PDA

View Full Version : My Tonic Ball Feel set ups

ac3111
02-25-2009, 04:04 PM
I purchased 4 sets of Tonic ball feel in December to get them strung to a couple of racquets. Most of them I sold them before I string them with the Tonic.

Not long ago I got a Wilson Rok 93 unstrung. I got it strung with Tonic at 24kgs a few days ago, around 53 lbs. It was the first time I experienced natural gut. All my previous experiences were with the strings that my racquets came with (Prince syngut, Wilson sensation, Mfil, Yonex Pro Tour).
The initial feeling was that the gut string was thinner than 16 gauge. Suddenly I felt like I was the king of slice.
Although you can say that 53 lbs with natural gut is loose the Rok felt not more powerful than the K Six One 95 18x20 that had Wilson sensation sting at the same tension or more and of course was used for more than 2 months.

I had not played before with the Rok, so my first taste was with the Tonic.
Now I will get the K 95 18x20 strung with Tonic ball feel as well and get rid of the Wilson Sensation. I have to admit that I got so used to the feeling of the K 95 that I have not even overgripped it, I keep playing with the initial True grip. It was white and now is almost black.
But soon the K 95 will have a set of Tonic ball feel at 53 or 54 lbs, maybe 55.

zmenon
02-26-2009, 12:25 AM
You interested in selling? :)

Let me know if you are! zmenon at gmail dot com.

Thx!

Z

ac3111
02-26-2009, 03:07 AM
The Rok is 4 1/4 and not interested selling it because it gave very good control and for the time being I am enjoying it...

ac3111
03-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Though the Wilson 93 feels a bit underpowered even with Tonic strung at 24kgs/53lbs compared to my K 95 18 x 20 with the Wilson Sensation string I think 53lbs is a bit too loose even for the Wilson Rok 93.

I am going to get the K 95 strung at 26kgs/57lbs.
Stringing higher will reduce the gluing effect/feeling of the ball staying longer on the stringbed during a hit?
Will it give less pop?

ac3111
03-15-2009, 08:45 PM
After playing over 2 months overall with a K 95 18x20 strung with Wilson sensation (strung lower than 55) the strings of the K 95 look like they have not moved at all. They look as if there is no wear. Only the red W logo has fainted a bit...
The last 3-4 weeks I have been playing with a Wilson Rok 93 strung as I wrote before with Tonic Ball Feel. I have played more than 20-25 hours with it. It is strung at 53 lbs. Strings look like they have not moved a mm...

I will upload a couple of pictures...
I want to string the K 95 with one set of Tonic Ball Feel but I am puzzled about the tension. I would go to 26kgs/57 lbs, firstly because natural gut is more powerful than the Wilson Sensation and because the K 95 is more powerful than the Wilson Rok 93. On the other hand I am thinking that if my strings do not wear a bit or move then it means I need thinner gauge or to string them lower?
I start to think I should go to 17 gauge maybe?
I need your guidance...