PDA

View Full Version : London Times: Murray has mono

batz
02-27-2009, 04:32 AM
In a volte face from their stated view yeterday, The Times is today reporting that Murray has mono - albeit a mild form.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article5811232.ece

ElMagoElGato
02-27-2009, 04:35 AM
Maybe he beat Federer too many times.

gj011
02-27-2009, 04:45 AM
I really hope this is not true and that he recovers quickly.

oranges
02-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Maybe he beat Federer too many times.

What a lame joke at something that isn't funny to begin with :roll:

luckyboy1300
02-27-2009, 04:48 AM
well i can't even imagine federer transferring the mono to murray. can anyone? lol

batz
02-27-2009, 04:50 AM

Harman is one of the closest journalists to Team Murray so I have to say I'm worried at this news.

That said, Harman got the recent K-swiss/ Murray deal wrong in a big way recently - let's hope he's wrong about this.

saram
02-27-2009, 05:29 AM
This is horrible for men's tennis. Just horrible. Top two out with injuries, Murray with mono and Novak not looking healthy to me, either.

coloskier
02-27-2009, 05:54 AM
What a lame joke at something that isn't funny to begin with :roll:

Let's not even talk about how Murray got mono from Fed, because mono is nicknamed "The Kissing Disease". :shock:

Underhand
02-27-2009, 05:59 AM
Let's not even talk about how Murray got mono from Fed, because mono is nicknamed "The Kissing Disease". :shock:

Well then Wawrinka would have it first.

icedevil0289
02-27-2009, 06:00 AM
Well then first Wawrinka would have it.

rafa should probably start praying that he doesn't have it since he and roger are so close.

obnoxious2
02-27-2009, 06:05 AM
Well then Wawrinka would have it first.

LOL wow. Have you guys never taken sex ed? You do know you can get mono other than from kissing right? Like from drinking from other people's drinks

Underhand
02-27-2009, 06:09 AM
LOL wow. Have you guys never taken sex ed? You do know you can get mono other than from kissing right? Like from drinking from other people's drinks

You mean Federer brought some champagne into the hotel room?

Pantaloukas
02-27-2009, 06:10 AM

This.

I seen Murray and Rafa sharing Apple Martinis @ the rainbow club the other night...

Pics to follow.

JediMindTrick
02-27-2009, 06:22 AM
well i can't even imagine federer transferring the mono to murray. can anyone? lol

Are you saying Federer and Murray are hidding something?:)

mandy01
02-27-2009, 06:24 AM
Thats really sad.I hope he recovers soon

LanceStern
02-27-2009, 06:28 AM

XD.

But in all serious, that would absolutely suck if Murray caught Mono. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?

vtmike
02-27-2009, 06:48 AM
XD.

But in all serious, that would absolutely suck if Murray caught Mono. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants?

Nadal's luck just changed BIG time for the rest of the season if this is true...he is the only player who can beat Nadal on the big stage and has confidence against him...

First Fed and now Murray...I wonder if uncle Toni is poisining them with mono to get all thorns out of Nadal's way :-P

ksbh
02-27-2009, 06:58 AM
Oh boy, not very good news. The guy with the biggest hard court prospects (besides the top dogs) gets taken down by mono.

I really was looking forward to see Andy Murray finally come good with his potential at the slams. I hope he recovers quickly.

tennis_hand
02-27-2009, 07:30 AM
read the article, or at least search the article.
it never mentions anything about mono.
stupid thread.

tudwell
02-27-2009, 07:39 AM
read the article, or at least search the article.
it never mentions anything about mono.
stupid thread.
Second sentence: "...Murray's case is a mild form of glandular fever..." Glandular fever is another name for mononucleosis. So yes, it is mono.

Sentinel
02-27-2009, 07:43 AM
This is horrible for men's tennis. Just horrible. Top two out with injuries, Murray with mono and Novak not looking healthy to me, either.

^^ You forgot : Federer *still* has remnants of mono ! (hehe)

oranges
02-27-2009, 07:45 AM
Will you stop making lame jokes. The guy is ill, it's not funny a tiny bit. Hopefully, it will be as mild as possible, otherwise, he could lose 2 years of career like Ancic.

babbette
02-27-2009, 07:55 AM
This is sad news. Of course I was never his biggest fan but tennis is always at it's best when all top guys are in shape. :(

Hope he can recover quickly.

zagor
02-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Wish him to recover as fast as possible.Was sad to hear this,not my favourite player but he's definitely good for tennis as he's one of the few that can take it to both Fed and Nadal and challenge them(atleast on HC).These are some really bad news,hope he recovers.

