PDA

View Full Version : Tension Loss...

ThA_Azn_DeViL
02-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Does anyone notice that after about 1 or 2 weeks of hitting that the main strings experience a significant tension loss or is it just me... the ending mains on each side move like 1 meter (exagerated for reasons) when I mishit, and in the contact point about 5-6 mains shift left or right depending on which side I hit the ball...
I'm using poly so thats probably why, but is there a way to counteract this? (Not including string savers, accessories, etc.)

LeeD
02-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Mine seem to always drop around 5 lbs. after the first 3 hours of DOUBLES.
Then it wanders down a bit more for the next 10 hours and stabilizes somewhere near where I like it.

oneguy21
02-24-2009, 04:38 PM
No, strings are strings. There's not much you can do to counter act tension loss. That's why pros change racquets around every 2 hrs. The rest of us have to deal with it.

ag200boy
02-24-2009, 05:00 PM
No, strings are strings. There's not much you can do to counter act tension loss. That's why pros change racquets around every 2 hrs. The rest of us have to deal with it.

haha pros change racquets wayyy more then that during matches... probably every 20-30 minutes

autumn_leaf
02-25-2009, 07:40 AM
Does anyone notice that after about 1 or 2 weeks of hitting that the main strings experience a significant tension loss or is it just me... the ending mains on each side move like 1 meter (exagerated for reasons) when I mishit, and in the contact point about 5-6 mains shift left or right depending on which side I hit the ball...
I'm using poly so thats probably why, but is there a way to counteract this? (Not including string savers, accessories, etc.)

well poly shouldn't move much and as a rule of thumb on this board when it does move it's time to cut it out.

and tension loss is natural. think about 6-10% tension loss in a day after the original stringing without any hitting. and poly tends to lose tension faster than other strings.

LeeD
02-25-2009, 08:23 AM
It's not ONLY the strings that cause the loss of tension.
The grommet holes tend to elongate over a few hours, the strings get "cuts" from each other AND from the grommets.
That's why I string up at 62 lbs., waiting app one week for it to drop to 57 or so :):):)
Me smart ....:shock: