PDA

View Full Version : Hewitts s&v game?

lawrence
02-25-2009, 08:57 PM
i was just watching the memphis match between hewitt and roddick ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIO3xKI1duE for anyone whos interested, highlights )

and im trying to figure out why he doesn't come to the net more often? he did it heaps this match and his volleys are pretty damn good for someone whos meant to be a counterpunching baseliner. especially after hip surgery

tennis needs more s&v!

halalula1234
02-25-2009, 08:59 PM
yes his s&v is really good actually but he just doesnt use it that much. I saw him playing doubles are he was like the one doing most of the volley winners

saram
02-25-2009, 09:05 PM
It is a good concept, but I think his first service percentage needs to go up. Seems his is always playing with second serves as of late.

DarkSephiroth
02-25-2009, 11:55 PM
He doesn't S & V well, he plays the net well after getting on the offensive with his groundstrokes.

Techniques
02-26-2009, 01:36 AM
He's a brilliant volleyer when he gets to the net. Awesome touch and hands at the net- the feel at the net he gets is amazing. However like other posters have said, his first serve percentage and style of tennis makes it hard for him to come in- his first serve % is too low and he is usually in a neutral rally or on the defensive which doesn't allow him to attack the net much. However when he gets the opportunity he should come to the net- will be much easier on his body and would be a good way to shorten points for him.

THERAFA
02-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Yeah his serve isn't great enough but his volley skills come in handy if he ever:
Controls
The
Rallies

lawrence
02-26-2009, 02:45 AM
He doesn't S & V well, he plays the net well after getting on the offensive with his groundstrokes.

i dunno i saw quite a few points where hes just come in right after he serves
and he was doing more of what you said on receiving points

DarkSephiroth
02-26-2009, 03:33 AM
Keep in mind that Andy Roddick is a horrid Serve returner. =D

crazylevity
02-26-2009, 03:52 AM
Don't know about S&V, but Hewitt sure is playing with greater variety now. Down the line BHs and FHs and coming to the net, more slice...it's great to see.

Gugafan
02-26-2009, 05:22 AM
Like many have posted, Hewitts first serve percentage can go awol at times..He needs to focus on playing agressive tennis which will allow him get to net more often.