PDA

View Full Version : Where do you live and what is the highest level played in you area?

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 04:32 PM
USTA that is, I'm new to his USTA stuff but i notice my area only gets up to 4.0 looking to see what areas in the U.S are more competitive

thanks

amarone
02-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Atlanta. 5.0

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 05:47 PM
I guess the bigger cities have better comp, makes sense

LeeD
02-23-2009, 05:54 PM
Berkeley.
UC Berkeley team practices on all the local courts, since Helman is closed for renovate/earthquake proofing.
They'd be around 5.5 in singles, maybe 5.0 in doubles.

Bottle Rocket
02-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Kansas City has some solid 5.0 players, but they rarely ever have a 5.0 division in the local tournaments as most of them don't care to play that type of tournament. The 4.5 division which I generally play is pretty large (eh, 16 people? is that large?) in all local USTA tourneys, and there are some very good players in that division. I tend to get destroyed...

saram
02-23-2009, 07:17 PM
NW TN. 5.0-6.0 around here.

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 07:33 PM
saram what do you play if you dont mind me asking?

cak
02-23-2009, 07:41 PM
There are 5.5 men's leagues in NorCal. Women's leagues only goes up to 5.0, but there are a few 5.5 ladies that play mixed 10.0 and tournaments.

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 07:50 PM
There are 5.5 men's leagues in NorCal. Women's leagues only goes up to 5.0, but there are a few 5.5 ladies that play mixed 10.0 and tournaments.

is that bay area or further up? thought of moving out there

cak
02-23-2009, 08:48 PM
is that bay area or further up? thought of moving out there

The leagues are in the Bay area. Three teams from SF, one from Marin, two from the south bay and one from the east bay.

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 08:56 PM
The leagues are in the Bay area. Three teams from SF, one from Marin, two from the south bay and one from the east bay.

thanks bro

RakettoKozou
02-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Close to LA in a little city called Moorpark. There's a few 4.5 adults and about a couple 5.5s in school age (14-25) and this one guy, about 35, who is a solid 7.5. Well, I only know of that one guy; there may be others. He was going pro when he was told he's too short to compete in big tourneys... What a waste of talent! By the way, he's about 5'5".

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 09:24 PM
Close to LA in a little city called Moorpark. There's a few 4.5 adults and about a couple 5.5s in school age (14-25) and this one guy, about 35, who is a solid 7.5. Well, I only know of that one guy; there may be others. He was going pro when he was told he's too short to compete in big tourneys... What a waste of talent! By the way, he's about 5'5".

thanks raketto, appreciate your input:)

saram
02-23-2009, 09:36 PM
saram what do you play if you dont mind me asking?

That is a tough answer, actually. I hit and play with D1 college players and some former 7.0's from time to time. The ONLY rankings that I have are with 4.0-4.5 players in USTA. I am a former 4.5 singles state champion. I love tennis and therefore play on any league available. There is no 4.5 or 5.0 league around me currently so I don't know what I will do.

I don't play any individual tournaments outside of state championships. I play all mixed and combo which absolutely sucks--but it is the only tennis around me.

I play open tournaments against D1 players and usually make the quarters--although those tournaments are not USTA sanctioned tournaments--they are A,B,C and I play A. I have played several D1 players this year in singles who play #1 through #3 singles. I lose to the top two players usually 6-4 or 8-5. I have beaten the #3 players 6-4 each of the four matches played.

I have beaten every high-school and junior player in three counties for the last two years to the tune of 2 and 2. Every #1 seeded high-school player I have beaten has gotten a scholarship of some kind in regard to tennis in the last year.

I can't give you a valid answer. My USTA rating is 4.5. The people that beat us at state last year are all now 5.0's outside of two players that didn't play in state. I only played one match and somewhat went down with the team in ratings in USTA.

I wish I could offer more--but I cannot.

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Yeah i understand Im still getting used to this whole rating thing myself, your explanation more than answered my question, you seem like very accomplished player

thanks bro

tears_of_awesom
02-23-2009, 09:54 PM

a solid 7.5 eh!?!

hahahahahaa

saram
02-23-2009, 10:05 PM
a solid 7.5 eh!?!

hahahahahaa

I thought that 7.5 was odd myself.

