PDA

View Full Version : I'm still a big fan of Djokovic

LanceStern
02-24-2009, 01:46 PM
+ I like his game
+ I especially like the serve
+ I like the determination he has in his matches.
- I don't like when he flubs matches when he knows he's lost, but I don't mind him forfeiting. If he can't play he can't play, it's still a win to the other person.
+ I don't mind his attitude. I don't see it as cocky, just he's confident in himself.
+ Is sporting some nice green tennis duds this season. Might have to check it out.
+ Game is very controlled and inspiring on clay.
+ He's funny as only God knows

I wouldn't mind him taking world #1 or 2 in the next few years. He's got the game for it.

miyagi
02-24-2009, 01:50 PM
+ I like his game
- I don't like when he flubs matches when he knows he's lost, but I don't mind him forfeiting. If he can't play he can't play, it's still a win to the other person.
+ I don't mind his attitude. I don't see it as cocky, just he's confident in himself.
+ Is sporting some nice green tennis duds this season. Might have to check it out.

I wouldn't mind him taking world #1 or 2 in the next few years. He's got the game for it.

I like him alot, it's nice to have lots of different characters in the game....

His game is good too especially his back hand is freaking nice

Think he is a great player but he seems to be struggling of late.

Doubt he'll be #1 over Rafa though

koalakoala
02-24-2009, 02:16 PM
I am not his fan. But I really hope he can shape up to make the current competition even more thrilling and complex.

Federe, Nadal, Murray and Djoker sharing the grand slams sound pretty good for me.

Nadal_Freak
02-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Great guy. Would be nice for him to take the number 2 spot from Federer. Especially funny in the karaoke jam at Roland Garros.

Satch
02-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Great guy. Would be nice for him to take the number 2 spot from Federer. Especially funny in the karaoke jam at Roland Garros.

but he almost got it from Rafa a year ago :D

veroniquem
02-24-2009, 02:39 PM
but he almost got it from Rafa a year ago :D
He almost got it from Federer in January. It seems every time he has a chance to get it, he chokes :???:. Ranking anxiety?

koalakoala
02-24-2009, 02:47 PM

Murray stands a better chance to overtake both Nadal and Federer to climb to Number one. Not so soon in 2009 but not too far ahead as well.

Whatever, personally, I'd like to see messy fights.

jimwh
02-24-2009, 03:16 PM
There is no question about his talent. He is very entertaining to watch also. He just needs to mature some more. Will be towards the top of the rankings for a while.

THERAFA
02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
i think djokovic will not win a slam ever again because he has a lot more flaws than rafa nadal, federer and murray and i think those 3 will win every slam for the next few years :mrgreen:

BabolatPureStorm
02-24-2009, 03:42 PM
+ I like his game

Determination? Pfft, please.

Mkie7
02-24-2009, 04:16 PM
+ I like his game

I Used to like Djokovic....during the humble years when it was all smiles, determination and respect. Kinda lost it a lil., but I still think he has a strong game when he is on. He is one of the best on hard courts IMO.

VivalaVida
02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Cant hate Nole after seeing this picture. ROFL
http://nsa01.casimages.com/img/2008/05/12/0805120846433268990.jpg

vmosrafa08
02-24-2009, 04:52 PM
+ I like his game

I don't agree with the determination part... That will prevent him from being no. 1 in the future. He's getting killed by players like Tsonga.

Nadal_Freak
02-24-2009, 04:53 PM
How can anyone forget this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAt0O-RkRwk

veroniquem
02-24-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't agree with the determination part... That will prevent him from being no. 1 in the future. He's getting killed by players like Tsonga.
That's an interesting remark, Tsonga has now beaten Djokovic 4 times in a row. Tsonga has also won several tournaments in 2009. Has anybody thought Tsonga could make the top 5 this year and Djoko might drop a few spots?

koalakoala
02-24-2009, 04:59 PM
i think djokovic will not win a slam ever again because he has a lot more flaws than rafa nadal, federer and murray and i think those 3 will win every slam for the next few years :mrgreen:

Saying he is not going to win a slam ever is a bit harsh. At least give him a chance as an under dog please.

As for the grand slams, as long as no single one player is dominant, I am happy. If there are black horses to knock Nadal off French and Federer off US open occasionally( I am a Federer fan but I think I should be fair), I will be even happier.

veroniquem
02-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Saying he is not going to win a slam ever is a bit harsh. At least give him a chance as an under dog please.

