PDA

View Full Version : Sponsored?

thewisteron
03-02-2005, 10:37 AM
I don't know where to post this, so I will post it here. Every now and then I see posters saying they are "sponsored" by companies. How do you get sponsored? I thought only the pros get this luxury?

ClemsonTennis9
03-02-2005, 11:06 AM
most of the people here have the player preffered program which is not a full sponsorship, you just get a certain percent off the retail price. with Dunlop i got 4 racquets, bag, stencil, and 10 sets of string for about 325 dollars. what you can do to get them is to email the company and they will send you a player preffered sheet. The catch is that you have to have a certain ranking to get the player preffered program.

Geezer Guy
03-02-2005, 01:01 PM
You've just got to get out there, thewisteron, and show them what you're made of.

I was playing in a big match at my local club, using my trusty Prince racquet, wearing Adidus shoes, and Nike duds. That day there happened to be representatives from Nike, Adidus, Prince and Wilson at the club for a meeting with the head pro. The head pro was a bit late, so these guys were watching my match for awhile, although I didn't know who they were. After awhile the Wilson guy took off, but the others stayed. I had one of those rare GREAT matches that day - EVERYTHING was working much better than normal. Anyway, after the match these guys call me over. They ask me how often I play, where I play, etc. I tell them I play all the time, all over town. They glance at each other, and look kinda worried. Finally the Prince guy says he'll pay me $100 if I'll never play with a Prince racquet in public again - says something about their reputation being in serious trouble. Then the Nike and Adidus guys throw in similar offers. By this time I catch on, and I hold out saying how much I like their products. However, after awhile they all chip in together, and say that if I'll use only WILSON products they'll throw a little sumpin-sumpin my way every year. I agreed, and they left laughing about how the Wilson guy will never leave early again. So, I'm a Wilson guy now. Wilson's tried banning me, but as long as I can get their stuff annonymously over the internet, they can't stop me!

That's MY success story.

NoBadMojo
03-02-2005, 01:12 PM
they have various programs...often college players and juniors get discounted goods on a package, but other players are 'free-listed' and get a few frames free a year, along with a bag., strings, maybe some clothes, and other stuff. typically you earn your way to something like this, either as a ranked player and/or a respected teaching pro, etc..someone that has impact who can stimulate sales of the product line.

danniflava
03-02-2005, 01:50 PM
Well, for me, I play in the Under 16 Ontario Tennis Association. What would my ranking have to be?

TommyGun
03-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Danni,

I would suggest you look up the local rep for Volkl or that Canadian company someone mentioned herer before. You also might want to contact TTK or heck, tulios.com. You will have a better chance with a lesser known brand. When you get to the big guys, you have to have some reason for them to give it to you or you have to be able to generate sales.

aj_m2009
03-03-2005, 02:15 AM
Danni,

I would suggest you look up the local rep for Volkl or that Canadian company someone mentioned herer before. You also might want to contact TTK or heck, tulios.com. You will have a better chance with a lesser known brand. When you get to the big guys, you have to have some reason for them to give it to you or you have to be able to generate sales.

Tommy, what are some other lesser known companies? I play 14 and under USTA tournaments. I am ranked like 412 I think in the Missouri Valley rankings. My record ain't great but I have only played 2 tourneys. It says I am 1-4 but it is actually 2-4 but one guy I played didn't have a membership but the tournament let him play anyway so that match didn't count. But I know if I played more I would have a lot better record, especially if I could play worth something in the morning.:) And right now I can't play a lot so my record will probably stay like that for a little while. Anyway, any type of endorsement would help right now so if you, or anyone for that matter, could give me some info on this topic it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

copek
03-03-2005, 02:23 AM
Finally the Prince guy says he'll pay me $100 if I'll never play with a Prince racquet in public again - says something about their reputation being in serious trouble. Then the Nike and Adidus guys throw in similar offers.

hi geezer guy,

maybe i'm being a bit slow here (it has been known ;-)), but why would they pay you NOT to use their products if you are using them to good effect all around town?

C

verdasco67
03-03-2005, 03:31 AM
I don't know where to post this, so I will post it here. Every now and then I see posters saying they are "sponsored" by companies. How do you get sponsored? I thought only the pros get this luxury?

Not only professional tennis players get sponsored....coaches and juniors also get sponsored...

scez
03-03-2005, 03:43 AM
Where in Ontario do you play tennis dani?

mrwise
03-03-2005, 04:23 AM
Copek...
Here is a clue. Geezer is probably not the best player. So I am guessing that they were going to pay him to not use a Prince racket because he was sucking so bad. Makes sense. I get offers all the time like that. hehe

Kaptain Karl
03-03-2005, 04:36 AM
I was playing in a big match at my local club, using my trusty Prince racquet, wearing Adidus shoes, and Nike duds. ... <snip> ... after awhile they all chip in together, and say that if I'll use only WILSON products they'll throw a little sumpin-sumpin my way every year. I agreed, and they left laughing about how the Wilson guy will never leave early again. So, I'm a Wilson guy now. ... <snip> ...

That's MY success story.

Geezer - Your post has been nominated for KK's Post Of The Year award. (And it's only March!)

That was great!!!

- KK

copek
03-03-2005, 05:00 AM
Copek...
Here is a clue. Geezer is probably not the best player. So I am guessing that they were going to pay him to not use a Prince racket because he was sucking so bad. Makes sense. I get offers all the time like that. hehe

aha ... a classic case of missed sarcasm through the written word! and me brit too ... in that case my sponsorship offers should be flooding in soon!

predrag
03-03-2005, 08:19 AM
hi geezer guy,

maybe i'm being a bit slow here (it has been known ;-)), but why would they pay you NOT to use their products if you are using them to good effect all around town?