MegacedU
02-23-2009, 10:08 PM
USTA that is, I'm new to his USTA stuff but i notice my area only gets up to 4.0 looking to see what areas in the U.S are more competitive

thanks

I think it depends a lot on where you play too. All the really good players in my area play at one particular club. Maybe you haven't found that club yet.

saram
02-23-2009, 10:10 PM
Yeah i understand Im still getting used to this whole rating thing myself, your explanation more than answered my question, you seem like very accomplished player

thanks bro

You know, I thought I was pretty damn good and then I played a former top 20 player in the world from around 15 years ago. I was awakened. I now hit with a guy that was on the pro tour a few years ago and he's pretty impressive. I can hang with him and puke or lose 6-2. I almost hang with him and nearly puke and still lose 6-3. He was never a big-time pro though....only successful at the challenger level.

saram
02-23-2009, 10:11 PM
I think it depends a lot on where you play too. All the really good players in my area play at one particular club. Maybe you haven't found that club yet.

Oh snap, I have to get on messenger, don't I? :) Hello, sexy :)

saram
02-23-2009, 10:19 PM
^^sorry guys...just a freak of nature. Consider it Ferrer meets Kournikova..

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 10:20 PM
Oh snap, I have to get on messenger, don't I? :) Hello, sexy :)

Hahaha, thought you were talking to me, thats like fighting words right there:)

saram
02-23-2009, 10:21 PM
Hahaha, thought you were talking to me, thats like fighting words right there:)

Sorry bro--not calling you sexy :)

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Robredo's playing well, hope he wins acapulco. i really like his backhand

saram
02-23-2009, 10:30 PM
Robredo's playing well, hope he wins acapulco. i really like his backhand

You're right. And I just love 1HBH's of anyone good. Still working on mine. Ferrer is also looking good in Dubai.

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 10:40 PM
Tough game against Ljubi, I would like to see Ljubi make it far in a tourney just not at the cost of my boy ferrer:) Yea i have a pretty good one hander, ima lefty so i use it alot, Its funny how people think I hate on Nadal but ima lefty from spain so why would i hate

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 10:45 PM
That Safin Gasquet match is going to fire, might have to get up for that

saram
02-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Tough game against Ljubi, I would like to see Ljubi make it far in a tourney just not at the cost of my boy ferrer:) Yea i have a pretty good one hander, ima lefty so i use it alot, Its funny how people think I hate on Nadal but ima lefty from spain so why would i hate

And you have Gasquet in your avatar--that is EPIC!

saram
02-23-2009, 10:46 PM
That Safin Gasquet match is going to fire, might have to get up for that

I think that comes on in three hours here...crap. have to check the feeds...could be epic.

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 10:49 PM
Simon plays first so we have like 5 hours, its on channelsurfing, its gonna be awesome

goober
02-23-2009, 10:51 PM

thanks
Even though 4.0 maybe the highest NTRP in your area for tournaments or leagues, I bet there are probably open level events as well as college players around. But I think the way you are posting the question and section you are posting in you are probably more interested in adult club level tennis.

I think a better indication of how strong an area is for adult recreational tennis is # of active players at each NTRP level, participation level in tournaments and # of teams. Two USTA sections that both have 4.5 as their top NTRP level can have vastly different levels of participation. This will greatly influence how competitive you perceive the area to be for tennis.

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 10:51 PM
And you have Gasquet in your avatar--that is EPIC!

what can i say, i appreciate what he does with the backhand, if he had verdascos forehand he'd be unstoppable

MegacedU
02-23-2009, 10:52 PM
Ya know who's in my avatar?!

ESP#1
02-23-2009, 10:54 PM
Even though 4.0 maybe the highest NTRP in your area for tournaments or leagues, I bet there are probably open level events as well as college players around. But I think the way you are posting the question and section you are posting in you are probably more interested in adult club level tennis.

