PDA

View Full Version : Arm Friendly and Durable?

Gus
02-26-2009, 07:22 AM
I've got a dilemma and need some advice. My daughter strings for her HS tennis team. Her best friend (and customer), a hard hitting topspin baseliner, goes through strings like crazy. She plays with an APD, PSGD 16 @ 60#. A little while back, after dropping off her 3rd racquet in the week, her mom asked for something more durable. I had some poly laying around and we strung her with Cyberpower mains @ 53# and Forten sweet 16 X's @ 58#. She really liked it. It proved to be durable and she wants that set up from now on.

The thing is that this kid has had serious arm issues for a couple of years (mostly wrist and forearm) and for that reason I was really hesitant to try it to begin with. She's a nice kid and I don't want to contribute to bad health issues. Is the setup she wants any harsher than PSGD at high tensions? Any other ideas? Personally, I think the stiff racquet and 41/8 in grip are also contributing to her problems. I have limited experience with poly's, I fubar'd my arm in an accident a couple of years ago and can't play anymore, so I can't test myself. Useful advice is appreciated.

mctennis
02-26-2009, 07:36 AM
I'd suggest trying a gut hybrid combination. I would suggest a gut/TiMO combination that would last longer than what she is using now.IMHO.

Valjean
02-26-2009, 08:58 AM
Your "gut instinct" was, in this case, totally correct:

"Polyester - a very durable string designed for string breakers-not much power or feel. Polyester strings became very popular with ATP players, because it provides added durability, doesn't move and 'deadens' the stringbed. While this isn't a desirable feature for most recreational players, it is for many of todays ATP and (some) WTA players. They're bigger, stronger, swing faster and use more powerful racquets than players from the past. Often used in hybrids, combining polyester mains with softer synthetic or natural gut mains. This offers the durability benefits of polyester, while reducing the stiff, dead feel. Also easier to string than 100% polyester. Not recommended for beginning players or players with arm injuries."

If it were up to me, even now I'd be recommending the thicker Prince's Topspin 15L, the one with Duraflex (the same stuff that is blended in to PSGD).

scotus
02-26-2009, 09:35 AM
There are polys that are softer than Prince Synthetic Gut.

For example, I just had a chance to try out Pacific Poly Power 18 gauge. The RSi stiffness rating is 201, making it softer than PSGD which is rated at 212-213 for both the 16 and 17 gauges. Having used PSGD for years before, I can honestly say that this poly feels easier on the arm than PSGD.

I have had tennis elbow before, so I have been testing a lot of different soft strings, and I find that the RSi lab results are very trustworthy.

If your cyberpower mains is 16 gauge, that is still 246, much too stiff for the girl with a previous arm problem. Although the lower tension (and the softer cross) would take some of that stiffness off, it would be hard to tell what would happen in the long term.

I suggest you try something like the Pacific Poly Power or Babolat Pro Hurricane in 18 gauge. Although I have not tried the Hurricane 18 myself, RSi rates its stiffness at 187, making it the softest poly on the market (by the way, this only applies to the 18 gauge, the thicker gauges get noticeably stiffer), and I bet this would far outlast the PSGD she has been using.

scotus
02-26-2009, 10:02 AM
I should also mention that even on these softer polys, I do lower the tension than I would on a regular synthetic gut by 5-10 % and then adjust subsequently if needed.

Bud
02-26-2009, 12:13 PM
I've got a dilemma and need some advice. My daughter strings for her HS tennis team. Her best friend (and customer), a hard hitting topspin baseliner, goes through strings like crazy. She plays with an APD, PSGD 16 @ 60#. A little while back, after dropping off her 3rd racquet in the week, her mom asked for something more durable. I had some poly laying around and we strung her with Cyberpower mains @ 53# and Forten sweet 16 X's @ 58#. She really liked it. It proved to be durable and she wants that set up from now on.

The thing is that this kid has had serious arm issues for a couple of years (mostly wrist and forearm) and for that reason I was really hesitant to try it to begin with. She's a nice kid and I don't want to contribute to bad health issues. Is the setup she wants any harsher than PSGD at high tensions? Any other ideas? Personally, I think the stiff racquet and 41/8 in grip are also contributing to her problems. I have limited experience with poly's, I fubar'd my arm in an accident a couple of years ago and can't play anymore, so I can't test myself. Useful advice is appreciated.

The tiny grip, poly string (or PSGD at high tension) and stiff racquet is probably the reason behind her arm/wrist issues.

Have you tried a 15g gut with string savers?

Nellie
02-26-2009, 12:24 PM
If you change the multi to the mains and the poly to the crosses, you should have a much softer set up

Gus
02-26-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't think gut is in their budget, but I'll try. My kid uses 15L tonic mains and syn gut X's and it has proven to be a great value. She's also never had arm issues. But then again my kid is a flat ball hitter w/ an 18x 19 flexible frame with a 4 3/8 grip.

She was using topspin duraflex 15L for a while. I don't know what it is about that string but it seems to get very brittle here in inland SoCal. She (and just about everyone else here) gets better durabilty from regular PSGD.

I'm not familiar at all with the various poly's (she's the only kid that's asked for it). Just from reading the board it seemed the newer ones were perceived to be more comfortable than the older ones so we took a shot at the cyberpower.

This kid is a heavy spin player. String durability is always going to be a problem. Maybe the best solution for her is to get a reel of OG sheep and let her string her own to save money. (of course that means my kid will lose her best customer and might start hitting me up for an allowance!)

Thanks for your suggestions, keep em coming.

1st Seed
02-26-2009, 01:10 PM
Gus tell her to try Head Rip Control.
Helped my forearms out.16's are Durable for me anyways.The 17's hold up well in hybrids with stiff poly's.Worth a try 8 bones only.