C

You are being slow. It was a joke :D

Geezer Guy, that was AWESOME :D

Regards, Predrag

TommyGun
03-03-2005, 10:56 AM
aj,

I wouldl try Bancroft, ttk, cayman, X-45 and Pro Kennex. All can be found by doing a google search or their addresses are in Tennis Magazine.

t-gun

aj_m2009
03-03-2005, 02:31 PM
aj,

I wouldl try Bancroft, ttk, cayman, X-45 and Pro Kennex. All can be found by doing a google search or their addresses are in Tennis Magazine.

t-gun

How exactly do you think I should go about trying to get a sponsorship deal?

Kaptain Karl
03-03-2005, 02:50 PM
aj - Haven't you been paying attention to this thread? The answers are within it. (We're not going to DO IT for you....)

- KK

aj_m2009
03-03-2005, 03:13 PM
aj - Haven't you been paying attention to this thread? The answers are within it. (We're not going to DO IT for you....)

- KK

Yes I have paid attention to what was posted but I asked Tommy what HE thought. I wanted to know if HE thought I should wait around for someone to come to me or if HE thought I should just go right up to them.

tennisboy87
03-03-2005, 03:46 PM
I play 14 and under USTA tournaments. I am ranked like 412 I think in the Missouri Valley rankings

I hate to sound mean or anything, but you are not going to get any type of sponsorship deal with a ranking of 412 in the Mo Valley. You'll need to at the very least get into the top 25, and most likely the top 10. I also play in the Mo Valley, and I'll tell you a good way to get your ranking up for this summer. If you can qualify for the Supers, that would be great, but you'll probably need to play in some of the Futures events, which are sectional events that many ranked MV guys play in. You can get into these even with a high ranking, and you can use these to help you play some good sectional competition. If you play in 2 or more of these, you can also play in the Championship Sectional in August in OK, which is a bigger sectional event and it carries some national points as well. I would say start with these, and with a lot of hard work, your ranking will get up there. Once it's high enough, you can then look into getting a preferred player type deal or maybe even a full sponsorship deal.

aj_m2009
03-03-2005, 04:51 PM
I hate to sound mean or anything, but you are not going to get any type of sponsorship deal with a ranking of 412 in the Mo Valley. You'll need to at the very least get into the top 25, and most likely the top 10. I also play in the Mo Valley, and I'll tell you a good way to get your ranking up for this summer. If you can qualify for the Supers, that would be great, but you'll probably need to play in some of the Futures events, which are sectional events that many ranked MV guys play in. You can get into these even with a high ranking, and you can use these to help you play some good sectional competition. If you play in 2 or more of these, you can also play in the Championship Sectional in August in OK, which is a bigger sectional event and it carries some national points as well. I would say start with these, and with a lot of hard work, your ranking will get up there. Once it's high enough, you can then look into getting a preferred player type deal or maybe even a full sponsorship deal.

Don't worry, you don't sound mean. I didn't really figure with that ranking I could get a sponsorship deal but I just wanted to know for future reference. Right now I kinda figure that I still have a little way to go to get up pretty high if I compare my self to I think he is the 17 ranked kid in Mo. Valley. I had to play this kid in the first match of the last tourney I played and he hit the crap out of the ball. Unfourtuantely I'm not capable of doing that at the current moment so I am going to try throwing people off with a lot of spin. If you take a look at Emilie Loit you can really tell it works. At least on the womens side anyway. But anyway, I wouldn't be real suprised if I wont be able to hit hard for a couple of months anyway. I have only been playing for just over 3 years but I have progressed pretty rapidly in that time. I would like to play more tourneys but like I said, right now I can't. But I plan on playing a few tourneys in the summer and I plan on playing an ITF tourney in October.

Well, sorry to leave you a book but I have trouble shutting-up sometimes. And thanks for the advice.

NoBadMojo
03-03-2005, 04:54 PM
good post TennisBoy.....I dont think AJ should be spending his energy trying to get sponsored..not yet..i would suggest to AJ to work hard on his game, have fun with it, play lots of tourneys, and look towards getting near the Top of the 16's, and then contacting companies..i think it would probably take Top10, and that would fetch maybe some preferred pricing on a package

aj_m2009
03-03-2005, 07:56 PM
good post TennisBoy.....I dont think AJ should be spending his energy trying to get sponsored..not yet..i would suggest to AJ to work hard on his game, have fun with it, play lots of tourneys, and look towards getting near the Top of the 16's, and then contacting companies..i think it would probably take Top10, and that would fetch maybe some preferred pricing on a package

Don't worry, I'm not trying yet. I know I still need to get a lot better to get a sponsorship deal. Like I said, I just wanted to know for future reference.

TommyGun
03-04-2005, 01:32 AM
aj,

No harm in trying. Many of the smaller companies are trying to get market share and know that if you start young you will usually be brand loyal for life. I suggest you write to each one, tell them your tennis plans, ask if they are interested in helping you on your way. DO NOT ASK FOR SPONSORSHIP, ONLY HELP. Typically a company will judge you on that. At 'your age they may send you a couplel of frames and string, and make sure that you stencil the frames at all times and use them at all times.

It doesn't hurt to try, the only thing they can say is no.

t-gun

P.S. - Back in the day, when I first started, they only ranked the first 50 in NJ in each group. I was in the top 100 in my group in Jersey, I asked for some help and Spalding sponsored me for two years. I got two frames and two years worth of natural gut, which even then was valuable.

If Spalding were ever to get back in the game, I'd be grateful and probably go back and use their stuff because of that generosity.

aj_m2009
03-04-2005, 01:59 AM
Ok, thanks Tommy. Hopefully I will have the same fortune as you did. And one last thing. Should I write them or e-mail them. To me it would seem a little more professional to write but nowadays it may really not matter.

Thanks for all of your help.

TommyGun
03-04-2005, 06:29 AM
Both.

Can't hurt to email them and follow up in writing.

Keep us informed...

aj_m2009
03-04-2005, 01:48 PM
Tommy,

I just got through e-mailing Pro Kennex. Hopefully they will be as generous to me as Spalding was to you.

mutt
03-05-2005, 01:27 PM
Do you know which are the prices of the "help sponsoring deals" of some companies?

danniflava
03-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Where in Ontario do you play tennis dani?

