PDA

View Full Version : The AGONY and ECSTASY of Roger Federer

tennispassion
02-25-2009, 08:09 AM
The future champion's rise is talked as much as is discussed the current champion's downfall. Roger Federer's string of losses to in-form youngsters is the talk of the town.

Read the complete article on www.tennisearth.com

or go to URL

http://www.tennisearth.com/news/tennisNews/The_AGONY_and_ECSTASY_of_Roger_Federer_981649.htm

tahiti
02-25-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm happy to finally hear someone write of Fed's bitterness. Nice article, thanks.

The moment Fed had his first big loss they zoned in on his downfall. They could have rather concentrated on the spectacular achievement of the young Spaniard. Though that probably doesn't make Fed happy either. He's used to being the GOAT at least in the eyes of the press.

Maybe when Fed just accepts he is second best at the moment, and enjoys a taste of the same medicine he's been giving others, he'll achieve his end goals too. Nasty comments he made about female tennis which is the only time when I don't really agree with his arrogancy.

edmondsm
02-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Not bad. I think the author is a bit mellow dramatic.

I don't understand why there was such a fuss over Federer's comments on Jankovic becoming #1. He was right. We don't want people getting to the top of the rankings without performing at the majors. That's why the rankings system was re-worked when Rios got to #1, and that's why it was re-worked again this year to put more weight on the majors.

Cyan
02-25-2009, 08:24 AM
I don't think a player should become #1 without winning a slam. Really.

random1
02-25-2009, 08:47 AM
I don't think a player should become #1 without winning a slam. Really.

By extension, does any #1 have to hold a slam in the trailing 12 month period?

RoddickistheMan
02-25-2009, 10:00 AM
I like how people try to doctor up all these ideas aobut why feder has been sucking. I believe the main reason why hes struglling is the lack for pace on his forehand. It is no longer a deadly shot as it used to be. He seems to not be getting as much shoulder rotation as he did in the past which is leading him to arm the ball amres so than usual. If you go on youtube you will notice i think its the vid federers forehand from 02 to present.

skip1969
02-25-2009, 10:14 AM
am i supposed to give credence to fed's "bitterness" cos jankovic thought he spoke out of turn? as if she should throw stones at anyone. she's very quick to give her opinions when a mike is put in front of her. and fed did the same.

i agree with edmondsm . . . no big deal. just another mountain out of a molehill.

veroniquem
02-25-2009, 10:19 AM
OK, 1 sentence in that article made me literally jump out of my skin: "Federer's only competition is Federer himself". It's one thing to focus on Federer's predicament rather than on Nadal's achievement, taking Nadal out of the picture entirely is taking it a notch too far maybe?

Nadal_Freak
02-25-2009, 10:24 AM
OK, 1 sentence in that article made me literally jump out of my skin: "Federer's only competition is Federer himself". It's one thing to focus on Federer's predicament rather than on Nadal's achievement, taking Nadal out of the picture entirely is taking it a notch too far maybe?
It said that? Ridiculous. All Fed needs is more of an ego boost that he decides the matches. :rolleyes:

babbette
02-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Federer's *** kissers need to smell Rafa's Lanvin.:(

ksbh
02-25-2009, 10:26 AM
That's one of the lines that makes me think the whole article is worthless.

ksbh
02-25-2009, 10:26 AM
There are too many of them. The line will be too long :)

Federer's *** kissers need to smell Rafa's Lanvin.:(

ksbh
02-25-2009, 10:27 AM
Tell that to Sampras!

It said that? Ridiculous. All Fed needs is more of an ego boost that he decides the matches. :rolleyes:

P_Agony
02-25-2009, 11:55 AM

I don't think the author meant Federer doesn't have a competition besides himself tennis-wise. I mean, afterall he did mention the rising stars Nadal, Murray, Joker and Simon. I think he meant that in the mental level. Federer's mental game is purely a weakness these days, and the only one who can improve that is Federer himself. That doesn't mean he will start beating Nadal or Murray, it just means Fed will not be blocking himself mentally, and it might help his game, and maybe then he'll be able to get some wins against those guys.

AJK1
02-25-2009, 12:22 PM
I agree, Federer is his own worst enemy at the moment, his mental state is his what he needs to get over in order to beat the other guys.
Also, he has every right to offer his opinions on all facets of tennis, whether good or bad i like to hear their opinions on such matters. That's not being arrogant, it's just telling it how it is. Good on him.
I like Nadal as a player, but i find him too quiet on tennis matters in general, i would like to know his opinions rather than hide behind his facade of politeness. He doesn't seem too bright to me so maybe he doesn't have any opinions.

icedevil0289
02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
I agree, Federer is his own worst enemy at the moment, his mental state is his what he needs to get over in order to beat the other guys.
Also, he has every right to offer his opinions on all facets of tennis, whether good or bad i like to hear their opinions on such matters.
I like Nadal as a player, but i find him too quiet on tennis matters in general, i would like to know his opinions rather than hide behind his facade of politeness. He doesn't seem too bright to me so maybe he doesn't have any opinions.

Just because someone is polite and does not want to get into controversy does not mean he or she is not bright. I don't know where you get that nadal is not bright.

rubberduckies
02-25-2009, 01:12 PM
I like how people try to doctor up all these ideas aobut why feder has been sucking. I believe the main reason why hes struglling is the lack for pace on his forehand. It is no longer a deadly shot as it used to be. He seems to not be getting as much shoulder rotation as he did in the past which is leading him to arm the ball amres so than usual. If you go on youtube you will notice i think its the vid federers forehand from 02 to present.

Kind of like what you proceed to do in the following sentences?
If you watch youtube highlights of any player, you are watch their best shots, their winners. You are not watching their actual tennis game.

As for the "Federer's only competition is himself" line, I gave the author the benefit of the doubt and assumed he was talking about Fed's decision to skip Dubai and Davis Cup, which he mentioned in the previous sentence. During that time, Fed literally will have no competition in the form of other players.

Joseph L. Barrow
02-25-2009, 01:18 PM
I think the fuss over Federer's remarks on Djokovic and Jankovic is badly overblown. He wasn't going around "shoving his nose in other people's business," but rather reporters asked him what he thought about those things, and he gave honest, straightforward, reasonable answers. Saying that the ranking system shouldn't allow for someone to reach #1 without winning a Grand Slam is not a slight on Jankovic; in fact, as I recall, he went out of his way to say something like "no disrespect to Jelena" as he said this- it's just an opinion on how the rankings system should be run, given when asked for. Similarly, it's just plain undeniabe that Djokovic has a history of retirements, particularly retirements in big matches, and that it isn't a shock to see him retire in a Grand Slam match. Thus, when asked a question to that effect, Federer responded candidly and accurately. I'm somewhat bugged by the element in the tennis public that is so obsessed with political correctness that they're offended when players don't lie and/or refuse to acknowledge obvious truths when confronted with them. Federer's behavior was not vulgar, rude or malicious, and he didn't go substantially beyond simply and plainly answering what he was asked.