PDA

View Full Version : Novak: sick?

saram
02-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Anyone watch Novak play today? He looked like he had the flu. What concerns me also is that he bailed out on Andy, lost to Tsonga, and for some reason--does not look himself on the court.

He was pale at times today, almost seemed like he had a concussion and just out of it all day. Everything about his match today makes me wonder if he has the flu, has a cold, or even something like mono.

He almost looked as if he didn't care one way or the other about winning or losing today.

He appears 'out of it' in just about every match I have watched of his this year.

I'm not a huge fan of his--but I do want the top contenders healthy and fit and playing well--this is what we should all want as a tennis fan.

Anyone else notice this today?

cknobman
02-26-2009, 06:31 AM
I didnt see the match today but Ive watched a couple of his matches this year so far and Novak just hasnt looked right.

Almost looks like he just dosnt care anymore, I dont know. Its definitely more than just a new racquet.

Spider
02-26-2009, 06:43 AM
I am a fan of Novak but I think what happened in last Jan-Feb has screwed him up big time. I mean his mom making a statement that the king is dead and all doesn't help a up and coming player and puts immense pressure to back up such a claim (which has definitely affected him play). This is where the Nadal camp is absolutely brilliant, with their comments, because they would like the pressure to be on Federer (even now when Nadal is clearly the best player in the word).

And I think Novak isn't as fit as other players are and I believe, most of his injuries are real (and not like how many make it sound to be - fake). Breathing problems are a dangerous thing to have, especially for an athlete and for him to overcome that is not a simple thing (like we feel it is). His quitting looks like he is throwing in the towel but there are many other things that goes into it especially for someone who has had serious breathing problems.

He is a very good tennis player but unfortunately for him (and for many other players) there are two (soon to be immortal) legends ahead of him, which makes their lifes a lot harder than what it already is.

oy vey
02-26-2009, 07:14 AM
It's said he has a form of asthma. Anyone who has this will know how difficult it is to manage. There are good and bad days, different triggers. In his case it seems to be heat that is one of them. I hope the best for him.

SchreckTennis
02-26-2009, 08:24 AM
Anyone watch Novak play today? He looked like he had the flu. What concerns me also is that he bailed out on Andy, lost to Tsonga, and for some reason--does not look himself on the court.

He was pale at times today, almost seemed like he had a concussion and just out of it all day. Everything about his match today makes me wonder if he has the flu, has a cold, or even something like mono.

He almost looked as if he didn't care one way or the other about winning or losing today.

He appears 'out of it' in just about every match I have watched of his this year.

I'm not a huge fan of his--but I do want the top contenders healthy and fit and playing well--this is what we should all want as a tennis fan.

Anyone else notice this today?

I'm not trying to be mean, but this is just my opinion- and yes, I am a Djokovic fan. It seems to me that Novak's career is plagued with supposed illness, quitting, and only succeeding on his terms. Claiming some kind of ailment before or during a match- and he's lost I think the last 3 or more encounters with Tsonga. He also tends to blame his game on everything that's not himself (injury, sickness, heat, his new racquet)...He seems to always have an excuse =[...but when he's doing well, I love watching him play.

Fedace
02-26-2009, 08:35 AM
Novak has been spending some quality time together with Andy. No wonder...

PCXL-Fan
02-26-2009, 08:44 AM
So Federer, Nadal, Murray, now (maybe) Novak out of the Dubai open?

orangettecoleman
02-26-2009, 09:10 AM
^^^ that avatar is amazing.

tahiti
02-27-2009, 11:59 AM
I'm a bit worried about the Joker myself, but please no more mono talk. It's become a buzz word!

I didn't know about his mother's comment but i think it's a combination of all things. Even in dubai, he's looking lethargic, no real will to win & I actually think Ferrer's gonna take it. They always say "clowns cry" and he's just lost the spark. He was 50 points behind Roger before the AO and now he's way behind. Confidence jolt and another uphill struggle is what's he thinking probably. Plus his fans didn't help in Australia.

TheTruth
02-28-2009, 08:35 AM
I've always thought Novak's illnesses weren't concocted. The man has breathing problems. His retirements are legitimate to me, because when he doesn't have an ailment, he competes to the end. Isn't faint of heart, and always congratulates his opponents.

Djoko seems to be a decent young man. Ordinarily I enjoy watching him play, but I think he's been ill for awhile.

coloskier
02-28-2009, 08:38 AM
So, it looks like all of the top 4 have issues.

Fed - back
Nadal - knees
Djokovic - lungs and brain
Murray - kissing Fed, getting mono