As for the grand slams, as long as no single one player is dominant, I am happy. If there are black horses to knock Nadal off French and Federer off US open occasionally( I am a Federer fan but I think I should be fair), I will be even happier.
Are you unhappy right now then?( with one player holding 3 slams out of the last 4...)

Nadal_Freak
02-24-2009, 05:04 PM
I really thought the Australian Open was Djokovic's best chance for winning this year. I'm thinking Nadal French, Nadal/Federer Wimbledon, and Murray US Open. Of those I guess Djokovic could win the US Open.

koalakoala
02-24-2009, 05:07 PM
How can anyone forget this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAt0O-RkRwk

He is fun. American audience last year were really too harsh on him. Hope he can learn and find the confidence again.

I also hope that Federer can be on better term with him personally...anyway.

DarthFed
02-24-2009, 05:07 PM
this is how i feel about Djoko as of late

I don't know...i think it's his intensity...a lot of the things he was criticized for on this forum have all but disappeared...

He doesn't beat his chest as much
His parents aren't there
He isn't making rash statements
toned down the ball bouncing
No more imitations

When these things disappeared....so did his intensity...this isn't the same Nole who won the AO

You can hardly call him arrogant these days but was losing the arrogance a good trade off for intensity and consistency?

I do like him though, he's #4 on my list of favorites

Djokovicfan4life
02-24-2009, 05:08 PM
I don't think most of the Djokovic hate is deserved at all, really. So he needs to toughen up a bit. Federer had a laundry list of his own problems at that age. Come to think of it, most players do. We're talking about people here guys, not superhumans.

Matt

oy vey
02-24-2009, 05:12 PM
I like his game. When he is on, he's great.

koalakoala
02-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Are you unhappy right now then?( with one player holding 3 slams out of the last 4...)

Not that happy :)

Hard to think of someone else for French though.

Wimbleton for Federer and US for Murray.

jefferson
02-24-2009, 05:16 PM
I enjoyed the chest pounding and such.
I really like how he applauds his opponents good shots. I think us americans might not understand his heritage and culture. I have never met a serbian before.

koalakoala
02-24-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't think most of the Djokovic hate is deserved at all, really. So he needs to toughen up a bit. Federer had a laundry list of his own problems at that age. Come to think of it, most players do. We're talking about people here guys, not superhumans.

Matt

Agree. Players are normal human beings with different personalities and different problems.

As on-lookers, we can certainly love some more but we can also certainly hate others less.

MarrratSafin
02-24-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm not a real fan of Djoker, but I like him. I guess many ppl dislike him because he retires a lot etc etc, but IMO he's just a great guy. He ain't cocky, just confident, and respects his opponents! Also ppl don't like him bouncing the ball a lot? But I just find it funny, a lot of things he do is funny.:)

koalakoala
02-24-2009, 05:51 PM
this is how i feel about Djoko as of late

I don't know...i think it's his intensity...a lot of the things he was criticized for on this forum have all but disappeared...

He doesn't beat his chest as much
His parents aren't there
He isn't making rash statements
toned down the ball bouncing
No more imitations

When these things disappeared....so did his intensity...this isn't the same Nole who won the AO

You can hardly call him arrogant these days but was losing the arrogance a good trade off for intensity and consistency?

I do like him though, he's #4 on my list of favorites

No. It is not a good trade off at all. Hope he can find himself again. Smashing rackets might be an option. Hey, Safin smashed so many rackets and was massively popular. Give Djoker an outlet to let his emotions out. It doesn't hurt anyone except the rackets.

Federer can show more emotions on court occassionally if it does help to calm down mentally quickly, I think. Don't need to be all bottled-up.

Beasty54
02-24-2009, 08:19 PM
+ I like his game

http://i42.tinypic.com/sauush.jpg

LanceStern
02-24-2009, 09:18 PM
If Djokovic fainted and vomited all over the court at 2-5 in the 4th set with Roddick serving it out, would it then be all right for him to forfeit?

BabolatPureStorm
02-24-2009, 09:20 PM
If Djokovic fainted and vomited all over the court at 2-5 in the 4th set with Roddick serving it out, would it then be all right for him to forfeit?

Hardly...

10 char

RCizzle65
02-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Murray stands a better chance to overtake both Nadal and Federer to climb to Number one. Not so soon in 2009 but not too far ahead as well.

Whatever, personally, I'd like to see messy fights.

