PDA

View Full Version : Dubai, I'm surprised somewhat to see players drinking alcohol during tournament

christo
02-25-2009, 09:47 AM
One would think players would drink booze between events, not during them. We hear all this endless chatter about fitness and diet, ad nauseum, obviously some of the players like Joker don't think it's a big deal to have a few pops. BTW there is quite a lot of evidence that even a beer or two will affect your on court performance, let's not even bring up the Islamic ban on alcohol, you wouldn't know that by watching the video of the player party in Dubai, looks like a royal **** up to me

Oui, c'est moi.
02-25-2009, 09:49 AM
One would think players would drink booze between events, not during them. We hear all this endless chatter about fitness and diet, ad nauseum, obviously some of the players like Joker don't think it's a big deal to have a few pops. BTW there is quite a lot of evidence that even a beer or two will affect your on court performance, let's not even bring up the Islamic ban on alcohol, you wouldn't know that by watching the video of the player party in Dubai, looks like a royal **** up to me
I don't get what you mean by this.
Do you have any idea what Dubai is like?

edmondsm
02-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Yeah, that is surprising. Especially for a contender like Djokovic, you wouldn't want to hamper your physiology at all. Unless you are a regular drinker, a couple of beers can stick with you the next morning.

Oui, c'est moi.
02-25-2009, 10:16 AM
This is sounding more like Safin in Stockholm.

edmondsm
02-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Well if Djokovic was drinkin' last night then it might be effecting him. He's looking very mediocre against Jan Hernych right now.

vive le beau jeu !
02-25-2009, 10:32 AM
Unless you are a regular drinker, a couple of beers can stick with you the next morning.
but maybe novak trains regularly and seriously in order to be ready for the occasion ! http://www.tenerifeforum.com/images/smilies/tenerife-forum-drunk-smiley.gif *burps!*

vandre
02-25-2009, 10:39 AM
should we now change his nickname from "djoker" to "djrinker"?

also, how long till he retires from a match because he was "hungover"?:roll:

miyagi
02-25-2009, 10:40 AM
I am suprised to hear them drinking too...I can't imagine they would do that at a slam...

I'm not suprised that they are drinking in Dubai most Muslim countries that attract tourists allow the consumption of alcohol...Dubai, Maldives, Saudi etc

tacou
02-25-2009, 10:47 AM

maybe Novak's not a little girl and can handle a beer or two..I realize I'm not a pro but I've played tennis quite competitively after a night of heavy drinking and it had no effect on my level of play.

some people can do this I suppose. they're still people. I'm sure they wouldn't be drinking during a slam but it's only a 500 after all

batz
02-25-2009, 10:54 AM
Murray certainly wasn't drinking during the tournament - he's tee-total.

sureshs
02-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Dubai and the UAE in general have different rules for citizens and foreigners. "Foreigners" are permitted certain flexibility in dress and drink which are not available to the "locals." This is to bring in the international jet set for partying, while also pacifying the conservative locals. This is practised in several touristy places around the globe. But such a situtation would not be permitted in Saudi Arabia, for example.

One of the biggest hypocrisies in Dubai is their sponsorship of WTA events while at the same time keeping their women subjugated. There is a theory that by not allowing this, we would just foster more fundamentalism there. Allowing a dual-morality to be present can slowly open up the country. But for others the argument is not convincing.

Once religious fundamentalism takes roots in a certain place, all these problems will arise. That is why one must be always vigilant. There is no such thing as "my fundamentalist is better than yours." In the absense of secular constitutional checks, all fundamentalists end up in the same way, with the same dangerous recommendations. The only reason one appears better than another is because of the role of secular law in that region.

NickC
02-25-2009, 11:02 AM
Just because you all knew it was coming:

http://www.loldjs.com/watermark_cache/d9dd48655424e45dfe87e868bf2f0a8a.jpg

But in seriousness, maybe some alcohol can calm some people down. There was a test a few years ago with a marathon and instead of water, the drink given out was a dark lager. It's because of the carbs, boys.

woodrow1029
02-25-2009, 11:08 AM

But in seriousness, maybe some alcohol can calm some people down. There was a test a few years ago with a marathon and instead of water, the drink given out was a dark lager. It's because of the carbs, boys.
LOL. There you go Rhino!

