PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't tennis popular in Mexico

ESP#1
02-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Does anyone else find this strange? You would think with the popularity tennis has in Spain, Argentina, Chile and even Peru that tennis would be somewhat popular in Mexico

miniRafa386
02-26-2009, 06:29 PM
i think a big reason is because of the cost tennis brings, and mexico isnt exactly the wealthiest country out there....

marc45
02-26-2009, 06:34 PM
i've wondered too...sure the economy is a big reason, but so many people, great weather...just think what it would do for either tour to have at least one quality player for the country to root for...look what mirza did for india...it would be really great...remember raul ramirez, geez, was he the last?

random guy
02-26-2009, 06:37 PM
i think a big reason is because of the cost tennis brings, and mexico isnt exactly the wealthiest country out there....

I don't think that that's the reason. Acapulco is the most important tournament in the South American clay season and has some major infrastructure and gives the most money in prizes. Maybe is that it just hasn't been big tennis players coming from there for a while so interest is dwindled. I'm sure that they can afford good tennis courts and training facilities. For instance, the Mexican football league is the most important in terms of money (not in talent, they suck most of the times compared to Brazil or Argentina). A lot of argentinean or brazilian players that can't make it to european teams end up in Mexico because is a smart choice money wise.

EasleyTennis
02-26-2009, 06:38 PM
i've wondered too...sure the economy is a big reason, but so many people, great weather...just think what it would do for either tour to have at least one quality player for the country to root for...look what mirza did for india...it would be really great...remember raul ramirez, geez, was he the last?

Seems as if they're raised to play soccer mostly, and baseball.

ESP#1
02-26-2009, 06:39 PM

It isnt but they have a substantial middle and upper class just like Argentina and Chile

ESP#1
02-26-2009, 06:41 PM
The reason I ask is because I noticed alot of the seats were empty at the tourney they're hosting

maverick66
02-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Seems as if they're raised to play soccer mostly, and baseball.

i would say boxing is bigger for them than both those things. ask a mexican about boxing and they will almost always talk about it with pride.

Beasty54
02-26-2009, 07:07 PM
Because Tequila is more popular.

dirtballer
02-27-2009, 04:00 AM
Mexico had great players in the 1960s and early 70s. Rafael Osuna was one of the best players in the world before he tragically died in a plane crash. John McEnroe's old coach Tony Palofax was a fine doubles player. Joachim Loyo-Mayo I believe was an NCAA champion. Also, Raul Ramirez was one of the best doubles players in the world. After Ramirez, Mexico hit a dry spell. I think the potential is still there for a revival but it will probably take an infusion of money.

ESP#1
02-27-2009, 08:32 AM
I think so also, the certainly have the location to have tennis all year round not to mention potential

latinking
02-27-2009, 09:52 AM
i would say boxing is bigger for them than both those things. ask a mexican about boxing and they will almost always talk about it with pride.

I agree, Boxing is huge in Mexico!!!!

tahiti
02-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Good question, never thought about it before. I have no idea.

saram
02-27-2009, 10:10 AM
First thing that came to my mind (that has already been mentioned) is money. Not a very wealthy country by any means. Soccer and boxing are huge south of the border. As to the exact answer--I'll have to agree with tahiti's last sentence.

cknobman
02-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Cause they are all hopping the border (illegally mind you) to America!!!!!

tennislover33
02-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Does anyone else find this strange? You would think with the popularity tennis has in Spain, Argentina, Chile and even Peru that tennis would be somewhat popular in Mexico

Because SOCCER is one of their religion. 10/10 Mexicans love soccer.

saram
02-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Because SOCCER is one of their religion. 10/10 Mexicans love soccer.

Maybe even 11/10 they love it so much!

saram
02-27-2009, 10:35 AM

Zip it....that was uncalled for.

jt1224x0
02-27-2009, 11:28 AM
I don't think that that's the reason. Acapulco is the most important tournament in the South American clay season and has some major infrastructure and gives the most money in prizes. Maybe is that it just hasn't been big tennis players coming from there for a while so interest is dwindled. I'm sure that they can afford good tennis courts and training facilities. For instance, the Mexican football league is the most important in terms of money (not in talent, they suck most of the times compared to Brazil or Argentina). A lot of argentinean or brazilian players that can't make it to european teams end up in Mexico because is a smart choice money wise.

Acapulco is in North America!!! not South America

downthewall
02-27-2009, 11:32 AM
maybe because the country is poor and has other priorites like eating?

SourStraws
02-27-2009, 11:37 AM

Wow.... You're mature </Sarcasm>

I think the major reason is probably just an interest in other things.... Such as the aforementioned boxing and soccer.... And the not-so-good economy in Mexico. I guess it could also be that Mexico doesnt have enough funds to support a variety of associations like the U.S. does as well

S.S.