PDA

View Full Version : Sharapova's form when she comes back

tennisdude42
02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
How do you think Maria will play once she's back on the tour? Now that the shoulder is healed, will she be able to go back to the top?

Mick
02-25-2009, 07:10 PM
i think she would lose early rounds because the lower ranked players always have to play against the top players in the early rounds. so, suppose sharapova meets serena or safina, sharapova would get eliminated.

egn
02-25-2009, 07:18 PM
She will climb back, it will not be instantly but by end of year or mid next year she will be back towards the top. She has a lot of talent and I do not see her fading away. She has a lot of ground to make up though..as much as she annoys me she at least had talent and did not choke.

hoodjem
02-25-2009, 07:24 PM
Sharapova at the 2008 AO was awesome--she blew everyone else off the court.

I've seldom seen such a display of dominance; she was an unstoppable force. She creamed every ball.

Will she ever get that back?

obnoxious2
02-25-2009, 07:27 PM
Sharapova at the 2008 AO was awesome--she blew everyone else off the court.

I've seldom seen such a display of dominance; she was an unstoppable force. She creamed every ball.

Will she ever get that back?

No, her shoulder can't take it.

vbranis
02-25-2009, 07:43 PM
No, her shoulder can't take it.

But remember that the WTA field right now is less than stellar.

I think she will get back to the top 5 soon.

Fee
02-25-2009, 07:47 PM
She will climb back, it will not be instantly but by end of year or mid next year she will be back towards the top. She has a lot of talent and I do not see her fading away. She has a lot of ground to make up though..as much as she annoys me she at least had talent and did not choke.

Let's hope you are right, but I fear that she might end up with similar results to Tommy Haas, and that she just won't be quite the same as she was before the surgery. Women's tennis needs her to be a factor in every tournament again, it would be nice to see her regain her form.

SempreSami
02-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Isn't she just going to bork her shoulder again playing the way she does?

flying24
02-25-2009, 08:15 PM
I see retirement for her.

flying24
02-25-2009, 08:16 PM
Let's hope you are right, but I fear that she might end up with similar results to Tommy Haas, and that she just won't be quite the same as she was before the surgery. Women's tennis needs her to be a factor in every tournament again, it would be nice to see her regain her form.

Even worse is Maria is far more important and a far bigger asset to the currently horrible womens game than Haas ever was to the mens.

boredone3456
02-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Average, Especially since she will be returning now near the clay season, which is her worst surface. Given the rest of the field though, if her shoulder holds, I say she is back in the top 10 by years end unless she gets terrible draws or something.

TennisViewer
02-25-2009, 10:12 PM
I'd say average because there's a lot of hard-hitting players out there so nothing special about her game already. Let's just see.

Tennis Viewer (http://www.**********.net)

thalivest
02-25-2009, 10:24 PM
I'd say average because there's a lot of hard-hitting players out there so nothing special about her game already. Let's just see.

At her best she is still a better ball striker and hard hitter than almost all the other hard hitters out there. Only the Williams at their best are better among the current. She is also more consistent, makes far fewer careless errors (again at her best). Most importantly though she is alot mentally tougher than the other current bashers, again apart from the Williams at their best. You would never see Maria totally fall apart the way Kuznetsova did serving for the match vs Serena in the quarters of Australia this year, or just freeze everytime she reaches a big stage like Safina (yeah I know she got killed in the AO final a couple years ago but Serena was on fire and outplayed her that day, plus her shoulder injury ruined her serve and was a huge factor in her lopsided loss that day).

zagor
02-25-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't care if you're a Sharapova fan or not,if you're a tennis fan you'll want her to be healthy and at her best again as the current WTA needs every great player they can get nowadays.

Aside from Serena and Venus Sharapova is the legitimate great player left in the field.Wish her all the best with her recovery at the very least for that reason.WTA needs a healthy Sharapova at her best IMO.

thalivest
02-25-2009, 10:31 PM
I don't care if you're a Sharapova fan or not,if you're a tennis fan you'll want her to be healthy and at her best again as the current WTA needs every great player they can get nowadays.

Aside from Serena and Venus Sharapova is the legitimate great player left in the field.Wish her all the best with her recovery at the very least for that reason.WTA needs a healthy Sharapova at her best IMO.

Exactly. Even a non-Sharapova fan has to hope for her to make a strong comeback for the sake of the currently hapless WTA. Well that is unless you have reached the point of wanting the WTA to go kaboom, as I sometimes think I now have. :twisted:

I guess unless she can be ready for the big spring hard court events the main concern is that she is ready and able to play well in the part of the year after the French Open. The clay court season isnt going to be ruled by Serena, Venus, and Maria in anycase, with Serena the only possible real factor of those 3. The clay court season is when the 2nd tier lights can shine, then back to the big girls again.

zagor
02-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Exactly. Even a non-Sharapova fan has to hope for her to make a strong comeback for the sake of the currently hapless WTA. Well that is unless you have reached the point of wanting the WTA to go kaboom, as I sometimes think I now have. :twisted:

Lol,no I'm not at that point,atleast not yet :).

I mean I like Ana and Jelena,they're both from my country and sweet girls(I always root for them)but they just aren't great players,it's just as simple as that.Ana has potential to be a great player much more so than Jelena but she isn't fulfilling it yet.I like Safina,Dementieva and Kuznetsova as well but they aren't great players either and they completely fold under pressure,they aren't even being close to being big match players in any way possible.

Sharapova,even though I didn't like her that much(apart from her looks,has great legs)is a "great" player,she's that caliber of player and that's why WTA needs her back.

saram
02-25-2009, 10:39 PM

You know your attempt in coming here and plugging your site is not working, right?

boredone3456
02-25-2009, 10:44 PM

I agree. I am not a Sharapova fan, but the WTA needs her to comeback and raise the standard. She played lightening tennis in Melbourne in 2008, and if she comes back and plays like that maybe that will light a fire under the rest of these girls rears and drive them to play better, make them put up or shut up. I still watch womens tennis in hope of something better, and while I don't like Sharapova's personality, she is the only thing remotely resembling light at the end of the tunnel right now.

THUNDERVOLLEY
02-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Her skills were average to begin with, so I expect nothing great from her when she returns.

cknobman
02-26-2009, 06:29 AM
Better question is: Will Sharapova ever come back?

Its been so long with one postponement after the other Im beginning to wonder.