PDA

View Full Version : How do they conduct the draw at a major?

auburnlull
02-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Is there a lottery system that is weighted by ranking or is it purely based on ranking alone?
Do different tournaments have different systems?
Do 1 and 2 seed ever end up in the same half of a draw?
Having started watching pro tennis recently I have quickly realized that match ups are a huge factor.
Pardon my ignorance about this subject and thanks for any info.

egn
02-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Is there a lottery system that is weighted by ranking or is it purely based on ranking alone?
Having started watching pro tennis recently I have quickly realized that match ups are a huge factor.

1 +2 )I believe all majors outside of wimbledon follow atp ranking system and there is some randomization in seeding but I am not sure of how it works.
3) Never but it is random on if 1 or 2 faces 3 or 4 but 1 and 2 will never be in the same half.

THERAFA
02-26-2009, 03:42 PM
How do they decide which side of the draw plays on:
Day
One?

Fee
02-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Here's the ITF rulebook page. This might help those of you with questions about the Slams: http://www.itftennis.com/abouttheitf/rulesregs/rulebooks.asp

The ATP Rulebook is here: http://www.atpworldtour.com/tennis/en/aboutatp/rulebook.asp

Enjoy.

Max G.
02-26-2009, 07:25 PM
The rules for seeding and making GS draws start on page 24 of the ITF rulebook.
I tried copying them here but the formatting got all messed up and unreadable.

LanceStern
02-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Number 1 and Two are always in opposite halves, playing unseeded players for the first round or two in big tournaments. Same with #3 and #4.

But that's about all I know about this

luckyboy1300
02-26-2009, 10:58 PM

there are 32 seeds in a major based on rankings, except wimbledon which has its own seed determination. they are scattered in the draw such that the top 8 seeds get their own section (there are 8 sections) and the remaining are spread out so no 2 seeds will face in a 1st round match, afaik. number 1 seed is always placed on top of the draw and the 2nd seed bottom. the 3 and 4 seeds are randomly placed on each half of the draw.

THERAFA
02-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Is the Australian Open the only slam where one semi gets 2 day break before the final? It impacts heavily the importance of who plays on Day One and who plays on:
Day
Two

luckyboy1300
02-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Is the Australian Open the only slam where one semi gets 2 day break before the final? It impacts heavily the importance of who plays on Day One and who plays on:
Day
Two

the same as the us open is only the slam that does not allow a day off before the finals. all slams should just follow the FO-Wimby format.

THERAFA
02-27-2009, 01:27 AM
I don't mind the US Open because even though they have no rest before the final at least the semis are played on the same day as each other so its:
Fair

vive le beau jeu !
02-27-2009, 01:34 AM
at the moment, a SF between the top 2 seeds is only possible at the masters (if one finishes 1st of his RR group and the other finishes 2nd of the other RR group).
ex: federer [1] d. nadal [2] in the SF of the masters 2006/2007.

you are talking about seeds, right ? (and not ranking)

... because if there is a discrepancy between the seeds and the ranking... you still can have a clash between the top 2 ranked players before the final (in a direct elimination draw, i mean) !
this situation can happen, if a change in the rankings occurs the week where the tournament is starting, like -for instance- a switch between #2 and #3 players (when they make the draw, they take the most recent rankings available... which means the rankings of the week before).

also: in the 80's and before, you had different ranking systems (ATP, GP), so depending on which one is used for a certain tournament, i guess it could also happen ! (and for the gran slam cup in the 90's : i think there were using some special ranking taking into account only slam points for making the seeds... at least during the first editions !)