PDA

View Full Version : Funny Thing About Windows

gmlasam
03-02-2005, 07:10 AM
I found this online and thought it was very funny.

Why would someone want to try and run a Windows virus in Linux? To see what would happen of course! Yes folks, by using Wine, you too can have some of that missed virus fun as well. You should keep in mind that most Windows viruses will not do anything within Wine that could affect Linux. Having said that, it is interesting to note Newsforge reports found out that the SomeFool worm did in fact, have an effect on the Linux OS after all.

It just isn't fair that Windows users get all the viruses. I mean really, shouldn't Linux users be in on the fun as well? Well... thanks to the folks running the Wine project, Linux users can "catch the virus bug" too -- sort of.

Linux just isn't user-friendly when it comes to viruses. You have to work to find and run them. It doesn't happen automatically as it does with Windows. The GNU/Linux folks really should improve this glaring discrepancy.

While I have friends that collect viruses, I didn't need to bother them. I found plenty by looking through my staggering collection of bogofilter sorted mail. I apt-getted a copy of ClamAV, and after siccing it at my spam-and-other-things-I-don't-want-to-read collection, I yanked out a half-dozen unique, only Windows-compatible, viruses. That "only Windows-compatible" part was about to change.
Klez

Amazingly, Klez ran, but Wine kept on spewing out errors about "ntdll." After Googling to find out what Klez was supposed to do, I discovered that it's supposed to scour your system for email addresses, then mail itself out in a mostly un-RFC fashion. I didn't want to miss out on this, so I added my e-mail address to a .txt file under ~/.wine/fake_windows/Windows/Desktop/ and re-ran the virus. After waiting for a few minutes, and receiving no mail, I gave Symantec's summary of the Klez virus another look. Klez is so un-RFC compliant that it doesn't even bother to query DNS for the mail server of a given domain. It just tries "smtp.domainname.com." My mail server isn't named smtp.mydomain.com, but the Panix ISP (where I have a shell account) has such a host, so I edited my .txt file and tried again. After waiting half an hour, still nothing. Was networking working with Wine? I downloaded a copy of putty, and that worked. Panix must be blocking Klez via a Postfix regex or something. I give Klez 2/5 Penguins for at least running, but not doing what it's supposed to.

Bora
03-02-2005, 07:15 AM
Personally, I have switched to Mac OS X a few years ago and never looked back. Many, security conscious organizations are running Windows in virtual machines, like VMWare, just to be safe.

gmlasam
03-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Personally, I have switched to Mac OS X a few years ago and never looked back. Many, security conscious organizations are running Windows in virtual machines, like VMWare, just to be safe.
I use macs also, have an iBook and a Powerbook. I only use PC with Linux. I do however, have one PC with winxp pro just to play games on, but the rest of my PC in my home network runs Linux of different distros, such as Suse, Mandrake, Fedora and Slackware.