Will you stop making lame jokes. The guy is ill, it's not funny a tiny bit. Hopefully, it will be as mild as possible, otherwise, he could lose 2 years of career like Ancic.

Whose life was in danger,I'm not exaggarating as I remember him saying that the doctors told him that effects could have been fatal given that he was playing hard matches without knowing he had mono.

GameSampras
02-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Murray has mono now? Has he been kissing Federer? Whats the deal here? This stinks. I guess that explains the AUstralian

OddJack
02-27-2009, 08:14 AM

Do you think people really laugh at your silly stupid oneliners you sick piece of *****?

OddJack
02-27-2009, 08:20 AM
When people get mono at older ages it is usually harder than when you get it at early ages. That's what happened to Roger. Hopefully Murray will recover soon and get back to his recent excellent form.

pound cat
02-27-2009, 08:21 AM
In a volte face from their stated view yeterday, The Times is today reporting that Murray has mono - albeit a mild form.

Yesterday

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article5809092.ece

Murray maintained he had extensive blood tests carried out in London earlier this month which would seem to rule out the possibility of glandular fever that has affected Roger Federer and seriously hampered the career of Croatia’s Mario Ancic. However his symptoms are ominous. “It’s the head, the throat and just aching generally,” he said. “My arms and legs are just feeling stiff and sore. Everything but my stomach is not feeling great.”

Now, if you notice, yesterday's article was written by Barry Flatman.

To-days article was written by Neil Harman

so, who got it right???

I put my bets on Flatman who presented a factual article complete with a relevant quote by quote by Murray.

To-day's article mentioning something about eggs??? is IMO a case of flowery journalistic drama....

... “I woke up in the middle of the night sweating,” said the 21 year-old who ironically was stricken with a virus the last time the British team played in Glasgow two years ago and could only face Serbia and Montenegro in the doubles.

Hmmmmmm

pound cat
02-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Murray has mono now? Has he been kissing Federer? Whats the deal here? This stinks. I guess that explains the AUstralian

See above for the real deal!

rubberduckies
02-27-2009, 08:26 AM
When people get mono at older ages it is usually harder than when you get it at early ages. That's what happened to Roger. Hopefully Murray will recover soon and get back to his recent excellent form.

If he's fortunate enough to get Roger's brand of mono, then he should be back in no time and be able to blame he losses on it.

seffina
02-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Hope he gets better soon.

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 08:45 AM
If he's fortunate enough to get Roger's brand of mono, then he should be back in no time and be able to blame he losses on it.
If he had Roger's brand of mono , he wouldn't even have retired from Dubai!

The-Champ
02-27-2009, 08:49 AM

don't forget nadal's knees. Goodbye Sampras record :)

icedevil0289
02-27-2009, 08:52 AM

oh god,:roll:

The-Champ
02-27-2009, 08:59 AM

Monocleosis is like hepatitis, you don't have to kiss someone to get it.

Now that Murray is sick, Novak is not looking too sharp and Rafa has knee issues, say goodbye to Sampras' record.

latinking
02-27-2009, 09:06 AM
That sucks. Hope he gets over it quick. Either way, once you have mono you have it in your system for life. And can come back, but never really hits you with the same effect as the frist time. Etheir way, Sucks.

GameSampras
02-27-2009, 09:07 AM

Now that Murray is sick, Novak is not looking too sharp and Rafa has knee issues, say goodbye to Sampras' record.

LOL... We'lll see. Fed needs two more. I think its a necessity he gets at least one this year. If he goes slamless this year, he may never get another one. THe field will get better and he will continue to decline.

mandy01
02-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Here we go again..same old crapola:roll:

latinking
02-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Damn, this was supposed to be such an exciting year. Now seems like the Top 4 are all out with something and Novak just doesn't seem himself. Not good for Tennis!!

Alexio92
02-27-2009, 09:09 AM
This is federers time to shine again then

The-Champ
02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
LOL... We'lll see. Fed needs two more. I think its a necessity he gets at least one this year. If he goes slamless this year, he may never get another one. THe field will get better and he will continue to decline.

