PDA

View Full Version : Nadal French Open - Will he win w/o losing a set

vtmike
02-27-2009, 08:23 AM
We all know Nadal is the red hot favourite to win the French...hell its a foregone conclusion he will win the French unless he gets mono or something :)

Created a poll to see how many sets you think he will lose in this years French Open?
I think he has a good chance of making it without losing a set considering the fact that he is so high on confidence right now...esp since Murray isn't that great on clay, Djokovic's fitness level is always suspect, and Fed just goes into LaLa land when he plays Nadal...

I still hope Fed finally wins his first French but not sure if he can regain his confidence in time for Roland Garros :(

saram
02-27-2009, 08:25 AM
I didn't see a poll. And he will lose more than one set.

vtmike
02-27-2009, 08:25 AM
sorry just added the poll...

soyizgood
02-27-2009, 09:05 AM
Nadal will probably drop a set just to get his motivation level up. He won last year's FO without dropping a set if I'm not mistaken.

OddJack
02-27-2009, 09:08 AM
He will lose 3 sets, all in one match.

GameSampras
02-27-2009, 09:08 AM
Nope I say he gets injured and either forfeits or gets upsetted. IM STICKING TO IT!!:)

tennis_hand
02-27-2009, 09:14 AM
not looking good for nadal this FO with the knee injury.
he has to play a lot of masters before FO.
and knee injuries are never good for a tennis player.

GameSampras
02-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Maybe the knee problems wont pose an issue for Nadal at RG, but I do believe they will. He played some heavy tennis on the Hardcourts and had a quite a bit of court time there late AO. He may not be fully recovered at RG.

miyagi
02-27-2009, 09:35 AM
Think he will be fine if he feels a twinge in that Knee he will retire....

But I think he will lose a 2/3 sets

federerdomination
02-27-2009, 09:47 AM
He will lose 3 sets, all in one match.

I think I should add:

to federer :)

saram
02-27-2009, 10:42 AM
sorry just added the poll...

Thanks...I voted 3+.

I don't think Rafa wins RG this year...

tahiti
02-27-2009, 11:16 AM
He'll lose one set. But my bet is Rafa is pacing himself this year, he's learnt his lesson and the rests are just that, "rests"
precautionary measures. My bet is he's going for the US Open more than the FO.

cknobman
02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Nadal will be lucky to make finals much less win this year.

Injuries will ruin it, mark my words.

tahiti
02-27-2009, 11:49 AM
Nadal will be lucky to make finals much less win this year.

Injuries will ruin it, mark my words.

Well aren't you a bundle of joy:twisted:

VivalaVida
02-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Nadal is gonna lose in straight sets to Tsonga :twisted:

icedevil0289
02-27-2009, 11:55 AM
Nadal is gonna lose in straight sets to Tsonga :twisted:

how is tsonga on clay?

JoshDragon
02-27-2009, 11:55 AM
I think I should add:

to federer :)

Not a chance. Federer's one chance to win the French came in 2006 when he was up 1 set to love in the finals. After losing that match I don't think he had the confidence needed to win the French Open. Roger's lost four times in a row to Nadal at the French. Last year he was embarrassed. What makes you think this year will be any different?

VivalaVida
02-27-2009, 11:57 AM
how is tsonga on clay?
hasnt proved himself on the red stuff yet. My comment was not serious, I just said it because Tsonga is really entertaining to watch

icedevil0289
02-27-2009, 11:59 AM
hasnt proved himself on the red stuff yet. My comment was not serious, I just said it because Tsonga is really entertaining to watch

lol I know. I was just curious. I think he's very entertaining to watch as well. I just became of a fan of his recently.

edberg505
02-27-2009, 12:00 PM
how is tsonga on clay?

He's ok. Nothing like he is on grass though. He pretty much missed the entire clay and grass season last year. I only saw a few of his matches on clay. We'll see how he is this year with his improved backhand.

As to the OP, if he shows up, I don't think he drops a single set.

ksbh
02-27-2009, 12:16 PM
It'll be a tall order for anyone to just take a set off the world's No 1 on his favorite surface after grass.

icedevil0289
02-27-2009, 12:18 PM
It'll be a tall order for anyone to just take a set off the world's No 1 on his favorite surface after grass.

:confused: Nadal's favorite surface is grass? He wins one wimbledon and all of a sudden it comes his favorite surface and then comes clay?

ksbh
02-27-2009, 12:30 PM
What has result got to do with fav surface? Using the same logic, Wimbledon should not have been the slam that Nadal desired the most considering that he had never won there prior to 2008.

You're getting favorite surface and best surface mixed up. Clay is Nadal's best surface but grass is his favorite surface.