When Murray starts to get good results on clay then he might overtake them, the three people above them can adapt to all types of courts, while Murray hasn't proven yet that he can hit through the clay

Underhand
02-24-2009, 10:37 PM
He will get the retire career grand slam for sure. Adorable.

edberg505
02-24-2009, 11:03 PM
That's an interesting remark, Tsonga has now beaten Djokovic 4 times in a row. Tsonga has also won several tournaments in 2009. Has anybody thought Tsonga could make the top 5 this year and Djoko might drop a few spots?

Not a chance, the guy is totally overrated.

LanceStern
02-24-2009, 11:34 PM
No I do not think Tsonga will hit Top 5.

He has a great game and definitely great net skills... but he can't seem to hang around uninjured long enough to do anything big.

Tsonga is like a thorn in Novaks' side, his game doesn't match up well. Tsonga is super confident against Novak and plays aggressive on every ball. Makes it really uncomfortable for the Djoker

dr325i
02-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Hardly...

10 char

So, what Azarenka did (agains that guy at AO) is not justified for you...

Tony48
02-25-2009, 12:03 AM
I wish he'd win a friggin title soon.

ESP#1
02-25-2009, 12:59 AM

Matt

This is true, i think fed was wrong to criticize djoko the way he did, he may have had a point but i just think he was out of order, i like the way karma came back and bit em in the @$$, choking in the 5th and then crying like a girl,

this is why nadal is the man, minds his business, isnt critical of other players and focuses on winning slams, look at the sympathy he should for fed at the AO, he let the trophy celebration become a lets feel sorry for Fed moment, and just think Fed is 5 years older

anyway back to Novak, he is going to win more slams, if he wants, hes still maturing mentally, going through a rebellious stage of sorts, he is a great talent and has alot of personality, to me he is still one of the most exciting players to watch, so yea im still a fan, you werent really a fan anyway if you just liked em during the good times, thats just jumping the bandwagon and thats common

to all the haters, keep it up, i love it, that just adds excitement to his comeback, if all fans were like me sports would be boring:)

koalakoala
02-25-2009, 01:15 AM
This is true, i think fed was wrong to criticize djoko the way he did, he may have had a point but i just think he was out of order, i like the way karma came back and bit em in the @$$, choking in the 5th and then crying like a girl,

this is why nadal is the man, minds his business, isnt critical of other players and focuses on winning slams, look at the sympathy he should for fed at the AO, he let the trophy celebration become a lets feel sorry for Fed moment, and just think Fed is 5 years older

anyway back to Novak, he is going to win more slams, if he wants, hes still maturing mentally, going through a rebellious stage of sorts, he is a great talent and has alot of personality, to me he is still one of the most exciting players to watch, so yea im still a fan, you werent really a fan anyway if you just liked em during the good times, thats just jumping the bandwagon and thats common

to all the haters, keep it up, i love it, that just adds excitement to his comeback, if all fans were like me sports would be boring:)

Gees. You are really gracious.

I mean, I talked about my favorite player, Roger, and wish Roger and Djoker on better terms in future with no intention to judge either of them.

I can hardly believe you are jumping on this and turn this into Nadal better than Feder thread.

ESP#1
02-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Gees. You are really gracious.

I mean, I talked about my favorite player, Roger, and wish Roger and Djoker on better terms in future with no intention to judge either of them.

I can hardly believe you are jumping on this and turn this into Nadal better than Feder thread.

No offense but i come from a neutral standpoint, i can see where a federer fan would be upset, what i did was not as much judging as recalling actual events, i am a fan of federer also and I defend him often on these threads,

btw i cant believe thats all you got from my post, i think we can all learn something from nadal, not being bias just honest, you make it sound like your the op and i just hijacked

Gorecki
02-25-2009, 02:04 AM
He will get the retire career grand slam for sure. Adorable.

the life of a Idiotard...

Ass: the suspected to be *******

koalakoala
02-25-2009, 02:20 AM
No offense but i come from a neutral standpoint, i can see where a federer fan would be upset, what i did was not as much judging as recalling actual events, i am a fan of federer also and I defend him often on these threads,

btw i cant believe thats all you got from my post, i think we can all learn something from nadal, not being bias just honest, you make it sound like your the op and i just hijacked

No offense from my part as well. I might have becoming overly sensitive after reading so many pointless Federer vs Nadal posts... probably I should only come back to this forum when there are real matches going on...