I think a better indication of how strong an area is for adult recreational tennis is # of active players at each NTRP level, participation level in tournaments and # of teams. Two USTA sections that both have 4.5 as their top NTRP level can have vastly different levels of participation. This will greatly influence how competitive you perceive the area to be for tennis.

thanks for the input, ill have to check it out

saram
02-23-2009, 11:12 PM

Shoot, did you come here to keep me from flirting? We're chatting, aren't we? Probably only YOU will understand this reply. :)

saram
02-23-2009, 11:13 PM

Didn't I just compare you to her?

saram
02-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Again, sorry guys....girl takes over the thoughts of a workhorse....and does it with grace :)

MegacedU
02-23-2009, 11:17 PM
You're a charmer, my friend. ;)

saram
02-23-2009, 11:50 PM
You're a charmer, my friend. ;)

Hey, I'm trying my ***** off, ok? I have your phone number, messenger, and know when you are on vacation and where....what else do I need to do?

You have been my Valentine for over a year here.....am I yours? :twisted:

MegacedU
02-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Of course, how does that Martina McBride song go? Serenade me!

woodrow1029
02-24-2009, 08:47 AM
Berkeley.
UC Berkeley team practices on all the local courts, since Helman is closed for renovate/earthquake proofing.
Were you at the Cal vs. Stanford match the other day?

LeeD
02-24-2009, 09:26 AM
Sorry, no.
Seems with all this rain, I'd rather play than watch.
Cal's doubles team practiced at RoseGarden on Sat. mid day.
Today is clear and drying out, maybe SanPablo courts. Saw some Cal singles players hitting there a couple weeks ago.

drakulie
02-24-2009, 09:37 AM
Berkeley.

Where I live people jump really high. Probably around the 5.5 level. Girls however only jump around the 3.5 level. :roll:

ESP#1
02-24-2009, 10:45 AM
Where I live people jump really high. Probably around the 5.5 level. Girls however only jump around the 3.5 level. :roll:

Sounds like a great area for tennis, alot of singles tournaments? or is it mostly dubs

woodrow1029
02-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Berkeley.
Are you saying that the Cal men's team plays at the 5.5 level in singles and 5.0 in doubles?

Kaptain Karl
02-24-2009, 04:12 PM
It's over 6,200 ft. here. I've played as high as 9,200 though.

If you realize 2,000 ft is the threshold for High Altitude balls, we should have Triple High Altitude balls here. (We don't. Big serves are even BIGGER. Shots that would be ON the baseline at Sea Level ... hit the middle of the back fence. Welcome to altitude.)

- KK

bad_call
02-24-2009, 05:19 PM

If you realize 2,000 ft is the threshold for High Altitude balls, we should have Triple High Altitude balls here. (We don't. Big serves are even BIGGER. Shots that would be ON the baseline at Sea Level ... hit the middle of the back fence. Welcome to altitude.)

- KK

easier to high jump at that altitude as well?

LeeD
02-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Woodrow....
They'd be AROUND ......
You know, they're OK, not satelite qualifying material every event.
And the doubles is the guys who didn't make singles, so not quite as good.
I hit with #2 for Harvard couple months ago. He's good. But he says he's 5.5.
Former #ONE for CalPoly (4 years ago) plays with us sometimes, and he's not quite as consistent, but hits much harder at 6'5" and 230 lbs.
Couple of USTA NorCal Open Men's sometimes drop by, and seem stronger, but can't tell until I hit with the Cal team guys.
Why, can you rate Div1 college playing levels?

JavierLW
02-24-2009, 05:47 PM
I live in some metro area of almost 2 million people in the Mid_West. The highest level is 5.0. (assuming you're talking about USTA league)

mikeler
02-24-2009, 05:50 PM
bad_call can back me up on this, but a club here in downtown Orlando has probably 30 or so 4.5-5.0 players that regularly play there. Probably due to the facility having mostly clay courts and its central location.

Crusher10s
02-24-2009, 06:52 PM
^^^I can back that up and the reason is because of an unusually high concentration of advanced players.

ESP#1
02-24-2009, 07:12 PM
bad_call can back me up on this, but a club here in downtown Orlando has probably 30 or so 4.5-5.0 players that regularly play there. Probably due to the facility having mostly clay courts and its central location.

thats pretty awesome, yea i heard orlando had a big tennis scene back in the late 70's early 80's i guess it never really went away, florida just seems like the place to be, maybe socal also

mikeler
02-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Another cool thing about the club I play at is the pickup matches. Especially on weekend mornings, many people just show up and ask around for people to play. I don't normally do that, but at times when I can't find a match, I've never had a problem finding at least a doubles match and many times a singles match. All for $195/year to play on clay. I have to think for the total package, that is going to be tough to beat.

