to me as if he will start playing his top tennis form any time soon. THe last time I was impressed with Djoker was AO 2008. Since then, he hasnt impressed me a whole helluva lot. He won the YEC but he got gift in doing so. Fed, Nadal, Murray all out.

I will bet money that Murray overtakes Djoker towards the end of the year and even has a stronger showing on both grass and clay than Djoker. Murray has gotten better. Hes improved more than Djoker has and he could very well have won the AO had he not been sick and ran into an on fire Verdasco. Meanwhile, Djoker cant even handle playing with Roddick

Djoker's head isnt in the game anymore. He cant play in the heat. He has breathing issues and his game has been erratic for quite a while now and he certainly been playing like he is capable of. Murray overtakes DJoker this year. Maybe even Fed. Book it!!

vmosrafa08
02-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Murray isn't looking too good, either. He lost to Verdasco, and I doubt that he can get to no. 3. Djokovic was one win away from being no. 2 last year, and I think that things will stay the same. Djokovic has a lot of determination, and the only way for Murray to be no. 3 is if Federer loses his ranking

Cesc Fabregas
02-23-2009, 12:40 PM
Djoker had ample opportunity to take over the number 2 ranking. He didnt do it. And it doesnt look to me as if he will start playing his top tennis form any time soon. THe last time I was impressed with Djoker was AO 2008. Since then, he hasnt impressed me a whole helluva lot. He won the YEC but he got gift in doing so. Fed, Nadal, Murray all out.

I will bet money that Murray overtakes Djoker towards the end of the year and even has a stronger showing on both grass and clay than Djoker. Murray has gotten better. Hes improved more than Djoker has and he could very well have won the AO had he not been sick and ran into an on fire Verdasco.

Djoker's head isnt in the game anymore. He cant play in the heat. He has breathing issues and his game has been erratic for quite a while now and he certainly been playing like he is capable of. Murray overtakes DJoker this year. Maybe even Fed. Book it!!

Murray no ways does better on clay than Djoker, Murray sucks on clay don't know why people think he's going to do well and on the other hand Djoker is a very good claycourter you could argue he was the second best claycourter last year behind Nadal.

GameSampras
02-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Murray no ways does better on clay than Djoker, Murray sucks on clay don't know why people think he's going to do well and on the other hand Djoker is a very good claycourter you could argue he was the second best claycourter last year behind Nadal.

Murray isnt a great clay courter by any means. But I would bet we will see an improved Murray on both surfaces this year. Sure Djoker had a strong showing on clay last year. But it was LAST YEAR. He was playing with more confidence and solidness . We havent seen great tennis out of Djoker in around a year. I dont see it changing any time soon. Hes a nutjob. He got b1tchslapped by headcase Safin at wimbeldon if I remember correctly. A guy that hasnt done jack diddly since what 2005?

Cesc Fabregas
02-23-2009, 12:47 PM
Murray isnt a great clay courter by any means. But I would bet he will see an improved Murray on both surfaces this year. Sure Djoker had a strong showing on clay last year. But it was LAST YEAR. He was playing with more confidence and solidness . We havent seen great tennis out of Djoker in around a year. I dont see it changing any time soon. Hes a nutjob. He got b1tchslapped by headcase Safin at wimbeldon if I remember correctly. A guy that hasnt done jack diddly since what 2005?

Doesn't matter if Murray is confident he doesn't have the game for clay he can't generate power himself he can't hit through a clay court, and Djoker played well at the YEM he destroyed Davydenko in the final who had destroyed Murray the round before.

thalivest
02-23-2009, 12:49 PM
Doesn't matter if Murray is confident he doesn't have the game for clay he can't generate power himself he can't hit through a clay court, and Djoker played well at the YEM he destroyed Davydenko in the final who had destroyed Murray the round before.

You are right up to now. However he might improve alot on clay this year. He improved alot on hard courts since this time last year.

Cesc Fabregas
02-23-2009, 12:53 PM
You are right up to now. However he might improve alot on clay this year. He improved alot on hard courts since this time last year.

Maybe but I feel there's tons of guys that are better on clay than Murray thus I doubt he will make a serious impact on the clay court season.

thalivest
02-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Maybe but I feel there's tons of guys that are better on clay than Murray thus I doubt he will make a serious impact on the clay court season.

Well the clay court field is actually not that deep today as has been discussed before. The surface with the most depth these days is by far hard courts which is almost everyones favorite surface, not too surprising given that 70% of the tour or something is hard courts now. So if Murray improves on clay even a decent amount I dont see it that hard to go deep since there arent that many true quality clay courters out there. I mean who would you list as the top 8 now on clay. Federer has been an excellent clay courter for awhile but last year he wasnt IMO, and Djokovic is very good but certainly not great on clay, and it seems pretty clear they are 2nd and 3rd.

batz
02-23-2009, 01:02 PM

If Tim Henman can make the semi-finals of RG serving and volleying then I'm pretty sure Murray can make a decent impact on clay.

Cesc Fabregas
02-23-2009, 01:03 PM
Well the clay court field is actually not that deep today as has been discussed before. The surface with the most depth these days is by far hard courts which is almost everyones favorite surface, not too surprising given that 70% of the tour or something is hard courts now. So if Murray improves on clay even a decent amount I dont see it that hard to go deep since there arent that many true quality clay courters out there. I mean who would you list as the top 8 now on clay. Federer has been an excellent clay courter for awhile but last year he wasnt IMO, and Djokovic is very good but certainly not great on clay, and it seems pretty clear they are 2nd and 3rd.

True the clay court field is not as deep as it in the 90's and Murray could do well this clay court season but his movement court coverage footwork and serve and not very good on clay compared to HC's and I feel he will struggle the moment he comes up against a compentent clay courter like he did last year with Almagro.

GameSampras
02-23-2009, 01:20 PM
I dunno.. I just wouldnt a whole lot of stock with Djoker at this point. Hes not the most level-headed player on tour right now. In a lot of ways he reminds of Safin (not to the extreme of course) having all that talent but not a head to match it. Djoker had quite a few opportunities there to nip that #2 ranking from Roger and came up short each time. I do feel Murray will surprise a lot of people this year and could make a strong showing at wimbeldon and the french. There isnt a whole lot of depth on either grass or clay as there used to to be honest. That confidence could carry over into the whole year.

Djoker needs to show us more with a consistent high level of play throughout the entire season.. He had a great first quarter of 2008. And was playing remarkably at the AO and RG. But alot of the season left much to be desired

Cesc Fabregas
02-23-2009, 01:22 PM
I dunno.. I just wouldnt a whole lot of stock with Djoker at this point. Hes not the most level-headed player on tour right now. In a lot of ways he reminds of Safin (not to the extreme of course) having all that talent but not a head to match it. Djoker had quite a few opportunities there to nip that #2 ranking from Roger and came up short each time. I do feel Murray will surprise a lot of people this year and could make a strong showing at wimbeldon and the french. There isnt a whole lot of depth on either grass or clay as there used to to be honest. That confidence could carry over into the whole year.

Djoker needs to show us more with a consistent high level of play throughout the entire season.. He had a great first quarter of 2008. And was playing remarkably at the AO and RG. But alot of the season left much to be desired

He did get the bronzes medal in the olympics, final at Cincinati, semis at the USO and won the YEM's it wasn't a terrible second half of the season.