PDA

View Full Version : Why don't they make 100-ish head/27inch POG?

Tenny
03-02-2005, 03:24 PM
Why don't they make 100 si head/27inch POG?
Just curious. There are 93 and 107 POG which are extremely popular. And there is a LB which has 100 (?) and 28 inch length (If I remember correctly. Now it's gone?). Wouldn't it be nice if they make midplus size head+regular length version of POG?

03-02-2005, 03:59 PM
I agree i think around 95-100in pog would be nice for pog/prince fan's(and i don't even like the pog).

spinbalz
03-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Prince did make it a few years ago.

monologuist
03-02-2005, 10:23 PM
I think the Diablo MP is the closest thing....if you try it, you'll see why a 100" POG has some problems...you could also take a longbody POG and chop an inch off the handle, but again, I think you'll find it to be less than ideal.

topspin king
03-03-2005, 02:08 AM
-because the POG 93 is the best!

-also by the trend of modern tennis, lots of people like to play with 100 headsize racquets(you can see everywhere is the PD midplus...). so if Prince make a POG 100, no one is going to buy the other model of Prince, everyone know(even not a Prince fan) POG is the best model of Prince racquets.

mary fierce
03-03-2005, 11:14 AM
You could actually make your own with Vantage (no, I'm not sponsored!!). 100 sq.in., 27 in., 11.7 ounces unstrung, pick your balance, a Prince shape grip available, and it's black. BINGO!

Tenny
03-03-2005, 11:24 AM
I think the Diablo MP is the closest thing....if you try it, you'll see why a 100" POG has some problems...you could also take a longbody POG and chop an inch off the handle, but again, I think you'll find it to be less than ideal.

Thanks guys. I have a friend who is a car designer. Once he told me how hard they work to minimize the wegit of a car (gram by gram literally) but once we, customers buy it, we put many crazy things on it...making those poor engineers crazy ^^. Another interesting story I've read is about the legendary WWII japanese fighter plane 'ZERO'. Part by part, there isn't much to be great but somehow, as a whole, there was a 'chemistry' to make the fighter a legend, very mobile. But as USAF began making stronger fighters, they were forced to put heavier armer, bigger machine guns on the ZEROs which made them lose the magic. No, I wouldn't cut a handle. BTW, monologuist, can you clarify what 100" POG's problem could be?

And your majesty, Topspin King. I think if they can make a good 98-100 POG, it will boost the overall sale of Prince, no? I like the feel of POG but 93 is too small, 107 is...well no so cool lookingly small. ^^

Safina
03-03-2005, 02:28 PM
I think if VANTAGE were truly custom frames, they would allow you to choose beam thicknesses too!

Sure this would be much costlier, but a choice of 3 headsizes, a 2 flexes just isn't enough for me... You can't make a 100" POG there because it will be 21mm...

But it is a great step in the right direction.
It is a great business model.
I mean it is basically a line of 6 racquets and then choose your handle and grip.

Choice of 6 isnt really custom... but it sounds nice. I really need to get sponsored by HEAD so I can get my choice of PC600 or the proshop version 18x20 Instinct XL.

spinbalz
03-03-2005, 02:53 PM
Choice of only 6 with Vantage? Are you crazy? Vantage's system offers several thousands of combinations to make a custom racquet!!! Or do you seriously think that in a racquet only the headsize and flex matter? So if we follow your way of thinking, length does not matter, string pattern doesn't matter, weight doesn't matter, balance doesn't matter... RUBBISH.

Racketdesign
03-03-2005, 02:54 PM
In your view Safina, what would be the main differences between a 21mm beam and a 19mm beam if all the other specs were equal ? Does beam shape ie box or aero design have any influence on your perception, or do players only consider the width?

iscottius
03-03-2005, 04:38 PM
I think that too much emphasis is put into spec's, i think that feel and playability are what matters. I have hit with racquets that have spec'd out either too light or too stiff, then hit them and really liked them.