Brampton. GTA. Near Toronto, about 30 mins. away from DOWNTOWN Toronto. I play at the Chingacousy Park Tennis & Curling Club.

danniflava
03-05-2005, 02:45 PM
I am really interested in getting sponsored because I have a twin who plays just as much as me, and I guess we're good for our age, and how long we've been playing. Anyway, tennis is becoming a huge burden on our family. I want a coach, but because it's ALWAYS x2 with twins, my family can't afford it. If I want a new racquet, my mom's gonna have to splurge out $400.00 for me AND my brother.

TommyGun
03-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Tennis is expensive. And your parents aren't alone. Many recent very good players here in Jersey are twins.

Sponsorship with coach won't come at your ages unless you can already show a good potential return on investment. I'm currently looking at a 1/10 sponsorship of a girl currently practicing in England. The share is 10,000 GBP. And she has some potential of return on the pro tour, but not huge. If I sign up, its a three year committment, so figure about $50K US before I'm done, and that is before she has ever really earned a cent. She has shown some potential at the lower levels to be a top 50 player, so she might actually get "sponsored".

Best you could hope for is a racquet deal. Like I said in another post, write those companies on the fringe. Let them know that you guys are twins, how much of a burden it is for the family, and ask if they could help you in anyway. Worst case is they say no, better case is they give you preferred pricing, and best case is they give you some frames and string.

As for the coach, find a local player in their 30's or 40's who used to be ranked or is a great player. Ask them if they'd be willing to work with you, and see what happens.

Good Luck.

danniflava
03-05-2005, 05:06 PM
Tennis is expensive. And your parents aren't alone. Many recent very good players here in Jersey are twins.

Sponsorship with coach won't come at your ages unless you can already show a good potential return on investment. I'm currently looking at a 1/10 sponsorship of a girl currently practicing in England. The share is 10,000 GBP. And she has some potential of return on the pro tour, but not huge. If I sign up, its a three year committment, so figure about $50K US before I'm done, and that is before she has ever really earned a cent. She has shown some potential at the lower levels to be a top 50 player, so she might actually get "sponsored".

Best you could hope for is a racquet deal. Like I said in another post, write those companies on the fringe. Let them know that you guys are twins, how much of a burden it is for the family, and ask if they could help you in anyway. Worst case is they say no, better case is they give you preferred pricing, and best case is they give you some frames and string.

As for the coach, find a local player in their 30's or 40's who used to be ranked or is a great player. Ask them if they'd be willing to work with you, and see what happens.

Good Luck.

Thanks! Don't feel sorry for me, though, LOL.

NoBadMojo
03-05-2005, 05:07 PM
Danni look around and see if there are any youth organizations formed in Toronto for tennis. Where I came from I started a non profit called 'Serve the Youth Foundation'. we always had some good racquets around for free to the deserving and those who could not afford.. you dont feel you need brand new $200 racquets do you? we would also donate some teaching time to those kids who showed the most real interest and had the most potential, plus doing some group things that also got the parents involved in tennis and more involved in a positive way with their kids...toronto is a huge city..i bet there are people up there doing what i was doing. maybe start with a Google search and see what you come up with. something like this seems alot more likely than getting sponsored..in spite of what some may think, getting sponsored really isnt very easy and alot of company's are running a tight ship these days with tennis racquets being a very competitive bsiness.

danniflava
03-06-2005, 06:18 AM
Danni look around and see if there are any youth organizations formed in Toronto for tennis. Where I came from I started a non profit called 'Serve the Youth Foundation'. we always had some good racquets around for free to the deserving and those who could not afford.. you dont feel you need brand new $200 racquets do you? we would also donate some teaching time to those kids who showed the most real interest and had the most potential, plus doing some group things that also got the parents involved in tennis and more involved in a positive way with their kids...toronto is a huge city..i bet there are people up there doing what i was doing. maybe start with a Google search and see what you come up with. something like this seems alot more likely than getting sponsored..in spite of what some may think, getting sponsored really isnt very easy and alot of company's are running a tight ship these days with tennis racquets being a very competitive bsiness.

NoBadMojo,

My family's not in debt! It's just that myself and my brother want to take our careers in tennis further, and the best way to do that is to get a coach. We know a coach who is really nice, really good, and goes to our club, but he's also really expensive. He charges $20.00/hour. 3 times a week is $60.00. Then you need to multiply $60.00x2=$120.00. $120.00x4 weeks a month is $480.00. $480.00x3 months out of the year is $1,440.00. That's just too expensive.

With the racquet I have now, my mom spent $400.00 in one hour looking at racquets that we wanted, and she never let us hear the end of it. She's not very tennis-oriented, so when she says not to throw our racquet, it's not for courtesy, it's because she doesn't wanna go buy us a new one if it breaks!!

mutt
03-06-2005, 06:36 AM
Who have a player preffered program? What is the price of somes player preffered program? What we got when we buy it?

aj_m2009
03-08-2005, 11:40 AM
Tommy, still haven't heard from Pro Kennex yet. If they don't e-mail me back by Friday I will e-mail the next company. Or should I give them a bit more time then that?

TommyGun
03-08-2005, 03:24 PM
aj,

You clearly are tooo impatient. First, the companies will not be getting back to you necessarily fast. They could respond instantly, or months later. If you are looking for something that fast then you best chill. Also, your approach is all wrong, and I thought you understood. My bad.

Now, what I suggest is that you email ALL of the companies you might be interested in at the same time. You need to understand that at your level you aren't going to really get a preference. You are looking for ANYONE to bite. Like with Spalding, which was NOT a racquet of great repute at the time, you may get a response from a smaller or new company (I'm thinking you might also want to try technifibre). They also won't necessarily give you much of a choice.