BTW, I do think minding your own business is wise. But Roger is by nature more outspoken and his fluent English and long-standing number one status give him more exposure to the media. I also believe he made his points with good faith.

No one can please everybody anyway. There are suspecisions that Nadal's humility is a fake act... What can we say?

Gorecki
02-25-2009, 02:21 AM

ho jebesus crisis... may the godlike creatures forbid me to come across a certain post of your...

Telepatic
02-25-2009, 05:35 AM
He needs to light fire to get good, `wood` is in Dubai, he just need to take it.

Winners or Errors
02-25-2009, 06:23 AM
I think he could be the next Lendl if he takes his conditioning more seriously. Not sure he's going to do it, but it'd be fun to watch. He has the game. It's just a matter of being focused enough for a long enough period of time on the court for him. Fun to watch. Hard to watch him fade physically in matches, and when I've seen him lose that is almost universally the theme. Not sure he'll ever be loved, but he may get to the level of "underrated" champion...

LanceStern
02-25-2009, 09:32 PM
ESP that was a horrible thing to put in my topic there.... and yes I read your post after that, but still I can barely get through your original one without being a little annoyed.

Can you reword that or something? That's almost trolling

saram
02-25-2009, 10:01 PM
^^I think you need to grow a pair if you're going to hang out here...not everyone in this world will kiss our butts and agree with us.

ESP#1
02-25-2009, 10:20 PM
ESP that was a horrible thing to put in my topic there.... and yes I read your post after that, but still I can barely get through your original one without being a little annoyed.

Can you reword that or something? That's almost trolling

Hey saram, is this guy serious?

whats this world coming to

saram
02-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Hey saram, is this guy serious?

whats this world coming to

Probably is serious--and I have about four extra layers of skin since coming here two years ago. This place thickens and toughens skin :twisted:

ESP#1
02-25-2009, 10:35 PM
Saram, you think i was outta line? i thought it was a straight forward post, i guess federer fans are more sensitive as the man himself, i'd hate to have to depend on some of these people in a physical confrontation

grafrules
02-25-2009, 10:41 PM
It is amazing how overrated Djokovic by some people on this forum. The next Lendl, ROTFL!! Now that is funny.

saram
02-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Saram, you think i was outta line? i thought it was a straight forward post, i guess federer fans are more sensitive as the man himself, i'd hate to have to depend on some of these people in a physical confrontation

No, you weren't out of line. I had to read the entire thread three times to see why they were whining. Still curious as to what ruffled their feathers.

saram
02-25-2009, 10:47 PM
It is amazing how overrated Djokovic by some people on this forum. The next Lendl, ROTFL!! Now that is funny.

He's #3 in the world--not too shabby considering men's tennis right now.

edmondsm
02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
Djokovic is good, but I just can't like him very much. I like Murray alot better for some reason. I see Murray as having more fluidity to his game, but it might just be me.

ESP#1
02-25-2009, 10:54 PM
I like Djoko more than Murray, i just find his matches more exciting, :)

saram
02-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Djokovic is good, but I just can't like him very much. I like Murray alot better for some reason. I see Murray as having more fluidity to his game, but it might just be me.

Look at your avatar; you like silky-smooth backhands :twisted:

bluetrain4
02-25-2009, 11:20 PM
I'm a big fan of his game and think if he can get his head on straight, he could be really great. Don't like him much personally, but it's good to have him in the mix.

zagor
02-26-2009, 12:00 AM
I like Djokovic's game,great ballstriker,that DTL BH is a thing of beauty,didn't some of the things Novak did last year and I think he needs to toughen up but he's growing on me lately.Have to admit that part of the reasong for that is that he brought and ATP tourney to my country,gotta respect that.I also liked the way he fought for the medal at the Olympics last year.

i thought it was a straight forward post

You certainly weren't out of line,it's just a bit annoying to see every thread these days degenarate into "Fed is a crybaby,why isn't he perfect as my hero Nadal".Sorry to break it to you but Nadal while a nice guy is far from being an angel on court so he's no Edberg or Rafter in my book,not even close.If I want to find example of the perfect sportmanship,it would be those 2 guys not Nadal(no matter what his fans say here).