GameSampras
02-25-2009, 11:54 AM
No wonder anyone outside of Nadal and Fed cant win slams. Both Djoker and Murray must have been hung over at the USO. They played like it anyways

miyagi
02-25-2009, 11:57 AM
No wonder anyone outside of Nadal and Fed cant win slams. Both Djoker and Murray must have been hung over at the USO. They played like it anyways

LOL.....thats cruel...

MajinX
02-25-2009, 12:48 PM

LMAOOO running a marathon with alcohol instead of water is insane... actually u might even die from it. U lose alot of water from ur body from running and alcohol also absorbs water from the body... so thats basicly the same as lying on the desert with no clothes on. lol i really want to know who even thought of this experiment.

jrod
02-25-2009, 12:52 PM
...I realize I'm not a pro but I've played tennis quite competitively after a night of heavy drinking and it had no effect on my level of play....

Pretty much sums it up I'd say.

woodrow1029
02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
Pretty much sums it up I'd say.
Jrod, I see that you have been taking a couple of days off from the forums lately. I posted another bunch of questions the other day. More of stuff that umpires need to know at the pro level. I know that you usually like to have a crack at answering some questions. I thought you might like to see it.

GameSampras
02-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Maybe alot of these players have ugly girlfriends. That could be why they are drinking. Because its nothing that a lightswitch and a six pack won't cure.

Speaking from personal experience and all

Gugafan
02-25-2009, 01:34 PM
let's not even bring up the Islamic ban on alcohol, you wouldn't know that by watching the video of the player party in Dubai, looks like a royal **** up to me

Correct me if i'm wrong but since when did Dubai practice sharia law??.

woodrow1029
02-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Hence the "FAIL" part of the post!

SoBad
02-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Drinking is good for you, especially if you are trying to be cutting-edge, you just should not drink during the match or right before. Ever notice how people who don't drink tend to be angry and tight up. I am not surprised someone mentions that Murray doesn't drink at all, because that explains his unease with himself and anger. Stakhovsky is so gonna own him from now on (when not injured). Prime Stakhovsky >> prime Murray.

bluetrain4
02-25-2009, 01:47 PM
With their metabolisms from being top-flight athletes, I highly doubt that a low to moderate amount of alcohol will have much negative effect.

Moreover, don't a lot of Europeans drink in moderation with meals from a failry early age and, therefore, are used to that level of consumption?

We can't look at this only through the typical American lense, i.e., act incredibly prudish and judgmental of alcohol consumption, but then turn around and binge drink on the weekend, relating some inane "story" of your "worst hangover ever" on Monday morning.

Some people can acheive a sane balance.

AndrewD
02-25-2009, 01:47 PM
I realize I'm not a pro but I've played tennis quite competitively after a night of heavy drinking and it had no effect on my level of play.

No offense, but the the only way that could happen is if the level you play at is so low there isn't much you can do to disrupt the standard OR your idea of heavy drinking is two pots and an early night.

saram
02-25-2009, 02:01 PM
A friend of mine was in Cincy a few years ago and said that Baghdatis came into the bar he was in at around 1am and started drinking pretty heavily. My friend left and Marcos was still going at it strong. Through the grapevine, he heard Marcos also continued to pound them until about 3 or 4am. Marcos took the court at the early afternoon match and my buddy said Marcos looked like he was one foot in the grave throughout the match.

Same friend (who volunteers every other year at Cincy answering phones) said that a while back, Guga was a frequent party animal at night and actually would talk to anyone in the bar as if they were all long lost friends-sometimes buying rounds for groups he met.

I'm actually surprised more stories about drinking during tournaments don't surface.

To me, this really isn't anything shocking.