:confused: Nadal's favorite surface is grass? He wins one wimbledon and all of a sudden it comes his favorite surface and then comes clay?

icedevil0289
02-27-2009, 12:39 PM
What has result got to do with fav surface? Using the same logic, Wimbledon should not have been the slam that Nadal desired the most considering that he had never won there prior to 2008.

You're getting favorite surface and best surface mixed up. Clay is Nadal's best surface but grass is his favorite surface.

oh sorry, I guess I was confusing best surface with favorite surface. I just assumed clay was rafa's favorite surface just like fed's favorite surface is grass as well as his best surface, well it was anway.

ksbh
02-27-2009, 12:42 PM
No problem, ID0289! Rafa never made a secret of the fact that he loves grass. It's one of the reasons he does so well on grass. He's a great player on any natural surface, such as clay or grass.

I won't be too surprised if he retires with 4 or more Wimbledon titles.

oh sorry, I guess I was confusing best surface with favorite surface. I just assumed clay was rafa's favorite surface just like fed's favorite surface is grass as well as his best surface, well it was anway.

OddJack
02-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Rafa Nadal has peaked out, just sit and watch. Tendons are spent, left knee is screwed up, pain killers dont work anymore. You shine the faster and brighter you burn out sooner, period. Just like shooting stars, lovely but short lived. Nothing the freaks can do about it.

ksbh
02-27-2009, 12:45 PM
You don't have to go around sharing your Sunday Church prayer with everyone.

Rafa Nadal has peaked out, just sit and watch. Tendons are spent, left knee is screwed up, pain killers dont work anymore. You shine the faster and brighter you burn out sooner, period. Nothing the freaks can do about it.

icedevil0289
02-27-2009, 12:46 PM
No problem, ID0289! Rafa never made a secret of the fact that he loves grass. It's one of the reasons he does so well on grass. He's a great player on any natural surface, such as clay or grass.

I won't be too surprised if he retires with 4 or more Wimbledon titles.

I wouldn't be too surprised either, but as long as those wimbledon wins aren't at federer's expense.

OddJack
02-27-2009, 12:54 PM
You don't have to go around sharing your Sunday Church prayer with everyone.

I dont believe in prayers actually. Best it can do is just sooth your mind. But if you do you better go to work cuz you gonna need it.

janipyt05
02-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Nadal will lose sets but he will win it again, Rafa is just a different beast when he gets on the clay, yes at some point his going to lose but this year its not going to happen

OddJack
02-27-2009, 01:04 PM
BTW, Nadal is the record holder for two things in history:

1- Number of the same type injuries by age 22.

2- Lost every poll in TT forums.

tahiti
02-28-2009, 12:43 PM
he's also the record holder for the most consecutive wins on clay.

TheTruth
02-28-2009, 12:56 PM

That distinction might belong to Tsonga, no?

edberg505
02-28-2009, 01:09 PM
That distinction might belong to Tsonga, no?

Nah he's had a ton of different injuries, shoulder, back, stomach, knee...

TheTruth
02-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Nah he's had a ton of different injuries, shoulder, back, stomach, knee...

Wow! I thought the back was the only recurring injury.

Cloudy
02-28-2009, 01:41 PM
depends on his knees

edberg505
02-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Wow! I thought the back was the only recurring injury.

Yeah, that was the main injury that prevented him from making a smooth transition from the juniors to the ATP tour and then it just started going down hill from there. That's the reason he's played so few slam events.

Cloudy
02-28-2009, 02:05 PM
Rafa has always said clay is his favourite surface. He likes grass and wanted to win wimby but he loves playing on clay.

tennis-hero
02-28-2009, 04:21 PM
Interestingly i was just reading and messing with some numbers of Borg and Nadal at the FO

in 2008 Nadal lost a total of 41 games

In 1976 Borg lost 32 games
in 1978 Borg lost 38 games

also to reinforce how good Lendl actually was, in 1981 before the final, borg hadn't lost a SINGLE set, and had lost a total of ONLY 39 games- Lendl pushed him to 5 sets- and this was 4 years before Lendl's prime!!!

I think the best way to determine how dominant a player is during a slam is to see how many games they lost, not just sets

EXAMPLE

in 1995 Agassi lost a set at the AO (against Sampras) but lost only 60 games total- pretty impressive

ESPECIALLY when you consider that when Roger Federer was RED HOT in 2007 and won the Australian open without dropping a single set, he STILL lost 72 games!!

P_Agony
02-28-2009, 04:27 PM
Anyone who thinks Nadal will lose the FO this year isn't living in reality. He's going to win, and he will probably do it with losing just 1 set or none at all.

NamRanger
02-28-2009, 04:38 PM
He's losing to Davydenko, so it doesn't matter.