As for Fed,sure he has his own problems to worry about but if presented with a question I for one am interested in hearing his opinion.If people aren't interested in his opinion,they're free to ignore and skip Fed's interviews,it isn't that hard to do.You don't like listening to what a certain player has to say? Then don't,very simple.

i guess federer fans are more sensitive as the man himself, i'd hate to have to depend on some of these people in a physical confrontation

First part is generalizing,I'm a Fed fan but that doesn't mean I have to like the way he acted at the ceremony in front of Aussie legends and Nadal.I understand it but don't condone it(he should have kept it together and allowed Nadal to have his moment of winning his first HC slam)and as for how one fares in "physical confrontation" depends on various things and it's really hard to judge that over an anonymous internet message board.

Fed may be sensitive allowing emotions to get the better of him too often but he also showed what he's made of last year when after very dissapointing Wimbledon and Olympic losses he came strong and won USO(surviving a very tough match with Andreev on the way)"salvaging" his year so to speak.I know people here like stereotypes and Fed doesn't fit the strong "macho" type a lot of people here like to identify themselves with but you don't have nearly as much as success Fed had in any sport by being merely sensitive,the guy is a good competitor no matter what tennis "experts" say here.Nothing comes easy in any professional sport,that's what some people don't get here.

LanceStern
02-26-2009, 10:29 AM
It was a straight forward post where..

A. I'm talking about Djokovic and how I'm a fan of him.

B. Someone agrees and says Djokovic gets a lot of undeserved hate. Also briefly mentions Fed shouldn't have mentioned anything about Djokovic's retirement in his game against Roddick, but that's that.

C. You take that, talk about how Fed's comments bit him back, how he choked in the 5th set and cried like a baby? Then how Nadal is the best and people should imitate him?

Not straightforward, not cool and it was off-topic. Whatever though.

ESP#1
02-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Zagor, ima fan of federer also i was kiddingand i know the fed crying thing has been played out but i think you guys miss the point.

So lets make this real straight forward

Fed is on national tv criticizing Novaks short comings when he himself had a ton of issues when he was the same age not to mention the ones he has now(i.e losing gracefully)

So my point is......... federer was out of line,

Not saying hes a bad person or anything, if you read some of my posts i defend federer alot on these threads and I love his game

I also idolize Nadal cause he has shown a level of maturity at his age that is admirable, he may show more emotion on court than edberg but to me still as noble

I thought the situation with federer at the AO was very emotional at the time but now that its over, i think its kinda funny, i think you guys need to lighten up a bit

tahiti
02-26-2009, 11:20 AM
Djoko is one great player. He's not in form at the moment. Fitness? but he has a good chance right now to take Dubai.

ESP#1
02-26-2009, 11:27 AM
C. You take that, talk about how Fed's comments bit him back, how he choked in the 5th set and cried like a baby? Then how Nadal is the best and people should imitate him?

Not straightforward, not cool and it was off-topic. Whatever though.

Ok, answer these questions

Did he criticize Novak?

Did he not choke?

Did he cry? Babies cry also hence the term like a baby

Did Nadal behave graceful and sympathetic?

Thank you,

Maybe we should get rid of politics, news or any source of information, for it runs the risk of someone saying something negative that someone else did, or that happen

tahiti
02-26-2009, 11:30 AM
One has to face it, Federer has a bit of a reputation for bad-mouthing other players. Pity he doesn't read the forums...
It's the only thing that I don't like about him.

veroniquem
02-26-2009, 11:50 AM
ho jebesus crisis... may the godlike creatures forbid me to come across a certain post of your...
I don't understand your remark :(

edmondsm
02-26-2009, 11:54 AM
Look at your avatar; you like silky-smooth backhands :twisted:

Actually yes, Nalbandian's strokes are as fluid as they come. Silky-smooth like a French Silk Pie.:)

koalakoala
02-26-2009, 12:06 PM

I don't think I should give you benefit of doubts this time.

You are jumping on another opportunity again. This time attacking Roger's fans?

I don't think I should prove myself to you, as who I am is completely irrelevant to who Roger is.

Does supporting a current winner give some people some sense of superiority? Yes, it does. But does this sense of superiority really matter at the end of day? No.

oy vey
02-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Fed is on national tv criticizing Novaks short comings

That, he did.

zagor
02-26-2009, 12:35 PM
Zagor, ima fan of federer also i was kiddingand i know the fed crying thing has been played out but i think you guys miss the point.

