PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO - The future of Aussie tennis

mandslucas
02-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi everyone,

If you're like me and almost want to shed a tear at the lack of quality Aussie tennis players, then watch this video:

http://player.video.news.com.au/couriermail/#x3ykS3IWbj9_V1_AU2w3Q12dztXVN_dv

What do you think? Is she world top 10 material?

Feel free to forward on the links to all in the tennis community.

Also, here's the link to read more on Isabella:

http://blogs.news.com.au/couriermail/amandalucas/

S H O W S T O P P E R !
02-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Looks good, but maybe some match play vids would shed some more light on her.

jamauss
02-24-2009, 04:17 PM
I like how in Womens Tennis they still think a girl in her teens playing in a major is something special.

"at 18, Isabella Holland has already played the Australian Open and Wimbledon. Watch her in action."

So... ? Sharapova *WON* Wimby at 17. Lots of girls have played in majors as teenagers. Find something else for your teaser that shows you actually have a clue about pro womens tennis.

Techniques
02-24-2009, 06:17 PM
You never know but chances are very very slim that she'll be top 10. She might not even make top 100. There are so many juniors out there these days- it's very very hard to be "successful" at tennis. It's a tough gig. It's extremely competitive and every % counts> a 1% performance increase can get you over the line against your opponent. Best of luck to Isabella but I doub she'll do much. Good looking girls though, up there with Kirilenko.

edmondsm
02-24-2009, 06:28 PM
I was expecting to see some really young hotshot, like 12 or 13 years old. 18 and I haven't heard of her??? Sorry Australia, but the days of your country and mine (US) dominating tennis are obviously gone.

lawrence
02-24-2009, 07:57 PM
I was expecting to see some really young hotshot, like 12 or 13 years old. 18 and I haven't heard of her??? Sorry Australia, but the days of your country and mine (US) dominating tennis are obviously gone.

haha its kind of sad but true

you guys still have venus and serena though. when they're switched on, no one in the current WTA can touch them.

im just hoping tomic does something impressive soon

Young Pete
02-25-2009, 12:16 AM
that aussie teen plays as flat-footed as the girls on my high school tennis team

jmverdugo
02-25-2009, 03:05 AM
I like how in Womens Tennis they still think a girl in her teens playing in a major is something special.

"at 18, Isabella Holland has already played the Australian Open and Wimbledon. Watch her in action."

So... ? Sharapova *WON* Wimby at 17. Lots of girls have played in majors as teenagers. Find something else for your teaser that shows you actually have a clue about pro womens tennis.

Playing in a Major is definitely special, go to a tennis camp or to a low level tournament, how many girls are there? how many of them will make it to a Major? How many girl teenager have won a Major? make those numbers, you will see that in fact it is special. Most of the girls in the world trying to make a carrer in tennis wont even make it to a final in a tier III event.

equinox
06-24-2009, 11:55 AM
I've watched alenka hubacek, shayna mcdowell, isabelle holland, tyra calderwood, jessica moore at futures and they can hit all the ball ok'ish, maybe top150 quality. But they lack the required killer instinct to go much higher. Probably because of the easy laid back life style we aussies love to live.

Watched Olivia Rogowska win a local open event when she was very young. Seemed impressive and ready to make sacrifices needed for a pro career.

Our girls are late starters, look at nicole pratts achievements late in her career. It's not impossible to be successful after 20. just redefine success. ;)

dincuss
06-24-2009, 12:02 PM

I agree
Like Cilic qualified into the 2004 USO when he was 15

certifiedjatt
06-24-2009, 02:57 PM
i'm sure she'l make the "Guys only..." thread soon.

Rhino
06-24-2009, 03:05 PM
this video must be old, because I remember someone posting this same link ages ago, I've seen the clip.