"Sponsored" at your level means "grateful to get free stuff or at least be offered preferred pricing". If you have that mindset, you will be fine. If you are just looking for a particular frame from a particular company, ain't gonna happen.

Lets say a company like TTK is willing to give you free frames. You could get a frame close to what you like from their line. It may not match or be exactly what you are looking for. You can always have your racquet customized by a good local tech, so even a marginal free frame will be good or great.

Hope you understand better. Like a wise man once told me, why fish with a line and a single hook when you have a fishing net?

Hang in there aj, better days are coming.

tommygun

aj_m2009
03-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Tommy,

I know I am really impatient but I am just used to people e-mailing me back like asap.

And what I was going to do was just e-mail one at a time and take the first offer I got, if I got any. But I guess I will e-mail the others now.

Thanks for all of your help and sorry I didn't get it the first time.

TommyGun
03-08-2005, 04:00 PM
No problem,

You can still take the first offer you get, but you will have more success by mass emailing and then waiting for a response.

Good luck and keep me posted.

aj_m2009
03-08-2005, 04:11 PM
Tommy,

I just e-mailed cayman, bancroft, and technifibre. Hopefully at least one of the four I e-mailed will be generous.

acedu
03-08-2005, 04:19 PM
Hey i played once in front of head got a sponsorship stright up withing 10 minutes. Thats how you have to do it

aj_m2009
03-08-2005, 04:30 PM
Hey i played once in front of head got a sponsorship stright up withing 10 minutes. Thats how you have to do it

I would do it this way but I never have a chance to play in front of someone from a racket manufacturer. I don't belong to a club or anything and the only time I get to play at one is when I play tournaments.

tennisbiz333
03-08-2005, 04:38 PM
do you think i would have any chance of getting even a partial sponsorship. I am ranked #8 in singles and #1 in doubles in my state

TommyGun
03-08-2005, 04:57 PM
tennisbiz,

definitely. surprised you aren't already, unless you are like 12 years old.

MSendor
03-12-2005, 01:30 PM
Hello, I am kinda new to this website and i got here trying to find out how to get sponsored for tennis. I am pretty good in tennis in the area i live in, but it's pretty hard for me to get in tournaments and buy new raquets and shoes since there are 4 other siblings in my family not including my parents. My question is who do you send a letter in those tennis-related companies, asking for their help in what they can offer?

I am 14, a couple months away from my 15th b-day, and a freshman if this can help you.

Thanks In Advance.

Kaptain Karl
03-12-2005, 04:05 PM
MSendor - You should read the first two pages of this thread. Your answers are there....

- KK

Marius_Hancu
03-12-2005, 04:21 PM
I hate to sound mean or anything, but you are not going to get any type of sponsorship deal with a ranking of 412 in the Mo Valley. You'll need to at the very least get into the top 25, and most likely the top 10.

heard about the same, you must be at least in the top 20 in a state in US. not sure how big Mo Valley is:-)

aj_m2009
03-12-2005, 04:28 PM
I would try to get ranked in OK but you have to play a couple of tourneys that cost like $55 apiece and I kinda don't have $110 dollars for 2 tournamnets. And the national tourneys cost even more. I've seen one that was like $95, which is a stupid price. And I would much rather play in ITF tourneys. They cost less and they give a world ranking.

tennisboy87
03-12-2005, 04:52 PM
Marius, the Mo Valley consists of players from the states of Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, and some from Illinois.

aj_m2009
03-12-2005, 05:48 PM
Yeah, lots of people. There are the 400 something(which unfortunately I am still in the 400's but am now at 401) that are ranked then like another 200 that are ineligible.

mido
03-12-2005, 09:06 PM
aj and other juniors

For US companies like Prince for full sponsorship you must be in Top 50 in NATIONAL USTA ranking AND be evaluated by Prince Pro in major National tournament.
For partial sponsorship you should be in around Top 250 in USTA NATIONAL ranking.
They don't care much about Sectional or State ranking (unless you are top ranked in Florida, So. California or Texas).
For European companies like Head - they want your National rankings and International ITF rankings!
Here is the link to current B14 National USTA rankings:
http://usatennisflorida.tournaments.usta.com/tournaments/rankings/rankinglists.aspx?id=100714

aj_m2009
03-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the info mido. And do you know anything about companies like Technifiber, Cayman, Bancroft, and Pro Kennex or any other smaller companies?

tennis ace
03-13-2005, 03:28 PM
can somebody give a link to website where you can apply for a sponsorship

MSendor
03-14-2005, 07:54 PM
Is there a possibility that a company not related to tennis could sponsor you or me?

mido
03-15-2005, 05:27 AM
Prince just made harder for juniors to get sponsored.
For full sponsorship instead of 50 you must be in Top 25 in National USTA rankings.
For partial sponsorship instead of 250 you must be in Top 150 in National USTA rankings.

Ash_Smith
03-15-2005, 05:48 AM
Tommy Gun, who is the player you might be sponsoring? Just wondering if I know her?

TommyGun
03-15-2005, 10:03 AM
Jarmila Gajdosova. One of Heffernan's kids...

aj_m2009
03-15-2005, 10:25 AM
Isn't she fairly high in the junior ranks Tommy? I pretty sure she is highly ranked or she got fairly far at the junior AO. Am I correct?

TommyGun
03-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Yes, she is, but she is at the highest level, and her sponsorship requires big dollars and other aspects.

Most of the people we are talking about here, like yourself, are the kind that can get racquet sponsorships.

I think I said it earlier, you got to be hugely ranked to get super sponsorship with coaches and the like.

aj_m2009
03-15-2005, 11:10 AM
Well, it is cool that you get the chance to sponsor such a high level junior. I would certanily jump at the chance to help out a fellow tennis player.

aj_m2009
04-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Tommy, I still haven't heard squat from the companies.