ESP#1
02-24-2009, 07:23 PM
195? you mean 1950, right?

bad_call
02-24-2009, 08:35 PM

i used to be a member when i lived near downtown. rates are good if a city resident. sometimes see a few aged familiar faces.

woodrow1029
02-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Woodrow....
They'd be AROUND ......
You know, they're OK, not satelite qualifying material every event.
And the doubles is the guys who didn't make singles, so not quite as good.
I hit with #2 for Harvard couple months ago. He's good. But he says he's 5.5.
Former #ONE for CalPoly (4 years ago) plays with us sometimes, and he's not quite as consistent, but hits much harder at 6'5" and 230 lbs.
Couple of USTA NorCal Open Men's sometimes drop by, and seem stronger, but can't tell until I hit with the Cal team guys.
Why, can you rate Div1 college playing levels?
Lee, as I believe Javier said before, you REALLY need to have someone proofread your posts. How you can say that doubles is for the guys that can't play singles at Cal, I don't know when Zerbini, Dahan, Katsarov, Stewart and Heavey all play singles and doubles. The only guy playing doubles only is Chizever at #1 who is a very good doubles player. Put these guys against the average doubles 5.0 team or 5.5 singles player, and it wouldn't really be close. Sometimes, I think that you make these comments just to get the attention you want. Either that, or you are really disturbed.

mikeler
02-25-2009, 05:14 AM
195? you mean 1950, right?

$195 is the rate for city residents. I think it is $250 if you live outside the city. As you probably figured out, it is a city facility not a private one. The clay courts are decent, but there are nicer clay courts in the area. For the price it can't be beat. I think Veterans are allowed to play for free.

ESP#1
02-25-2009, 08:47 AM
$195 is the rate for city residents. I think it is $250 if you live outside the city. As you probably figured out, it is a city facility not a private one. The clay courts are decent, but there are nicer clay courts in the area. For the price it can't be beat. I think Veterans are allowed to play for free.

How many courts? Is it first come or do you make reservations? Sounds pretty cool, whats it called?

LeeD
02-25-2009, 09:03 AM
Woodrow, don't get all dandered up and flustered....relax.
I said AROUND.... can't tell just by watching them hit.
And yes, some singles guys do play doubles, but they also have a lower level doubles team.
You seem to really think Cal's team is good.
I get to hit with adult, OPEN players sometimes, and they're better, IMHO.
I don't keep up with current results of college tennis, so maybe Cal's team is great, I don't know. But watching the lower singles guys, they don't seem all that great.

woodrow1029
02-25-2009, 09:15 AM
Woodrow, don't get all dandered up and flustered....relax.
I said AROUND.... can't tell just by watching them hit.
And yes, some singles guys do play doubles, but they also have a lower level doubles team.
You seem to really think Cal's team is good.
I get to hit with adult, OPEN players sometimes, and they're better, IMHO.
I don't keep up with current results of college tennis, so maybe Cal's team is great, I don't know. But watching the lower singles guys, they don't seem all that great.
Lee, the Cal men's team is #23 in the country. It's not that I personally think they are going to win NCAA's or any of them are going to go on to be top pros. But you are just wrong. AGAIN. I don't even know why I get such a kick out of reading your constant dribble.

Maybe it just gives me something to laugh about when Im at work.

LeeD
02-25-2009, 09:21 AM
You get your jollies reading my dribble because you know I"m an old fart with old fart knowledge, from 30 odd years ago.
"Once upon a time", MikeCahill from USC was the #ONE college player in the nation. A year later, like '78, he and I practiced maybe 10 times at the local GGPk courts, him staying with his sister in Oakland. Now he never made anything of his pro career, but we reminesced about our serparate but converging paths to pro qualifer tournaments. Lotsa OLD insight to the trials and tribulations of COACHED tennis thru ages 7 - 22.

drakulie
02-25-2009, 09:22 AM
I don't even know why I get such a kick out of reading your constant dribble.

Maybe it just gives me something to laugh about when Im at work.

