PDA

View Full Version : College recruit

betofranca
02-25-2009, 09:09 AM
Hey there, well I've a few questions I want to ask you guys about recruiting system on colleges.
I'm from Mexico city, I've been playing for my High School Tecnologico de Monterrey tennis team at several tournaments and some outside tournaments, but now that I'm finishing school I need to see university options.
My questions are.
I'm interested on some colleges but I was at University of Arizona and I like it so much, but unfortunately I couldn't see and talk to the coach, so which are the steps for getting recruit, do I email the coach? send him my video? do I need to go to Tucson again? I need to get some scholarship, so I ask the coach also that?

I'll like to enter UofA but if not any other University will be awesome.

I'm very confused about this please help me.:-?

eeytennis
02-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Hey there, well I've a few questions I want to ask you guys about recruiting system on colleges.
I'm from Mexico city, I've been playing for my High School Tecnologico de Monterrey tennis team at several tournaments and some outside tournaments, but now that I'm finishing school I need to see university options.
My questions are.
I'm interested on some colleges but I was at University of Arizona and I like it so much, but unfortunately I couldn't see and talk to the coach, so which are the steps for getting recruit, do I email the coach? send him my video? do I need to go to Tucson again? I need to get some scholarship, so I ask the coach also that?

I'll like to enter UofA but if not any other University will be awesome.

I'm very confused about this please help me.:-?

Do you have ranking? I am not familiar with the ranking system in Mexico although it's likely similar to that in the USA...but also if you have an ITF ranking that would be good as well. U of Arizona is a Division 1 school and their men's team has a ranking of 35 I believe...so they are pretty good and are going to be looking for some good recruits.

Also, are you looking to go to college this fall or next fall? I hope you are planning on going next fall because if not I don't even know if you could apply to U of A anymore...

However, if you are going to college next fall (2010) then e-mail or call the coach and tell him that you are interested in the school and tell him a little bit about your tennis accomplishments so he can get a good idea of your level. If he is interested, you will likely be invited back up to Arizona to meet him, and some of the team members, etc. This is called an "official visit".

Hope this helps, just ask if you want to know more!

betofranca
02-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Do you have ranking? I am not familiar with the ranking system in Mexico although it's likely similar to that in the USA...but also if you have an ITF ranking that would be good as well. U of Arizona is a Division 1 school and their men's team has a ranking of 35 I believe...so they are pretty good and are going to be looking for some good recruits.

Also, are you looking to go to college this fall or next fall? I hope you are planning on going next fall because if not I don't even know if you could apply to U of A anymore...

However, if you are going to college next fall (2010) then e-mail or call the coach and tell him that you are interested in the school and tell him a little bit about your tennis accomplishments so he can get a good idea of your level. If he is interested, you will likely be invited back up to Arizona to meet him, and some of the team members, etc. This is called an "official visit".

Hope this helps, just ask if you want to know more!

Well it surely helps me I really thank you for this info.
About my ranking I was doing well I think, before getting to highschool because I stop playing outside tournaments and only play with my tennis team, so my ranking went down, my affiliation to the Mexican Tennis Federation ended so...but now that I've time and planning to play what we call here a Seccional...where some players from 3 or 4 states play, then it comes the Nationals, so let's see what happens. I also liked University Of Santa Clara were a friend of mine is I think an Undergraduate admission...something... I can't remember.

Now I'm planing to write to both coaches to see what they think. What should I ask them? or what to tell them? haha My achievements? my interest in that school? ...

Thanks again

NickC
02-25-2009, 10:08 AM
About my ranking I was doing well I think, before getting to highschool because I stop playing outside tournaments and only play with my tennis team, so my ranking went down, my affiliation to the Mexican Tennis Federation ended so...but now that I've time and planning to play what we call here a Seccional...where some players from 3 or 4 states play, then it comes the Nationals, so let's see what happens. I also liked University Of Santa Clara were a friend of mine is I think an Undergraduate admission...something... I can't remember.

Now I'm planing to write to both coaches to see what they think. What should I ask them? or what to tell them? haha My achievements? my interest in that school? ...

Thanks again

Que parte de DF vives? Vivo en Puebla, cuando quieres juagar conmigo, dice me.

But in seriousness, did you play ITF ball? Where do you train? I played with the UDLAP team at third singles for a little while and I have NO SHOT whatsoever of playing top D-1 ball. Maybe with a lower team if I got back into it, but as of right now no chance in hell. If you can head out here I can introduce you to our #1 player and if you can beat him, you've got a shot at playing at a good college in the states. BTW, he's got ATP points.

And this is good, I've got a kid that lives less than 2 hours from me that is good.

eeytennis
02-25-2009, 03:57 PM

Thanks again

Just tell them that you are a foreign player from Mexico and you have been looking at the school and you really would like to continue your tennis career with them. Tell the coach your ranking(s), some results from important tournaments. Don't brag or act elitist about it, you want to make a good impression. From there the coach will write you back or call you and tell you if you have a shot or not. If he thinks you do he will invite you to visit the school. If he doesn't, he might be a good resource to find out which school is right for you. Keep in mind that Division 2 and NAIA schools offer scholarships as well so you might want to look at some of those as well!