I realized that each racquets spec's create the characteristics of that racquet and the racquet can only be judged by the sum of it's parts....how it plays

Safina
03-03-2005, 10:32 PM
Let's just say I think it is RUBBISH that the 90" frame only comes in a 16x19" string pattern! 18x20 should be offered here...

The rest of the customization parts are nice... but i could send my racquets to any number of shops to get a different handle shape or added length... and I could put on a leather or synthetic grip myself!

But it is still a nice additional option to have... I am just saying there is much more room for additional options such as more string patterns and beam thicknesses.

It is good to see that Vantage already has its loyal fanbase ready to beat down any criticism even if it is objective and honest.

All vantage/racketdesign has to say is that it would cost too much to have 10 molds right now... no problem.
enjoy your tennis, mates!

BLiND
03-04-2005, 01:51 AM
Yeah I agree more options would be great, but lets give him time to establish himself... have the options they have is a BIG step in the right direction, but they can't possible hope to cover EVERYONES prefernces. The more racquets people buy from them, the more likely they will intro more options.

AndrewD
03-04-2005, 04:42 AM
No doubt when the initial run of Vantage frames are sold they'll sit back and see what worked and what didn't. If the biggest objection was that there wasn't an 18x20 option available then Im sure they'll rectify it. Most likely though they found that the greatest demand was for 16x19 and it might well be that Vantage felt their frame in that particular headsize plays best with the more open string pattern. Its not for everyone but for those who know exactly what they want and can make the options work for them then it is certainly a valuable commodity previously not offered 'to the masses' (especially those without access to a reliable and high quality proshop or racquet technician) .

gmlasam
03-04-2005, 05:09 AM
Why don't they make 100 si head/27inch POG?
Just curious. There are 93 and 107 POG which are extremely popular. And there is a LB which has 100 (?) and 28 inch length (If I remember correctly. Now it's gone?). Wouldn't it be nice if they make midplus size head+regular length version of POG?They did make them awhile ago, but it did not sell very well, so Prince discontinued them.

BreakPoint
03-04-2005, 11:29 AM
Actually, the 90 sq. in. Vantage frame comes with a 16x18 pattern, not 16x19 pattern.

I agree that Vantage is a move in the right direction. They can come very close, if not exactly, to what many serious players want. Can they make ANY racquet? No. There are just too many parameters so there are limitations. However, they can come pretty darn close to what many people are looking for but can't find in a stock, off-the -shelf racquet from any manufacturer.

Shane Reynolds
03-05-2005, 03:37 AM
Because if they did, there would be posts wanting a 98 1/2" head on a 27.326" body.

stevewcosta
03-05-2005, 07:01 AM
The "problem" w/Vantage is the lack of a box beam and anything under 20MM. If they made a box beam, 95 sq. in. at 18-19MM, I would buy a bunch. I just do not like the hollow feel of the tubular/round frames.

spinbalz
03-08-2005, 12:35 PM
By the way, I have for sale a pair of POG 100 Longbody shortenned to 27" std length. They play very nice this way (with 4 grams of lead tape at 3 o'clock + 4 grams at 9 o'clock), I sell them because I still prefer my current LM Radical Tours, and need some cash to by a couple of T10 G2 for an extended test before the summer season.

If someone is interested, feel free to Email me.

gmlasam
03-08-2005, 12:43 PM
By the way, I have for sale a pair of POG 100 Longbody shortenned to 27" std length. They play very nice this way (with 4 grams of lead tape at 3 o'clock + 4 grams at 9 o'clock), I sell them because I still prefer my current LM Radical Tours, and need some cash to by a couple of T10 G2 for an extended test before the summer season.

If someone is interested, feel free to Email me.
Too bad. A friend of mine was looking for a POG long body. I wonder what the resale value of a shortened POG long body is?

spinbalz
03-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Resale value of my racquets for someone who wants the 28' POG LB = 0 because I don't see how to add some length back

Resale value for someone who already knows that he wants a POG 100 with a std length = the same value as for a POG LB 28"

I sale 1 racquet for $120 shipped. 4-3/8 gripsize