TommyGun
04-07-2005, 07:47 PM
aj, it might still take a while. Since I don't know exactly what you wrote, I couldn't tell you if or when they will get back to you. Try politely emailing them again, this time something like this:

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is ________. I am currently playing on my high school tennis team, and am ranked _______ in the state. I am working hard at improving and making my game the best it can be.

I have been looking at using a different frame that might suit and improve my game better then my current ______. After looking at your frames, I believe you have frames that may be the key to opening up may game and taking me to the next level.

If I may ask, can you help me choose a frame in the line that would more suit my level and skills? Is there any opportunity for me to play with your frames and also help you out in any way?

Thank you for your attention and for taking my inquiry. I can be reached at _______________ or emailed at _______________.

Thank you again,

Maybe the approach you tool originally was just off.

tommy g

aj_m2009
04-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Ok, thanks. I will use what you said but, of course, I will fill in the blanks.:p I'll let you know what they say when they say it.

aj_m2009
04-07-2005, 09:22 PM
Ok, I e-mailed Power Angle. I was going to e-mail Pro Kennex also but I couldn't find an e-mail address. Anyway, thanks again.

AJ

matchpoints
04-07-2005, 09:24 PM
aj and other juniors

For US companies like Prince for full sponsorship you must be in Top 50 in NATIONAL USTA ranking AND be evaluated by Prince Pro in major National tournament.
For partial sponsorship you should be in around Top 250 in USTA NATIONAL ranking.
They don't care much about Sectional or State ranking (unless you are top ranked in Florida, So. California or Texas).
For European companies like Head - they want your National rankings and International ITF rankings!
Here is the link to current B14 National USTA rankings:
http://usatennisflorida.tournaments.usta.com/tournaments/rankings/rankinglists.aspx?id=100714

Go New Braunfels! Sorry I'm a little excited, but that boy Ryan is gonna kick butt when he gets older. He's barely 12 years old at the moment and already #4 in 14's.

Btw, Dunlop Preferred Players Program is so much better then Babolat's. For Bab, it's 3 racquets, 6 strings, bag, grips, t-shirts, hat, for $375. Dunlop you get 4 Racquets :)

I hear Wilson wants a top 10 ranking in the nation now for full sponsorhip?

Anyhow, usually coaches (the ones I've met) that are endorsing a certain company can get their students some deals on equipment. Best of luck AJ!

Btw, he's 14 or under and online. Geez, whatever happened to kicking the cans at age 14?

aj_m2009
04-07-2005, 09:28 PM
...Best of luck AJ!...

Thanks, I may need it.:)

Indiantwist
04-08-2005, 04:19 AM
What is this ITF ranking? is it also available for 3.5+ players?

aj_m2009
04-08-2005, 05:44 AM
Tommy, I got an e-mail back from Power Angle, it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. Anyway, here is what they said to me just incase you care(which I imagine you do):

PowerAngle rackets will improve your playing, by giving added spin, added speed on serve, excellent control and power, and your arm will get less tired as PowerAngle disperses the impact better than conventionally strung frames.

If you use a midsize frame, you might want to playtest a Power98/k frame. You demo one at www.tennis-warehouse.com, and if you want to purchase that frame, you can do so from that company, too. Another option is to try the Power102 which is a lighter racket, with slightly larger headsize than the 98 square inches of the Power98.

Good luck with your tennis, and hopefully you will Go Diagonal!

She apparently didn't get what the e-mail was for.:)

aj_m2009
04-08-2005, 05:45 AM
What is this ITF ranking? is it also available for 3.5+ players?

To get an ITF ranking you need to play in ITF tournaments. It is really just like the pro rankings but for juniors.

Crash1211
04-08-2005, 06:33 AM
Just a thought, instead of just shooting off an email I would try a hand written letter. You might get better results because the will see you took the time to write them. I hope it helps some.

wtennis206
04-08-2005, 06:47 AM
aj,

if the companies you email dont offer you anything, try going to local proshops and see if they can do anything for you. im playing 16's and didnt have a high enough ranking to get a sponsorship or anything, but a local proshop gives me 4 frames, a bag, clothes, and FREE STRINGING for a year for $320. not a bad deal. good luck.

johnmcc516
04-08-2005, 06:55 AM
NoBadMojo,

My family's not in debt! It's just that myself and my brother want to take our careers in tennis further, and the best way to do that is to get a coach. We know a coach who is really nice, really good, and goes to our club, but he's also really expensive. He charges $20.00/hour. 3 times a week is $60.00. Then you need to multiply $60.00x2=$120.00. $120.00x4 weeks a month is $480.00. $480.00x3 months out of the year is $1,440.00. That's just too expensive.

With the racquet I have now, my mom spent $400.00 in one hour looking at racquets that we wanted, and she never let us hear the end of it. She's not very tennis-oriented, so when she says not to throw our racquet, it's not for courtesy, it's because she doesn't wanna go buy us a new one if it breaks!!

My Coach costs us $40/hr, so I go for half an hour (way too short) but she shows me some technique stuff, then I go and practice it with my dad. So 1/2 hr each week is all I get.

aj_m2009
04-08-2005, 07:24 AM
My Coach costs us $40/hr, so I go for half an hour (way too short) but she shows me some technique stuff, then I go and practice it with my dad. So 1/2 hr each week is all I get.

Well, at least you can still get a little coaching, I can't really get anything in my current situation, that is why I was trying to get a little help from a company. But right now both of my parents are going to college and working jobs so I don't really have a lot of time to go and practice either(and these jobs don't really seem to pay much even though they pay quite a bit). We don't have the money to get me any coaching, get me new rackets when I need them, get a new string job when I need it, enter tournaments, the list seems to go on and on. I was just recently blessed enough to get the money to get myself a new pair of shoes to replace the ones that I had to wear for over a year. So john, I just want you to know that there are people like myself that don't have it nearly as good as you do.

aj_m2009
04-08-2005, 07:25 AM
And I want to thank you guys again for all of your help.

