PDA

View Full Version : What a hard sport tennis is !

Aykhan Mammadov
03-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Despite I'm training 3 times a week regularly by 1 hour each, I was expired and exhausted completely and almost was dead yesterday since had a match continuing 2 hours 10 minutes. Believe, we played only 2 sets: 3:6, 6:2 finally. Almost in all games there was Duce. We agreed also for tie-break after 1:1 in sets but I refused since I didn't have any strength to stay on the court any more.

Today my all muscles everywhere in the body hurt me.

I imagined myself PROs staying on the court sometimes 4-5 hours, AND THIS IS happening every day say on some tournament, they must play every day. From my opinion this is unbelievable, this is so hard ! Imagine amateur box - 9 minutes, Professional box is around 36 ( or 60?) minutes, wrestling and etc. In all these 2 men sports sportsmen are concentrated completely for shorter period than in tennis. I'm not talking about team sports where you are not alone so the tension is not probably so high. Tennis is impossibly hard and probably the hardest sport. Isn't ?

ChrisNC
03-02-2005, 12:23 PM
I'd rather spend 4-5 hours on a tennis court w\ a Professional tennis player than 36 (or 60) minutes in a boxing ring w\ a professional boxer.

GrahamIsSuper
03-02-2005, 02:26 PM
Having participated in both Tennis and Collegiate Wrestling, I can tell you that those 9 minutes against another guy/girl your weight and strength is way harder than running back and forth on a tennis court.

Not to mentioning the IMMENSE load of conditioning you have to do in order to just SURVIVE those 9 minutes. If you want to get skinny, you become a wrestler, or as my coach said, a "Wrassler".

Scheiner
03-02-2005, 03:43 PM
I can name sports that are harder than tennis: Hockey, Football, Rugby, Boxing, Wrestling, Water Polo, and basically everything else that involves running.

Aykhan Mammadov
03-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Scheiner, in which meaning do u consider them harder ? Were u tired more after playing football 1.5 hours in the team with ur friends or after playing tennis match during 3 hours ? Do you mean harder to learn them or you mean they are physically harder.

IMO marathon running ( record there is approximately 2 h 4 minutes) is maybe harder than tennis match continuing 4-5 hours.

goober
03-02-2005, 06:57 PM
Despite I'm training 3 times a week regularly by 1 hour each, I was expired and exhausted completely and almost was dead yesterday since had a match continuing 2 hours 10 minutes. Believe, we played only 2 sets: 3:6, 6:2 finally. Almost in all games there was Duce. We agreed also for tie-break after 1:1 in sets but I refused since I didn't have any strength to stay on the court any more.

Today my all muscles everywhere in the body hurt me.

Sorry dude you are probably not in very good shape. Tennis is not hard compared to other sports in terms of physical endurance.

First you need to stop the smoking. You did do that didn't you? Start training your cardio and hit the weights. Lose some fat and gain some muscle.

I played a 3 hour and 20 minute match the other day. There is NO way I could box, wrestle or even run for that long.

Aykhan Mammadov
03-03-2005, 10:17 AM
goober, u are right. Naturally I'm not so physically strong man. There are a lot of men much stronger and even having much much more endurance than me. I really did smoke but I gave up 5 years old.

What I wanted tell is that tennis is very hard sport.

norcal
03-03-2005, 10:46 AM
I couldn't break that nasty habit until I was 7!

morten
03-03-2005, 12:19 PM
Aykhan... gave up smoking 5 years old..! ...wise move man.

ibemadskillzz
03-03-2005, 12:34 PM
tennis is easy sport. I play all the sports in the world. tennis is easiest

Aykhan Mammadov
03-03-2005, 02:52 PM
Sorry, misprint, I was a little drank. I wanted to write "5 years ago".

Kaptain Karl
03-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Then you cannot blame the smoking. (Assuming you didn't smoke your whole 35+ years, you recover about 95% of your lung health within 6 months.)

This means you need to work on your cardio. Do you run? Do you stretch after exercising and playing tennis? (Stretching really helps your rapid recovery.)

- KK

Aykhan Mammadov
03-03-2005, 04:02 PM
Not at all Kaptain Karl, I did stretching when was very young, on the carpet.

Really I'm very lazy for that and for running, fitness and etc... Tennis is the only saving ring for me. Just doing some push-ups and lifting 3 kg dumb-bells to recover elbow problem. But I have changed from i.Prestige Mid to Tour 90, it is more demanding undoubtly but also more secure for my elbow definetly. It helps me a lot to recover, my pain is reducing.

Aykhan Mammadov
03-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Kaptain Karl, I gave up smoking at 34, now I'm 39. Do u mean that 6 month later after giving up I recovered my lungs for 95% ?

Kaptain Karl
03-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Kaptain Karl ... Do u mean that 6 month later after giving up I recovered my lungs for 95% ?Yes. Something like that. (I don't remember the exact statistic. Just that your lungs recover very quickly ... so long as you haven't already achieved "diseased status.")

- KK

Phil
03-03-2005, 06:29 PM
Yes. Something like that. (I don't remember the exact statistic. Just that your lungs recover very quickly ... so long as you haven't already achieved "diseased status.")

- KK

Your lungs may recover, but those cancer cells stay there, no only in the lungs-an "ex" smoker may be off the stuff for years and still develop a smoking-related cancer. In my opinion, if you start smoking, and do it for years, then even if you do quit, there's still a chance-a good chance-that you've given yourself a death sentence. The upside is if you quit, you have LESS of a chance of getting cancer than if you continue. But the chances are still exponentially higher than for someone who never smoked.

dAgEnIuS
03-03-2005, 06:33 PM
i wouldn't say tennis is PHYSICALLY hard,
but i'd tennis itself is very hard...
it takes people 1~2 yrs just trying to actually hit groundstrokes and serve fluently..
but even after mastering them, playing matches is another completely different phase....

Baseline Basher
03-03-2005, 07:27 PM
Drink lots of water, and sleep lots. Work out. Listen to music during changeovers, before, and after matches. Plus, headphones can intimidate people if they hear loud, angry noises booming into your head.

raftermania
03-04-2005, 11:53 AM
How do you know the reaction is intimidation? Do you see fear in their eyes when you turn on your "angry noises?"

Baseline Basher
03-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Indeed I do.

battousai555
03-04-2005, 08:14 PM
Haha. I gotta try the headphones thing. Watch out Federer!