PDA

View Full Version : Looking to switch

nextNalbandian
03-02-2005, 06:36 AM
I'm a competitive 15 year old junior counterpuncher who's game is pretty much a direct reflection of Brad Gilbert's "Winning Ugly". I'm currently sponsored by Volkl and use the Quantum V1 MP. I now have to string it at 69 to get the control I need. But I like the weight, feel, Manuverability, and headsize but I think I need to switch because stringing them that tight is starting to wear on them. I'm already on my 2nd set of 3 sticks. Any ideas? Please post.

tennisnj
03-02-2005, 06:47 AM
NextNalbandian, you & I have quite a few similarities. Except I'm 29 LOL. But, I too am a Brad Gilbert "Winning Ugly" type of counterpuncher. I also am sponsored by Volkl & I use the QV1 OS, which of course has been discontinued for years. I have the same problem you do. I've tried countless newer Volkl frames & none of them meet the specs or need of my game. I am very interested in what people have to recommend for you, b/c going down in headsize might be my only option if I want to stay w/Volkl.

mverdugo
03-02-2005, 08:48 AM
If either of you are willing to switch from Volkl, you may want to consider Yonex VCON 17 which is made in MP and OS. It is a bit lighter than the V1 but I found it to be a nice stick for a tweener. Excellent at the net, good access to spin w/ 16x18 string pattern, fairly even balance (tad head heavy-don't know much about customization), good accuracy on serve. Light but plays more like a players racquet in that swinging out is rewarded. I've seen many a 4.5 player who use tweener weights go to this racquet. If you are staying with Volkl, you may want to consider Tour 8 S.E. Hope this helps.

Proud Pusher
03-02-2005, 09:31 AM
That's funny, I win uglier than anyone I know and use the same frame as Next Nalbandian and tennisnj! However, I am almost twice your age tennisnj!

Actually I use the Quantum V1 102 and am looking to find some Oversize models floating out there somewhere. I'm looking for a larger hitting surface and a little more pop.

As for nextnalbandian, have you considered the Tour 7, they are darn near giving them away and they seem to spec out very close except lower in power which seems to be what you need??

Ken

tennisnj
03-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Proud Pusher, glad to see that there are other players out here who win ugly. Let me know how you make out w/your oversize search, even if it's not a Volkl model you settle on. I've demoed & own a Tour 7, it does nothing for my game no matter what set up I tinker with. Doesn't have enough power, way too much control, & nothing in the spin department.

tennisnj
03-02-2005, 09:47 AM
Thanks for the advice Mverdugo, I'm going to further investigate the V-Con 17. I've tried the Tour 8 S.E., & frankly I need a 107-110 sq in racquet head to maximize my ability (or lack there of). I'm a 5.0+ who needs a larger head racquet to get the most out of my game.

Proud Pusher
03-02-2005, 09:48 AM
Good hearing from you tennisnj. I was able to pick up a new O.S. on ****, still waiting for delivery. However, would still like a couple more.

How do you think the Babolat Pure Drive O.S. would stack up against the Quantum V1 O.S.??

Ken

tennisnj
03-02-2005, 09:54 AM
I'm anti-**** lol, or I'd not be in this predicament regarding the Quantum V1 OS. Plus I have a very small grip size which makes it even more difficult. I've hit quite a few times w/the Pure Drive OS, no comparison in my opinion FOR MY GAME. Now I exclaim that because as I post this, the pro-Pure Drivers will brag about how great the racquet it, etc., etc., & I'm sure it is, but not for someone who uses has our 'type of game' & uses the Quantum V1 OS. Not enough power, not enough control, & much too stiff for my liking (regardless of what its stiffness is in comparsion). It did NOTHING for me.

Proud Pusher
03-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the info tennisnj. Think I will just keep searching for some more V1 O.S. I am surprised that you are using this stick as a 5.0plus??

I guess I just associate this frame with 3.5 - 4.0 hackers like me!

tennisnj
03-02-2005, 10:25 AM
I don't believe in any of the "player's racquet for real players" mumbo jumbo that pervades this message board. I play with what feels comfortable & maximizes my ability. I'll try anything a few times, & that is made easier by my job as an instructor & connections w/a local racquet shop. I used to play w/a Prince TT Bandit OS & that certainly isn't a "player's racquet" according to the 'experts' on here.