So lets make this real straight forward

Fed is on national tv criticizing Novaks short comings when he himself had a ton of issues when he was the same age not to mention the ones he has now(i.e losing gracefully)

So my point is......... federer was out of line,

Not saying hes a bad person or anything, if you read some of my posts i defend federer alot on these threads and I love his game

I also idolize Nadal cause he has shown a level of maturity at his age that is admirable, he may show more emotion on court than edberg but to me still as noble

I thought the situation with federer at the AO was very emotional at the time but now that its over, i think its kinda funny, i think you guys need to lighten up a bit

I agree with many things you say here but still think that the topic has been beaten to death and it would be nice if we could have a thread about some other players(Djokovic,Cilic,Del Potro etc.)without turning it into another Nadal-Fed flame war.Djokovic finding the form he had at the beginning of last year would be good for tennis as a sport as he's the guy that has the talent to challenge the top 2,more competition is always better.

As for the bolded part,It isn't "emotion" what separates Nadal and Edberg it's their whole behaviour and attitude on court.From running through the locker room to bouncing during the coin toss,wild celebrations even on opponent's UFE and most importantly breaking the serve time rule very often etc. Nadal's oncourt behaviour is far from being flawless,he's more like a boxer on court who plays by his own rules.

I certainly don't hold that against him and still consider him to be one of the nicer guys on tour overall(especially towards Fed).I'm all for it that each player brings his own different personality on court,that makes the tour more interesting,however I don't like double standards.

koalakoala
02-26-2009, 12:38 PM
Djoker, you have to be strong.

Murry is sick. We need you badly.

koalakoala
02-26-2009, 12:39 PM
I agree with many things you say here but still think that the topic has been beaten to death and it would be nice if we could have a thread about some other players(Djokovic,Cilic,Del Potro etc.)without turning it into another Nadal-Fed flame war.Djokovic finding the form he had at the beginning of last year would be good for tennis as a sport as he's the guy that has the talent to challenge the top 2,more competition is always better.

As for the bolded part,It isn't "emotion" what separates Nadal and Edberg it's their whole behaviour and attitude on court.From running through the locker room to bouncing during the coin toss,wild celebrations even on opponent's UFE and most importantly breaking the serve time rule very often etc. Nadal's oncourt behaviour is far from being flawless,he's more like a boxer on court who plays by his own rules.

I certainly don't hold that against him and still consider him to be one of the nicer guys on tour overall(especially towards Fed).I'm all for it that each player brings his own different personality on court,that makes the tour more interesting,however I don't like double standards.

Excellent post.

LanceStern
02-26-2009, 01:00 PM
Last year and late 2007, I considered Djokovic the 2nd best hard court player behind Fed. He was having a ball making it to finals and fighting Fed at US Open etc. Very solid off all wings.

Now that 2008 has rolled around, I'm not so sure now. But he's definitely in the Top4 and my 2nd favorite player now that I think about it.

zagor
02-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Excellent post.

Thanks.

Last year and late 2007, I considered Djokovic the 2nd best hard court player behind Fed. He was having a ball making it to finals and fighting Fed at US Open etc. Very solid off all wings.

Now that 2008 has rolled around, I'm not so sure now. But he's definitely in the Top 5 and my 2nd favorite player now that I think about it.

I'd actually take Djokovic's results on HC in 2008 over anyone else's that year,AO+IW+TMC+USO semifinal is pretty impressive.We'll see what he'll do this year although start of the year wasn't good,maybe he'll find his form again at some point during the season(I expect hiim to).

LanceStern
02-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks.

I'd actually take Djokovic's results on HC in 2008 over anyone else's that year,AO+IW+TMC+USO semifinal is pretty impressive.We'll see what he'll do this year although start of the year wasn't good,maybe he'll find his form again at some point during the season(I expect hiim to).

I might take Nadal's over that, just because he did

AO SF + USO SF + Olympic Gold + Beat Djokovic for a hard court title.
But only just "might", because Djokovics 08 was good.

gj011
02-26-2009, 02:26 PM
I might take Nadal's over that, just because he did

AO SF + USO SF + Olympic Gold + Beat Djokovic for a hard court title.
But only just "might", because Djokovics 08 was good.

Djokovic had most HC points last year. Nadal was second.

tangerine
02-27-2009, 09:49 AM
I like Novak too. He's a great player and entertaining. But I'd like to see him drop the negative body language and stop caring so much whether people like him or not.

