PDA

View Full Version : Stringforum.net Blindtest String 6

SchreckTennis
02-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I just recieved my set of an unlabled, unbranded new multifilament (1.25) from Germany courtesy of Stringforum.net to review. Unfortunately, we got hit by a snow storm just as it was all melting and it rained today, so most everything will be frozen again by tomarrow. So, I will have to wait a couple weeks at least to playtest it with exception of a few days I can play indoors.

Anyone else going to recieve, already have recieved, or have played with this blindtest string? What do you think of it so far?

lazyeenviet
02-23-2009, 08:29 PM
I always apply for those string tests on the string forum but I never get chosen. What do you usually write for the "Why you should be picked as a playtester" part?

SchreckTennis
02-23-2009, 08:37 PM
I always apply for those string tests on the string forum but I never get chosen. What do you usually write for the "Why you should be picked as a playtester" part?

Just something fairly generic like that "I believe I will provide an unbiased and timely review of the blindtest string compared against PSGD 16g." Mine was a little longer, but something to that effect. The letter Jens sent me with the string said I was chosen (I was one of the last 8-ish chosen) because "... I believe you will provide a reliable and qualified test report within a reasonable time frame...".

It probably also doesn't hurt that I usually write lengthy reviews on the site if I can and always have at least 3 different strings lined up for future testing stated on my profile.

Il Mostro
02-24-2009, 01:37 PM
Pics of #6?

djoko4thewin
02-24-2009, 01:44 PM
i'm probaly completly wrong but is it the new HEAD sonic pro? comes in 1.25, white colour.

Blade0324
02-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Not likely, Sonic Pro from Head is not really that new a sting. I have used it as long ago as a year or more.

SchreckTennis
02-24-2009, 10:30 PM
Pics of #6?

http://i44.tinypic.com/1z491xc.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/mstar.jpg

It's a yellow-ish natural color, but it's hard to see in the second picture because of the flash. Feels very smooth (but not slick) and you can clearly see thick winds in the string if you look close enough [in the top of the second picture], yet I don't feel any bumps at all between the spirals. I plan on stringing it up in the next two days- will post a review when I get the occasion to play with the string (damn the snow!!!).

scotus
02-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Is that Hollow Core?

SchreckTennis
02-25-2009, 04:22 AM
Is that Hollow Core?

Nope- not M2 either. I've got a set of each and it doesn't really look like either. M2's not really got any spirals and Hollowcore's spirals are much, much more visible at a distance as well as smaller in thickness of the wraps.Stringforum (http://www.stringforum.net/blindtest.php) describes it as "(multifilament, 1.25) of a new string (soon on the market)".

SchreckTennis
02-26-2009, 11:01 AM
Just strung the Blind Test String #6 up on my Head FXP Prestige Team at 58/56 lbs in a one piece pattern.

It seemed to have very little stretch when compared to an untensioned piece of string. It was pretty elastic- not stiff like a poly at all. Tying knots was VERY, VERY easy and the surface was neither greasy nor rough- just smooth. It's also very easy to move the strings on the stringbed. Some people say that Recoil has so little coil memory that it's noodle-like compared to synthetic guts, but compared to Recoil this Test String is like a limp noodle- virtually NO coil memory, was a great stringing experience. I wish I had another set just to enjoy stringing it up again. Here's some pics, not the greatest quality:

http://i41.tinypic.com/4jonkj.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/15gdvzd.jpg

siata94
02-26-2009, 02:19 PM
looks/sounds like Maxim Touch 1.25

diredesire
02-26-2009, 02:33 PM
isn't the point of a blind string test to NOT know what the string is, so you can judge it without bias? ;)

SchreckTennis
02-26-2009, 10:15 PM
isn't the point of a blind string test to NOT know what the string is, so you can judge it without bias? ;)

Yes, it is =]. The string has no marks on it to indicate the company that made it at all. And it's supposedly a string that's to come into the market soon- I honestly have no idea what string it is. All I know is that it's a multifilament that's 17 gauge.

Sadly we had another snowstorm here, so I'll have to wait even longer to test it out- I really hope it melts away soon...

From what I felt by simply hitting a tennis ball into the air with it freshly strung, it seems to have quite a bit of power and I'm thinking I probably should have strung it a bit tighter had they not requested me to string at my normal tension for the test... I'll give a review of my tests in the next couple of weeks if anyone is still interested in this thread.

origmarm
02-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Is that a weird effect of the photo or does your racquet have painted on flexpoints?

Orig

Il Mostro
02-27-2009, 06:36 AM
From the pics, the fact that it is made in Germany and the texture description I might have guessed Pro Stock, but the limp noodle description definitely does not fit. Let us know how it plays.

SchreckTennis
02-27-2009, 07:47 AM
Is that a weird effect of the photo or does your racquet have painted on flexpoints?

Orig

Nope, no paintjob there, must just be illusion of flash on camera or something. It's the racquet in my signature.

From the pics, the fact that it is made in Germany and the texture description I might have guessed Pro Stock, but the limp noodle description definitely does not fit. Let us know how it plays.

The string isn't necessarily made in Germany- StringForum.net (http://www.stringforum.net) is based in Germany, so they recieved the strings from possibly somewhere else and sent them around the world from their location in Germany.

william7gr
02-27-2009, 01:04 PM

Orig

Thats what I thought

origmarm
03-02-2009, 02:40 AM
^^^ Shame, thought you had something really special there :)

Good luck with the test, be interesting to see what it is in the end and if you would think different of it blind if that makes sense

SchreckTennis
03-07-2009, 08:39 AM
First experience with the blind test string:

To be honest, I'm disappointed. While I waited for my tennis partner to show up at the courts, I practiced serving to get warmed up. While my serves were a little slower than normal, they had some good spin and I felt very consistant with my serve.

So, after this confidence booster my partner showed up and we rallied for a while. The string just simply were not my kind of strings apparently...

Power/Acceleration: They felt very weak and even my power shots were coming in short and slower than usual which allowed him to be set up for a charge at the net. Not satisfied.

Control/Precision: The strings felt like they had good or adequite control (particularily on serves and volleys), but not really outstanding in this aspect. If anything this was the string's best aspect.

Feel/Feedback: They felt great, but the performace didn't seem to match the feel.

Comfort: They were less stiff than my old Babolat Pro Hurricane/Gosen OG-Sheep setup and more stiff than Prince Recoil. Overall, it had a pretty fair amount of comfort.

Spin/Ball Bite: The strings felt like they had pretty good spin, maybe slightly better than PSGD of the same gauge, but wasn't really outstanding in this area either.

String Movement: Didn't have much movement- didn't have to re-adjust the strings much at all.

After about an hour of playtesting this string and being frustrated and unrewarded after almost every rally, I switched to my racquet with Prince Recoil in it and immediately there was a difference in my level of play and I began getting better rallies, better consistancy, more powerful strokes, and began dictating play much more often.

ronalditop
03-07-2009, 08:59 AM
^^^ you say it doesnt have too much power. thats maybe because you string it too high (68/66 lbs). try lowering the tension next time.

dwhiteside
03-07-2009, 05:52 PM
^^^ you say it doesnt have too much power. thats maybe because you string it too high (68/66 lbs). try lowering the tension next time.

I am thinking that may have been a typo, as he said he was instructed to string it initially at his normal tension, and his sig says he normally is at 58/56.

SchreckTennis
03-07-2009, 11:45 PM

Well I'm saying it has very little power compared to PSGD 17g or 16g strung at the same tension. And I think there may have been a typo on my part because I string at 58/56 not 68/66

Edit: There was an error on my part concerning my stringing tension in an earlier post and it has been remedied.