PDA

View Full Version : Pulling both mains to start = trouble

Mazilla2219
02-23-2009, 06:59 PM
I have watch YUlitle's video regarding pulling both mains at the same time and then clamping one off to start mains, but I have a really hard time doing this with my wise tensioner. Most of the time only one of the mains catches which leaves me with the other floating freely. I have tried sticking both between a folding business card and this works 5/10 times but it get frustrating when you have to pull those mains over and over.
Question: Is there another way of doing this. I know that this is done to keep the tension in the clamp but I was thinking could you use a starting clamp on the other main and pull the other one and get the same effect?
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

DizBoiDanny
02-23-2009, 07:22 PM
This is what i do, I clamp one of the two main that is not tension. And then get the other one that isn't clamped and tension that string. And i do half of the mains, and then tension that string in the beginning that was the first one to clamp, and then move the move the clamp close to the frame, and thats how i start my mains.

Mazilla2219
02-23-2009, 07:43 PM
This is what i do, I clamp one of the two main that is not tension. And then get the other one that isn't clamped and tension that string. And i do half of the mains, and then tension that string in the beginning that was the first one to clamp, and then move the move the clamp close to the frame, and thats how i start my mains.

I do notice when I do this with the starting clamp it marks the string a little, is this detrimental to the strings overall life?

YULitle
02-23-2009, 07:55 PM
What? You do half the mains first, DizBoi? That's not good.

If the method in the video doesn't work for you, use another one. I have a few on my videos.

DizBoiDanny
02-23-2009, 08:28 PM

If the method in the video doesn't work for you, use another one. I have a few on my videos.

as in, I do about... 4 mains on one side, and then I start doing the other side. Making the racquet balance and not putting to much stress on one side of the frame.

YULitle
02-23-2009, 08:32 PM
as in, I do about... 4 mains on one side, and then I start doing the other side. Making the racquet balance and not putting to much stress on one side of the frame.

Technically you should only do at most three more on one side than the other... but four is better than all, for sure.

DizBoiDanny
02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
Technically you should only do at most three more on one side than the other... but four is better than all, for sure.

Alright, thank you for the correction.

Mazilla2219
02-24-2009, 12:20 PM

I have checked out the other videos and it seems like you start all mains (either fixed or fly clamps) by pulling both at once to set tension in one clamp. Here is where my problem lies, sometimes my wise head will catch both mains and the pull will be fine and I can go on to clamp and start stringing the mains, but 5/10 times only 1 of the 2 mains will catch in the tensioning head. I've tried to use a business card with both mains and the same thing will happen, only one main will be pulled while the other is not. This leads to my question of is there an alternative way of starting mains where as you only need to pull one main (i.e. use a starting clamp on the other main out side the frame) to set tension in that clamp and then continuing with stringing as normal. I have done this once and notice that the starting clamp marks up the string quite a bit, is this okay for the string's longevity?

texag01
02-24-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't think it is necessary to pull both mains to start. If you are using a constant pull machine, then doesn't any tension change from slack get corrected anyway. The only other reason to do so would be so that you don't have to manually level the clamp on your first pull. Just my thoughts.

Tombhoneb
02-24-2009, 12:36 PM

A coach i work with gave me a few of his rackets to string (he would normally do them himself but he lent his stringer to someone) and he had already pre thread his mains for me to tighten. BUT. He used a starting knot one side and told me to do it from the far left main to the far right then do the crosses.

I told him all about the stress which is being put on the frame but he said he was 100% sure that it was alright.

Apparently he strings all his customers rackets this way. oops!

locotone07
02-24-2009, 12:48 PM
I have watch YUlitle's video regarding pulling both mains at the same time and then clamping one off to start mains, but I have a really hard time doing this with my wise tensioner. Most of the time only one of the mains catches which leaves me with the other floating freely. I have tried sticking both between a folding business card and this works 5/10 times but it get frustrating when you have to pull those mains over and over.
Question: Is there another way of doing this. I know that this is done to keep the tension in the clamp but I was thinking could you use a starting clamp on the other main and pull the other one and get the same effect?
Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

I've never had a problem pulling both mains like YUlitle's video on my 2086. When placing the strings in the gripper are you making sure that the strings are sitting one on top of the other (vertically) and not crossing each other (hope that makes sense)? Another thing I do immediately after placing the string in the gripper (after making sure they are on top of one another) is 'pull' the gripper a little with my finger, to the right so that they grip the string right away (without giving the strings a chance to cross). Hope that helps...

Mazilla2219
02-24-2009, 01:03 PM
I've never had a problem pulling both mains like YUlitle's video on my 2086. When placing the strings in the gripper are you making sure that the strings are sitting one on top of the other (vertically) and not crossing each other (hope that makes sense)? Another thing I do immediately after placing the string in the gripper (after making sure they are on top of one another) is 'pull' the gripper a little with my finger, to the right so that they grip the string right away (without giving the strings a chance to cross). Hope that helps...

I do try to stack them one on top of another but it seems like the top one is the one that is always not catching. I've also tried pulling the tension head back to catch both string before tensioning, but this only works most of the time. This is esp. with 18 or 18L poly string.

DennisK
02-24-2009, 01:23 PM
I do try to stack them one on top of another but it seems like the top one is the one that is always not catching. I've also tried pulling the tension head back to catch both string before tensioning, but this only works most of the time. This is esp. with 18 or 18L poly string.

The only reason I can think that one of the mains is slipping out, is that the plates on your string tensioner are not totally vertically parallel with each other, with the bottom being narrower than the top.

So when you come to tension both strings at once, the bottom string is gripped, but the top string isn't and slips loose.

Raiha
02-24-2009, 01:45 PM
A coach i work with gave me a few of his rackets to string (he would normally do them himself but he lent his stringer to someone) and he had already pre thread his mains for me to tighten. BUT. He used a starting knot one side and told me to do it from the far left main to the far right then do the crosses.

I told him all about the stress which is being put on the frame but he said he was 100% sure that it was alright.

Apparently he strings all his customers rackets this way. oops!

maybe he thinks its ok because two piece stringing allows you to start at the top and work your way to the bottom. however, in that case the mains are already pulled.
starting your mains like this can really warp a frame and if i were you i would seriously question anything this particular coach tells you from now on. if he's done it lots of times it might even be noticeable, lol what shape are those frames now?

Tombhoneb
02-24-2009, 03:23 PM
maybe he thinks its ok because two piece stringing allows you to start at the top and work your way to the bottom. however, in that case the mains are already pulled.
starting your mains like this can really warp a frame and if i were you i would seriously question anything this particular coach tells you from now on. if he's done it lots of times it might even be noticeable, lol what shape are those frames now?

Yeh, he is a very knowledgeable coach ... but stringer ... i don't think so.

I told him about frames losing their shape and he said ' well thats what the mounts are for, they keep the frame the right shape ' .

p.s sorry for going a bit off thread topic.

YULitle
02-24-2009, 03:34 PM
I have checked out the other videos and it seems like you start all mains (either fixed or fly clamps) by pulling both at once to set tension in one clamp.

edit: nvm, saw in, thought on.

Never pull two at once to set tension. That is all.

locotone07
02-24-2009, 06:08 PM

I've done this with 1.10mm poly and didn't have any problems...I think DennisK maybe on to something, perhaps your gripping plates are not perfectly parallel (from top to bottom) to each other. Perhaps you could contact Herb about your problem.

ezylman
02-25-2009, 10:46 AM
I have been stringing off and on since 1992. I stack the first two mains myself and have not ever had a problem with that technique.