PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a OS Players Racquet.

jd1966
03-02-2005, 09:41 AM
I am considering an OS racquet but like the feel, weight & felxibility of players racquets. I was looking at the Volkl Tour 7, POG OS and the Head Radicals. Any thoughts on these or others would be appreciated...

Thanks, jd

tennisnj
03-02-2005, 10:07 AM
Ixnay on the Tour 7, do you want something as heavy as the POG OS or a little lighter like the Radicals?

jd1966
03-02-2005, 10:15 AM
Why not the Volkl Tour 7 ???

tennisnj
03-02-2005, 10:26 AM
Doesn't do anything real well except for control. No power, lacks spin. Don't look @ the price when considering racquets, just b/c it's cheap doesn't mean it's the right racquet for someone. The other 2 racquets you inquired about are far superior in every way.

kv581
03-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Head Radicals, depending on the edition, may or may not be lighter than POG OS. Pre-Ti Radicals are 12oz+ sticks, but they are harder to find these days.

wao
03-02-2005, 11:41 AM
Both the head and POG are good sticks. The head that i did play with i loaded some lead at 3 9 and 12 then counterbalanced under the handle.
I just demo'ed the POG after a long hiatas from it and I was not disapointed
with the overall proformance. It was sluggish at the net as IMO most O/S racquets are. My suggestion is to DEMO and find the one that fits you and your game.
Wayne

twocents
03-02-2005, 11:52 AM
I had a good year (USTA 4.0/4.5 doubles) with a I-Rad oversize last year. I demoed the Lm OS Radicals this year - not much pop. I also demoed a POG a while back- too heavy.
I bought 2 Prince Oversize Sharks and am playing the best tennis of my life. I think they're great. I hate the name and color.
It fits MY game: moderate to extreme topspin. Two handed backhand.
My weakest part of of my game was my serve. Not any longer. It has increased the power/control on serve,groundstokes, and volleys.
My 2 cents.

altawolfe
03-02-2005, 12:35 PM
you can't go wrong with the I Rad oversize. Very, very comfortable, stable and predictable. Read the TW review, it's pretty accurate IMO. You can adjust the tension north of max if you need to tame the power.

radical tourist
03-02-2005, 01:08 PM
The Tour 7 plays with plenty of power and spin with the addition of an ounce of lead between head and handle and matched to my '98 Radicals. That'll cost you $30 for the matching and it's still cheaper than a new frame. Other good choices are the Prince NXG OS, POG OS, TiRad and iRad OS frames, and the PK 15G PSE (or whatever replaced it in the new Ionic line.) Ixnay on the LM Rad. The feel is a bit too vague.

netman
03-02-2005, 05:22 PM
If you are cheap take a look at the Bandit OS. Add about an ounce of weight (mostly in the handle) and you'll have a very nice OS with a good blend of power and control. You can pick them up cheap these days. The extra weight is key. Without it the Bandit is too light and "tinny".

The new Prince Air DB looks like the offspring of a Bandit/ Warrior union. Might be an interesting demo.

tennisnj
03-02-2005, 07:11 PM
I've demoed the new Air DB & it's currently in my bag. I don't like it @ all. MUCH MUCH too head heavy, lacks control & had a power rating that is comprable to the Shark & Hornet. As a replacement for the Bandit or Warrior I'd say it fails miserably. I used to play w/the Bandit OS before moving to Volkl. Netman's description of the Bandit is accurate, it's definately worth the cheaper price & more. I never needed to add extra weight, but, if you needed it heavier, I too would add it in the handle.

gotwheels
03-02-2005, 07:26 PM
The Bandit OS is a good stick. I have some in grip size 1,2,4,&5 at a good price if you have any interest. You can e-mail me at fortytolove@yahoo.com.

joeman957
03-02-2005, 08:58 PM
I use an i.Radical OS, great racket.

equinox
03-03-2005, 03:52 AM
My pick of the bunch would be the pog.

drak
03-03-2005, 04:09 AM
Pro Kennex 15G PSE in either old or new (Ki) version is a fine racket with a 105 head size.

Drak

maj13
03-03-2005, 07:30 AM
jd1966; if you want to give a pre-Ti Radical a try, I have a 1998 Radical Tour OS with 4 1/2 grip in great shape that weighs 11.8 ounces strung (no modifications other than overgrip). I'm looking to sell or trade it, so shoot me an email if interested. Thanks,

-Mike
mjhung@umich.edu

monologuist
03-03-2005, 10:23 AM
Prince TT Warrior OS

netman
03-03-2005, 10:36 AM
tennisnj know his OS racquets so I would take his advice seriously.

I would not have guessed the Air DB would be such a disappointment. It truly did look like a hybrid of the best features of the Bandit, Warrior, and Hornet. I guess the experiment when awry.

-k-

gmlasam
03-03-2005, 01:52 PM
Head Radicals, depending on the edition, may or may not be lighter than POG OS. Pre-Ti Radicals are 12oz+ sticks, but they are harder to find these days.
Yes the first three generation Radicals prior to the Ti Radicals were 12 oz. But, the third generation, the one pictured on the left is much more flexible and plays very sweet and buttery feel compared to the first two generation. The Radical on the right is the second generation.

http://www.csun.edu/~aml45386/radicals1.jpg

http://www.csun.edu/~aml45386/radicals2.jpg

tennisnj
03-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Netman, I appreciate the compliment, but I wouldn't go as far as saying I know my OS racquets, maybe the Prince 'tweener/game improvement OSs' I do. I would say the Air DB is more Hornet then Bandit or Warrior, but that's mainly b/c of the power level. 1020 for the OS is much higher then either the Bandit or Warrior. To me, it had even more power then the Shark & Attack (which according to power levels it is more powerful), so that is accurate at least. I just think the Air DB is way, way too head heavy for the users Prince is trying to target. Personally I think a game improvement stick like this (even though I didn't demo or buy it for that purpose), shouldn't be that head heavy. A far cry from what i'd like to call the Air DB's grandfather: the Prince Synergy DB OS.

Revman
03-03-2005, 06:41 PM
Ti Radical OS with approximately 0.4 ounces (total) added at 3 and 9 o'clock provides a good blend of power and control. Kirschbaum Touch Turbo 17 contributes to that blend as well. The Prince Warrior comes close but the feel and feedback aren't quite as good as with the Ti Radical.

"Summer breeze makes me feel fine,
Blowin' through the jazz men in my mind."