PDA

View Full Version : tension adjustment

muddlehead
02-27-2009, 07:49 AM
have a new to me k six one 95 strung at 55lbs. need it to be much closer to 42-43 lbs. anyone know of a way to loosen instead of removing entirely and putting in new ones at a new string job cost? (( used to be, in good old days for us old timers, a string patch job to save money when a string broke. asked my twenty something son about that and he had no idea what i was talking about))

Caloi
02-27-2009, 10:43 AM
I've been scolded for leaving my racquets in my trunk year 'round. They say it'll tweak the tension a lot. I don't notice it since I restring every 3 weeks whether it needs it or not.

Or, just get it restrung. It's really not THAT much is it? (Unless it's nat. gut)

jhp49
02-27-2009, 03:46 PM
I successfully used a hair blow dryer to drop a synthetic gut string job for 31 DT to 27 DT (ERT 300 stringbed stiffenss units). Place the racquet on a counter or floor and heat the strings gradually. Monitor the frame and don't let it get too hot. The strings transmit heat. It helps to have an ERT 300 to monitor the tension. It may take 3 or 4 sessions to drop the desired tension. It's the same theroy as strings getting hot in the trunk of a car. You can also use a heat gun but you have to be very careful. I have a hurt shoulder and the racquet played great after lowering the tension.