2? If federer wins the FO, he basically trumps everything Sampras has done.

OddJack
02-27-2009, 09:19 AM
The hate's really killing you aint it you little bugs. Nadal screws up a knee you talk about Federer, Murray gets sick you talk about Federer, world's economy slumps you talk about Federer, cant stop pouring the crap out can you.

tahiti
02-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Calm down everybody I don't where you get your medical information but with a headache the net can tell you it might be a tumour! This is just from one Medical Doctors site online. I've had glandular fever I was over it a few weeks no big deal and I know the same with others to.
How Can I Get Better?
There is no cure for mononucleosis. But the good news is that even if you do nothing, the illness will go away by itself, usually in 3 to 4 weeks. Because mono is caused by a virus, antibiotics such as penicillin won't help unless you have an additional infection like strep throat. In fact, certain antibiotics can even cause a rash if you take them while you have mono.

federerdomination
02-27-2009, 09:21 AM
2? If federer wins the FO, he basically trumps everything Sampras has done.

True but I think he can already trump everything Sampras has done simply by getting one more slam (regardless of surface) because he has 3 FO finals.

edmondsm
02-27-2009, 09:33 AM
How do these tennis players keep getting mono? I've heard of more tennis players getting mono in the last 3 years then I've heard of in my entire personal life.

edmondsm
02-27-2009, 09:35 AM
True but I think he can already trump everything Sampras has done simply by getting one more slam (regardless of surface) because he has 3 FO finals.

I think he already has. 3 FO finals and a semi vs. 1 semi and 3 quarters. Say what you will about the competition faced or the surfaces changing. If results talk then Federer results say he's better then Sampras IMO.

sureshs
02-27-2009, 09:38 AM
I knew something like this would happen ....

http://www.andy-murray.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/murray-federer.jpg

tangerine
02-27-2009, 09:42 AM
I don't think it's a coincidence that Murray was last seen hanging around Federer at the player's party before he came down with mono. :o

GameSampras
02-27-2009, 09:42 AM
I think he already has. 3 FO finals and a semi vs. 1 semi and 3 quarters. Say what you will about the competition faced or the surfaces changing. If results talk then Federer results say he's better then Sampras IMO.

Ehhh.. It goes deeper than just plain numbers and results IMO. But whatever floats your boat. Numbers arent the be all end all in sports. If so.. Michael Jordan isnt nearly the greatest basketball player in history

GameSampras
02-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Roger will only be the GOAT from purely statistics results standpoint. That doesnt negate the fact that cant defeat his rival.

GameSampras
02-27-2009, 09:54 AM
And you *******s are hillarious. You know how pathetic u sound almost HOPING Nadal is hurt so Fed can win a slam. LOL!!!

Thats pretty bad that Fed's only chance of winning a slam is when Nadal isnt around or less than 100 percent. Yet you have the audacity to put Roger ahead of Pete? Please!!!

zagor
02-27-2009, 09:55 AM
don't forget nadal's knees. Goodbye Sampras record :)

Lol,you do enjoy annoying them,don't you :)?

The hate's really killing you aint it you little bugs. Nadal screws up a knee you talk about Federer, Murray gets sick you talk about Federer, world's economy slumps you talk about Federer, cant stop pouring the crap out can you.

Well it's true that in this forum the most common topic is Federer,even some Nadal fans talk more about Federer than their hero Rafa.They love to hate him so to speak,Fed is like a main villain from the movie for them.

Ehhh.. It goes deeper than just plain numbers and results IMO. But whatever floats your boat. Numbers arent the be all end all in sports. If so.. Michael Jordan isnt nearly the greatest basketball player in history

Eh,it makes little sense comparing a team sport to a single one,in basketball you depend a lot on your team no matter how great of a player you are while in tennis you're all by yourself out there.

Although I agree with your main premise,it ain't that simple,you can't merely look at the result and statistics(although they play a huge factor as well)and draw a conclusion,you have to consider other factors as well.

As I said before I won't put Fed over your idol even if he does break the slam record *if* he never beats Nadal in a slam final again.If he beats Nadal in 1-2slam finals more and gets the slam record I'll give him the nod over Pete although that will always remain a neverending debate.