TommyGun
04-08-2005, 09:34 AM
Hey AJ, at least you got a response from Power Angle this time. You can tailor the letter now and ask POLITELY at the end if they sponsor junior players and if there is an opportunity for you to be one of those players.

Good luck, and keep hitting winners...

aj_m2009
04-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Ok Tommy, thanks. I'll be sure to make it as polite as possible.

Thanks for all of your support,
AJ

aj_m2009
04-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Tommy, I e-mailed Power Angle again giving them a little info about my current situation and asking them if there was any way they could help me while I do everything possible to help them in return. I hope I didn't do anything wrong.

Thanks again,
AJ

lefty10spro
04-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Just to clear things about sponsorships. I have been a teaching pro for 22 years and there are only 2 ways to be sponsored. Be a teaching pro who can generate sales or an extremely highly ranked player in any age category. Note the word "extremely". Preferred player deals are easier to land and often aren't very good "deals".

Doc Lefty
04-11-2005, 11:31 AM
Just to clear things about sponsorships. I have been a teaching pro for 22 years and there are only 2 ways to be sponsored. Be a teaching pro who can generate sales or an extremely highly ranked player in any age category. Note the word "extremely". Preferred player deals are easier to land and often aren't very good "deals".

lefty10spro has hit the nail right on the head regarding the sponsorships.

I've been sponsored by racquet and clothing companies since I was a junior and it has always worked that way. For instance, I'm currently sponsored by Prince and get free frames/bags/strings from them, and their requirements are a top-20 national ranking in singles. I'm also getting free clothing and shoes from Adidas, and their requirements are about the same. A number of other factors come into play sometimes, as well.

Case in point: I had knee surgery last year and didn't play and lost my national ranking (I was nationally ranked in the Men's 35s and 40s), but neither company took away my deals. It all depends on the relationship you have with your rep, basically.

Lately, some of the kids I work/train with have been asking me about getting "hooked up" with a racquet company, but I've also been noticing that they're getting pickier too, meaning that so many people are requesting sponsorship that their requirements are higher.

Just something to think about.

aj_m2009
04-11-2005, 12:03 PM
lefty10spro has hit the nail right on the head regarding the sponsorships.

I've been sponsored by racquet and clothing companies since I was a junior and it has always worked that way. For instance, I'm currently sponsored by Prince and get free frames/bags/strings from them, and their requirements are a top-20 national ranking in singles. I'm also getting free clothing and shoes from Adidas, and their requirements are about the same. A number of other factors come into play sometimes, as well.

Case in point: I had knee surgery last year and didn't play and lost my national ranking (I was nationally ranked in the Men's 35s and 40s), but neither company took away my deals. It all depends on the relationship you have with your rep, basically.

Lately, some of the kids I work/train with have been asking me about getting "hooked up" with a racquet company, but I've also been noticing that they're getting pickier too, meaning that so many people are requesting sponsorship that their requirements are higher.

Just something to think about.

This is the reason that I am contacting the smaller companies and not big companies like Wilson or Prince.

matchpoints
04-11-2005, 01:32 PM
This is the reason that I am contacting the smaller companies and not big companies like Wilson or Prince.

Sometimes smaller companies don't have the luxury (financial freedom) of giving stuff away.

aj_m2009
04-11-2005, 06:23 PM
Sometimes smaller companies don't have the luxury (financial freedom) of giving stuff away.

That is also they reason I asked if they could help me out, not necessarily give me anything but give me a(very large)discount or something like that. And I was going to e-mail Pro Kennex, since they are a big smaller company, but I couldn't find an e-mail address or anything.

aj_m2009
05-28-2005, 03:53 AM
Ok, forget Power Angle. I'm thinking about maybe sending in a form to Volkl in a few months(or longer lol), but for now, does anyone have any other ideas? What is the smallest racquet company you know of lol? Thanks to everyone who has helped.:)

AndrewD
05-28-2005, 05:25 AM
aj_m2009,

a lot of the folks here have mentioned that in your situation (and most people's situation) sponsorship would only be in the form of a 'preferred player' deal. So that's still going to require some outlay of cash. Also, as someone mentioned, you might not be offered exactly the frame you want. Perhaps the best idea would be to work out exactly what it is you want, in terms of equipment, and how big a difference there would be between you buying it yourself and getting it via a 'preferred player' deal.

If you say, 'I need, at minimum, shoes, 2 racquets and 10 sets of strings' then how much would it cost you to buy those through TW or another outlet. 10 sets of Head Synthetic Gut PPS (fine quality string so ignore the low price) would set you back $40. You're using, I believe, the Wilson Tour95 so two of those would cost between $150 and $200. Shoes are, roughly, $40 for excellent quality but not current season. All up that comes to $230-$280 and, no doubt, you could get better prices on the frames.

How much would the 'preferred player' deal cost you for similar? It might be marginally cheaper and would include a bag (which isn't essential, just useful) but it isn't the massive saving some might think.

Secondly, ask yourself what else you can do to further your tennis. You can't rely on mum and dad, except for support, as they don't have the money to spare at the moment. So, you need another approach. Do you have local clubs and local coaches that you could offer your services to in return for a lesson here or there? Is there a local sports shop or pro shop you can work in and get better pricing through?

When I was a kid my family couldnt afford tennis lessons either. So, I went down to the local club and in exchange for bagging and watering the courts (clay), picking up all of the balls after and during a lesson and running errands here and there for the pro I received 'free' coaching. I also picked up a lot of tips just by watching him teach other people.

Necessity is the mother of invention and, out of necessity, you need to find a way to get ahead. Focus only on those things which are absolutely necessary for your tennis and don't let incidental things distract you. Sponsorship is incidental and nowhere near as important as practise and, if you can find some way to get it, coaching.

Aj, there is one other avenue to investigate. Which are the colleges or universities in your area that you'd be most likely to attend post high school (assuming you go on to college)?

aj_m2009
05-28-2005, 06:16 AM
Thanks Andrew, but you guys just don't know my situation. It's a lot more complicated than it seems. I'm blessed just to have the stuff I have really.