This is exactly how I feel. His posts are so over the top, it's hard not to laugh at. I'm still laughing about him rating an ex-pro 3.5, and saying "women don't like to jump". LOL

mikeler
02-25-2009, 09:54 AM
How many courts? Is it first come or do you make reservations? Sounds pretty cool, whats it called?

Just curious, what NTRP level player are you?

Orlando Tennis Center has 11 clay courts and 5 hard courts. You can make reservations for the next day starting at 10 AM. Friday at 10 AM I thank goodness my phone has a very fast redial function because it is competitive getting a mid-morning court on Saturday. Getting courts after work during the week is not quite as hard. There are many times you can just walk in and pay $5 if you are a member and not have a problem getting a court. Fridays are free for everybody. Check out the link below for more info. The guy on the left is one of the many 5.0s I play down there.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/fpr/net/t_ParkRec.aspx?Park=287_3

LeeD
02-25-2009, 10:39 AM
Draks...
I don't recall rating a PRO player as 3.5. Can you refresh me?
Oh... Jankovic, Ivanovic, Davenport, Everts, Dementieva, Sharapova, Bartoli, all real impalas, aren't they? They might run faster and quicker than YOU, but to me, they are skinny giraffes on the tennis court.
Yes, they hit really hard and consistent. We're talking MOVEMENT!

drakulie
02-25-2009, 10:45 AM
Draks...
I don't recall rating a PRO player as 3.5. Can you refresh me?

It wouldn't really help, as it seems you have a hard enough time remembering events in your own life. Who was that pro you played with back in your youth?? Suzanne Lenglen???

woodrow1029
02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Woody....
The SAP is a tiny tournament, just like the old TranAmerica. They barely get 10 out of the top 50 players.
And for qualifying, consider the BayArea is NOT the tennis capital of the nation. Lots of areas, like SoCal, Virginia, Florida, Texas, even Colorado, has equal or much better tennis players.
If you can't make it in a low level tennis area like the BayArea, you just might never make it anywhere.
As for the local Cal and Stanford team players.... they are just starting their season, and need to play the college tour, not waste time entering this particular SAP.
The fact that the SAP gets any top 50 players totally makes your statement stupid that it is a tiny tournament. You have no clue about any of this stuff. You don't know what you are talking about and are completely wrong. You make it sound like the SAP Open is a futures.

raiden031
02-25-2009, 12:45 PM
I live in Maryland and my area only goes up to 4.5, but some surrounding areas go as high as 5.0.

SlapShot
02-25-2009, 12:49 PM
In MN, we have leagues up to 5.0, and 5.0 is populated by 5.0+ players (some very good DI college players and other 5.5 level players hang out in 5.0 league).

saram
02-25-2009, 03:19 PM

- KK

That's pretty cool :)

ESP#1
02-25-2009, 06:57 PM
Just curious, what NTRP level player are you?

Orlando Tennis Center has 11 clay courts and 5 hard courts. You can make reservations for the next day starting at 10 AM. Friday at 10 AM I thank goodness my phone has a very fast redial function because it is competitive getting a mid-morning court on Saturday. Getting courts after work during the week is not quite as hard. There are many times you can just walk in and pay $5 if you are a member and not have a problem getting a court. Fridays are free for everybody. Check out the link below for more info. The guy on the left is one of the many 5.0s I play down there.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/fpr/net/t_ParkRec.aspx?Park=287_3

I'm new to usta, but i had a local pro rate me and he told me i'm a solid 4.0 but considering i'm just picking the game back up, i might out grow 4.0 soon, then again i might get stomped and stay at this level for a while, i guess well see,

whats your ntrp if you dont mind me asking?

thanks for the info btw

LeeD
02-25-2009, 07:12 PM
How good were you before you stopped playing tennis for a while?
That old level would be higher than you are now.
If you didn't play any tournaments, you are 3.5 AT BEST now.
I played A and Open tournaments, some ProQualifiers, and claim 4.0 for myself now. Meaning, I can beat most 4.0's almost anytime.

dennis10is
02-25-2009, 08:04 PM
I live on Long Island. The absolute highest level of tennis here is 2.0 plus.

I'm proud to say that I have achieve this exalted level of play. Some of our best juniors have achieved 1.5 plus. This should give you an idea of how agile, mobile, virile I am as a tennis player. Tru Dat!

