PDA

View Full Version : Worst Pusher In History

richied
02-23-2009, 03:00 PM
I'm thinking Sanchez Vicario...OOOOOO the pain of watching her..Men-not sure?

SempreSami
02-23-2009, 03:02 PM
I'm going to say Santoro, can't stand people going on about "zomg variety", just because he uses two hands and puts spin on everything.

miniRafa386
02-23-2009, 03:08 PM
there really arent any guys that push- there are counterpunchers, but no pushers. i would agree with sanchez vicario tho

oneguy21
02-23-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm going to say Santoro, can't stand people going on about "zomg variety", just because he uses two hands and puts spin on everything.

He's not a pusher. He uses a crapload of variety to confuse the ***** out of you.

I'm gonna say there are no pushers in pro tennis. It takes a lot of talent to be a pro and so pushers wouldn't survive in that league.

richied
02-23-2009, 03:11 PM

Agree..Poor fella, surely he misses the exciting of hitting a winner.

Nadal_Freak
02-23-2009, 03:13 PM
No such thing as a pusher in the pro level. More ground strokes equal better. Lendl and Chang match at RG 1989 was the closest you get to it though.

sheets
02-23-2009, 03:15 PM
I really don't think Santoro qualifies as a pusher the guy is a really good volleyer, serves and volleys quite often, and puts the majority of them away. He hits just as hard as the majority of guys.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
02-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Davide Sanguinetti was a huge pusher...he strung his rackets something like 15 Ibs...

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 03:35 PM
Ima get hung for this.......

but Nadal was a pretty bad pusher early on, i say 03, 04, he was even worse when he was younger, these days not really at all

get mad all you want, its the truth

viktorkwan
02-23-2009, 03:37 PM
Karol Kucera!!!

The King of moonballs

miyagi
02-23-2009, 03:41 PM

but Nadal was a pretty bad pusher early on, i say 03, 04, he was even worse when he was younger, these days not really at all

According to Uncle Toni Nadal was MORE aggressive when he was younger and I remember seeing him play a few matches and didn't think he pushed at all! I think I recal a match with Hewit where he was hitting a load of winners and the commentators were saying he had a great forehand.......And a really bad pusher? Hmmmmmmm......??

Nadal_Freak
02-23-2009, 03:42 PM

Nadal actually hit the ball flatter when he was younger. He would go for broke a lot. By 2005 he changed his style to use more topspin and be safer. I would say by 2007 it was starting to wear him down so he got more aggressive. He has constantly improved his offensive game since to present day.

cujays
02-23-2009, 03:48 PM
hewwitt is not what i consider a pusher
he just counter punches until he gets the chance to win the point

rubberduckies
02-23-2009, 03:53 PM

Yeah he was such a pusher when he was 9 years old.

And the correct term is "hanged".

gj011
Conchita "Moonball" Martinez. She was way worse than Sanchez.

And she won Wimbledon on "fast grass" in the era of Graf and (old) Navratilova.

ESP#1
Nadal actually hit the ball flatter when he was younger. He would go for broke a lot. By 2005 he changed his style to use more topspin and be safer. I would say by 2007 it was starting to wear him down so he got more aggressive. He has constantly improved his offensive game since to present day.

you ever seen young nadal?

miyagi
02-23-2009, 03:56 PM
you ever seen young nadal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeabrKndlUs

Nadal in 2004 not much of a pusher to me kid!

miniRafa386
02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
where's that vid of nadal playing hewitt a few years ago in australia? that had some HUGE forehands in it from nadal

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 04:02 PM
well i know you gotta 2 min highlight of his best shots but i saw em on clay and he was hitting short serves and standing way behind the baseline spinning shots in, maybe not pusher like a club pusher but on the pro level its as close as it gets since young chang

Gugafan
02-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Davide Sanguinetti was a huge pusher...he strung his rackets something like 15 Ibs...

Gets my vote.

miyagi
02-23-2009, 04:08 PM
well i know you gotta 2 min highlight of his best shots but i saw em on clay and he was hitting short serves and standing way behind the baseline spinning shots in, maybe not pusher like a club pusher but on the pro level its as close as it gets since young chang

LOL.....A pusher doesnt go for winners.....rafa was going for winners.....BTW Have you tried serving with your left hand?....plus his serve isn't that bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pePI--ca4BU&feature=related

This is when he is 16 and he isn't pushing here.....just admit it you are wrong

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 04:27 PM
LOL.....A pusher doesnt go for winners.....rafa was going for winners.....BTW Have you tried serving with your left hand?....plus his serve isn't that bad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pePI--ca4BU&feature=related

This is when he is 16 and he isn't pushing here.....just admit it you are wrong

Ok let me see if i put this in a way you understand, at the pro level, not your level, early in his career he was would i would consider a pusher, my opinion, if you ever saw him before he was big, say courtside you would notice his clearance ever the net was really high compared to others, playing high percentage low risk defensive tennis,

darthpwner
02-23-2009, 04:52 PM
the worst pusher in history would probably be brad gilbert. winning ugly ftw lol

mdjenders
02-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Conchita "Moonball" Martinez. She was way worse than Sanchez.

And she won Wimbledon on "fast grass" in the era of Graf and (old) Navratilova.

eww.... yes. i remember absolutely hating to watch arantxa, but martinez was awful. everything about her game was bleh.

DunlopDood
02-23-2009, 06:09 PM
No such thing as a pusher in the pro level. More ground strokes equal better. Lendl and Chang match at RG 1989 was the closest you get to it though.

Did you just classify Ivan Lendl as a pusher? Wow, cleary you are too young to have seen Lendl play.