GameSampras
02-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Lol,you do enjoy annoying them,don't you :)?

Well it's true that in this forum the most common topic is Federer,even some Nadal fans talk more about Federer than their hero Rafa.They love to hate him so to speak,Fed is like a main villain from the movie for them.

Eh,it makes little sense comparing a team sport to a single one,in basketball you depend a lot on your team no matter how great of a player you are while in tennis you're all by yourself out there.

Although I agree with your main premise,it ain't that simple,you can't merely look at the result and statistics(although they play a huge factor as well)and draw a conclusion,you have to consider other factors as well.

As I said before I won't put Fed over your idol even if he does break the slam record *if* he never beats Nadal in a slam final again.If he beats Nadal in 1-2slam finals more and gets the slam record I'll give him the nod over Pete although that will always remain a neverending debate.

Agreed. I will put Fed over Pete too IF... he can defeat Nadal in route to his slams. Thats the only way. Fed and his fans shouldnt have to hope Fed bypasses Nadal, a player hes had a horrible h2h against in order to win a slam. If Fed is truly among the greatest he would rise to the challenge and defeat Nadal. How many opportunities do u need?

zagor
02-27-2009, 09:59 AM
And you *******s are hillarious. You know how pathetic u sound almost HOPING Nadal is hurt so Fed can win a slam. LOL!!!

Thats pretty bad that Fed's only chance of winning a slam is when Nadal isnt around or less than 100 percent. Yet you have the audacity to put Roger ahead of Pete? Please!!!

Let's not pull that card shall we? Considering their ranking if they meet at slam it will be in final or semis(if Fed drops a bit more in the rankings)you don't get to slam semi or final without playing great tennis.No less that 100% excuses for either side.

And no matter what anyone hopes or doesn't hope Nadal is 22,whatever injuries he has he'll still recover so you don't need to worry about that.His time still hasn't come.

The Champ is just pulling your leg knowing how much you root against Fed so he doesn't break Pete's slam record.

batz
02-27-2009, 10:01 AM
Does every thread on here end up about Rafa v Roger?

zagor
02-27-2009, 10:05 AM

In short yes.I'm sorry about your guy.I hope he recovers,he's great for tennis as he has the game and attitude to shake up Nadal-Fed hold on tennis and stir up things.If he recovers well from this sickness I still consider him to be one of the main favourites for USO this year.Tennis needs Murray to be healthy and at his best.

GameSampras
02-27-2009, 10:06 AM

They started it. LOL:twisted:

Well Murray is mono stricken. Djoker hasnt played Djoker tennis in quite a while. What else is there to talk about but Roger and nads? There certainly isnt much going on at the slams outside of those two.

GameSampras
02-27-2009, 10:08 AM
U know its pretty sad. I feel bad for Murray. Just when it looked like he was going to become a major player, possibly winning his first slam at the AO, this happens. I would have liked his chances against Nadal at the AO to be honest, Fed as well.

You could tell he didnt look 100 percent against Verdasco

rubberduckies
02-27-2009, 10:18 AM

This was a thread about Murray's MONO. Of course Roger gets mentioned because he allegedly had mono last year. We mention Ancic because he had mono, and nobody complains. People mention Nadal because of his injury and Djokovic because of his problems, and nobody complains. All of that is reasonable discussion in a thread focused on the ailments of a top pro. Roger is the only one who can't be criticized, right?

The fact is that mono differs greatly in its severity. If Murray has something like an Ancic-brand mono, then he's in some serious trouble. If Murray has something like a Federer-brand mono, then he'll be able to continue to compete. Maybe he might to lose to Fish in Semifinal or, heavens forbid, Djokovic, but he will not be losing a year of his career the way Ancic did.

NamRanger
02-27-2009, 10:39 AM

So it's ok for Murray to have mono, but not Federer.

batz
02-27-2009, 10:48 AM
This was a thread about Murray's MONO. Of course Roger gets mentioned because he allegedly had mono last year. We mention Ancic because he had mono, and nobody complains. People mention Nadal because of his injury and Djokovic because of his problems, and nobody complains. All of that is reasonable discussion in a thread focused on the ailments of a top pro. Roger is the only one who can't be criticized, right?

