PDA

View Full Version : Playtest:The new Pro Staff ROK 98

Mika Pajunen
03-02-2005, 07:07 AM
This new model was released here in Europe a few months ago. Hopefully it is already available in US also. Anyway, there were people here in board who wanted to know how it plays, so here are thoughts,finally. I purchased two of them dreaming that it would be my holy grail. Well, it wasn't. Now after an honeymoon period with this bat I have to admit that I don't have a game for it, even it is very easy players racket to play with. As an comparison to its smaller 93 inch brother,it is more forgiving and powerful. But it's also more headlight (8.8 points vs 4 points). I think rackets balance and maneuverability suits better for players with 1 handed backhand. At least, that how it felt to me. I'm a pure baseliner and struggled to get enough ball speed with my 2 handed backhand, slice was nice though. Here are some + and minuses.

+ Volleys (nice touch and firm feel,also very maneuverable)
+ Forehand (placement and easiness to rib straight winners)
+ stable and solid feel for its weight

- sweetspot forgiveness or its size (if you miss it,net calls)
- Serves (same as above,couldn't serve constantly well)
- you cannot be lazy with this one

Ok, those were my thoughts. Have anyone else hit with this? I will put mine ROKs to classifieds tomorrow if anyone is interested.

louis netman
03-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Do you know the specs on the Rok 98?

joe sch
03-02-2005, 07:22 AM
Why dont you add some lead at 9 & 3 oc ? It will improve the balance and make it more stable and powerful and may just be closer to your holy grail

Mika Pajunen
03-03-2005, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. Joe sch, I tried the lead tape, didn't work for me. I felt that I lost too much maneuverability and accuracy. Anyway, stability and power isn't the power. My game is just too soft with ROK 98,not heavy enough. I have been demoing Prince NXG MP, Volkl Tour 10 MP and nCode 6.1 lately. I still prefer ROK 98 over those. Almost same powerlevel and more predictable string bed and response. Louis netman, here are the specs that I know.

Head size: 98 (more like 96 though)
Strung weight: 11.8 (335 g) haven't measured mine though
Balance: 8.8 points headlight
Beam width: 21 mm (measured today)
Length:69 cm
String Pattern: 18/20
Leather Grip
Flex Rating: not known,very flexy,maybe a bit stiffer than original 60

louis netman
03-03-2005, 07:21 AM
You like the string-bed response better than the T10? I'd be interested in this stick if I had the ability to get more of them at a reasonable price. I actually liked the ROK 93, but it seemed more like a flat-ball hitters stick. The 98 seems right up my alley and although I'm used to a 16x19, I've recently started loving the densely patterned T10 mid what's more, I'm able to use thin gut for reasonable duration. Scalpel city! However, 93" may be too much work for me in the long run... what's your email address:

mine is: michaelm101@cs.com

gmlasam
03-03-2005, 07:23 AM
Mika,

Do you have any pics of that racquet?

Mika Pajunen
03-05-2005, 08:30 AM
Sorry about short reply guys, but I'm in a hurry until Monday. gmsalam,I have some pics. I can mail those for you, contact me paitsio@hotmail.com. loius netman, check your mail.