Ripster
02-27-2009, 02:16 PM

I was arguing this all year last year. Djokovic was the best hardcourt player in the world in 2008.

lambielspins
02-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Djokovic was only the best hard court player in the world in the winter of last year. In the summer and fall (which is more of the season on hard courts than only the winter) Murray, Nadal, and Federer were all overall far better and more successful on hard courts than he was. To say Djokovic lucked out bigtime at the year end event is putting it mildly.

LanceStern
02-27-2009, 11:05 PM
Djokovic was only the best hard court player in the world in the winter of last year. In the summer and fall (which is more of the season on hard courts than only the winter) Murray, Nadal, and Federer were all overall far better and more successful on hard courts than he was. To say Djokovic lucked out bigtime at the year end event is putting it mildly.

Federer was not far better during that season, and I'm a big Federer fan.

He was knocke dout by Giles Simon, Ivo Karlovic, James Blake in three successive tournaments. And took a lot of losses on hard where Djokovic pushed much further in the rounds. I hate to say that too.

djokovic now that I think about it, yea he probably was the best overall hardcourter for 2008. Murray was best for year end 2008 I think tho

Ruzica
02-28-2009, 04:07 AM
I've been a huge fan of Novak since I first saw him play as a Junior, and that isn't going to change. He's a great kid and a talented player. Yes, he's been going through a bit of a slump lately, - but all players do that - remember the big gap between Sampras winning his first Grand Slam and his next one? Nole has made a few muistakes and put his foot in his mouth sometimes :oops: But then he's still a young guy growing up and learning about life as well as tennis, and not many of us know the stresses of growing up in the public eye, where every word and deed is scrutinised, especially when you are a total "idol" in your own country and can't move at home without the media following you and watching your every move.

I wish him luck today in the Final and for the rest of his career.

zagor
02-28-2009, 08:11 AM

Not really disagreeing with your points here but if you look at overall results on HC in 2008 Novak comes on top IMO,ahead of Fed,Nadal and Murray.This year things are obviously different with Djokovic losing in quarters to Roddick in AO at the beginning of the year.

moonbat
02-28-2009, 09:13 AM
I've been a huge fan of Novak since I first saw him play as a Junior, and that isn't going to change. He's a great kid and a talented player. Yes, he's been going through a bit of a slump lately, - but all players do that - remember the big gap between Sampras winning his first Grand Slam and his next one? Nole has made a few muistakes and put his foot in his mouth sometimes :oops: But then he's still a young guy growing up and learning about life as well as tennis, and not many of us know the stresses of growing up in the public eye, where every word and deed is scrutinised, especially when you are a total "idol" in your own country and can't move at home without the media following you and watching your every move.

I wish him luck today in the Final and for the rest of his career.

(Good post, me, too.) And chicks....don't forget the chicks. Nole probably has had more estrogen thrown at him than all the menopausal women on the planet. I feel for the guy. ;)

Ruzica
02-28-2009, 11:29 AM
(Good post, me, too.) And chicks....don't forget the chicks. Nole probably has had more estrogen thrown at him than all the menopausal women on the planet. I feel for the guy. ;)

LOL - you're probably right. If I wasn't a few years older than him (and married :oops: ) I'd be pretty keen myself :)

moonbat
02-28-2009, 11:35 AM
LOL - you're probably right. If I wasn't a few years older than him (and married :oops: ) I'd be pretty keen myself :)

Me, too!! That married part gets in the way, doesn't it? ;) I have to admit, though, my last crush, J.D. (cough) Fortune, did not turn out so well.:shock:

LanceStern
03-07-2009, 11:54 PM
It sounds like he had a pretty rough Davis Cup match or something like that.

I'm still a big fan of him. Everyone has rough days

Leublu tennis
03-08-2009, 03:08 AM
I like him alot, it's nice to have lots of different characters in the game....

His game is good too especially his back hand is freaking nice

Think he is a great player but he seems to be struggling of late.

Doubt he'll be #1 over Rafa thoughI am in complete agreement on all points, but the last. Unless Djokovic's game starts picking up radically, I don't think he will ever make #1. Which would be very sad. But lets see what the year turns out.

LanceStern
03-27-2009, 11:07 AM
Stilla big fan of Djokovic even with his loss to Roddick in Indian Wells.

I really miss seeing him fired up though. I don't know why he chagned rackets.

Ripster
03-27-2009, 11:45 AM
I'll always be a fan; I just wish he'd start playing with more passion when he's facing some adversity.

I miss the chest pounding and the come on's.

LanceStern
05-23-2009, 11:52 AM
I never stopped being a fan, and he's making me an even bigger fan here on clay.

