PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestion on string type?

Helfrich77
02-24-2009, 06:36 PM
i used to use just regular prince synthetic gut, but had switched about a year ago to synthetic gut on the crosses and big banger on the mains. I just got a raquet back with just prince synthetic gut again and i hit so much better with it. My question is if anyone knows a string that last longer that has the same feel as prince synthetic gut.

jimstorm
02-25-2009, 07:35 PM
gosen og sheep is good.
I like that better than prince syn gut, but my favorite string is gosen OGJC. It dosent break for a while, but it will lose its tention.

Luminous
02-26-2009, 05:54 AM
+1 for Gosen OG Sheep

Valjean
02-26-2009, 09:03 AM
Prince makes two well-known and widely-available synthetic guts now--Prince's Orginal Synthetic Gut (POSG) and their Synthetic Gut With Duraflex (PSGD).

Which do you have in now?

Helfrich77
02-26-2009, 06:33 PM
It the duraflex prince snythetic gut, and the feel is good. But i break a racquet a week

Zach
02-26-2009, 06:57 PM
What gauge are you using now in the PSGD?

The_Question
02-26-2009, 07:45 PM
I hate to say, Gosen OG Sheep doesn't last longer than Prince Syn Gut.

Maybe try Prince Syn Gut w/Dflex...

jim e
02-26-2009, 08:19 PM
It the duraflex prince snythetic gut, and the feel is good. But i break a racquet a week

You break a racquet a week? You must have a bad temper, and a bunch of broken racquets, so the string type should not matter, as it would not need to last long.

AVTENNIS
02-26-2009, 08:40 PM
^^ I think he's talking about his strings breaking weekly lol

BumperJeep
02-27-2009, 08:53 AM
I just got a reel of Gosen, I'll let you know. I just got to get on the court to try it out. Its really cheap in a reel.

mikeler
02-27-2009, 10:14 AM
PSGD is no good for string breakers. I used it for about 6 months but got tired of taking an hour out of every weekend restringing. I'm now using it as a cross string with Big Ace poly in the mains and loving it.

Helfrich77
03-03-2009, 05:08 PM
how does the poly feel compare to a synthetic gut

Valjean
03-03-2009, 05:13 PM
"Polyester - a very durable string designed for string breakers-not much power or feel. Polyester strings became very popular with ATP players, because it provides added durability, doesn't move and 'deadens' the stringbed. While this isn't a desirable feature for most recreational players, it is for many of todays ATP and (some) WTA players. They're bigger, stronger, swing faster and use more powerful racquets than players from the past. Often used in hybrids, combining polyester mains with softer synthetic or natural gut mains. This offers the durability benefits of polyester, while reducing the stiff, dead feel. Also easier to string than 100% polyester. Not recommended for beginning players or players with arm injuries."

blue12
03-03-2009, 05:33 PM
If gosen lasts longer than psg it's not by much, and I think it's quite a bit stiffer and boardy feeling compared to psg. It is cheap though I got a reel of 660 for $29 which comes out to about $1.80 per set.
I just started using psg in my mains and gosen in the crosses, on the suggestion of somebodies post. It actually feels really good.

If you string looser they'll last longer.

blue12
03-03-2009, 05:40 PM
Does anybody know of a string that feels like NXT but is more affordable? I heard someone talking about one but I can't remember which one they said.