PDA

View Full Version : Revisiting the aussie open final

ACE of Hearts
02-23-2009, 11:06 PM
I wasnt here to post and i dont know what people wrote after the aussie final and what there comments where.All i have to say about the final was how dissapointing it was to see once again Fed crumble in the biggest points especially that 3rd set which i felt was the match.Too many break points.,His crying in the end was pathetic as well.I love the guy and he was emotional but that just adds more fuel for Nadal, like he really needs it against Roger.:(It showed Roger's weak mental state of mind against Nadal.

Okazaki Fragment
02-23-2009, 11:11 PM
I wasnt here to post and i dont know what people wrote after the aussie final and what there comments where.All i have to say about the final was how dissapointing it was to see once again Fed crumble in the biggest points especially that 3rd set which i felt was the match.Too many break points.,His crying in the end was pathetic as well.I love the guy and he was emotional but that just adds more fuel for Nadal, like he really needs it against Roger.:(It showed Roger's weak mental state of mind against Nadal.

Heh, that's pretty good. Nadal gets his strength by feeding on Federer's tears.

rubberduckies
02-24-2009, 12:23 AM
What more can you ask of Fed? He left it all on the court, emotionally and physically. He didn't lose those breakpoints, Rafa saved them with amazing tennis.

Here's the game at 4-4 in the 3rd. Rafa has not hit a single 1st serve in this game and now finds himself down 0-40 due to a couple of unforced errors.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG-jFg59Cvg

Rafa to serve and has committed couple of UFE's to give Roger 3 bp's at 0-40.

Point at 0-40: Federer hits through his backhand on 2nd serve return, but Nadal ends the point on his second groundstroke with an irretrievable cc backhand.
Point at 15-40: Nadal finally hits a 1st serve, controls the rally with aggressive shots, and ends it with an inside-out forehand winner.
Point at 30-40: On 2nd serve, Federer anticipates it going to his backhand and prepares to run around to hit an aggressive return. Nadal recognizes this and goes to his forehand instead, which catches Fed off balance and forces him to net the return.
Point at 40-40: After saving 3 bp's, Nadal hits an huge crosscourt forehand that Fed cannot return.
Point at Ad-Nad: Long, aggressive rally that Federer wins by drawing an unforced error from Nadal with a very loppy, topspin-heavy, high-net clearance forehand.
Point at Deuce2: Nadal aces Fed by going to his forehand in the deuce court.
Point at Ad-Nad: Nadal draws an unforced error from Fed with a crosscourt backhand.

ACE of Hearts
02-24-2009, 12:30 AM
That is what i am talking about.0-40 with some second serves from Nadal.He had more chances when it got to deuce.The bottom line is that Fed plays too tight on the big points versus Nadal.I dont know if he will ever handle those nerves.

rubberduckies
02-24-2009, 12:40 AM
But when the going got tough, Nadal's serving and overall aggression improved.

On the 3 bps, Federer had, he was at fault for failing to convert.

On the first, he hits through his 2nd serve return (does not slice it), and Rafa responds with a backhand winner. There was nothing Federer should have done differently. Trying to be extremely aggressive on return at 0-40 may just be handing a free point to the opponent, especially if that opponent has be making UFEs this game.

On the 2nd, Nadal hits a first serve finally and never lets Fed get into the rally.

On the 3rd, Fed prepares for an aggressive return of 2nd serve by running around his forehand. Nadal recognizes this and hits a gutsy 2nd serve at Fed's forehand side, which catches Roger somewhat flat-footed.

It's easy to see 0-40 and think Roger should definitely have won the game, but Nadal earned each of those bp's back. Roger didn't hand anything to him in that game.

tahiti
02-24-2009, 12:44 AM
I don't mind Fed crying shows how much it means to him. I would have been heartbroken too. That Rafa took his Wimbie title, The gold medal, the Davis Cup & now Oz & the defeats keep coming. Keeps holding him from reaching the record he wants to reach. Pretty despressing don't you think?

tahiti
02-24-2009, 12:46 AM
Most important thing I forgot to mention.
The no.1 spot. Who wants to be the King and then the Deputy? Especially not if you've had it for so long. It's TOUGH to say the least.

illkhiboy
02-24-2009, 11:25 AM
I think Federer should sliced more. He simply did not play that shot often enough. Nadal played an awesome match but he wasn't handling the slice particularly well in this match. I think Federer might have hit 15 slices in the whole match, often with good results. And I don't recall Nadal taking control of the point off a slice either, so at the very least the point stayed neutral.

Federer is often lauded for his variety, but what good is that if he's unwilling to use it at important moments.

Off the top, I remember when Nadal was serving at 6-5. He won a couple points easily, before Federer was forced to hit a slice on the run resulting in an unforced error. After that we didn't see the slice for perhaps another three games. It was disappointing to see that Federer didn't notice Nadal struggling to hit forceful shots off the slice. Perhaps the past memories of Nadal hitting forceful forehands off Federer's slice were at the back of the Swiss' mind.

By the way, remember the 4-2 game in the first set? I think that might have been the most important game of the match. Federer was on a bit of a roll at the time. At 15-0, if I 'm not mistaken, he hit a forehand volley down the line which Nadal picked up off his shoe laces and hit an amazing forehand pass on the run.

Later in the game, Federer hit a sharply angled crosscourt backhand which Nadal looped back cross court; with the court open and Nadal's shot not having much on it, Federer was in control. He chose to run around his backhand and blast a forehand down the line. Of course, this exposed his own forehand side and Nadal quick as ever ran the ball down to flick a crosscourt backhand winner.

My reaction to that play was, "Why didn't Federer hit a short backhand slice down the line?" Doing so, he wouldn't have exposed his forehand side and Nadal would have to chase down a low ball instead of one at about crotch height which was relatively easy to angle away. Not to mention he was able to feed off the pace from Federer's forehand.

A game or two later, the exact same pattern repeated. Too bad Federer did not make the neccesary adjustment.

Nadal_Freak
02-24-2009, 12:39 PM
What better way to revisit the Aussie Final then to look at my avatar. :D