PDA

View Full Version : Weight of ALU Power versus PL2

PED
02-27-2009, 07:12 AM
I'm noticing a difference in my racquet's strung weight of around 2 grams between a full job of Pro Line 2 versus a full job of ALU.

Does that sound about right? I assumed that most polys weighed the same:confused:

TennisandMusic
02-27-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm noticing a difference in my racquet's strung weight of around 2 grams between a full job of Pro Line 2 versus a full job of ALU.

Does that sound about right? I assumed that most polys weighed the same:confused:

Which one is more?

PED
02-28-2009, 04:13 AM
ALU by the 2g which I would assume would also affect the SW. It's an SW of 326 with full PL2.

jcstennis
02-28-2009, 04:33 AM
it will affect SW, does the sweet spot feel different to you? the more weight away from the handle, the higher the sweet spot gets...

plus these strings may be different polymers... co-poly, modified polys, transparent, etc... one more dense than the other...

i don't think minimum gauge change will affect weight balance... (like 1.30mm vs 1.25 mm).

PED
02-28-2009, 08:31 AM
JCS, the sweetspot feels about the same. I do love the PL2! With my schedule this week, I've only been able to use it for 3 days but if it hold tension well, then I will order up a bunch.

2 Questions

I've got 2g of lead at 12 oclock and my SW is now 326. I want to bump it up to the 329g SW of the Mid. Do you think another 1g would do the trick. I'm just looking for a guestimate-with no lead the sw was 321. Adding 2g at 12:00 bumped the SW up to 326 so I figure 1 more gram might do the trick. I've got a friend with an RDC but I don't want to wear out my welcome too often ;)

2. Have you ever used PL2 in the 1.30mm size, it sounds interesting to me with the open pattern in the Pro. I don't know why I just don't leave well enough alone, I love the 1.25 so I should leave it at that.....but of course I won't :)

jcstennis
03-01-2009, 06:44 AM
i only have used the 1.25... not bad, stringing full ALU R now,so thereis no hope for me now :)... working on a project racquet.. a swirly 2001 pure control, got it all beat up... stripped it and doing a home made pj :)

have you tried TW's SW computer... i have not... but it should help with spec'n your racquet.

corners
03-01-2009, 07:05 AM
2 Questions

I've got 2g of lead at 12 oclock and my SW is now 326. I want to bump it up to the 329g SW of the Mid. Do you think another 1g would do the trick. I'm just looking for a guestimate-with no lead the sw was 321. Adding 2g at 12:00 bumped the SW up to 326 so I figure 1 more gram might do the trick. I've got a friend with an RDC but I don't want to wear out my welcome too often ;)

2. Have you ever used PL2 in the 1.30mm size, it sounds interesting to me with the open pattern in the Pro. I don't know why I just don't leave well enough alone, I love the 1.25 so I should leave it at that.....but of course I won't :)

If you're at 326 SW with the PL2, then you're right: add 1 more gram at 12 and you're at 329. If you go back to Alu, the 2 grams that the heavier string adds to the frame would also bring you to 329.

So there you have it: for your racquet, adding 1 gram at 3&9 (or in strings) adds 1.5 SW point. Adding 1 gram at 12 adds 3 SW points.

You can figure this stuff out too:

http://www.racquettech.com/store/learningcenter/lc_combinedswtbal.html

Fedace
03-01-2009, 07:18 AM
Yes, alu power does seem to weigh more. but Pro Hurr tour and Big Ace weigh even more than the Alu power. If you are extremely sensitive like me, then this maybe bothersome.
I have gone away from Alu power all together and strictly use the Proline2 now.
occasionally mix in the Spiky shark but i noticed that Spiky shark is also heavier than the Proline 2.

PED
03-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Corners, thanks for that link!! I saw it around six months ago and have been looking for it since. I figured that since adding 2g moved the SW from 321 to 326 that the multiplier was 2.5 so adding another 1.2g will get me to that magical 329!

Fedace, I do like the PL2-nice punch and good spin too. I was surprised that it was lighter than alu. What do you think about the spiky shark-I've not tried that one yet. I think the PL2 is much much better than BA-I had a much easier time getting the ball up and down with the pl2. It's hard to justify that $16 price on alu when you can get the pl2 for almost half of that.

PED
03-07-2009, 07:28 AM
One more piece of comparison. I just cut out the PL2 and restrung that same stick with full BBO and the weight went right back up to 345g, same as with full alu. For comparison, the PL2 stick came in at 343 FWIW ;)