I would love to do work at a club for a few free lessons, but I have no way of getting there. My parents are always at school or at work and it is way to far for me to ride a bike.

And I understand that the preferred player program still costs money but any help I can get I'll take.

And I plan to go to college, just not after I graduate. I want so badly to make it as a pro that I'd do just about anything. I mean I already have an IPIN so I can play futures events and stuff, and I have only played 3 tournaments in my life(but no. 4 is coming up next week!!!)and I'm almost 14. If that doesn't give you any idea of what I want so badly than I don't know what will.

Sometimes I feel like a fool for wanting what I want, but that's what I want and I'll do(almost)anything in my power to do it. I really appreciate the ideas I have been given but it really does me no good if none of the companies want to help and I have very little money.

AndrewD
05-28-2005, 06:31 AM
aj_m2009,

the reason I asked about college is that some have sponsorships in place with the various racquets companies. One I know about, unfortunately not in your area, is Ferris State which has a deal with Head. Perhaps you could scout the colleges and/or universities in your vacinity and see if they have anything similar. If they do, you could contact the tennis programme, let them know what your situation is and strongly suggest that their institution is the one you'll be targeting when you finish High School (I realise it isn't your immediate intention but you dont need to tell them and it does leave you with some scope should your plans change). They might be able to suggest something far more relevant to your location or provide a useful contact.

Otherwise, Im a bit stumped. How do you practise if the clubs are too far away? Do you have a tennis team and coach at school? Are the tennis shops or sports stores too far as well? Let us know what your exact situation is and we might be able to come up with some other ideas. There's a way around everything if you put your mind to it so we'll see what we can think of.

Think you might have missed my point with the preferred player scheme. I was suggesting that the cost of the scheme might work out to be the same or more than you'd pay just buying product that isn't current season.

aj_m2009
05-28-2005, 06:42 AM
That pretty much explained the majority of it. My parents are gone half of the time, I go practice with my dad at a public tennis court maybe twice a week at night, and I'm not exactly related to Bill Gates.

I'm not on a tennis team, so like I said I just practice with my dad when I have a chance. And practicing with the same person for 3 years isn't going to take me as far as I'd like. And I don't know anyone else that plays so I'm pretty much screwed in that case.

All of the clubs and stores that I know of are half way across town so, like I said, I can't really ride a bike that far and still be alive lol.:p

Well I'll try to explain more later but for now I have to leave.

Be back in about 11 hours lol.

aj_m2009
05-29-2005, 01:47 AM
Sorry it took me so long.:(

Anyway... I really don't know what else there is to explain. I don't get to practce much, and I've gotten very little coaching and I can't really afford more. I have no way to get anywhere to be able to make any money so I can afford it so.... yeah, I'm pretty much screwed right now unless I can get a little help from someone.

If you or anyone else have any other suggestions please post them.

Thanks again guys,
AJ

AndrewD
05-29-2005, 02:42 AM
aj_m2009,

I guess the first major hurdle would be your lack of practise time. I think you need to have a brainstorming session on that one alone.

Perhaps (and you might have done this already) you could post a message in the Instruction section. Address it to the coaches who come on to this board like NoBadMojo or BungaloBill. They might have some really good suggestions as to how you can maximise the very little practise time you have on court and what you might be able to do off court.

Also, sponsorship doesn't have to just be through the racquet companies, although they are obviously the best ones. You could look at targeting sporting goods stores etc to see if they would be willing to sponsor you or provide some kind of generous discount. I think that's definately an area you should consider.

At the colleges your mother and father attend, do they have tennis teams? If they do, perhaps you could contact them and ask for some advice. Even think about contacting the USTA in your region and going through the same process.

You might get a lot of rejections but you've got to leave no stone unturned. If, out of 100 letters, you get one offer then its all been worth it.

Wish I could offer more ideas. Will keep it in mind and if anything crops up or I see something that may be useful somewhere on the net I'll post it up for you.

federer_nadal
05-29-2005, 02:47 AM
It seems like you are a descent player, so why dont you ring up some people who are old enough to drive and ask them to hit with you, if u are as good as you sound they wont turn down the offer and they can pick you up. I know how it is not having your mum and dad there, my mum has 4 jobs and dad is a merchant seamen who is away for 6-7 months at a time. As for your racquet crisis, you have to live near people?? right, so ask if you can do jobs for them to save enough money. With the tournament coming up you may get spotted by talent scouts

aj_m2009
05-29-2005, 02:56 AM
aj_m2009,

I guess the first major hurdle would be your lack of practise time. I think you need to have a brainstorming session on that one alone.

Perhaps (and you might have done this already) you could post a message in the Instruction section. Address it to the coaches who come on to this board like NoBadMojo or BungaloBill. They might have some really good suggestions as to how you can maximise the very little practise time you have on court and what you might be able to do off court.

Also, sponsorship doesn't have to just be through the racquet companies, although they are obviously the best ones. You could look at targeting sporting goods stores etc to see if they would be willing to sponsor you or provide some kind of generous discount. I think that's definately an area you should consider.

At the colleges your mother and father attend, do they have tennis teams? If they do, perhaps you could contact them and ask for some advice. Even think about contacting the USTA in your region and going through the same process.

You might get a lot of rejections but you've got to leave no stone unturned. If, out of 100 letters, you get one offer then its all been worth it.

Wish I could offer more ideas. Will keep it in mind and if anything crops up or I see something that may be useful somewhere on the net I'll post it up for you.

Thanks Andrew, you really help me a lot.

The college they go to doesn't have a team so I doubt they could help. And the USTA section I'm in is about as helpful as garbage.

I'll post something in the tips section like you suggested.

And I'm thinking about doing something but I'm not going to say anything about it(don't worry lol, it isn't anything bad).