I served in the Great War but I'm still a HOT, HOT octagenarian. I wear low hip hugger jeans with my boxers showing, oh say what? Dat right, I don't wear undies, wink, wink. The ladies love to stare at my bootie crack.. Instead of dentures, I have my diamond studded GRILLZ!

You think Federer or Nadal are good? Well, I know 100 year old park player on the island who can hit harder, with more RPM than those guys, and they use wooden rackets and continental grips.

I'm going back to community college to complete my AA. Those junior college girls are HOT! HOT! I flash them my GRILLZ and they go Mad Crazy.

So, what is your party scene like where you are?

Have you tried mixing Ensure with Red Bull?

nickarnold2000
02-25-2009, 08:06 PM
a solid 7.5 eh!?!

hahahahahaa
Just a little better than Fed and Nadal!

ESP#1
02-25-2009, 08:06 PM
How good were you before you stopped playing tennis for a while?
That old level would be higher than you are now.
If you didn't play any tournaments, you are 3.5 AT BEST now.
I played A and Open tournaments, some ProQualifiers, and claim 4.0 for myself now. Meaning, I can beat most 4.0's almost anytime.

Maybe your right, but ima lefty who can mix up my serve and its pretty heavy, i can hit winners from both wings and place it where i want, i keep the slice low, volleys are pretty solid, i can hit crosscourt forehands all day so i think i should be ok, if im in over my head then so be it, ill deal with it

dennis10is
02-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Just a little better than Fed and Nadal!

So you are a benchmark 2.0.

Not bad. I self-taught myself and after 6 months I was playing at the same level. Of course, it took me 1 year to get that good with my non-dominant hand.

Slicendicer
02-26-2009, 02:25 AM
Mobile, AL 4.5

mikeler
02-26-2009, 05:38 AM
I'm new to usta, but i had a local pro rate me and he told me i'm a solid 4.0 but considering i'm just picking the game back up, i might out grow 4.0 soon, then again i might get stomped and stay at this level for a while, i guess well see,

whats your ntrp if you dont mind me asking?

thanks for the info btw

When I got back into tennis 5 years ago, I was probably somewhere between 4.0 and 4.5. Once I got into shape and got strong enough to hit my 1 handed backhand again (which took a year), I was a strong 4.5 because I was usually #1 or #2 in all the 4.5 leagues I played. The last 2 years, I've been playing mostly 5.0s and have upgraded all my tennis equipment so now I'd say I'm a 5.0.

Just so LeeD doesn't down rate me, here is my justification. I don't think you have to beat everybody in your NTRP to say that you are a certain NTRP. You should win half the time and lose half the time against opponents of the same NTRP.

I play a few guys ranked in the top 10 of the 5.0s here in Florida and I beat them more than they beat me. I also play a guy regularly who used to be #1 in the 4.5s in Florida and he rarely beats me.

ESP#1
02-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Sounds like we have some serious players on these threads, hearing all this makes me want to improve even more, i seem to be mistiming the backhand as of late so ive been relaying on my slice alot, not something you want to get in the habit of doing

LeeD
02-26-2009, 09:52 AM
I"ve been reading your posts for at least a month now, and I would never rate you below 4.5.
We might not agree on everything, I might seem like a fuzzy old fart, but everything you say usually makes sense for someone sometime
Yes, I disagree with lots of 5.5 and some better players. Possibly either one of us or both of us don't know everything. Some of us can't see or comprehend. Some of us add our own thoughts to the equation. But it's pretty easy to read a post, and know the person writing it knows a bit about tennis.

mikeler
02-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Sounds like we have some serious players on these threads, hearing all this makes me want to improve even more, i seem to be mistiming the backhand as of late so ive been relaying on my slice alot, not something you want to get in the habit of doing

The better you get, the more fun the game is. I've actually had the opposite problem lately in that I've gotten so comfortable with my topspin 1 hander, the slice has been floating a little bit too much for my liking lately. I was hitting it pretty good last night though, so hopefully my slice woes are over.

mikeler
02-26-2009, 10:25 AM
I"ve been reading your posts for at least a month now, and I would never rate you below 4.5.
We might not agree on everything, I might seem like a fuzzy old fart, but everything you say usually makes sense for someone sometime
Yes, I disagree with lots of 5.5 and some better players. Possibly either one of us or both of us don't know everything. Some of us can't see or comprehend. Some of us add our own thoughts to the equation. But it's pretty easy to read a post, and know the person writing it knows a bit about tennis.