The fact is that mono differs greatly in its severity. If Murray has something like an Ancic-brand mono, then he's in some serious trouble. If Murray has something like a Federer-brand mono, then he'll be able to continue to compete. Maybe he might to lose to Fish in Semifinal or, heavens forbid, Djokovic, but he will not be losing a year of his career the way Ancic did.

I think you miss my point. Of course Roger's and Rafa's illnesses and injuries are pertinent. How we get from there to which of them is best is the bit I'm struggling with, but it's no big deal, I asked a question and got an answer.

tintin
02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Karma's a b!tch indeed

batz
02-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Karma's a b!tch indeed

And Murray deserves to contract mono because.....:confused:

icedevil0289
02-27-2009, 10:54 AM

Its quite simple really. Since its federer, certain people, namely *********s, have doubts about everything concerning federer. If reports came tomorrow about nadal possibly having mono, veroniquem and other nadal fans would be praying like their lives depended on it.

Oui, c'est moi.
02-27-2009, 10:54 AM

:shock:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Murray may not be a fave player of mine but this is really sad to hear.

And i can't believe how low some people here will go with some of the comments coming out. The guy might have an illness. How is that amusing? :???:

ksbh
02-27-2009, 11:11 AM
If it's true, that's truly pathetic. Disgusting, if you ask me.

ksbh
02-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Exactly. I guess some morons are just too insecure to see a fit Murray contend for championships.

:shock:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Murray may not be a fave player of mine but this is really sad to hear.

And i can't believe how low some people here will go with some of the comments coming out. The guy might have an illness. How is that amusing? :???:

edberg505
02-27-2009, 11:15 AM
If it's true, that's truly pathetic. Disgusting, if you ask me.

LOL, take that Sampras' testicle hugger's words with the proverbial grain of salt.

ksbh
02-27-2009, 11:17 AM
ROFL X 20!

I couldn't help envisioning though ... GameSampras, with arms stretched out wide in either direction, struggling to hug it because Sampras was known to have the biggest balls on tour! LOL!

LOL, take that Sampras' testicle hugger's words with the proverbial grain of salt.

dandaman
02-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Calm down everybody I don't where you get your medical information but with a headache the net can tell you it might be a tumour! This is just from one Medical Doctors site online. I've had glandular fever I was over it a few weeks no big deal and I know the same with others to.
How Can I Get Better?
There is no cure for mononucleosis. But the good news is that even if you do nothing, the illness will go away by itself, usually in 3 to 4 weeks. Because mono is caused by a virus, antibiotics such as penicillin won't help unless you have an additional infection like strep throat. In fact, certain antibiotics can even cause a rash if you take them while you have mono.

Glandular fever differs greatly in severity. I know quite a few people who had it the way you did. They got over it in 2 or 3 weeks and thats it. One friend of mine had it so mildly that he only really felt bad for a few day's.

I myself had Glandular fever last summer and wasn't able to touch a racket for over 3 months. For 3 weeks i was hardly able to stand up, i was that weak. I got it that bad because i kep't on playing tournies although i was feeling weak. A good friend of mine even needed to stay in Hospital for a few weeks.

So, let's just hope Murray has a weaker less aggressive kind of mono, more like federer had.

dandaman
02-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Sorry for the double post. But i couldn't find the edit button.

I'm also suprised how many tennis players seem to get mono.
Even at the local tournies i play. There's always at least someone who has it.

But then again. Statistically....more than 90% of people over the age of 30 already had mono( 50% of those don't notice it or think it was just a flu)

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 12:20 PM
All I'm saying is that Roger didn't retire from any tournament due to mono. So Murray already appears to be sicker than Roger!

Oui, c'est moi.
02-27-2009, 01:38 PM
All I'm saying is that Roger didn't retire from any tournament due to mono. So Murray already appears to be sicker than Roger!
Look, i'm sure there are a lot of people who are tired of having to repeat themselves over and over again due to your lack of perspective. Which miraculously happens every time the word 'Federer' appears. So let's just leave it at this: maybe it's time to remind you that Fed played no warm-up tourney prior to AO last year.
No he didn't retire from a tournament but for Roger not to play at least one warm-up before a slam is somewhat uncommon. I think i remember it happening once before in the past 3-4 years. Even the slightly prejudiced would accept that he was not his usual self in Melbourne and clearly struggling (i'm talking about 2008 here).

I'm sure you'll if and but your way out of this as usual..

