PDA

View Full Version : Ozzies to the rescue - tell me about this Slazenger!

Virginia
02-24-2009, 06:47 PM
I got two of these recently - they were designed in Australia and made in Taiwan - very handsome they are too.

Can you tell me anything about them - like when they came out?

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_4gdlQm-LraY/SaSs29q-8bI/AAAAAAAAAgI/5wLLXivbWFc/s800/Slazenger%20Gold%20Challenge.JPG

Virginia
02-24-2009, 06:50 PM
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_4gdlQm-LraY/SaStLYszKII/AAAAAAAAAgQ/c89_RC5vDKY/s800/Slazenger%20Gold%20Challenge%20%282%29.JPG

Kirko
02-24-2009, 07:06 PM
I know this much the leather grips that were printed either slazenger or dunlop like the one above were very very nice , tacky and porous leather grips.

plasma
02-24-2009, 07:06 PM
looks to be a late 80's mold similar to the panther pro ceramic which Connors played. Exceptional frames with a soft touch and a muted feel. Slazngers molds were bought by Estusa (taiwan)who pushed the puma empire into collapse as well....the panther pro ceramic was high performance racuqet like the ps 85, but easier to play...since this is Boron it might be very stiff and powerful, I'm guessing many Boron gold frames at the time were emulating the Prince Boron.

jimbo333
02-24-2009, 07:10 PM
looks to be a late 80's mold similar to the panther pro ceramic which Connors played. Exceptional frames with a soft touch and a muted feel. Slazngers molds were bought by Estusa (taiwan)who pushed the puma empire into collapse as well....the panther pro ceramic was high performance racuqet like the ps 85, but easier to play...since this is Boron it might be very stiff and powerful, I'm guessing many Boron gold frames at the time were emulating the Prince Boron.

Yes, this racquet looks similar to my Slazenger - Jimmy Connors Pro Comp Boron, really nice racquet:)

Virginia
02-24-2009, 07:21 PM
You're dead right - the molds are identical - I just checked. The bumper guard and grommet strips are different though and my Panther Pro was made in West Germany.

galain
02-24-2009, 11:43 PM
Looks very very similar to the Slaz Panther Boron which was a 1984 release. It may even be the same frame - after all, it's been, what, 25 years?

plasma
02-25-2009, 02:03 AM
Jimbo likes his Pws at 12, we see it with Connors Panther Pro Ceramic, The Estusa Pro Legend, and the lead tape he used on his Mono.