I can understand why you try and get people to better understand the NTRP ratings. There are quite a few folks at NTRP tourneys that have no business playing in the 4.5 or 5.0 divisions. Either people are just trying to improve or they overrate themselves. I think it is probably a little of both, but I see that on these boards where somebody posts a video of themselves and their rating and I just say "No way!". I have no illusions about having been or ever being a 5.5. I just turned 36, so the physical skills are in decline.

LeeD
02-26-2009, 04:12 PM
You want declining physical skills, try 60 !:shock:
Like about 2/3rd what I had when I was in my '30's.
But maybe I'd like to think I'm a little smarter, a lot grayer, and a lot grumpier.
Oh oh.... two days ago I climbed a 20+ foot chainlink fence and flipped over the top just like when I was 12. Oh, but my hand hurt and I almost fell facing away from the fence after the flip:oops::oops:
At 60, retrieving tennis balls....:)

mikeler
02-27-2009, 05:26 AM
But maybe I'd like to think I'm a little smarter, a lot grayer, and a lot grumpier.
Oh oh.... two days ago I climbed a 20+ foot chainlink fence and flipped over the top just like when I was 12. Oh, but my hand hurt and I almost fell facing away from the fence after the flip:oops::oops:

I won't even climb a fence that tall now! I'm mindful of any potential injuries that can sideline me from tennis.

ESP#1
02-27-2009, 09:37 AM

You almost ended your life for some used tennis balls? would've been the most expensive tennis balls you ever owned in your life

mikeler
02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
You almost ended your life for some used tennis balls? would've been the most expensive tennis balls you ever owned in your life

Exactly! Open up another can Mr. Cheapskate. :)

bad_call
02-27-2009, 10:09 AM
...I play a few guys ranked in the top 10 of the 5.0s here in Florida and I beat them more than they beat me. I also play a guy regularly who used to be #1 in the 4.5s in Florida and he rarely beats me.

who would that be? if he's an old geezer then i may know him.

mikeler
02-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I don't want to post names, but he is upper 30s.

bad_call
02-27-2009, 10:35 AM
I don't want to post names, but he is upper 30s.

upper 30's!!! still a youngster. :) btw - how old is that guy in the pic link u posted...Simone Goring? he looks very familiar.

mikeler
02-27-2009, 11:20 AM
upper 30's!!! still a youngster. :) btw - how old is that guy in the pic link u posted...Simone Goring? he looks very familiar.

Simeon is an OTC legend. He still can play 4.5-5.0 level tennis even though he is getting close to 60.

LeeD
02-27-2009, 06:05 PM
Wait a minute...
Didn't you guys, as 12-14 years olds, climb cyclone fences, flip over the top, face away from the fence of the new side, and side down with your fingers gripping backwards and skipping down the fence till you're feet are 6' from the ground, then jump to the ground?
I did, and one of the fences was a 40'er at UlloaGrammarSchool, 39th and Vicente in SanFrancisco. The decending technique took some practice, as you gripped and released a couple times over until you were close enough to the ground to jump.
Ah, the joys of being young.....:confused::confused:

JavierLW
02-27-2009, 06:21 PM
Wait a minute...
Didn't you guys, as 12-14 years olds, climb cyclone fences, flip over the top, face away from the fence of the new side, and side down with your fingers gripping backwards and skipping down the fence till you're feet are 6' from the ground, then jump to the ground?
I did, and one of the fences was a 40'er at UlloaGrammarSchool, 39th and Vicente in SanFrancisco. The decending technique took some practice, as you gripped and released a couple times over until you were close enough to the ground to jump.
Ah, the joys of being young.....:confused::confused:

Nope but I saw a guy have to climb a fence because he threw his racquet and the handle got stuck on the top somehow.

LeeD
02-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Wow, you guys missed out on some fun times.
We used to play in the civil defence bunkers, climbing and jumping down from above the cannon mounts, easily 12' or more, to roll on the landing and pretend we were cool.
We'd crab walk up the sides, the 12" cannons having a 20' cavern for them to retract into. Climbed up to upside down, then swinging on the metal pegs that were used to camo the setup, we'd swing our feet to the other side of the arch and climb back down.
Kids will be kids.