Nadal_Freak
02-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Did you just classify Ivan Lendl as a pusher? Wow, cleary you are too young to have seen Lendl play.
No. Just that one match he was a pusher. He fell into the trap Chang started.

saram
02-23-2009, 06:12 PM

Not everyone speaks English as a first language here, Mate. Leave the English lessons at home, please?

saram
02-23-2009, 06:13 PM
No. Just that one match he was a pusher. He fell into the trap Chang started.

Glad you clarified that. A friend of mine that played Lendl during his prime said Lendl hit the ball harder than anyone on tour.

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 07:38 PM
Not everyone speaks English as a first language here, Mate. Leave the English lessons at home, please?

Its funny i didnt even catch that, thanks man, btw hung is not even really that off, not worse than, gotta cuz, cause, doin, sup or any other terms used on these forums, that guy is just a troll man, ive spotted him a few times and really ads nothing positive, i already told em what he can do with his rubberduckies

edmondsm
02-23-2009, 08:19 PM
I'd hate to say it, but what about Chris Everett? I am too young to have seen her live, but from the videos I've seen, holy crap. Especially the French Opens, it's like she is trying to set the world record for "most boring tennis that won Grand Slams".

Shaolin
02-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Karol Kucera!!!

The King of moonballs

Good call. Kucera just massaged the ball back until his opponent fell into a deep sleep or coma.

Deuce
02-24-2009, 02:25 AM
Good call. Kucera just massaged the ball back until his opponent fell into a deep sleep or coma.
Mecir was a mentor to Kucera - which explains why Kucera's 'style' closely resembled Mecir's.

And Mecir was about the smoothest mover and ball striker ever.

These are good things, by the way.

Tempest344
02-24-2009, 03:10 AM
a 1.0 pusher?

no such thing as pushers in the pros

dirtballer
02-24-2009, 04:19 AM
Harold Solomon or Eddie Dibbs

NotAtTheNet
02-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Uhhh Brad Gilbert anyone? Has to be the greatest pusher of all time

Gorecki
02-24-2009, 06:53 AM

and i was under the impression he was a machine... !

hum.. these precious gems of correct english... i wonder if UsedRubbers here talks that fluently any other language!

Gorecki
02-24-2009, 06:55 AM
eww.... yes. i remember absolutely hating to watch arantxa, but martinez was awful. everything about her game was bleh.

its the gravity in spain... makes the ball go lower, so they compensate with net clearence. in other places it makes them look like moonballers!

mikeler
02-24-2009, 07:18 AM
Mecir was a mentor to Kucera - which explains why Kucera's 'style' closely resembled Mecir's.

I have to go with Mecir.

pete92
02-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Gilles Simon

woodrow1029
02-24-2009, 07:54 AM
I'd hate to say it, but what about Chris Everett? I am too young to have seen her live, but from the videos I've seen, holy crap. Especially the French Opens, it's like she is trying to set the world record for "most boring tennis that won Grand Slams".
The key words. "won grand slams."

edmondsm
02-24-2009, 08:15 AM
The key words. "won grand slams."

Exactly. That's what makes her the worst pusher in history. Look at the titles she pushed her way too.

Shaolin
02-24-2009, 08:46 AM

Yep. I liked Mecir, disliked Kucera. Kucera even pushed on overheads. I remember Kucera playing Sampras in a round robin match, ATP year end championships 1998, where he got an overhead and literally just pattycaked it 40 mph back (it was a sitter and not a lob that he could barely get to). Sampras destroyed him in that match, making him look like a junior player.

heninfan99
02-24-2009, 11:28 AM
That would be Brad Gilbert.

mixertefera
02-24-2009, 01:24 PM
all i have to say is if your a pro then your not a pusher

skip1969
02-24-2009, 06:06 PM
no one made me groan in front of the tv as an impressionable tennis youth more than mr brad gilbert. lord . . . that sh*t was painful!

Mick
02-24-2009, 06:20 PM
i think the worst pusher in the game has to be sister andrea jaeger because when in trouble, she would engage in what bud collins called "lunar madness", the moon ball rally. and most of the players (except the very top players) back then did not know how to put the ball away. they would moon ball the moon ball back.

coloskier
02-25-2009, 06:11 AM
Karol Kucera!!!

The King of moonballs

Not even close.... Eddie Dibbs was the king of moonballers. He could hit a ball 10 feet over the net and hit within 2 feet of the baseline on almost every shot. You couldn't play S&V, you couldn't hit blasting rallies, you just had to outlast him.

ohlori
02-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Yep. I liked Mecir, disliked Kucera. Kucera even pushed on overheads. I remember Kucera playing Sampras in a round robin match, ATP year end championships 1998, where he got an overhead and literally just pattycaked it 40 mph back (it was a sitter and not a lob that he could barely get to). Sampras destroyed him in that match, making him look like a junior player.

Finesse player is a better description for Mecir.
He outfinessed Mcenroe during a match at the Dallas tournament in 1987. "It's a god**** conspiracy!" Mcenroe concluded during the match :???:

Shaolin
02-25-2009, 09:29 AM
Finesse player is a better description for Mecir.
He outfinessed Mcenroe during a match at the Dallas tournament in 1987. "It's a god**** conspiracy!" Mcenroe concluded during the match :???:

Yeah Mecir was awesome. So smooth. Definitely lived up to his nickname.

mikeler
02-25-2009, 10:03 AM
Kent Carlsson for those of you old enough to remember that moonballer.

Kobble
02-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Karol Kucera!!!

The King of moonballs
That was Agassi, he was the monnball king in that match. Kucera played flat.