PDA

View Full Version : Gasquet needs to work on his forehand

ESP#1
02-25-2009, 07:29 AM
This guy has a great backhand and has improved his serve and made it a weapon, he has been s & v alot these days which is awesome but how are you going to survive at the top of todays mens game if you cant dictate play with the forehand? i mean i see em pushing it back sometimes with no pace like almost a floater slice:???:

your thoughts please

thejoe
02-25-2009, 07:35 AM
I agree. Check this out. It displays his forehand at its weakest at points. He can hit winners with it, but his rally forehand is so passive.

http://www.vimeo.com/2902674

Satch
02-25-2009, 07:38 AM
his FH is very poor......

ShcMad
02-25-2009, 07:58 AM
I agree. Check this out. It displays his forehand at its weakest at points. He can hit winners with it, but his rally forehand is so passive.

Great seats.

While I'm in no position to critique a pro's form, I still think Gasquet's forehand has a ton of room for improvement. Just look at the video, Junqueira isn't hitting too hard on those rally shots, but when he hits to Gasquet's forehand side, Junqueira is getting short and relatively low-pace balls that he can take advantage of. It seems to me that Gasquet can't produce deep forehands with consistency. The video shows how much Gasquet's backhand penetrates deep and hard into the court in comparison to his forehand.

tahiti
02-25-2009, 08:11 AM
I think Gasquet needs to improve more than his forehand.

I just love Gasquet's style of play though.

ESP#1
02-25-2009, 01:52 PM
I cant really understand how someone could have such a great backhand yet is unable to develop a forehand, the forehand is a much easier shot, hes been serving great, thats the only thing saving his game

Gorecki
02-25-2009, 02:03 PM
im sorry but gasquet doesnt have a great backhand...

he has "The Backhand"

SoBad
02-25-2009, 02:06 PM
Bolelli should do a better job of tucking his neckchain into his shirt. The earring is OK though.

nikosrf
02-25-2009, 02:28 PM
He must have a continental grip (allmost). That's why it seems so ugly.
But overall Gasquet is one of the most complete players on the tour

saram
02-25-2009, 02:38 PM
He either needs to improve the forehand or find a way to work the point construction to get more cracks at the ball with his backhand. I too, am surprised at how much better his backhand is than his forehand.

flying24
02-25-2009, 02:45 PM
He definitely needs to improve his forehand. His biggest problem is his rally forehand isnt nearly good enough. He just needs to practice it, maybe even break down the technique somewhat.

aimr75
02-25-2009, 03:56 PM
Great seats.

it was a great vantage point, they are my clips of the AO.. i also have some clips of them warming up, so he is taking it easy with the forehand, and to say the least it looks like a very awkward stroke.. it sort of does look like he is holding a continental style grip

Ripster
02-25-2009, 04:20 PM
If he could just tweak it a bit by shifting more towards a western grip. Maybe hit through the ball a bit more.

thalivest
02-25-2009, 04:23 PM
He definitely does. The forehand is the most important shot in mens tennis today, well other than the serve, but I think the serve and forehand are no closer together as the most important shot than ever before (after all Nadal and Federer are the ones dominant, not Roddick). Really he could improve every part of his game outside the backhand, but the forehand is the shot he has to improve the most if he is evere going to really make the bigtime (no one major semi and a stint in the top 10 is not making the bigtime).

sheets
02-25-2009, 05:17 PM
I was talking to my coach about a forehands to watch and model my own on, and he told me not to even think of Gasquet's. He says its super loose he has several different strike zones that vary from shot to shot, no structure. That's why it goes from fantastic to short and week. Personally I don't mind his loopier forehand but only when he gets it deeper into the court.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
02-25-2009, 05:22 PM
I dunno why he uses such a looping forehand a la Nadal. A regular across-the-body flat forehand would be a huge plus in his game. If he could also start believing that he CAN win, he will.

edberg505
02-25-2009, 05:33 PM

Just his rally forehand? His whole game seems too passive. Of course this is determined by who he's playing against. It does seem like he's changing his mind frame though. I've noticed that since the beginning of the year he's starting to come in more. But he needs to take a stance on the baseline and stop falling back so far behind the baseline. That's why whenever he plays Nadal the first set is usually close, with him winning it, then the just fades away. It's because he's spent by that time. He either needs to a: become an ironman cardio wise or b: stand closer to the baseline.

SempreSami
02-25-2009, 06:45 PM
I dunno why he uses such a looping forehand a la Nadal. A regular across-the-body flat forehand would be a huge plus in his game. If he could also start believing that he CAN win, he will.

I agree. I saw his match at Queen's against Nalbandian and he's fantastic to watch, but he seemed to bottle it when it became squeaky bum time in the decisive games in the match.