PDA

View Full Version : Strings that don't notch?

corners
02-23-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm looking for strings that don't notch, or notch very minimally, to use as mains.

I'm interested in synguts/multis/guts mostly, but would like to hear about any copolys that are notably/famously notch-proof as well.

meowmix
02-23-2009, 04:57 PM
In the 3 weeks I had Wilson hollowcore in my mains, they did not notch- at all. However, whether or not you'll like hollowcore.... that remains to be seen.

thundaga
02-23-2009, 06:46 PM
all strings are going to notch, polys will notch the least

pfchang
02-23-2009, 07:21 PM
supposedly the Prince Recoil String doesn't notch?

But it costs as much as gut, and i think it's a synthetic.

SchreckTennis
02-23-2009, 08:08 PM
I've been playing with Recoil for over a month now and have been trying the string as much as I can on notching / breaking- even unnecessarily adjusting the strings back and forth (it's almost become a nervous twitch now). Still no signs of notching at all, but note that I do play with Recoil on both mains and crosses. If you search on the Bay, you can get it for approx $15 a set or less if you buy in bulk. It feels kinda like a multifilament, so I wouldn't get it if you don't like m-fils.

corners
02-25-2009, 05:40 PM
In the 3 weeks I had Wilson hollowcore in my mains, they did not notch- at all. However, whether or not you'll like hollowcore.... that remains to be seen.

Was that a full setup or hybrid? If hybrid, what was your cross?

Thanx

corners
02-25-2009, 05:43 PM
I've been playing with Recoil for over a month now and have been trying the string as much as I can on notching / breaking- even unnecessarily adjusting the strings back and forth (it's almost become a nervous twitch now). Still no signs of notching at all, but note that I do play with Recoil on both mains and crosses. If you search on the Bay, you can get it for approx $15 a set or less if you buy in bulk. It feels kinda like a multifilament, so I wouldn't get it if you don't like m-fils.

Thanks. Do you have a sense for whether Recoil's notch-resistance could be attributed to its slipperiness, hardness, or both? I assume that since it's a multi it's a lot softer than a poly, and since polys will notch Recoil must be slicker than polys, so less friction = less notching. What do you think?

SchreckTennis
02-25-2009, 06:43 PM
Thanks. Do you have a sense for whether Recoil's notch-resistance could be attributed to its slipperiness, hardness, or both? I assume that since it's a multi it's a lot softer than a poly, and since polys will notch Recoil must be slicker than polys, so less friction = less notching. What do you think?

Yes, from personal experience I believe Recoil is "slicker" than a poly, but only with Recoil in mains and crosses. Otherwise I would guess that Recoil would notch when rubbing against another string. I would definately say the slipperiness of the string is the major factor- it's not really a hard string in my opinion as I cause very slight fraying just by putting the string through the crank on my drop-weight stringer. No real evidence behind any of this other than my guess as to what makes Recoil not notch (at least in my personal experience).

I also feel Recoil retains tension very well and feels to me puts additional spin on the ball even when not attempting to get much topspin. This is personal opinion.

meowmix
02-25-2009, 06:43 PM
I had hollowcore in the mains and syn gut in the crosses (just cheap generic syn gut)

corners
02-26-2009, 04:11 AM
Thanks a bunch guys.

SOY78
02-26-2009, 06:39 AM
I've been playing Pro Supex Big Ace 1.22 and it hasn't notched at all. I play with a little topspin but most of my shots are flat.

mikeler
02-26-2009, 06:48 AM
I just started playing with a Pro Supex Big Ace 16/PSGD 16 hybrid. I hit with a lot of spin and after 5 matches, the Pro Supex showed very little notching. The PSGD was fraying, so I restrung it last weekend.

charliefedererer
03-05-2009, 12:23 PM
All strings will notch to some extent. It wasn't until I started doing my own stringing that I could see how deep these notches routinely were, as I took off the old string. I started using the Babolat string savers to prolong the life of the strings. I used to consider gut too expensive. But using Babolat string savers, I now get great life out of Klip Armour Pro Gut 16 either as the sole string or as a hybrid with a polyester (I like Big Banger Alu Power Rough.). Besides longevity, the other benefit of the string savers is that the strings hardly move, which should increase accuracy in a long topspin rally.

Caloi
03-05-2009, 12:47 PM
While enjoying this sport for roughly 17 years it's been only in the last 3 years that I started taking it very seriously. I bought my stringer last year, an X-2, and Gamma through in a bunch of strings to try. I started with the cheapest strings and have worked my way up to the more expensive strings. I have used the Asterisk 16 string for 6 hitting sessions and just today noticed some string movement and notching. It has been by far my favorite of the strings I've used. Again, I'm still learning a lot about tennis and especially strings, but figured I'd though that out there. With the cheaper strings I found myself restringing about every 3rd hit. This has gone 6 and I'll play them again.