PDA

View Full Version : USTA mens 50 singles tournaments?

dthomas
02-24-2009, 12:00 PM
I've been thinking about playing some USTA mens singles matches in California this year when I turn 50. I'm a 4.5 player, and was wondering if it would be worth my time, or if I would get destroyed by these guys? Also, I was wondering if you get to play at least two matches? I would hate to travel to these places, pay the fees, and then get beat in the first match and go home.
Thanks!

rasajadad
02-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Are you the same dthomas that used to live in Vermont? If so, you'll do fine in the 50's. Especially in your 1st year or two when you are the "kid." Until you get a ranking, you'll get crappy draws so keep that in mind. And you can check the draws and tournament info to see if they'll have a backside. Ususally the bigger tournament do.

dthomas
02-24-2009, 12:52 PM
No, I'm not from Vermont, but it sounds like that dthomas is a very good player.

rasajadad
02-24-2009, 01:05 PM
He was my doubles partner and we both moved away from Vermont and I haven't been able to track him down.

tennismike33
02-26-2009, 09:46 AM
I've been thinking about playing some USTA mens singles matches in California this year when I turn 50. I'm a 4.5 player, and was wondering if it would be worth my time, or if I would get destroyed by these guys? Also, I was wondering if you get to play at least two matches? I would hate to travel to these places, pay the fees, and then get beat in the first match and go home.
Thanks!

You should have some success. Remember, you will be playing guys our age and older, as I am a 50 year old as well. With everything being equal it is a challenge to play against 4.5 and higher players who are younger, I understand your pain. Recently I was playing the 50's last year in the Pacific NW and hung in there and met with some success. Good luck with your pursuit.

GRANITECHIEF
02-26-2009, 09:53 AM
Here is a link to a Mens 50's National Hardcourt Championship in Santa Barbara played every year in July.

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/tournamenthome/tournament.aspx?T=60649

If you'll notice, there is a consolation draw, so it looks like you would be set for at least 2 matches.

Being a 4.5 would probably be good for winning a match or 2 with a good draw. However, the guys making deep into the tourney are probably 5.0+.

dthomas
03-03-2009, 12:08 PM
Thank you for the information. I was wondering what is the difference between a 4.5 player and a 5.0 players. I believe in college I was a 5.0 player, but with age and being busy with work and family, I consider myself a 4.5 player. I'm hoping in time to get back to playing more often and participate in more tournaments in the 50 men singles, and so on as I get older. I feel I'm in good condition, but I believe the only think I am lacking is more consistency and mental toughness from playing tournaments. I only play about once a week, and then work out about twice a week. I have plenty of power in my game. I'm 6' 2" and weight around 195. So I guess I wondering what it takes to go from a 4.5 player to a 5.0 player? Thanks!

LuckyR
03-04-2009, 09:48 AM
Thank you for the information. I was wondering what is the difference between a 4.5 player and a 5.0 players. I believe in college I was a 5.0 player, but with age and being busy with work and family, I consider myself a 4.5 player. I'm hoping in time to get back to playing more often and participate in more tournaments in the 50 men singles, and so on as I get older. I feel I'm in good condition, but I believe the only think I am lacking is more consistency and mental toughness from playing tournaments. I only play about once a week, and then work out about twice a week. I have plenty of power in my game. I'm 6' 2" and weight around 195. So I guess I wondering what it takes to go from a 4.5 player to a 5.0 player? Thanks!

I think you just answered your own question...

tennismike33
03-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks!

Have you had any results as of yet?????