I minded it a little bit when he beat Fed at Rome, but he's playing extremely solid. Puts on great matches with Nadal.

Very funny too. Have you seen the youtube video: Nadal and Djokovic playing golf?

maximo
05-23-2009, 11:54 AM
I believe Djokovic is the most genuine guy on tour.

LanceStern
05-23-2009, 11:55 AM
I believe Djokovic is the most genuine guy on tour.

He's definitely most truthful, besides maybe Federer.

That gets them in trouble sometimes. Gets miscontrued by the media and fans alike haha

oneleggedcardinal
05-23-2009, 12:17 PM
This has already been said, but I think he's a great ball-striker and I LOVE his serve.

icedevil0289
05-23-2009, 12:19 PM
nole is amazing. I hope he does well in the FO. Well, until he meets fed that is.

Mick
05-23-2009, 12:20 PM
djokovic is the best ball bouncer in the whole atp tour :D

grafselesfan
05-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I think he is a very genuine person. He is very honest and sincere. That gets him in trouble sometimes as he speaks his mind, but I like him.

LanceStern
05-23-2009, 01:05 PM
djokovic is the best ball bouncer in the whole atp tour :D

lol. I laughed

sh@de
05-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Go Djoker and his ball bouncing! That aside, I really like his game :).

GameSampras
05-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Great player, great skill, very talented, but another euro headcase under pressure. Its a shame because he does have the talent to be one of if not thee best of this generation of players. Hes a tough player on every surface yet has only one slam to show for all of it

Docalex007
05-23-2009, 06:51 PM
lol... i'm drunk... not sure what i'm doing here right now but hey... FO tomorrow!!! wooohooo!

Serendipitous
05-23-2009, 07:00 PM
What's not to like about Djokovic (except maybe the ball-bouncing :) )?

I hope he makes the finals of the French Open.

nfor304
05-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Im a fan of his game but not of his personality. I like watching him play but have to turn it off when its time for the on court interview

Ripster
05-23-2009, 08:06 PM
I'll always be a fan; I just wish he'd start playing with more passion when he's facing some adversity.

I miss the chest pounding and the come on's.

I posted this 2 months ago and I can say that he's got his swagger back :)

oy vey
05-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Novak’s comments regarding Madrid:

“Carlos Moya, we all know he was a former No. 1 and winner of his Grand Slam here, he came up to me and said it was the best three-set match that he ever watched on this surface. Of course, all the people that have watched the match and have the opportunity to tell me something, they’ve all been saying positive things and comments regarding that match. So, I must be very proud.”

– Nole, on the greatest compliment he’s received since his 3 set heartbreaker to Rafa in Madrid.

LanceStern
05-23-2009, 11:53 PM
Novak’s comments regarding Madrid:

“Carlos Moya, we all know he was a former No. 1 and winner of his Grand Slam here, he came up to me and said it was the best three-set match that he ever watched on this surface. Of course, all the people that have watched the match and have the opportunity to tell me something, they’ve all been saying positive things and comments regarding that match. So, I must be very proud.”

– Nole, on the greatest compliment he’s received since his 3 set heartbreaker to Rafa in Madrid.

I need to watch that match again on youtube. It was really good.

The rush I got when I saw those match points by Djokovic. Man if only he had done it! And it was almost nighttime too! That made it even better!

Great player, great skill, very talented, but another euro headcase under pressure. Its a shame because he does have the talent to be one of if not thee best of this generation of players. Hes a tough player on every surface yet has only one slam to show for all of it

He's always been stopped by Nadal and Federer from true greatness. And Roddick got in his way this year at the Australian. He's never been too tough at Wimbledon.

I'd like to see him win a few more too. Maybe after Federer has broken the 14 record and got a french open under his belt though. :)

P_Agony
05-24-2009, 01:09 AM
+ I like his game
+ Game is very controlled and inspiring on clay.
+ He's funny as only God knows

I agree about his game. It's very controlled yet very nice to watch. His natural talent is simply huge.

However, I have to disagree about the attitude. The time-taking, ball bounces, injury timeouts, retiring matches just scream bad sportsmanship to me. Maybe someday where he grows up a little I can become a fan. Until then though, it's easy (for me) to dislike him.

BorisBeckerFan
05-24-2009, 01:23 AM
There is much to like and not like about Novak. I think this is a case where the good outweighs the bad.