PDA

View Full Version : Con-Foosed about Poly!!!

Superman1272
02-26-2009, 10:43 AM
Been lurking and reading for a while now but this is my first post... Be kind.

I am switching from a full natural gut string bed to a NG/Poly hybrid. I have already ordered the strings (Klip Legend NG 18g / Babolat Pro Hurricane 18g) and will be stringing up my racquets (Yonex RQS-33) this Friday pm or Saturday am.

I normally string at mid tension (55lbs) and have found that tension to be a little too much power. I am putting the poly in the mains and am assuming that will tighten up the string bed a little and could result in the desired effect I am looking for.

My question is this: DO I STRING THE POLY 10% HIGHER THAN I NORMALLY DO TO OFFSET THE TENSION LOSS THAT I HAVE HEARD SO MUCH ABOUT, OR DO I STRING THE POLY 10% LESS TO OFFSET THE STIFFNESS OF THE STRING?

The reason for my confusion is that I have read contradicting views on the TW site. In the Learning Center article "All About Strings & Stringing", the author writes, quote:

"On the other end of the spectrum, players switching from nylon strings to polyester may want to increase tension 5-10% to compensate for polyester’s high initial tension loss."

But I have read on manufacturer's sites to decrease the tension by 5 -10% if I am changing over to polys from anything else.

What are your thoughts/reccomendations and why?

(I am not really looking for your opinions on the strings that I have selected... they are totally welcome, though... but more so on the WAY to string polys correctly for someone who is venturing out on a limb to try them for the first time)

Thanks in advance!!

Bud
02-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Been lurking and reading for a while now but this is my first post... Be kind.

I am switching from a full natural gut string bed to a NG/Poly hybrid. I have already ordered the strings (Klip Legend NG 18g / Babolat Pro Hurricane 18g) and will be stringing up my racquets (Yonex RQS-33) this Friday pm or Saturday am.

I normally string at mid tension (55lbs) and have found that tension to be a little too much power. I am putting the poly in the mains and am assuming that will tighten up the string bed a little and could result in the desired effect I am looking for.

My question is this: DO I STRING THE POLY 10% HIGHER THAN I NORMALLY DO TO OFFSET THE TENSION LOSS THAT I HAVE HEARD SO MUCH ABOUT, OR DO I STRING THE POLY 10% LESS TO OFFSET THE STIFFNESS OF THE STRING?

The reason for my confusion is that I have read contradicting views on the TW site. In the Learning Center article "All About Strings & Stringing", the author writes, quote:

"On the other end of the spectrum, players switching from nylon strings to polyester may want to increase tension 5-10% to compensate for polyester’s high initial tension loss."

But I have read on manufacturer's sites to decrease the tension by 5 -10% if I am changing over to polys from anything else.

What are your thoughts/reccomendations and why?

(I am not really looking for your opinions on the strings that I have selected... they are totally welcome, though... but more so on the WAY to string polys correctly for someone who is venturing out on a limb to try them for the first time)

Thanks in advance!!

Decrease it... do not increase it.

Superman1272
02-26-2009, 10:49 AM
ok... but WHY?!?! What am I looking to accomplish by doing this?

and why would the LEarning Center tell me to do the opposite?

Not trying to fight or flame... just confused. Any clarity would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Nellie
02-26-2009, 11:06 AM
The poly strings are much more non-elastic than other strings. This is why they offer better control over other string types. However, polys, after stretching beyond their threshold, cannot recover. So the polys lose tension after useage.

A lot of advice with polys relates to stringing a racquet with only the polys. If you want a certain final tension (e.g., 60lbs), you will need to increase tension to achieve that number. Likewise, many stringers pre-stretch polys for a similar reason. If you have a drop weight or a constant pull electronic machine, you likely will not need the additional initial tension to achieve the final desired tension since the stringer will continue to tighten as the strings stretch.

If you compare polys to other strings, the polys are much stiffer at the same tension (again due to the inelastic string). Most people drop the tension in the polys 5-10% when doing a hybrid to acheive a more uniform feel. For example, with equal tensions, your sweetspot may change to be more oval shaped (due to the great string movement with the natural gut). You can determine your own ideal tension through trial and error.

Regarding your string choice, 18g polys will not last long - some posters claim several hours tops. Also, the poly will tend to saw through the gut, especially in a large, open string pattern like your RQS33

Bud
02-26-2009, 11:08 AM
ok... but WHY?!?! What am I looking to accomplish by doing this?

and why would the LEarning Center tell me to do the opposite?

Not trying to fight or flame... just confused. Any clarity would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Poly by nature is much stiffer than anything else except Kevlar. That's why the manufacturer recommends you decrease tension by 10% or so.

True, it does lose its elasticity fairly quickly due to its composition... but even after it loses some elasticity... it's STILL stiff.

The best thing to do is try it both ways and see which option appeals to you (try it 10% less, first). Then come back and report.

Superman1272
02-26-2009, 12:18 PM
The best thing to do is try it both ways and see which option appeals to you (try it 10% less, first). Then come back and report.

I think I will do just that. I will leave one racquet "as is" for now with its full Nat Gut job and string up the other with the Poly/NG hybrid (49lbs/55lbs) and see where the tweaking process takes me from there.

I will report back and try to get more feedback after my Sat. am pick-up matches.

As for the "saw through the gut"... will this still happen with the NG in the crosses? The crosses should be staying relatively still, right? I thought I would be safe from most of the sawing action with this set up.

And I'm not breaking the 16g full NG set up now... I am not a big "slice and dice" type of player. I am more of a big flat 1st serve, slice or kick 2nd, then chip and charge my way to the net. Not a big topspin goundie baseliner. Too much running for an older (36) guy like myself! :-)

mutantducky
02-26-2009, 02:03 PM
I did my Unique poly at plus 2 above mid but really anything else do around the mid or below.