PDA

View Full Version : Where on the racquet face do you break strings?

aet-60
02-24-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm curious to find out where on the racquet face (mains/crosses) you typically break strings, and what kind of strokes/game/rating that you have?

I play against a fellow with very similar strokes and game to mine - 99 percent of my breaks are on the mains, and conversely, a similar percentage of his are on the crosses.

fastdunn
02-24-2009, 10:09 AM
99.99% of time, on mains, slightly above center point of the head.

i don't use hybrids like poly mains and synthetic/nat gut crosses by the way..

Jonny S&V
02-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Big topspin groundstrokes (heavy) and kick/twist my serve 90% of the time, so you would think I would break strings often. I break my strings in the middle of the frame in the crosses (don't ask me why, it's just where it happens) after about 4-5 hours of play. Thankfully I own a stringer. :)

EDIT: I am a serve and volleyer though, so I don't hit groundstrokes as often as volleys (about 60-40 volleys to groundstrokes).

javierjavier
02-24-2009, 10:28 AM
99.99% of time, on mains, slightly above center point of the head.

i don't use hybrid of poly mains and synthetic/nat gut crosses by the way..
same here... 99% of the time on the mains just slightly above center. from what i've seen that seems to be were the majority break.

steve d
02-24-2009, 10:41 AM
My mains almost always notch and break. Usually its the second or third main from center, at just over half-way up the racket.

jazar
02-24-2009, 11:10 AM
havent broke many strings recently. usually break them on about the second or third main from the middle just above centre. today i broke a cross in a similar place

MagPro
02-24-2009, 11:16 AM
same here... 99% of the time on the mains just slightly above center. from what i've seen that seems to be were the majority break.

Me too.

ten more characters.

djoko4thewin
02-24-2009, 11:22 AM
i hit with a fair amount of topspin and some flat shots, and my strings always break on the cross just above the middle of the stringbed.

Tombhoneb
02-24-2009, 11:33 AM
I usually break mine on one of the 4 middle mains above center.

How come the majority of the people who have replied so far hit above the middle and not smack bang center ?

djoko4thewin
02-24-2009, 11:51 AM
How come the majority of the people who have replied so far hit above the middle and not smack bang center ?

Because as you get better it's easier to generate topspin there than in the middle and pros hit it there too if you didn't know.

jim e
02-24-2009, 12:00 PM
I am not a typical string breaker,(relative flat hitter, with a strong forehand) and the all gut strings I use last a good while even though they fray early on.
Mine usually break on the 6th-7th cross string from the top,(just a little above center) due to wearing and fraying.(18 X 19 Pattern, and the 18 X 20 pattern racquets)I can just about tell when it will break due to the wearing down of the fibers.
For a while I hit with gut mains and Lux. crosses, but never kept it in the racquets long enough to have it break, but I'm sure that the gut main would have went 1st with that set up.

mikeler
02-24-2009, 12:16 PM
Mine break on just about any main usually above the centerline of the racket. I'm using a hybrid setup these days, so I'm sure the weaker crosses will break first now.