TheNatural
02-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Safin must never have drank in his Life :twisted:

Drinking is good for you, especially if you are trying to be cutting-edge, you just should not drink during the match or right before. Ever notice how people who don't drink tend to be angry and tight up. I am not surprised someone mentions that Murray doesn't drink at all, because that explains his unease with himself and anger. Stakhovsky is so gonna own him from now on (when not injured). Prime Stakhovsky >> prime Murray.

saram
02-25-2009, 02:08 PM

That's pretty good :)

SoBad
02-25-2009, 02:09 PM

Safin is the greatest tennis player of all time. It doesn't matter where or when he choses to drink or abstain, or how he choses to communicate or otherwise express himself on or off the court. Dimitrov still needs to prove himself, even though many of us already know how everything is likely to turn out.

Fee
02-25-2009, 02:15 PM
A friend of mine was in Cincy a few years ago and said that Baghdatis came into the bar he was in at around 1am and started drinking pretty heavily. My friend left and Marcos was still going at it strong. Through the grapevine, he heard Marcos also continued to pound them until about 3 or 4am. Marcos took the court at the early afternoon match and my buddy said Marcos looked like he was one foot in the grave throughout the match.

Same friend (who volunteers every other year at Cincy answering phones) said that a while back, Guga was a frequent party animal at night and actually would talk to anyone in the bar as if they were all long lost friends-sometimes buying rounds for groups he met.

I'm actually surprised more stories about drinking during tournaments don't surface.

To me, this really isn't anything shocking.

I have a few Cincy stories myself, but not for public consumption...

Anyone who has volunteered for a tournament has a pretty good idea that yes, players drink during tournaments. Some wait until they've lost their last match that week, some do it between matches, some will start a beer and not finish it just to be social perhaps. I'm sure the way players consume alcohol is as varied on the tour as it is on this forum.

saram
02-25-2009, 02:26 PM
^^ I was also told a few I would not post on the internet. But sounds like Cincy is quite a blast!

oy vey
02-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Why? How many did Djokovic drink compared to Santoro, Cilic, etc? If he had one with dinner, no big deal.

seffina
02-25-2009, 02:33 PM
Or there's nothing to do in Cincy except drink...

Gorecki
02-25-2009, 02:42 PM
wow... impressive! millionaires in their twenties getting drunk... now that is something we dont see everyday!

ps: is everyone here ingesting some morality drug?

Fee
02-25-2009, 07:39 PM
^^ I was also told a few I would not post on the internet. But sounds like Cincy is quite a blast!

I don't know, to be honest, I was mostly just watching and observing. Not really my cup of tea, I just like to socialize/have conversations and I'm almost always the designated driver (by choice) so I can usually make one beer last about two hours.

Anyway, it's no big deal. Thread closed. ;)

lefty10spro
02-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Beer is an excellent post workout beverage - not just my opinion, studies prove it. Try it yourself!

SempreSami
02-25-2009, 08:11 PM

Joke post of the year.

ja_
02-25-2009, 08:29 PM

Yes, exactly right.

RCizzle65
02-25-2009, 09:47 PM
Maybe alot of these players have ugly girlfriends. That could be why they are drinking. Because its nothing that a lightswitch and a six pack won't cure.

Speaking from personal experience and all

Djokovic? Ugly girlfriend? LOL

Safin proves otherwise.....

lawrence
02-25-2009, 10:00 PM

haha don't know about you, but whenever i hit up the beach i find it hard keeping myself in the water after a few beers. my fitness just goes to ****.

tbh if there was a marathon race between 2 clones of myself, one drunk and one high, i think the high one would outlast :twisted:

TennisViewer
02-25-2009, 10:03 PM
I'm surprised to see Federer attending an ATP event in Dubai when he's supposed to be recovering from a "back problem." Maybe it's hard to resist the hefty appearance fees... Thousands of dollars in paycheck just to mingle for a bit with organizers sound like a great deal to me... lol

Tennis Viewer (http://www.**********.net)

Fee
02-25-2009, 10:25 PM
I'm surprised to see Federer attending an ATP event in Dubai when he's supposed to be recovering from a "back problem." Maybe it's hard to resist the hefty appearance fees... Thousands of dollars in paycheck just to mingle for a bit with organizers sound like a great deal to me... lol

He lives there and he's getting his back rehab there (and your URL is blocked so you can probably just stop adding it to the bottom of all of your posts). :?