If that 'Murray already appears to be sicker than Roger' bit is suppose to be in any way a gibe at either Murray or Federer then i have lost any thread of repect i ever had for you.

tennis-hero
02-27-2009, 01:52 PM
^^ You forgot : Federer *still* has remnants of mono ! (hehe)

seriously lame

zagor
02-27-2009, 02:13 PM

Oh please,you and other Nadal fans here where just itching to get a go at Roger(again)for daring to declare he had mono last year(and because you can't stand the guy in general)and this thread presented you with another opportunity.It has nothing to do with Murray and you know it.

As for Roger is the only one that can't be criticized,don't make me laugh.Alongside maybe Djokovic and Roddick Federer is the most criticized player in this forum,he gets criticized for every smallest thing he says or does and his interviews and statements are psychoanalyzed to bits by TW keyboard "experts" from the Nadal camp here.

pound cat
02-27-2009, 02:22 PM
no one on this message board reads anything but their own post and who if anyone replied to their post.

So here I go again MURRAY DOES NOT HAVE MONO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle5809092.ece

Murray maintained he had extensive blood tests carried out in London earlier this month which would seem to rule out the possibility of glandular fever that has affected Roger Federer and seriously hampered the career of Croatia’s Mario Ancic. However his symptoms are ominous. “It’s the head, the throat and just aching generally,” he said. “My arms and legs are just feeling stiff and sore. Everything but my stomach is not feeling great.”

Now, if you notice, yesterday's article was written by Barry Flatman.

To-days article was written by Neil Harman

so, who got it right???

I put my bets on Flatman who presented a factual article complete with a relevant quote by quote by Murray.

To-day's article mentioning something about eggs??? is IMO a case of flowery journalistic drama....

... “I woke up in the middle of the night sweating,” said the 21 year-old who ironically was stricken with a virus the last time the British team played in Glasgow two years ago and could only face Serbia and Montenegro in the doubles.

Make that of what you will.

fastdunn
02-27-2009, 04:33 PM
rafa should probably start praying that he doesn't have it since he and roger are so close.

as far as i know, almost everybody contracts mono virus by the age of 25.

something like 95% of them develop anti-body without noticing much symtoms.

Some of the rest (~5%) develop severe symtoms and reoccurences like Mario Ancic, or some of them develop relatively mild case like Federer.

so i think most players including Nadal are very likely to already have anti-bodies and people like you and me probably already have the anti-bodies......

Mansewerz
02-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Holy crap, when I heard Murray retired from his match, I joking said Federer gave him "the mono". Looks like I may have jinxed him.

Please spare me!!! :D

Mansewerz
02-27-2009, 04:39 PM

Some of the rest (~5%) develop severe symtoms and reoccurences like Mario Ancic, or some of them develop relatively mild case like Federer.

so i think most players including Nadal are very likely to already have anti-bodies and people like you and me probably already have the anti-bodies......

Many younger kids have mono. It's usually pretty mild, and they form the antibody then.

The-Champ
02-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Holy crap, when I heard Murray retired from his match, I joking said Federer gave him "the mono". Looks like I may have jinxed him.

Please spare me!!! :D

So you're the one GameSampras should be mad at. :)

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Look, i'm sure there are a lot of people who are tired of having to repeat themselves over and over again due to your lack of perspective. Which miraculously happens every time the word 'Federer' appears. So let's just leave it at this: maybe it's time to remind you that Fed played no warm-up tourney prior to AO last year.
No he didn't retire from a tournament but for Roger not to play at least one warm-up before a slam is somewhat uncommon. I think i remember it happening once before in the past 3-4 years. Even the slightly prejudiced would accept that he was not his usual self in Melbourne and clearly struggling (i'm talking about 2008 here).

If that 'Murray already appears to be sicker than Roger' bit is suppose to be in any way a gibe at either Murray or Federer then i have lost any thread of repect i ever had for you.
Didn't he play Kooyong in 2008? I didn't remember. Thanks for reminding me.

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 05:11 PM

Nadal is not injured, he's preparing for Davis Cup right now, the knee thing was minor, it recovered very quickly.

Mansewerz
02-27-2009, 05:31 PM

A year? I think Ancic lost more than that in the grand scheme of things. His career is now a 2nd rate career when he could've been so much better.