Again, thanks a lot.:)

aj_m2009
05-29-2005, 03:06 AM
It seems like you are a descent player, so why dont you ring up some people who are old enough to drive and ask them to hit with you, if u are as good as you sound they wont turn down the offer and they can pick you up. I know how it is not having your mum and dad there, my mum has 4 jobs and dad is a merchant seamen who is away for 6-7 months at a time. As for your racquet crisis, you have to live near people?? right, so ask if you can do jobs for them to save enough money. With the tournament coming up you may get spotted by talent scouts

I don't know if I'm as decent a player as it seems I've made myself out to be, but I have imporved a ton in the last few months.

I would call up someone but I don't know anyone really, or anyone that plays anyway.

I do obviously live near people but the houses that those people(plus myself and my family)live in are owned by the school that my parents go to. So they have people come out and do all of the work etc... so that wouldn't work very well. But in a few months I should be old enough to work at a grocery store so I might be able to get a job there.

The tournament that I'm playing is fairly small and it seems to have some pretty good players in the draw, but I know I can win, I just have to keep my cool and play my best lol. If-I mean when-I win I may send in an application form to Volkl applying for sponsorship, and then I'd be praying that they do decide to sponsor me. Anyway... I doubt anything with a scout would happen, but you never know, it's possible.

But like I said in my last post, I'm thinking about doing something(which shall remain unknown to you all lol, sorry)that might help me.

Thanks for your help.:)

zorg
06-26-2005, 01:23 PM
I am not going to bother to read the whole thread, so can you just answer my question. There is a coach in my tennis club who I can get to be my coach. Anyways, he was sponsored by Nike and Wilson when he was playing. These are my 2 favorite companies for tenis racket and tennis apparel. How can he help me with the sponsorships, I saw Tommy say something to the affect of a coach that was sponsored.

krnboijunsung
06-26-2005, 03:40 PM
aj you seem like you're very determined about going pro and working hard to get good at tennis. Getting help from racquet companies will be hard though without going to many tournaments, especially since you're only going to your fourth one as of now.

But keep working at it. Like almost everyone said, tennis stores or clubs help also. My friend is like a 2.5 or 3.0 player and he got discounts on his Htours and his wilson bags, so there is always a way to get help. It may not be a full sponsorship, but I'd rather take a discount than take nothing at all.

Figure out ways to get more active in more tounaments, and good luck.

LogicSound
06-26-2005, 04:00 PM
hi geezer guy,

C

Thats exactly what im thinking, maybe they thought he was terrible and was embarassing there company by using "their products" and thought by getting him to use willson products it would deminish they're sales. i dunno sounds really fishy.

SageOfDeath
06-26-2005, 06:26 PM
A previous poster said that he gets offers not to use their products. I wish I got offers like that!!! But then again I'm not THAT bad but it would be nice to get SOME sort of benefit other than FUN and GOOD HEALTH from tennis. Where are the discounts, free stuff, and DOUGH?!?!

SageOfDeath
06-26-2005, 07:01 PM
A previous poster said that he gets offers not to use their products. I wish I got offers like that!!! But then again I'm not THAT bad but it would be nice to get SOME sort of benefit other than FUN and GOOD HEALTH from tennis. Where are the discounts, free stuff, and DOUGH?!?!

schaefferm46
06-26-2005, 07:07 PM
aj
My advice would be to go to the local tennis shop and learn as much as you can about stringing and rackets. I would watching the stringers for a couple of hours and get friendly with them. If you break a string go to the store and ask if u can barrow a stringer and get the cheapest strings. If you study and work hard maybe u could work there.

B5002
06-29-2005, 07:13 PM
I was wondering if anyone knew the requirements for the dunlop preferred player program and what you get with it. Thanks!

timmyboy
06-29-2005, 08:39 PM
You've just got to get out there, thewisteron, and show them what you're made of.

I was playing in a big match at my local club, using my trusty Prince racquet, wearing Adidus shoes, and Nike duds. That day there happened to be representatives from Nike, Adidus, Prince and Wilson at the club for a meeting with the head pro. The head pro was a bit late, so these guys were watching my match for awhile, although I didn't know who they were. After awhile the Wilson guy took off, but the others stayed. I had one of those rare GREAT matches that day - EVERYTHING was working much better than normal. Anyway, after the match these guys call me over. They ask me how often I play, where I play, etc. I tell them I play all the time, all over town. They glance at each other, and look kinda worried. Finally the Prince guy says he'll pay me $100 if I'll never play with a Prince racquet in public again - says something about their reputation being in serious trouble. Then the Nike and Adidus guys throw in similar offers. By this time I catch on, and I hold out saying how much I like their products. However, after awhile they all chip in together, and say that if I'll use only WILSON products they'll throw a little sumpin-sumpin my way every year. I agreed, and they left laughing about how the Wilson guy will never leave early again. So, I'm a Wilson guy now. Wilson's tried banning me, but as long as I can get their stuff annonymously over the internet, they can't stop me!

That's MY success story.

man, u must really suck or something!

lol. jk. how did that work anyway?

wtennis206
06-29-2005, 08:55 PM
aj-
Don't give up! Did you ever try talking to sporting goods stores?? I got a free racquet just by making friendly with a manager at Dick's Sporting Goods (LM Radical).

aj_m2009
07-18-2005, 07:43 AM
I just wanna say thanks to everyone that has offered ideas, I really grately appreciate it.

But I have one last question: How did the people that get help from the sports stores go about asking for the help? I mean I dont wanna just go up to the manager and say "hey, ya wanna help me while i try to become a pro player?" lol, imo that'd be kinda dumb. So if any of you could, just give me some ideas on what to say.

Again, thanks to everyone, you all really have no idea how much you've helped.

TennisD
07-18-2005, 07:54 AM
Sponsorship is tough. But sometimes you get lucky. Hell, I just contacted a company one day as a joke, and now, if all goes well, I might sign a clothing contract soon...

aj_m2009
07-18-2005, 08:03 AM
LMAO hell, maybe i should try that.:p now to find the number for adidas.;)