Arvid
02-26-2009, 02:34 AM
How much the individual players where affected by the alcohol intake is one discussion, but what i really find appauling is there lack of professionalism. I just think that when youre doing something on such a level it takes a fool not to be more proffesional then that. Il give you a prime example Federer and Safin....now theres miles and miles of differense in commitment and proffesionalism.....and well Safin is still a great player, i mean hey thousands of players are struggling to become nearly as good as he is right now and they will never come close, so he will probably go down in history books as a great player......but the thing is that he could have been better. Federer on the other hand will go down as one of the greatest players of all time.....the biggest differense between these players commitment, proffesionalism. The point that im making is that when you put so much time and effort into something you should give it youre best....or at the end of youre career youl be looking back wondering why you spent time getting into bar brawls and such when you had the chance of writing history books.....

Gen
02-26-2009, 02:47 AM

Most probably it's not the matter of money. Rather good relations with the tourney organizers, trying to apologize for retiring from the tournament. He will do some pressers, foto-sessions, maybe other social events. That's normal practice. Nadal went to Stuttgart after Wimbledon last year to personally apologize for skipping the tournament.

raiden031
02-26-2009, 03:43 AM
I have serious doubts that drinking in moderation the night before a match will degrade their performance. Now if they are getting drunk or pushing that boundary, thats a different story.

Arvid
02-26-2009, 05:23 AM
I have serious doubts that drinking in moderation the night before a match will degrade their performance. Now if they are getting drunk or pushing that boundary, thats a different story.
Well you can be sure of one thing....it sure as heck isnt gone enhance their performance......

dandaman
02-26-2009, 06:24 AM
Well you can be sure of one thing....it sure as heck isnt gone enhance their performance......

Agree. All the people saying a bit of alcohol the night before a match is good for you are just plain wrong. You never know if you won't have an extremely tough match were you need that extra edge over your opponent

christo
02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Some fascinating responses so far, my favorite from the chap who said "people who don't drink get angry and uptight" What alternate universe are you living in? BTW, the Islamic faith bans the consumption of alcohol, Sharia law has nothing to with it.

Frodo Baggins
02-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Wants to hear more Stories bout players An Drinking Stories :D.. That sounds interesting!!!! ;)

SoBad
02-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Some fascinating responses so far, my favorite from the chap who said "people who don't drink get angry and uptight" What alternate universe are you living in? BTW, the Islamic faith bans the consumption of alcohol, Sharia law has nothing to with it.

It's true though, just think about yourself and people you know, let go of preconcieved notions and stereotypes, think about it and you will realise it is true...

Wants to hear more Stories bout players An Drinking Stories :D.. That sounds interesting!!!! ;)

Yeah, brings memories of that time I was drinking with Fed in Monte Carlo before the final, and he asked me to play Nadal hahahaha...

equinox
02-28-2009, 05:53 AM
The tourny i'm playing next weekend has a very social atmosphere. Plenty of drinking and cheering and a few lighthearted heckles get thrown around.

Interesting that in this district night season i've seen more teams 3/4 open up a bottle of wine in the last two sets than in all previous seasons, excluding gf's and social comps.

Blackburn and district players love drinking and this behavior appears to be spreading to other districts now. Could this be because of changing the format to home and away? instead all matches being played at one location?

Leublu tennis
02-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Safin is the greatest tennis player of all time. It doesn't matter where or when he choses to drink or abstain, or how he choses to communicate or otherwise express himself on or off the court. Dimitrov still needs to prove himself, even though many of us already know how everything is likely to turn out.Dimitrov is not of drinking age and will not be allowed in bars.

NickC
02-28-2009, 09:58 AM
LMAOOO running a marathon with alcohol instead of water is insane... actually u might even die from it. U lose alot of water from ur body from running and alcohol also absorbs water from the body... so thats basicly the same as lying on the desert with no clothes on. lol i really want to know who even thought of this experiment.

Might have been without alcohol. Probably mixed up that with what I had to drink the night before I posted this.