PDA

View Full Version : Article about my coach approaching all time NCAA recored for winningest tennis coach

serveitup911
02-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Article from our athletic website

Furman Men's Tennis Coach Approaching NCAA Milestone
Scarpa Needs Two Wins to Tie All-Time Record

Feb. 25, 2009

Greenville, S.C. - Furman head men's tennis coach Paul Scarpa has amassed 817 victories during his lengthy coaching tenure, and is currently two wins away from being crowned the winningest Division I men's tennis coach of all time. Former University of Hawaii head coach Jim Schwitters holds the record with a mark of 819-409-8 during his 38 seasons. Scarpa will have his first chance to tie the record as Furman hosts Cornell and Dartmouth on Friday, February 27 with play beginning at 1:30 p.m. at the Mickel Tennis Center.

Scarpa is in his 46th season as a men's tennis coach, having spent 43 of those years at Furman. He is not only the longest tenured member of the Furman athletic department, but also the longest tenured head coach in the Southern Conference's 88-year history. Scarpa has compiled a record of 817-510, while annually playing some of the nation's elite tennis programs. His success against SoCon competition is virtually unmatched, as his squads have recorded a 254-36 (.876) mark in league play. Furman has posted 40 consecutive winning seasons in conference play under Scarpa's direction and have finished in first or second place in 36 campaigns.

Despite the fact that the Southern Conference has only recognized a regular-season champion since 1992, Scarpa has managed to win seven titles since that time. His teams have won 13 SoCon Tournament Championships and made four NCAA Tournament appearances. Scarpa has coached many outstanding players, including five NCAA All-Americans, 87 All-SoCon singles players, 77 All-SoCon doubles players, six SoCon Players of the Year, five SoCon Tournament MVPs and four academic All-Americans.

Adding to a lengthy list of honors, Scarpa was inducted into the USTA Southern Tennis Hall of Fame in 2006. He is also in the South Carolina Tennis Hall of Fame (1986) and the Furman Athletic Hall of Fame (1994). Scarpa has been named the Southern Conference Coach of the Year on eight occasions and was honored as the South Carolina Coach of the Year in both 1990 and 2000. The first-ever coach on staff to receive the Furman J. Lyles Alley Coach of the Year award in 1990, Scarpa has been honored with the award twice more since then.

In addition to his prolific coaching record, Scarpa is widely known as an innovator in the sport. Scarpa developed the current dual match scoring system adopted by the NCAA in 1993. Known as the Scarpa System, this "3-6" format specified that all matches begin with doubles play featuring eight-game pro sets with all three doubles teams playing for one team point. The system proved to bring more of a team aspect to what was once an individual sport.

Though his statistics are undoubtedly impressive, perhaps the best way to describe Paul Scarpa is through the words of his players.

"Coach Scarpa shows a dedication for his job and a love of his players that I have never before seen," commented current senior Daniel Knause. "He genuinely cares about his players, not just their tennis games, but also their personal well-being. The passion that he puts into his job makes us want to work harder."

"Coach is approaching an unbelievable achievement and I am extremely proud to have contributed to his record," said fellow senior Andy Juc. "While Coach Scarpa is one of the most passionate and intense people I have ever met, he is not a 'win at all cost' kind of coach. He cares deeply about his players and he's always concerned about the way in which his players represent Furman. He wins in a classy manner and that is what's so amazing about this record. He could have easily had a couple hundred more wins right now by playing more doubleheaders and having an easier schedule over his impressive coaching career. However, he chooses to play about 5 top 20 teams every year and Furman's non-conference schedule is as tough as any in the nation year in and year out. I am sure I am one of about 650 players that would say that it has been a great honor to play for a legend such as Paul Scarpa."

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/furm/sports/m-tennis/auto_action/2792446.jpeg

saram
02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
Wow--what an accomplishment and legacy. Must be kinda cool to play for him!

heninfan99
02-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Amazing pending achievement & career.

BTW, is your coach Teller of Penn & Teller? Could he be doing magic on the side? :shock:
http://www.zombiereportingcenter.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/penn_and_teller_main.jpg

tennismom42
02-27-2009, 08:56 PM
Indeed, Paul Scarpa is my hero too! He gave me & my son a tour of Furman. He is thorough, researches, perceptive, observant, pensive, compassionate, caring in all that he does for tennis. He's one of those people that must have been born with tennis instincts. He is a blessing to the sport!