Ronny
02-28-2009, 04:39 PM

WOW u really hate him...bitter fedfan? go cry:cry:

edmondsm
02-28-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't think it will be as easy as last year. He very well might be hurting a bit. He'll drop 2 sets, in the early rounds. Then he'll be on a roll and run the table. Of course this is all IF his knee(s) are ok.

thalivest
02-28-2009, 10:08 PM
If you ask a question if he will win without losing a set why once would you not even include your own thread question as an option in the poll.

thalivest
02-28-2009, 10:10 PM

If Davydenko actually had the nerves for a slam semi I would probably give him the best shot of anyone currently vs Nadal at the French. Of course the operative word is "if" in this case.

saram
02-28-2009, 10:10 PM

I simply love it!

RoddickAce
02-28-2009, 10:12 PM
Law of probabilities-wise, around 2 or 3, but based on past performances and going by my instincts, probably 1.

Blinkism
02-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Nadal has as good a chance as he's had for the last 4 years. Hopefully, if he does win again this year, it will be more challenging than before and if he does meet Fed in the final, hopefully it'll be more exciting and unpredictable as last year's final (something closer to the Wimby 08 and AO 09 finals, but no choking in the fifth set!).

What's this knee injury I keep hearing of? When did Nadal get injured? He complained about knee pains after losing in Rotterdam, but we'll only know if he's actually injured pretty soon when the Davis Cup comes up.

No need to speculate so soon, guys!

Cyan
03-01-2009, 01:00 PM
I can see Nadal winning the FO. How many sets will he lose? Dont know.

arnz
03-01-2009, 03:11 PM
I can see Nadal winning the FO. How many sets will he lose? Dont know.

Wow talk about going out on a limb with your prediction :)

tennis_hand
03-01-2009, 05:44 PM

ya. we forgot Davy.

oneguy21
03-01-2009, 05:50 PM
Nadal isn't known for just dominating players out right with bagels and breadsticks (not saying there are many players who bagel regularly). He just grinds it out and stays in the match and thus it may take more sets for him to win even against lower ranked players, but he wins nonetheless. And so, I think by the 4th round, he'll start losing some sets, but he'll win the tournament.

matchmaker
03-01-2009, 06:03 PM
Nadal isn't known for just dominating players out right with bagels and breadsticks (not saying there are many players who bagel regularly). He just grinds it out and stays in the match and thus it may take more sets for him to win even against lower ranked players, but he wins nonetheless. And so, I think by the 4th round, he'll start losing some sets, but he'll win the tournament.

On clay he is known for bageling and breadsticking his opponents. I think over the whole FO of last year he lost an average of about 2 games per set.

mental midget
03-01-2009, 06:25 PM

i remember him roughing some people UP last year, good players like almagro.

these threads popping up about kuerten, bruguera, muster . . . nonsense. nadal's competition right now is borg, and history.

edmondsm
03-01-2009, 07:20 PM

Nice. I'll go with that.

Blinkism
03-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Just to add, this is Nadal's first time as top seed. This means he'll have the easier path to the final than everyone else (especially in the earlier rounds). Add to the fact that since the last French Open he's won Wimbledon, the Olympics, and the Australian Open, and hit the #1 Rank, i'm sure he has much more of a mental advantage over any potential opponent, especially on clay (being 4 time FO champion without ever losing a match there helps!)

Keep that in mind!

breadstick
03-01-2009, 10:24 PM
He'll lose 3. In the final.

Nah, Nadal is a freak on clay. Unless he gets injured, I think he wont lose a single set.

Ripster
03-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Wow talk about going out on a limb with your prediction :)

Hahaha I laughed quite hard when I read your response to that one.

rubberduckies
03-01-2009, 11:16 PM

Did you not watch last year's French Open? Nobody has been as dominant at a Slam since Borg. Roger certainly has never come close to that level of dominance, not even at the Australian in 2007. He gave Fed a bagel and breadstick and gave Almagro 3 breadsticks. He had at least 2 bagels/breadsticks in each match except against Belucci and Djokovic. He had at least 1 bagel/breadstick against everyone except Djokovic.

Sentinel
03-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Just saw this thread. No option for 0 sets in the poll ???

+1 ;-)

norbac
03-02-2009, 09:09 PM
He'll lose 4 sets in the same match and still win the tournament...

...wait, what?:shock:

halalula1234
03-03-2009, 03:24 AM
he'll loose 3 set in one match to federer

arnz
03-03-2009, 04:39 AM

Yes that can happen if they make it best of nine sets. So he loses the first 4 and wins the fifth set in a tiebreak. At the start of the 6th set, the opponent gives up :).

PS Djokovic, upon hearing that the final is to be best of nine, purposely retires in his semifinal match against Roger due to a sore pinky :)

P_Agony
03-03-2009, 04:53 AM
he'll loose 3 set in one match to federer

Wishful thinking too much?

Clay lover
03-03-2009, 06:52 AM

He's Chuck Norris:)