LeeD
02-25-2009, 05:22 PM
And when you produce your demo video, DO NOT be lazy, move slow, do tricks, look disinterested, or be sloppy slow.
DO look like you WANT to play tennis, have plenty of energy, move your feet, get the racket prep EARLY, watch the ball, take it seriously, and have the balls fed to you at least medium fast speeds.
Div1 coachs don't care how well you hit against slow moving balls.

betofranca
02-26-2009, 09:32 AM
And when you produce your demo video, DO NOT be lazy, move slow, do tricks, look disinterested, or be sloppy slow.
DO look like you WANT to play tennis, have plenty of energy, move your feet, get the racket prep EARLY, watch the ball, take it seriously, and have the balls fed to you at least medium fast speeds.
Div1 coachs don't care how well you hit against slow moving balls.

Lee, thanks for this tips, I knew somekind how to do the video because 3 friends of mine that also were in the team with me did it, they are now studyin in the States.

Just tell them that you are a foreign player from Mexico and you have been looking at the school and you really would like to continue your tennis career with them. Tell the coach your ranking(s), some results from important tournaments. Don't brag or act elitist about it, you want to make a good impression. From there the coach will write you back or call you and tell you if you have a shot or not. If he thinks you do he will invite you to visit the school. If he doesn't, he might be a good resource to find out which school is right for you. Keep in mind that Division 2 and NAIA schools offer scholarships as well so you might want to look at some of those as well!

eeytennis, that's what I'm gonna do let them know about my interest in the school, etc. I was wondering can you or anybody else tell me some Division 2 schools? I don't know about this, I even don't know that University Of Arizona was Division 1. So can you name a few please?. 3 friends and team mates are now playing by, UTEP at el Paso, ASHLAND in Ohia, and other in San Francisco I can't remember the name, are does divison 2?NAIA schools??

Que parte de DF vives? Vivo en Puebla, cuando quieres juagar conmigo, dice me.

But in seriousness, did you play ITF ball? Where do you train? I played with the UDLAP team at third singles for a little while and I have NO SHOT whatsoever of playing top D-1 ball. Maybe with a lower team if I got back into it, but as of right now no chance in hell. If you can head out here I can introduce you to our #1 player and if you can beat him, you've got a shot at playing at a good college in the states. BTW, he's got ATP points.

And this is good, I've got a kid that lives less than 2 hours from me that is good.

Nick, vivo en el DF por el centro colonia del valle, jaja es bueno saber que hay mexicanos por aqui. I don't play ITF, I'm now training at Centro Libanes 5 days a week the 2 others I do gym, track, physical work out. I was thinking about what you told me of division 1 and I think I'll try to get there, but if not theres always other options Division 2.

eeytennis
02-26-2009, 10:46 AM
eeytennis, that's what I'm gonna do let them know about my interest in the school, etc. I was wondering can you or anybody else tell me some Division 2 schools? I don't know about this, I even don't know that University Of Arizona was Division 1. So can you name a few please?. 3 friends and team mates are now playing by, UTEP at el Paso, ASHLAND in Ohia, and other in San Francisco I can't remember the name, are does divison 2?NAIA schools??

Here is a link of a list of Division 2 schools in the USA

http://w w w.s i u e.e d u/A T HLETIC/d2/mten.html

Division 2 schools are smaller schools that still offer athletic scholarships although their money is more limited than Division 1 schools. NAIA are very small schools who offer scholarships as well.

NickC
02-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Nick, vivo en el DF por el centro colonia del valle, jaja es bueno saber que hay mexicanos por aqui. I don't play ITF, I'm now training at Centro Libanes 5 days a week the 2 others I do gym, track, physical work out. I was thinking about what you told me of division 1 and I think I'll try to get there, but if not theres always other options Division 2.

Ok. Mi "roomie" se viv circa de la Torre Mexicano y el World Trade Center. Un otro amigo vive en Chapultapec, tu sabes el lugar?

Where exactly is Centro Libanes? Is that the place that's near the WTC area? I know of some courts in that area. If you're ever down for hitting, let me know, the only problem is that I didn't bring my racquets down to Puebla because I was kicked off the team when they figured out that I'm a "gringo" and that the team insurance rates would go through the roof if they kept one on the team. Got a spare or two?

By the way, I'm not Mexican. I'm just here to mejorar mi espanol.

betofranca
02-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Ok. Mi "roomie" se viv circa de la Torre Mexicano y el World Trade Center. Un otro amigo vive en Chapultapec, tu sabes el lugar?

Where exactly is Centro Libanes? Is that the place that's near the WTC area? I know of some courts in that area. If you're ever down for hitting, let me know, the only problem is that I didn't bring my racquets down to Puebla because I was kicked off the team when they figured out that I'm a "gringo" and that the team insurance rates would go through the roof if they kept one on the team. Got a spare or two?

By the way, I'm not Mexican. I'm just here to mejorar mi espanol.

Well you speak good espaņol haha

Centro libanes is at south of the city near Universidad Anahuac Sur...I think the WTC courts you're thinking are the Junior's Club does are the only courts near WTC I know. I'll tell you if someday we play.

Well I spend all day on a College fair. College Board invted me so I ask like 10 schools about the scholarship tomorrow I'll email every coach Im to tired right now. Some of them are St.Johns, Mason, Vadosta, HPU(hawaii), Wayne State, etc. I'd like them so lets see what happens

Thanks for the info all of you!