PDA

View Full Version : Quizz time!

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Which players in open era have won a slam as their very first title? Which players in open era have won a slam as their very last title on the tour? Good luck to all for finding the answers!

vive le beau jeu !
02-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Which players in open era have won a slam as their very first title? Which players in open era have won a slam as their very last title on the tour? Good luck to all for finding the answers!
wilander-kuerten for the 1st one !
and the 2nd one, mmmh more original question... sampras, ivanisevic... korda too ?
gomez ?
... and nadal !!! :p

EDIT
i was wrong with gomez... he won a title in 1991, after his 1990 RG. any other ?...

R'EDIT
there could be safin too, but i hope he will win something this year before retiring... :?

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 09:27 AM
wilander-kuerten for the 1st one !
and the 2nd one, mmmh more original question... sampras, ivanisevic... korda too ?
gomez ?
... and nadal !!! :p
You're very good :).
Both Wilander and Kuerten won RG for their first title. Do you know who they beat in the final? Kuerten was 20,8 and Wilander 17,9 (this guy's precociousness was INSANE, it will never stop amazing me!) There is a third guy who won a slam as his first title but he's not very well known, so I don't know if anybody is gonna find him! It's interesting that noone ever won Wimbledon or USO as their first title....
For last slam Sampras is correct of course, it was the USO. Ivanisevic who won Wimbledon (his only slam) at 29,9 and Korda (AO) are also correct. Gomez won RG late in his career but it was not his last title. There are 2 other guys who won a slam last and 1 of them was Spanish (and NO IT WASN"T RAFA :twisted:).

NickC
02-27-2009, 09:31 AM
There are 2 other guys who won a slam last and 1 of them was Spanish

Was it Alex Coreja, no?

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Was it Alex Coreja, no?
Corretja has never won a slam, sorry!

vive le beau jeu !
02-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Corretja has never won a slam, sorry!
al costa ?

vive le beau jeu !
02-27-2009, 09:36 AM
ah for the 1st slam / 1st win... maybe edmonson ? as he even wasn't ranked in the top 200 when he won his AO in the 70's !

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 09:39 AM
al costa ?
Congrats, you're right! He won RG at 26,11 (2002) and it was his last title. You're also right about Safin. His last title was 2005 AO. Actually, there is one more guy but the first part of his career was not in open era.

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 09:40 AM
ah for the 1st slam / 1st win... maybe edmonson ? as he even wasn't ranked in the top 200 when he won his AO in the 70's !
You're amazing! Correct!

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Now for a new quizz: which guys won a slam on their first try, ie the first time they ever played that slam?

vive le beau jeu !
02-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Now for a new quizz: which guys won a slam on their first try, ie the first time they ever played that slam?
while i was giving water to my plants... i was wondering when this one would come from you ! ;)

mmmh i only see wilander (RG) and agassi (AO), nobody else. :)
(..... ah si, i see : jimbo too !)

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 10:22 AM
while i was giving water to my plants... i was wondering when this one would come from you ! ;)

mmmh i only see wilander (RG) and agassi (AO), nobody else. :)
(..... ah si, i see : jimbo too !)
Almost flawless but of course you forgot the most important, the one and only: Nadal :p Wilander and Nadal RG, Agassi and Connors AO but Agassi had already won slams, it just that he started playing AO very late in his career. For Nadal, Connors and Wilander, it was their first slam, 1st title even for Wilander, that has to be an absolute record! (How are your plants doing?)

Hops
02-27-2009, 10:28 AM

RG
Nadal
Kuerten
Wilander

AO
Agassi
Kriek
Vilas
Gerulaitis (?)
Teacher (?)

woodrow1029
02-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Rafa Nadal. Don't know of any others.

beneszilo
02-27-2009, 10:31 AM
Difficult question :D

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Kuerten did it on his second try (not first), he lost in the first round the first time! Vilas also won AO on his second try. Same thing for Teacher, I'm not sure about Gerulaitis. (answer to Hops)
About the first quizz, Newcombe also ended his career wins on a slam (AO).

vive le beau jeu !
02-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Almost flawless but of course you forgot the most important, the one and only: Nadal :p Wilander and Nadal RG, Agassi and Connors AO but Agassi had already won slams, it just that he started playing AO very late in his career. For Nadal, Connors and Wilander, it was their first slam, 1st title even for Wilander, that has to be an absolute record! (How are your plants doing?)
they are doing fine, thx !
ginky (my ginko) is again resuscitating after faking to be dead during the winter. ;)

PS: damned newcombe ! didn't know that... :p

SoCal10s
02-27-2009, 11:12 AM
Boris Becker maybe Borg

veroniquem
02-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Boris Becker maybe Borg
Neither of them. Even though they won their first slam very young, it wasn't on their first participation...