JavierLW
02-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Wow, you guys missed out on some fun times.
We used to play in the civil defence bunkers, climbing and jumping down from above the cannon mounts, easily 12' or more, to roll on the landing and pretend we were cool.
We'd crab walk up the sides, the 12" cannons having a 20' cavern for them to retract into. Climbed up to upside down, then swinging on the metal pegs that were used to camo the setup, we'd swing our feet to the other side of the arch and climb back down.
Kids will be kids.

12" cannons? That must of been good for shooting some big rats or something.

mikeler
02-27-2009, 07:01 PM
I climbed fences all the time when I was young. The key word being young!

Djokovicfan4life
02-27-2009, 07:03 PM

Highest level: A step above total suckage.

Of course, there's always the OSU tennis team.

LeeD
02-28-2009, 08:08 AM
Location, SanFranciscoCalif....
The coastal defense cannons were for WW11, the guns located about 200' above the beach, can see about 20 miles out to sea in median tides....so they HAD to shoot and sink enemy (Japan's) ships at that range. Japanese's Yamato had 20" cannons, and was bigger than the Germany's Bismarck and her sister ship.
I don't know if you guys were around then, but back around mid '70's, there was a TV show based on stuff we did as kids, climbing, jumping, rappelling, and generally being stupid around those coastal defence installations.. NOT saying WE started it, by the time I stopped (for school sports), other guys got into it really heavy.

JavierLW
02-28-2009, 10:46 AM
Location, SanFranciscoCalif....
The coastal defense cannons were for WW11, the guns located about 200' above the beach, can see about 20 miles out to sea in median tides....so they HAD to shoot and sink enemy (Japan's) ships at that range. Japanese's Yamato had 20" cannons, and was bigger than the Germany's Bismarck and her sister ship.
I don't know if you guys were around then, but back around mid '70's, there was a TV show based on stuff we did as kids, climbing, jumping, rappelling, and generally being stupid around those coastal defence installations.. NOT saying WE started it, by the time I stopped (for school sports), other guys got into it really heavy.

The Bismark was smaller then 20"????

Wow, that must of been good so the German's could defend against a sudden onslaught of brine shrimp or something.

LeeD
02-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Wow, you ALMOST can read and comprehend.....
Bismark and her sister ship used 18" cannons.
Yamato used 20's.
Yamato was also longer, wider, and WHEN fully loaded, was heavier. Yamato had more fuel storage, and more ammo storage.
Read your history books.

thundaga
02-28-2009, 06:20 PM
I live in Melbourne and we have this tournament called the "Australian Open" which comes around at the start of every year. Attracts a few big international names apparently.

Blade0324
03-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Denver, CO and we have the bulk of players at 4.5 or below but there is a good group at 5.0 for league and tourneys as well as a pretty big group of open players. We recently had a Valentines tourney with a 4.0 men's singles draw with first round of 128 and the 5.0 men's singles was a round of 32.

ESP#1
03-05-2009, 12:28 AM
I think tennis is growing as of late, wouldnt be surprised to see a bunch of new 4.5 players coming up soon

mikeler
03-05-2009, 05:40 AM
Denver, CO and we have the bulk of players at 4.5 or below but there is a good group at 5.0 for league and tourneys as well as a pretty big group of open players. We recently had a Valentines tourney with a 4.0 men's singles draw with first round of 128 and the 5.0 men's singles was a round of 32.

The 5.0 tournaments around here rarely draw more than an 8 man draw. The Open tournaments here sometimes go up to a 128 man draw but with lots of byes.

jbetti
03-06-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm living in Idaho Falls - most leagues and tournaments top out at 4.0, then they go to open. The top 4.0's around here would definitely be 4.5's in some other places I've been though. It seems the guys are afraid to get bumped past 4.0 because there isn't a good selection of players beyond that level to play with. There's a handful of 4.5's and a handful of 5.0 players, but some of the best players don't really play much anymore.

I used to live in Syracuse, NY, and the club there had leagues up through 4.5. There were a few 5.0's (or higher I guess, I've never seen a place that had enough people to be able to decipher between 5.0 and anything beyond that).