PDA

View Full Version : Help me with string selection..

marosmith
02-26-2009, 05:57 PM
I have a Head Microgel Instinct.

I just started playing tennis last summer. I try to play 2-5 times per week.

I have a
flat serve
try to come to the net off of bog serves
find I play baseline a majority of the time
My primary shot is na heavy topspin, high, deep reverse forehand

I have a weak backhand, and cannot hit a slice

I want to know what strings would be best for me. I read that natural gut is the gold standard. I do deal with elbow pain at times (I swing like a mad-man). I want a string that allows me to continue heavy topspin, comfortable, and lasts a fair amount of time.

I know this is probably too broad, but any help would be great.

marosmith
02-26-2009, 07:40 PM
hmmmmmmmmmm

meowmix
02-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Natural gut IS the golden standard. It plays well until it breaks, and is a cure for tennis elbow (it, for the most part, reduces elbow pain).

However, given how much tennis you're playing, I don't know how long a set would last you. Considering the exorbitant cost (cheapest ng that's reliable is Klip or Tonic, and that's 25 dollars per set). Also, natural gut isn't exactly topspin oriented.

A good question would be: what are you using now, and how often do you break it?

marosmith
02-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Natural gut IS the golden standard. It plays well until it breaks, and is a cure for tennis elbow (it, for the most part, reduces elbow pain).

However, given how much tennis you're playing, I don't know how long a set would last you. Considering the exorbitant cost (cheapest ng that's reliable is Klip or Tonic, and that's 25 dollars per set). Also, natural gut isn't exactly topspin oriented.

A good question would be: what are you using now, and how often do you break it?

Using the free Wilson strings that come with the racket at TW, and I have yet to break a string.

marosmith
02-26-2009, 08:30 PM
How about this:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACBAB-BTGUT16.html

meowmix
02-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Wait, you haven't broken your strings from a full year ago?

Let me tell you right now, gut is your friend. The problem most people have with gut is that it costs too much and breaks too often. If you're not breaking synthetic gut in a year, you're definately not breaking gut in less than a month (which, IMO, is when gut becomes cost efficient for recreational players).

Tonic+ is a very good gut. It is considered "second gut", gut that has minor imperfections. Essentially, it's Babolat's more expensive gut (VS), with some imperfections. It plays similarly, but is slightly more prone to breaking/inconsistencies.

Also, consider Klip's Armour Pro natural gut for 8 dollars more. That'll be a little more topspin oriented (and aid you in that topspin production), while lasting you a long long time. In any case, you're a player that should be playing with natural gut.

marosmith
02-26-2009, 08:51 PM
So with gut and my racket, what tension would you recommend?

marosmith
02-27-2009, 11:04 AM
I'll ask again since I should clarify. Given that gut supposedly looses it tension, based on my playing style, what tension should I have it strung to?

Any further help would be great!

meowmix
02-27-2009, 03:50 PM
Gut does lose a little bit of tension (3, 4 pounds), as does every string. However, gut is unique in that it only looses a small (comparitively) bit of tension in the 24 hours after stringing, and then maintains its tension well for the rest of the time that it is in the racquet. Of course, you'll notice that if you stick gut in a racket for a year, the tension at the end of the year will end up being quite a few pounds off what it was originally. However, this difference in tension will be very small compared to, say, a quality multi or a polyester.

The strings in your racket now were most likely at around 57, 58 pounds. Now, after a year, I'd be surprised if they were above 45.

With your first experience with gut, I'd say that you should string at 2-3 pounds over the midpoint on the recommended tensions. Since mid range is 57 pounds, I'd try 59 pounds.

marosmith
02-27-2009, 09:08 PM
perfect, thanks