PDA

View Full Version : Gut at higher tensions on a mid

marcb
02-24-2009, 04:50 PM
I just posted this in response to a post in racquets but it probably fits better here. Last year I switched from from a bigish/light racquet to small/heavy in order to reduce some wrist pain. So far so good in that it doesn't get worse but I just can't bring myself to take any time off. I play 2-3 times a week usually consisting of 2 group workouts with lots of drills and a 3.5 league doubles match. I use Advil and ice to manage any pain which is probably compounded by a lot of typing.

I play with a Vantage 90" at 63 flex and about 12.5 strung/gripped. In the past I have used 100% nat gut at 60lbs but found it to be a little more powerful than my flat, low percentage tennis game allows (yes, yes take lessons, hit more topspin. The mind agrees, the body does not follow). I switched to a hybrid putting poly in the crosses to tame the gut some. I use either the Vantage brand (really quite good IMO by the way) or Big Ace. It's a really great setup except for the obvious durability issue. I never break stings but the honeymoon for this setup is pretty short.

So, back to the question. At what tension do you think gut loses it's arm friendliness? The recommended range on this frame is 55-65 but I've not gone over 60 with gut because I figured it loses any benefit in terms of comfort at higher tensions.

I'd love to ditch the poly so, does anyone have experience using gut up in the 65 range on a mid?

Bud
03-02-2009, 10:36 AM
I just posted this in response to a post in racquets but it probably fits better here. Last year I switched from from a bigish/light racquet to small/heavy in order to reduce some wrist pain. So far so good in that it doesn't get worse but I just can't bring myself to take any time off. I play 2-3 times a week usually consisting of 2 group workouts with lots of drills and a 3.5 league doubles match. I use Advil and ice to manage any pain which is probably compounded by a lot of typing.

I play with a Vantage 90" at 63 flex and about 12.5 strung/gripped. In the past I have used 100% nat gut at 60lbs but found it to be a little more powerful than my flat, low percentage tennis game allows (yes, yes take lessons, hit more topspin. The mind agrees, the body does not follow). I switched to a hybrid putting poly in the crosses to tame the gut some. I use either the Vantage brand (really quite good IMO by the way) or Big Ace. It's a really great setup except for the obvious durability issue. I never break stings but the honeymoon for this setup is pretty short.

So, back to the question. At what tension do you think gut loses it's arm friendliness? The recommended range on this frame is 55-65 but I've not gone over 60 with gut because I figured it loses any benefit in terms of comfort at higher tensions.

I'd love to ditch the poly so, does anyone have experience using gut up in the 65 range on a mid?

I think it depends on the frame. The Vantage is a pretty arm-friendly frame... especially the 63 RA model. I had a 70 RA Vantage 90 and it was also pretty arm friendly... not much vibration through the frame at all. However, mine was strung with full natural gut.

First... what was the poly tension, in the crosses, in your setup above with the NG mains?

Next, try one of these setups:

1. Natural gut mains at about 50-55# with soft poly crosses at 45-48#. This also dampens the power of the gut and is fairly arm friendly.

2. Natural gut mains at 55-60# and Gosen Micro crosses (or another fairly stiff SG like PSGD) at the same tension.

3. Natural gut mains at 50-55# and Klip Armour Pro natural gut crosses at the same tension.

marcb
03-02-2009, 11:12 AM
First... what was the poly tension, in the crosses, in your setup above with the NG mains?

Hi Bud, thanks for the response. I have the crosses strung at 58. I just went back to the Vantage poly and have to say that for me, it's a really great choice. But, then of course I still have the issue of arm friendliness and the desire to remove poly from the equation.

Next, try one of these setups:

2. Natural gut mains at 55-60# and Gosen Micro crosses (or another fairly stiff SG like PSGD) at the same tension.
I've thought about a syn gut but get a little lost in the variety of choices. I'll bet I could look back at your posts but I'm here now so do you have an opinion on IsoSpeed pro classic (ie; the Mojo Setup)?

3. Natural gut mains at 50-55# and Klip Armour Pro natural gut crosses at the same tension.
Do you think that this would remain arm friendly at 60#? I really like the idea of going back to full gut.

Thanks!

ag200boy
03-02-2009, 11:14 AM
You said you aren't a string breaker, so i would definitely stay with full gut. You should be fine with gut up in the 63-65 lbs range

jim e
03-02-2009, 11:37 AM
You said you aren't a string breaker, so i would definitely stay with full gut. You should be fine with gut up in the 63-65 lbs range

This is absolutely correct.Good advise.
I string my mid with all VS at 63lbs. and my OS at 64 lbs.Very playable string.