Spin Doctor
02-27-2009, 07:17 PM

I don't doubt what you say. But this still doesn't explain why so many pro tennis players come down with serious mono. I've never heard of any other sport where so many elite athletes have come down with it. I really don't understand it. I also don't understand the diagnosis of it since it seems like both Murray and Federer underwent a battery of tests that found nothing. Surely competent doctors should be able to diagnose something like this?

Sentinel
02-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Whatever it is, hope Murray recovers fast. Would like to see Jock and andy in top form.

I've never heard of any other sport where so many elite athletes have come down with it.?
Heard quite a lot about it in athletic circles. I think the endurance events really take a heavy toll on the body.

edit: my apologies for the lame humor

paulorenzo
02-27-2009, 08:31 PM
Do you think people really laugh at your silly stupid oneliners you sick piece of *****?

yep. people do.

paulorenzo
02-27-2009, 08:38 PM

oh but still, i'd take jordan's numbers anyday. :D

Feña14
02-27-2009, 09:22 PM
Nadal is not injured, he's preparing for Davis Cup right now, the knee thing was minor, it recovered very quickly.

Why am I not surprised?

vtmike
02-27-2009, 09:41 PM

I know I am one of them...

It took you that long??

asafi2
02-27-2009, 10:13 PM
oh but still, i'd take jordan's numbers anyday. :D

Ya I'm not sure what GameSampras is talking about...Jordan's numbers are off the charts..especially for a guard.

TheTruth
02-28-2009, 06:27 AM

You really think so? If final appearances carried any weight, then Lendl would have had a strong case for being the "GOAT." Final appearances don't count. You have to win them.

KerryJ
02-28-2009, 06:28 AM

This is weird. It's the second time in the past 24 hours I've seen this guy post something positive/sympathetic.

Leublu tennis
02-28-2009, 08:42 AM
LOL wow. Have you guys never taken sex ed? You do know you can get mono other than from kissing right? Like from drinking from other people's drinksToilet seat?

moonbat
02-28-2009, 08:49 AM
I knew something like this would happen ....

http://www.andy-murray.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/murray-federer.jpg

Heh!!! Looks like Fed won that match...

moonbat
02-28-2009, 09:00 AM
Whatever it is, hope Murray recovers fast. Would like to see Jock and andy in top form.

Heard quite a lot about it in athletic circles. I think the endurance events really take a heavy toll on the body.

edit: my apologies for the lame humor

Yep...I think it has to do with too much wear and tear on the body; the immune system breaks down. Or it could be one of those "Get To Know The Players" parties that did the trick...:twisted:

TennezSport
02-28-2009, 09:15 AM

Are you sure about this because Ferrer just stated at the Dubai tourny that they (the Spanish team) was still not sure of the lineup. Rafa is listed but supposedly testing his knee.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

Oui, c'est moi.
02-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Didn't he play Kooyong in 2008? I didn't remember. Thanks for reminding me.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/7174870.stm

Blast from the near past.

It took you that long??
You try to turn a blind eye to it because you want to give the benefit of the doubt.

But after a while it starts to grate on you.
There is a limit to how long you can toy with someone's patience.

TennezSport
02-28-2009, 12:31 PM
This mono thing actually happens more than people realize due to the constant traveling. Always eating at different places around the world where you don't know how the food or drinks are being handled. This is always a danger for the Pros.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

LanceStern
02-28-2009, 09:26 PM
You really think so? If final appearances carried any weight, then Lendl would have had a strong case for being the "GOAT." Final appearances don't count. You have to win them.

He's saying it because Federer would be able to match pete's (who is considered GOAT) record of # of slams but also was a much better clay courter. That would make Fed better and GOAT. At least with that logic, and it makes sense.

Not to mention Fed did it by taking the USOpen 5 times in a row, Wimbledon 5 times in a row and 3 AO, one of which was won without losing a set the entire tournament.

Cyan
03-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Is this true?

batz
03-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Murray has just pulled out of GB's DC match this weekend. Says he still feels awful, but no update on whether or nopt it's mono:

"Obviously, I'm very disappointed that I won't be playing in Glasgow this week, but the doctor has told me that I need complete rest for at least seven days, and I have to respect that.

"I hoped that pulling out of Dubai when I did would give me enough time to recover, but this virus has hit me harder than any illness I've had before and I still feel terrible.